BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Open Your Heart ● 30 Years
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 19th February 2017, 02:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

February is the month of love and, coincidentally, it's been 30 years since 'Open Your Heart' - one of Madonna's biggest and best pledges for love - reached #1 on the Billboard charts.

The story goes that 'Open Your Heart' started out as a rock and roll number for Cyndi Lauper, but was eventually given the dance-pop treatment from Patrick Leonard and became the first recording in the True Blue sessions. It's hard to deny that, in its final form, 'Open Your Heart' is 80s pop at its finest. Madonna knows the importance of holding the listener's attention at every point of a song, right from the moment the first few notes kick in, and this intro is nothing short of striking. The original drum beat getting started; the twinkly keyboard melody; the whispered "watch out!" that assures the listener they're about to be be witness to something truly remarkable - it's all so exciting and throws you right into the song. Madonna mixes sadness and hope in the verses as she plays with the idea of there being a special someone for everyone but recognises that, for various reasons, there may be something preventing this love from truly igniting. The chorus, as ever, summaries the main message of the song through short and snappy hooks; Madonna uses an analogy of keys and locks fitting to represent two people compatible with one another, with an encouragement to push through the trials and tribulation to allow the love to flourish. It's a simple message but one that works so well in pop and it gives Madonna the chance to really sell the track with her yearning, high and low ranged vocal.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 19th February 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Tour performances:

+Quote this post
vibe
post 21st February 2017, 12:38 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

What a great opener for the WTG tour, the BA was kind of a repeat performance.

OYH was my fav MDNA performance.

I love this track, i like that her vocals are quite deep here, not the hardest to sing along to in tune lol.

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 21st February 2017, 04:31 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548

i love her but Cyndi would have murdered this.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 21st February 2017, 10:17 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Amazing song. wub.gif wub.gif

A lot of longing in this.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 21st February 2017, 11:04 PM
Post #6
Group icon
User: 13,007

This is one of her purest, most honest and beautiful songs ever. It ranks so highly for me and it has stood the test of time wonderfully. A truly incredible cry for love :'(

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 21st February 2017, 11:05 PM
Post #7
Group icon
User: 13,007

NOTHING BUT LOVE 💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙

+Quote this post
Regina
post 21st February 2017, 11:09 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

One of her very best

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 26th February 2017, 01:09 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Fabulous song! I never got it when I was younger but it has now risen so far ahead of the other True Blue singles for me, easily in her top 10 of all time. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 26th February 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It's great to see so much love for this! The True Blue singles are so incredibly solid but I think this could be my second fave, just behind 'Papa Don't Preach'.

Should have been a single after 'Papa' with 'True Blue' taking the Christmas release, I think.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 4th March 2017, 02:13 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 21 2017, 12:38 PM) *
What a great opener for the WTG tour, the BA was kind of a repeat performance.

OYH was my fav MDNA performance.

The crowd interaction on the MDNA performance is great but I feel the joy and euphoria is no longer present in the song. The Who's That Girl Tour performance captures that wonderfully; I particularly like how natural and unpolished it is with her just skipping around the stage with a big grin on her face.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 08:03 PM