BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forthcoming Spice Girls Documentary, Netflix?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Apr 17 2022, 09:38 AM
Post #1
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Latest news 25th July 2022: http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=7151640

--------------------

They rose to fame at warp speed nearly 30 years ago and now the Spice Girls have teamed up with a Star Trek devotee to make a candid documentary about their stellar career.

J. J. Abrams, who has directed hugely successful Star Wars and Star Trek movies, approached the girls with the idea.

Sources say Geri Horner, Emma Bunton, Melanie Chisholm and Melanie Brown have all agreed to co-operate with the film – and Posh Spice Victoria Beckham is tempted to join in too.

The documentary would tell the story of the band’s rise to stardom in the mid-1990s and feature interviews and unseen material from their personal archives.

Mr Abrams and his business partner, Hollywood movie director Jason Hehir, are now shopping the project around streaming giants including Netflix.

‘The four girls have committed to it and it’s happening,’ said an insider. ‘It has been developed and it’s now going out to streamers as part of a bidding war.

‘Victoria is open-minded about it which the others are really optimistic about, because previously she has flatly refused to take part in any kind of reunions.

‘But this is high-end and, most importantly, won’t require her to sing as she has insisted that she will never do so on stage again.’

Mr Abrams, 55, is regarded as one of Hollywood’s top directors and his firm Bad Robot Productions is currently working on a reboot of the Superman movie franchise.

A source close to the documentary said: ‘There have been similar projects about The Beatles and One Direction, but there is real excitement about this.

'It will give millions of Spice Girls fans an exclusive insight into life during those years.’
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Apr 17 2022, 12:47 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

I mean it’s something I guess but meh…

Apparently someone spoke to Mel B who said the animated movie was cancelled but something more exciting was coming… I hope she didn’t mean this 🤣

+Quote Post
schizo_spice
post Apr 17 2022, 01:08 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,574
   No Gallery Pics

I dont think the animated movie would've worked anyway.

+Quote Post
dromeda
post Apr 17 2022, 02:36 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 94,913
   No Gallery Pics

I think this is perfect. JJ Abrans has a different view about things. He working on a Spice Girls project is something I would never predict 😂

+Quote Post
Piers
post Apr 17 2022, 04:04 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 69,521
   No Gallery Pics

I'm admittedly not up on my British newspapers/tabloids...but...is Daily Mail especially reliable? If JJ Abrams was really shopping around a Spice Girls doc to Netflix, I'd kinda think a Hollywood Reporter or Variety might report on it.

But. Anyway. For now, let's just pretend there's some truth to this.

I'd be a little split on yet another documentary. I feel like Giving You Everything delivered as much as we can honestly expect out of a group so guarded. I feel like the story of them has been told...a lot. So a doc would need to dive into some interesting new territory.

To me, one interesting angle of their story that no one's ever tackled is their forced fall from success in the US market. In 1998, they had two albums sitting in the top ten albums chart...and US radio, MTV, and VH1 was basically pretending they didn't exist. Radio/video play was nearly nonexistent for the clear biggest pop act in the country. The thought of any of them having another US hit by 1999 seemed impossible. What happened? My guess has always been that record companies for the homegrown upcoming pop acts knew the Spices were their competition...and worked behind the scenes to remove the threat. Whatever the case may be, there has to be some interesting dynamics in the 90s pop music world to explore there. Furthermore, what was at play in the Grammy's public refusal to nominate them? Their other pop contemporaries of the time got nominations.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Apr 17 2022, 05:59 PM
Post #6
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

I've seen a few fans complaining about the idea of another documentary. I know that we've seen them all and are very familiar with their story. If it is true that they'll have a Netflix documentary, there's so much potential for them to reach viewers around the world who've never seen a previous documentary and may not know all that much about the Spice Girls. Particularly the younger generation that might not know all that much beyond Wannabe. So I'm not against the idea of this, if it's true! Though I do hope that there would be details that hadn't previously been shared before. Plus it's high time they put more focus on the Forever era.

Daily Mail probably can be taken with a pinch of salt though!

That would be a very interesting point to focus on Piers, re: the sudden lack of support in the US. Certainly not something that's been discussed much. Perhaps sacking Simon Fuller had some repercussions? They were still such a relatively new artist, barely months into their US career. Hmm!

+Quote Post
Spice Girls Net
post Apr 17 2022, 06:10 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 64,815
   No Gallery Pics

Rather than a rehash of another GYE where we find out the career I want a full 1994-present day story (Spice Girls, Simon Fuller, people from Virgin, photographers etc) documenting the actual phenomenon showing lots of clips of concerts, crowd, performances, unseen footage) along with a cinema release. Make it an event (a dream would be another Cannes Film Festival appearance)

Or like everything these days it goes onto Netflix have a date where it will launch worldwide similar to Friends, Harry Potter etc. Not necessarily the sit down, round table style but make it big and make it exciting

+Quote Post
Blond 2.0
post Apr 17 2022, 06:41 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,576
   No Gallery Pics

Another documentary mellow.gif what else there to tell blink.gif

+Quote Post
Piers
post Apr 17 2022, 08:49 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

The documentary idea does have a bit of "least effort possible" feel to it...which is, of course, par for the course with them.

However. I do agree with Jay that they need to up their global visibility...and a doc on Netflix honestly would do it.

I've been in a few stores lately...checking out all the graphic ts..and it's really striking to me how much more stuff there is for the other 90s pop acts over the Spices. There were shirts for the Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Britney, Hanson, New Kids On The Block, En Vogue, TLC. Action figures and bobbleheads for most of the same acts. Granted, nearly all of these acts (except Britney and NSYNC) have toured through my city recently...or they're about to. But it's also noticeable that BSB still gets I Want It That Way played in major commercials...like the song never went out of style. If you go to my downtown, the music pouring out of all the bars is NSYNC, Britney, and BSB. By comparison...the Spices just have the Lego thing and these Coinmaster ads...which...don't seem to have been noticed by much of anyone but the fanbase?

Point being. Somebody's doing a pretty good job of keeping these other acts' legacies alive. And the ball's getting dropped on the Spices.

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Apr 17 2022, 08:54 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217

J. J. Abrams is huge though, stop complaining spice fans! you got a half arsed spice 25 this will be bigger!

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Apr 17 2022, 11:21 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

I don't mind another documentary, as long as it is interesting and as Piers says, it dives into new stuff we don't know.

HOWEVER, if they are all going to be on the documentary, can we PLEASE have them all together for it FOR ONCE???? I'm very bored of their official documentary interview style where they are always alone.

One Hour of Girl Power was ICONIQUE because it had them all together vibing. The individual interviews were cute for a while, but we need these girls to do a group interview please!!

+Quote Post
Piers
post Apr 18 2022, 12:31 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Apr 17 2022, 05:21 PM) *
I don't mind another documentary, as long as it is interesting and as Piers says, it dives into new stuff we don't know.

Yeah. The subject of how the music industry could make or break an artist at their will has always been an interesting subject to me.

To me, the Spices' US career trajectory has a lot in common with Cyndi Lauper's and Paula Abdul's. All three exploded onto the scene with huge first albums with multiple hits. That initial fame seemed to propel them through second album eras. Then...all three had third album eras that were doomed...despite the fact they all carried very commercial material. It just seemed like the promotional machine of MTV/radio had quit on all of them. You could claim the audience moved on. Or was their fate being controlled?

I get the Spices' situation with Forever is a complicated one with a few factors at play...but I literally never heard Holler on the radio and MTV definitely didn't give it an inch beyond (a probably contractually required) debut on TRL. Then, TRL turned around and named it the worst video in their history which was absurd.

Anyway. It's not that I think a whole doc should be about that angle. But if they did a little multi-part series...maybe the Spice Girls story could be a springboard to look into a few subjects relevant to music in general...the evolution of commercial endorsements, industry reactions to an act being so outwardly pro-woman and pro-LGBT, how the music industry makes or breaks artists, etc.

+Quote Post
Equinox8
post Apr 18 2022, 01:11 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 132,865
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Blond 2.0 @ Apr 17 2022, 06:41 PM) *
Another documentary mellow.gif what else there to tell blink.gif

Willing to bet that The Chizz' upcoming autobiography will be more insightful than anything else!

+Quote Post
Sideout
post Apr 18 2022, 08:29 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 113,700
   No Gallery Pics

If they do a new documentary it should mostly focus on the music and not the drama. The majority of people think they were a manufactured group that didn't write their own material.

+Quote Post
Equinox8
post Apr 19 2022, 12:50 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 132,865
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Sideout @ Apr 18 2022, 08:29 PM) *
If they do a new documentary it should mostly focus on the music and not the drama. The majority of people think they were a manufactured group that didn't write their own material.

Great point! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Apr 19 2022, 10:44 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Sideout @ Apr 18 2022, 08:29 PM) *

I kind of agree. They should absolutely talk more about the making of the music, their process, etc, too!

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Apr 19 2022, 04:03 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,988
   No Gallery Pics

Sheryl Crow has a big career documentary soon and to coincide with it is releasing a sort of GH but 3 discs, includes hits, album tracks, 3 unreleased songs and rarities.

Something like that would work very well with a Spice Girls documemtary, especially one on a big strraming service. It could easily have a few unreleased tracks from the archives that 30 seconds of each could be in the documentary.

+Quote Post
Spice Girls Net
post Apr 19 2022, 04:44 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 64,815
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Apr 19 2022, 05:03 PM) *
Sheryl Crow has a big career documentary soon and to coincide with it is releasing a sort of GH but 3 discs, includes hits, album tracks, 3 unreleased songs and rarities.

Something like that would work very well with a Spice Girls documemtary, especially one on a big strraming service. It could easily have a few unreleased tracks from the archives that 30 seconds of each could be in the documentary.

That would work well if it coincided with a tour or Spiceworld 25

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Jul 25 2022, 10:53 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

According to Mel B, they have signed on to do a new documentary with the same team that did The Last Dance documentary series

So it looks like we will definitely get another doc soon!

You can check her interview with The Project (australia TV show) here: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=775392690150749

This post has been edited by Mr.X: Jul 25 2022, 10:53 AM

+Quote Post
schizo_spice
post Jul 25 2022, 11:15 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,574
   No Gallery Pics

I hope it has some different insights.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:49 AM