BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ONE YEAR OF ME!, Hey Kids, Anniversaries are FUN!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Apr 26 2020, 01:17 AM
Post #1
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

It is one year since the lead single of the Lover era, alongside its music video, was released!!! what are your thoughts on Me!? what memories do you have of the release? would you have released this as the lead single? (lol)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Apr 26 2020, 01:23 AM
Post #2
is in hibernation
Group: Banned
Member No.: 21,161

I stanned over this when it was out (it's a Taylor lead single how could I NOT) and the song is still a pleasant listen (lol!) but as a lead single? Outta here with that Kids Bop Karen realness. I'm not surprised it underperformed. I don't think it really harmed her album sales though that much, there was always going to be a come down from Rep.

Like don't get me wrong it's decent, but when I Think He Knows and The Man are there? Lead single I think not frankie.png

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Apr 26 2020, 01:32 AM
Post #3
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

I acc can't believe its been a year.

The build-up was amazing. I remember when the instagram posts 'countdown' started and the 5 holes in the fence/all the clues/the fact WE WERE GONNA GET SOMETHING AT THE IHEART RADIO AWARDS. just for it to be an announcement that we'll be the first to know when new music is coming. a let down, SO MANY THEORIES and I was so ready for new music in mid-march. Anyhoo then we had the next countdown on the 13th April for 13 days and ofc I was hyped like crazy AGAIN, that was sfg *.* Seeing the countdown in person at Westfield's was amaze *.* iconic. I was so ready for it. Then the day before basically everything leaked but the song, the song title leaked, the feature leaked and everything went crazy. and then I was ready to do my usual stay up all night for my 5am Taylor single-release, but I failed and fell asleep at 4:55!!! (I had worked a +12hr shift the day before x)

I bopped to this so much when I heard it. I loved it instantly (apart from that certain line that then got removed, and now I miss it). Seeing the initial reaction was a messT and gutting, but not too surprising after hearing the song so many times. this missing #1 in the US was gutting. and well this was just not what we were expecting after all the image recovery since Rep/Delicate and all the hints that this was going in a sophisticated/v mature way and we got this kids bop.

On the song itself, idc I do love it. I still occasionally bop to it and I do use it often. it's catchy and charming. The video is honestly so good and pretty underrated, I think it's my fave video of the year and I stan so many of the looks (and ofc this was the start of 75000 other Easter eggs). I mean I've listened to this over 600 times I think so ofc I love. the Billboards music awards performance was fab. But I just wish this was never the lead single ahh :///// It's just not lead single worthy, it should've been at best an instant grat or a soundtrack single released after Lover's lead came out (I remember the rumours this was for the secret life of pets 2 and I wish that was true and this was just kept for that oops). It's probs on my top half of Lover but only just (whereas previous leads SIO & LWYMMD were top 2).

For lead single idek what I would've gone with. I Think He Knows was the lead before me! was recorded, I would've preferred that as the lead and I think it would've done well but I don't feel like it would've smashed massively (it could've tho, there was potential). I think for lead single for me it's a three-way-tie between The Man, Cruel Summer and Lover - The Man would be perfect as the polarising statement lead single were used to from Taylor & with a better vid I think it could've been big as the lead, Cruel Summer would've received an amazing reaction, shown a good direction & been a big hit and the title track would've shown so much growth, would've been unexpected to lead the era with a slower song and I feel it really could've been massive as the lead & won a main grammy (But then again I expected it to be much bigger when it was released). I feel I would've gone with The Man, then Cruel Summer in the summer and Lover in the winter. Nothing else on the album would've worked as a lead, quite honestly I think Me! might be like my 7th/8th pick on the album for lead, I didn't think it'd be that high oops kink.gif

and the other thing that annoyed me was THEY SHOULD'VE RELEASED THIS IN MID MARCH. I remember when everyone was expecting this to drop around 8th/15th March with all the teasing, everyone was so hyped and perched. It was like LWYMMD again which was perfect as it was just hype after hype for the one week before it dropped. The chart competition was so weak then (7 Rings/Sucker etc at #1 weren't doing massive numbers in the US and she could've been #1 in the UK too). And ofc this ends up coming out at the end of April where the hype feels lost a bit. And ofc she then runs into Old Town Road worldwide and Vossi Bop in the UK on release week :// this could've been such an easy #1 and the fact that it missed everywhere, despite having one of the highest point totals ever in America on opening week, ugh I really wish the lead was released in March. (I would've gone The Man on 8th March, YNTCD as promo 7th June, Cruel Summer 5th July)

whew I have so many thoughts, more will probs come later x

also the fact this randomly climbed to #11 on album release week in America and nearly blocked Lover from a top 10 peak makes me scream.

+Quote Post
Monzo
post Apr 26 2020, 06:55 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 349
   No Gallery Pics

I loved it back then, still loving it. Me or You Need To Calm Down would have been my only lead single choices from Lover. Looking back it would have been better to release YNTCD first, followed by Cruel Summer. I can't see a song with the title Cruel Summer getting a release in 2020.

This post has been edited by Monzo: Apr 26 2020, 06:56 AM

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 26 2020, 11:58 AM
Post #5
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

This definitely ranks fairly low down on my 'Lover' album ranking sad.gif She always misfires with her lead singles for me - she tries too hard to cater to the mass public and give us the most bubblegum pop friendly stuff when she is so much stronger away from that.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Apr 26 2020, 06:07 PM
Post #6
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I enjoy it in a guilty pleasure way, but you have to admit this is near enough completely forgotten now.

I really do think the video is excellent though!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Apr 26 2020, 06:31 PM
Post #7
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

I still love it :')

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Apr 26 2020, 06:57 PM
Post #8
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Love it even though I’m not as obsessed with it as I was this time last year. But yeah with the polarizing reaction (which was surprising considering this was closer to 1989 Taylor than it was to reputation Taylor) and the bad timing of this getting overshadowed by Old town Road... I’m not surprised it flopped

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Apr 27 2020, 08:46 AM
Post #9
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

'Me!' has settled as being my least favourite song on Lover. I actually don't mind the song, but I was far from ever being wowed by it and she had much stronger choices to go with as a lead single imo!

I think she should have gone with 'The Man' first, it's more of a statement and I think it would have set the tone of 'Lover' as an album/era more effectively. 'Cruel Summer' second, and then 'Lover' third but with a release that was closer to Christmas.

Judging by her documentary she had huge faith in 'Me!' being the one, she was highly excited by it and clearly her team/the label must have been on the same page as her. I feel like they thought it was a really obvious safe choice/huge hit, without sensing that it had the potential to be highly polarising.

+Quote Post
Slick
post Apr 27 2020, 09:05 AM
Post #10
electric butterflies
Member No.: 70
   No Gallery Pics

This is not a classic Taylor song. 'You Need To Calm Down' will be much better remembered, imo.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Apr 27 2020, 12:32 PM
Post #11
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

I prefer this to You Need To Calm Down and the video is one of my favourite videos of last year too.

The song itself is good but a bit immature sounding, but at the same time I can see why she and her label thought it was safe. You can see in the documentary she believed in it a lot and probably assumed it would have a Shake It Off like appeal.

I’m with Haus though her leads are usually not the best and she tends to have stronger follow ups.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 27 2020, 12:40 PM
Post #12
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

I was really into this when it was released, I think it came out at exactly the right time when I needed a fun musical pick-me-up. I still love the video but I grew a bit tired of the song, especially when I saw the quality of what else was on offer on 'Lover'. In retrospect I'd have preferred 'Cruel Summer' as the lead

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Apr 27 2020, 04:00 PM
Post #13
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I think probably 'Cruel Summer' should have been the lead, with 'You Need To Calm Down' as a promo single soon after (I feel it's important this was released in some way along with the video, for the statement it made), 'The Man' as the second proper single maybe in August, and then 'Lover' alongside the album in about October.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:51 PM