BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One, Harley Quinn) - 3rd April 2020
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Mart!n
post May 29 2019, 04:53 PM
Post #1
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Members
Member No.: 2

wub.gif

FANTABULOUS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post May 29 2019, 09:43 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,585

OH MY. It’s too far away cry.gif

+Quote Post
Severin
post Oct 1 2019, 06:40 PM
Post #3
Mansonette
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

+Quote Post
Addy!
post Oct 7 2019, 09:19 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 2,666

<3

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 7 2020, 06:26 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Totally dominated by Margot Robbie, who's still-amazing performance overshadows all others to a supporting role. Good to see Rosie Perez back in a big feature though. As a comics fan, I'm bemused by the reboot of Black Canary into a literal black Canary, I've never been a fan of using the name Black as a superhero starter codename unless it has an actual point to it (like Black Panther named after the animal). Birds Of Prey are OK concept, I always liked Huntress and especially Black Canary/Dinah Lance going back to, cough, the very early 70's. Harley Quin I loved from conception to now, and Margot is the definitive version, no question.

It's a bit of an amoral film, and violent, though the soundtrack music is good, the pace is good, the direction good, but the disjointed timelines as the stories of the characters unfold is mildly annoying, and the ability to not get shot dead is stretching it a bit. 7/10. It would be 6 as a film, but y'know Margot Robbie = +1 for that alone.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Feb 8 2020, 02:58 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

Yikes. The estimates are in for this weekend and this is going to really flop. They’re predicting a $34 million US opening.

I’m shocked. I knew the estimates have been low for a few weeks but I was expecting them to be way off, especially with the solid reviews. Less than half of what Bad Boys For Life opened with.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 8 2020, 08:06 AM
Post #7
I found the love, I found the love in me
Member No.: 5,042

I think this might hold up better, due to reviews. But taking that into account and it's still an underwhelming opening weekend!

Suicide Squad really hindered the opening for this it seems. Gahhh.

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Feb 8 2020, 05:20 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

This wasn't groundbreaking but omg it was so so much FUN and so entertaining from start to finish. I wouldn't be put off by Suicide Squad in the slightest, this felt like a completely different film!

Margot Robbie is honestly one of the best actresses right now too.

+Quote Post
Severin
post Feb 8 2020, 10:12 PM
Post #9
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

I get the feeling that positive word of mouth will give the film some legs. Whether it'll be enough to avoid being labelled a flop I'm not sure but it will do well on streaming/blu ray in the end.

+Quote Post
Severin
post Feb 8 2020, 10:15 PM
Post #10
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Feb 7 2020, 06:26 PM) *
Harley Quin I loved from conception to now, and Margot is the definitive version, no question.

I too love Margot in the role but the I still think Arleen Sorkin IS Harley Quinn. And they've yet to properly nail Harley's style in the films which hasn't helped

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 9 2020, 01:43 AM
Post #11
I found the love, I found the love in me
Member No.: 5,042

My review on Letterboxd.

The first half was a real slug to get through. The 2nd half was OTT, silliness but really fun. I liked Margot & Jurnee a lot but Mary Elizabeth Winstead and her character - Huntress - was amaze. So bad ass!

Ewan McGregor's performance is honestly award worthy. For the Razzies, but still, it's an award?

The story was a mess. I don't like it when films stop half way through and do mini recaps of "how we got here" it just ruins the flow of the story. The script was hella clunky too.

Had the script and story been more consistent, this coulda been a very good film. Good/strong central characters and a really fun 2nd half, but you have to make it through the first half first.
I liked it. I just wish it was more consistent and that the first half had more to it and didnt do recaps as much as it did. Ughhh. I hate it when any film does that.

But Mary Elizabeth... ����

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:38 AM