BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andrew's Top 25 Ariana Album Tracks, Finished! full ranking Pg.4
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Andrew.
post May 25 2020, 09:40 PM
Post #1
is in hibernation
Group: Banned
Member No.: 21,161

hi.gif I wanted to do a proper rank of Ari's songs (the songsorter isn't the most accurate lbr) but I figured if I did a 'normal' one with singles etc it'd just be the same old songs being ranked and discussed. So I'm doing a rank of my favourite 25 album tracks from our high-ponytail wearing superstar. Every album is represented, some more than others obvs! I'll leave y'all to guess which ones have the least x

I'll be completing this over the next week or two, seatbelts on. Michelle.png

This post has been edited by Andrew.: Jun 17 2020, 04:38 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 25 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #2
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Hyped for this wub.gif

+Quote Post
JulianNial
post May 25 2020, 10:09 PM
Post #3
Julian Nial
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 18,454
   No Gallery Pics

Our taste has been known to be pretty similar, I'm intrigued! happy.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 25 2020, 10:11 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Woo! I shall be commenting along!

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post May 25 2020, 11:04 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

Sounds fun biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 25 2020, 11:25 PM
Post #6
is in hibernation

Thanks guys heart.gif I'm not sure the thread will be as popular when you've all seen some of my choices though kink.gif Let's get an early start:

Honourable Mentions

Because Ariana has such a spotless discography for me (a grand total of 2 filler tracks on her albums, excluding Yours Truly as I haven't gone back to about half of that since I listened two weeks ago), there was a bit of a battle for that last spot on the countdown. There were seven album tracks AS WELL as these four I would've been happy to include. She is the actual queen of albums cheeseblock.png But these were the three that didn't quite make the cut.

'Make Up' is nothing other than an incredibly cute, vibey track here which is mega underrated! I say vibey because I always have to be 'in the mood'/happy to listen to it, it's a cheery song which just makes me think of good times. I can't confirm or deny that the Fenty Beauty line had a hand in it's honourable mentioning. I don't get why people dismiss this as filler so often, is it just too cute? Am I too easily pleased? Probably tbh.

'Almost Is Never Enough' is another track which doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I don't think Nathan is the most popular male singer she could've collaborated with which drags down it's place in most people's estimations kink.gif But their voices blend so well together along with the piano backing to create a lovely ballad. You can tell they were together at the time! One I actually knew quite early on but didn't go back to much until I started getting more into the Yours Truly era recently.

Something else that just misses out is the Cashmere Cat collaboration 'Be My Baby'. On my first listen of 'My Everything' last month it immediately stood out for it's slick production. It's such an instant album track and the verses in particular are so lively (lol) and springy am I making sense? The production makes it. As I've listened more and more (btw when will the NTA performance effect kick in and send it top 200? tell me y'all get that) and been as acquainted with My Everything as her last three albums, other tracks have overtaken but this is still more than worthy of a mention.

Finally, while there's actually a few songs I haven't mentioned I'd put above it I thought I'd throw some love to 'Lovin' It' just because it stands out as a favourite from 'Yours Truly' and I could see this being top 25 in a future update. The poppy production is addictive, I'm weirdly terrible at remembering song names/how they go initially but this just wouldn't leave my head until I remembered what it was! A solid bop from her first album. It reminds me a lot of Dua’s Good In Bed which for me and only me works in its favour kink.gif

The top 25 is starting tomorrow!

This post has been edited by Andrew.: May 25 2020, 11:29 PM

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 25 2020, 11:37 PM
Post #7

None of those are essential tbh so I can live with them not making it laugh.gif 'make up' is probably my least favourite on 'thank u, next', I just find it a bit flat. I did have to laugh at Ari introducing the song with "where my 'makeup' stans at?" on the Sweetener World Tour live album though :') 'Almost Is Never Enough' is really dull oops, probably my least favourite on 'Yours Truly' also lmao, definitely does not justify its length as one of the longest on the album! 'Be My Baby' is cute enough but my least favourite of the three Cashmere Cat collabs. 'Lovin It' probably the best of the bunch but one of the more forgettable tracks on 'Yours Truly'.

Looking forward to the top 25 happy.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 25 2020, 11:50 PM
Post #8
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Jade @ May 26 2020, 12:37 AM) *
None of those are essential tbh so I can live with them not making it laugh.gif 'make up' is probably my least favourite on 'thank u, next' oops, I just find it a bit flat. I did have to laugh at Ari introducing the song with "where my 'makeup' stans at?" on the Sweetener World Tour live album though :') 'Almost Is Never Enough' is really dull oops, probably my least favourite on 'Yours Truly' also lmao, definitely does not justify its length as one of the longest on the album! 'Be My Baby' is cute enough but my least favourite of the three Cashmere Cat collabs. 'Lovin It' probably the best of the bunch but one of the more forgettable tracks on 'Yours Truly'.

Looking forward to the top 25 happy.gif

If I’d been at the tour I would’ve been the only one to respond kink.gif The fact she probably likes Make Up more than Touch It though puts tears in my eyes as much as I enjoy Make Up though laugh.gif

The thing that stopped AINE from being in the top is the length yeah, it’s a 3.5 minutes song not a 5.5 D:

I’ve never heard the other Cashmere Cat songs properly ohmy.gif I think I heard Quit once years ago and found it kinda hmm, it might’ve been the one he did with Selena though which shows the impression it made on me laugh.gif I seemed to be a lone wolf with the ‘Lovin’ It’ love on the Yours Truly listen through!

Thanks for your comment heart.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 27 2020, 01:42 PM
Post #9
is in hibernation

25. Better Off
Track 12 on 'Sweetener'

After MUCH deliberation, 'Better Off' takes the prestigious title of Ariana's 25th best album track *____* The song includes obvious references to her relationship with the late Mac Miller (sad.gif), and the fact Ari never sang it on tour shows us how personal the song is to her. It took me a while to develop the love I have for this, when I fell for 'Sweetener' near the end of 2018 it was Better Off, TLIC and Blazed (that one's still poop oops) that I'd yet to feel much for, this sounding a bit dull to me. And how wrong was I?! 'Better Off' is the perfect ballad on an album which lacks slightly in that respect, and it sounds particularly beautiful in winter as well wub.gif Any Ariana song with strings is automatically improved and they just add to the haunting-ness of Better Off. A beautiful song to start off with heart.gif

Favourite lyrics: Let's put them topics to bed and go f*** on the roof, just to say that we did it
On the road a lot, gotta keep it 1000

24. Bad Idea
Track 6 on 'thank u, next'

jump.gif I got a badddddd idea, how bout we take a little bit of time away jump.gif 'Bad Idea' was one of the few conventional pop songs on the thank u, next album. For that reason, it was an instant stand out for that sheer popiness and catchiness it had, bearing in mind that I liked the album on first listen but a few of tracks (which you may or may not be seeing in the future of this countdown) were growers. There's still a darkness in the song which is prevalent on the whole album, the beats in the chorus give it a grittiness which really gives the track an extra edge. So it still feels like a tu, n track. This is such a party-ready song which makes it great, it's one of those where I just wanna scream out the words even as I'm typing lol. It has been overtook by other songs on the album which have revealed more to me after the first few listens but that doesn't make this any less fab.

Favourite lyrics: Forget about it, yeah, forget about him, yeah, forget about me
But, boy, don't trip (Don't trip), you know this isn't real
You should know I'm temporary

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 27 2020, 02:07 PM
Post #10

The quality of this countdown already cheeseblock.png

I feel like I perhaps underrate 'Better Off' a bit due to the standard of some of her other melancholic album tracks. It's maybe not as essential as 'ghostin' for instance, also about Mac, but it is captivating in its own way when it's on. As for 'bad idea, I definitely underrated that at first - when the album came out I charted the singles plus at least 'ghostin', 'NASA' and 'bloodline' off the top of my head, while this was nowhere to be seen ohmy.gif but yeah, it was such a grower, what a banger! The outro is so idiosyncratic for an Ariana song too. What an album 'thank u, next' is, looking forward to that listening session soon heart.gif

+Quote Post
JulianNial
post May 27 2020, 02:36 PM
Post #11
Julian Nial
   No Gallery Pics

I'm a massive 'bad idea' fan. I have to admit I like many underrate 'better off' but it's actually one of the stronger tracks on 'sweetener' for sure!

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post May 27 2020, 05:13 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Bad Idea is my favourite of the two so far. Such a great big pop song. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 27 2020, 06:45 PM
Post #13
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Jade @ May 27 2020, 03:07 PM) *
The quality of this countdown already cheeseblock.png

I feel like I perhaps underrate 'Better Off' a bit due to the standard of some of her other melancholic album tracks. It's maybe not as essential as 'ghostin' for instance, also about Mac, but it is captivating in its own way when it's on. As for 'bad idea, I definitely underrated that at first - when the album came out I charted the singles plus at least 'ghostin', 'NASA' and 'bloodline' off the top of my head, while this was nowhere to be seen ohmy.gif but yeah, it was such a grower, what a banger! The outro is so idiosyncratic for an Ariana song too. What an album 'thank u, next' is, looking forward to that listening session soon heart.gif

And it only gets better cheeseblock.png Thanks for the comment x

I agree about Better Off being easy to underrate, in the grand scheme of her ballads I can see why it wouldn't be a standout. Bad Idea is a banger I can agree *.* It's that bop. Yasss can't wait! <3

QUOTE(JulianNial @ May 27 2020, 03:36 PM) *
I'm a massive 'bad idea' fan. I have to admit I like many underrate 'better off' but it's actually one of the stronger tracks on 'sweetener' for sure!

Thank you Michelle.png Yeah ik that a lot of people can't really get behind the Pharrell productions on Sweetener so hopefully the calmness of this compared to...Sweetener bop it for example is a bit more appealing laugh.gif

QUOTE(LewisGT @ May 27 2020, 06:13 PM) *
Bad Idea is my favourite of the two so far. Such a great big pop song. wub.gif

Thanks! <3 Yeah me too, I'm glad she found time for typical Ari bop on 'Thank U, Next' as much as I love the rest of it.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 28 2020, 02:24 AM
Post #14
is in hibernation

23. Moonlight
Track 1 on 'Dangerous Woman'

'Moonlight' is the first track from her best album to drop and what a wonderful opener wub.gif So dreamy and romantic, it sums up the Dangerous Woman era in one. The instrumental section is my fave, it makes me feel so cuddly inside blush.gif Ariana's vocal are pure perfect, there's a subtleness about them which adds to the gentle nature of the whole song (English essay realness *.*) I can't fault this apart from it's not in the favourites category, it almost acts as her best opener. So damn CUTE. The lyric 'you could have moonlight in your hands' sums up that cosy vibe. Love this <3 As I said, it's almost the best opener...

Favourite lyrics: The sun is setting and you're right here by my side
He's so bossy, he makes me dance

22. Imagine
Track 1 on 'thank u, next'

Two openers here! I can't say I was too enamoured with 'Imagine' on first listen. It was the second song we heard from thank u, next and I remember my debut play of it being holding my phone to my ear in Spanish :') This came at the time when I was obsessed with 'thank, u next' (next) and had only just began stanning Ariana after liking her but not LOVING her throughout the years (sometime in 2018 I actually went through a brief phase when I was kinda off on her for some reason can we shoot my past internet presence please) so my expectations were high but this was just...there. But I soon saw sense, as the wistfulness and yearning for a perfect love got to me and gave me love for the song. I wouldn't have the minimality of it any other way. heart.gif The drawn out imaaaaaaagine's are breathtaking and I imagine she'd have been a bit breathtaken too after holding that note Michelle.png There's no other word to describe this other than beautiful, my listening of it has simmered down a lot more than some of the other album tracks though.

Favourite lyrics: tell me your secrets, all of the creep shit
Love how my face fits so good in your neck

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 28 2020, 07:43 AM
Post #15

Ooh two lovely album openers there! I'm glad Ariana mostly treats us to full length ones (3/5) as nice as her shorter intro tracks can be. Both of these very quickly remind us how great of a vocalist she is. 'Moonlight' is very dreamy indeed <3 it was instantly a song I gravitated towards from 'Dangerous Woman', it hasn't held up as one of the very best for me over the years but still great. On the flip side, 'imagine' turned out to be a massive grower! I originally remember finding it a little dull when I first heard it on the chart show. But it eventually clicked in a big way! Her whistle notes are particularly heavenly on it heart.gif

+Quote Post
JulianNial
post May 28 2020, 10:01 AM
Post #16
Julian Nial
   No Gallery Pics

Yes both very beautiful! Ari is SO good at album openers.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post May 28 2020, 04:43 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Moonlight is my favourite of her opening tracks and Imagine would be a close 2nd.

The whistle notes on Imagine are everything!

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 28 2020, 07:32 PM
Post #18
is in hibernation

Thanks for commenting guys! heart.gif

QUOTE(Jade @ May 28 2020, 08:43 AM) *
Ooh two lovely album openers there! I'm glad Ariana mostly treats us to full length ones (3/5) as nice as her shorter intro tracks can be. Both of these very quickly remind us how great of a vocalist she is. 'Moonlight' is very dreamy indeed <3 it was instantly a song I gravitated towards from 'Dangerous Woman', it hasn't held up as one of the very best for me over the years but still great. On the flip side, 'imagine' turned out to be a massive grower! I originally remember finding it a little dull when I first heard it on the chart show. But it eventually clicked in a big way! Her whistle notes are particularly heavenly on it heart.gif

She is the queen of openers! (when she bothers x) as gorgeous as Raindrops is a full song would be better. The Intro on My Everything...insert RuPaul meh gif.

QUOTE(JulianNial @ May 28 2020, 11:01 AM) *
Yes both very beautiful! Ari is SO good at album openers.

They're such a winning combination of songs. All the openers set the stage for the mess/beauty to follow *.*

QUOTE(LewisGT @ May 28 2020, 05:43 PM) *
Moonlight is my favourite of her opening tracks and Imagine would be a close 2nd.

The whistle notes on Imagine are everything!

They're soooo gorgeous wub.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew.: May 28 2020, 07:32 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 28 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #19
is in hibernation

21. Be Alright
Track 3 on 'Dangerous Woman'

'Be Alright' is a full out bop. I know the lyrics meant a lot to some people but that's never been what's it about for me, it's that house beat wub.gif I took this very early from the album as it's one of Ariana's most dancey songs and it's a style that suits the girl! What I love is that the bopitity never stops, it's an absolute banger right the way through. Something different on 'Dangerous Woman', I could actually see this more on 'My Everything' but a bop is a bop as the bible says! clap.gif

Favourite lyrics: Baby, don't you know
All o'them tears gon' come and go
But daylight is so close
So don't you worry 'bout a thing

20. Hands On Me (feat. A$AP Ferg)
Track 11 on 'My Everything'

When I first listened to 'My Everything' and saw the results of the recentish rate on here, I was horrified to see that this came 12th, and out of the actual songs only beat the deluxe tracks mellow.gif Single or not, when a Jessie J track beats you on Buzzjack that's not a good indicator. But the reason I love 'Hands On Me' is how infectious it is. It might not be the most innovative/original of her songs but when you've got a grinding TUNE like this who even cares? It's emerged as one of my favourite album tracks from My Everything (stay tuned as there's a few more above it x #hype) A$AP Ferg, whoever that is oop, repeating the same verse twice is lazy but his part is a bop so I'm not too mad. Not one of her absolute best obvs but a fun sensual song that needs more love.

Favourite lyrics: You just keep your eyes on my you know what
Eyes on me, dance on me tonight

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 28 2020, 08:05 PM
Post #20

I'm definitely one of the people that cherishes the lyrics of 'Be Alright' a lot! It's one of the most hopeful songs I've ever come across - so perfect for 'One Love Manchester' heart.gif of course the production is great too though, it's weird as I wasn't huge on tropical influenced music at the time but this is an exception! Gotta love the choreography that she wheels out for it too. 'Hands On Me' is a bit underrated I agree, a diet bop kink.gif not a massive 'My Everything' highlight but not the total non-event that it's made out to be. She really went in hard with the amount of features on that album laugh.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:27 AM