BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 60th anniversary of the albums chart, Will we find out some all-time sales?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JCM20
post 14th May 2016, 11:36 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 22,819

I'm eagerly anticipating some all-time stats and sales figures. The last update we got was two years ago, but some albums (such as Thriller, Bad and Bat Out of Hell) haven't been updated since 2012, the same year we got the all-time singles, and some others are 7-10 years out.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
fiesta
post 15th May 2016, 12:20 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 232

I wouldn't imagine they'd be many recent albums entering an updated list as album sales have been poor in recent years.

+Quote this post
ben08
post 16th May 2016, 02:40 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 5,152

Will there be an accompanying OCC book with facts and figures?
Are we past the cut-off point for sales data?

+Quote this post
ben08
post 27th May 2016, 04:52 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Coming soon ....

Best-Selling Albums: From Vinyl Records to Digital Downloads. Hardcover – 28 Nov 2016 by Dan Auty (Author)
Publisher: Amber Books Ltd (28 Nov. 2016). Amazon pre-order £17.08

"Thriller, Sgt. Pepper, Dark Side Of The Moon, Rumours, Born In The USA, Up!... these are just some of the epoch-defining albums of the past six decades: albums that have appealed to fans across genres, albums with songs that have imprinted themselves on our collective memory. Based on recording industry sales figures, Best-Selling Albums is the definitive guide to more than 100 chart-topping records of the past six decades. From Miles Davies and Nat King Cole in the 1950s to Adele today, Best-Selling Albums features the most successful artists in the history of recorded popular music. Alongside old favourites and recognized classics including several albums by The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Eminem there are enough surprises here to amaze even the most dedicated music buff. Would you have guessed that Norah Jones's bluesy album Come Away With Me would be the top-seller of the 2000s? Or that the biggest soundtrack of the past 20 years is the collection of bluegrass songs from the movie O Brother, Where Art Thou? Every album is illustrated with a sleeve artwork, front and back, providing a fascinating overview of the evolution of record cover design across the decades. Each entry is packed full of information, including background on the recording of the album and its place in cultural history, as well as a full track listing and detailed musician and production credits. In addition, there are listings of the biggest-selling movie soundtracks, the top 100 albums by sales, and much more."

Wonder if this refers to USA albums?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 27th May 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

The mention of the Grammys and the reference to Norah Jones tell me it's the American chart.

+Quote this post
The Hit Parade
post 27th May 2016, 10:41 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,521

I think Up! is the real giveaway that it's the US chart.

+Quote this post
fiesta
post 28th May 2016, 10:53 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 232

It seems that chart related books are still going strong in America, where as over here there is nothing sad.gif the Book Top Pop Singles 2015 is coming out next month, which is the American equivalent of the now defunct British Hit Singles.

This post has been edited by fiesta: 28th May 2016, 10:54 AM

+Quote this post
ben08
post 28th May 2016, 01:11 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

After further research this is an update of a book first published in 2005 (which you can buy on Amazon for £0.01 plus £2.80 delivery). It is based on RIAA certificates with some Soundscan data thrown in. The original book only had a top 10 for the start of the 2000s decade and had Nora Jones on 10.8m. It excluded greatest hits albums.

Unfortunately nothing yet from the OCC regarding a best selling albums book. If they do put a list on their web site I hope there are sales figures given. But will BPI certificates synchronise with these updated sales totals? There were some upgrades in February.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 28th May 2016, 02:45 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

To mark 60th Anniversary of Albums, Royal Mail are releasing a set of Pink Floyd stamps with album covers as stamps ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

https://shop.royalmail.com/issue-by-issue/m...cat/musicgiants

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 09:14 PM