BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
17 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Persephonia / National Thread, BJSC 120: Vegyn - Debold
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post 14th September 2018, 01:16 AM
Post #281
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 14/09/2018
mega catchup edition [2/5]

BJSC 106

never gave two shits

J.I.D for 106

For our 85th main contest entry in BJSC 106 (held in Land of DW), we decided to go for a hip-hop track with all male vocals, because that's a strategy that has totally never flopped for us. Atlanta rapper Destin Route, known by the name J.I.D, came to our attention after featuring on the annual 'freshman list' of up-and-coming hip-hop stars compiled by XXL magazine, and on a list mostly full of artists in the vein of Lil Pump - including Pump himself - J.I.D stood out for miles as a real lyrical talent, very much along the lines of the likes of Kendrick Lamar and Anderson .Paak. Our chosen entry, 'NEVER', was released as his second single back in December 2016 a few months ahead of his 2017 debut album 'The Never Story', released on the Dreamville label founded by J. Cole. As of yet J.I.D hasn't really seen any mainstream success (beyond a few million views on a couple of his songs on YouTube) but with Cole's backing it can surely only be a matter of time right xx This entry brought to an end our run of seven straight entries that were either instrumental or had vocals in non-English languages. Luckily we've started a new run of those now.

'NEVER' is split into two very different sounding halves (separated by a long interlude in the music video below, but it's definitely all the same song we promise), the first half being very dark and moody and featuring a rather explicit hook in which J.I.D raps about the struggles of making anything of his life, while the second half is a bit more upbeat and throws away any semblance of a pop song structure to just be a couple of minutes of increasingly fast paced lyrical flexing. I'm not quite sure what this part has to do with the narrative in the first half but hey it sounds good, and it's got a couple of funny quotable lines in there. Another slightly

Another more chilled offering from J.I.D that we'd recommend y'all to check out if you're interested is 'EdEddnEddy', and his freestyles (solo and with fellow up-and-comer Ski Mask The Slump God) for the XXL freshman class are well worth a listen too.

'NEVER' was drawn in slot 16 of 27 in semi-final 1. Not that it matters what semi-final it was in because after the disasters of Yung Lean and BROCKHAMPTON there was no way we were ever qualifying with this right? Over in slot 24 in semi-final 2 we were very happy to see a certain former Persephonian act finally appearing in the contest again, as WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA (from our BJSC 77 entry 'Shakushain') appeared alongside Moodoïd on Terra Avium's entry 'Langage'.

They thought it would NEVER happen, but J.I.D makes the final!

As it turns out we actually did somehow qualify! (Okay it wasn't THAT unexpected but we were very happy to qualify this time after flopping with our last couple of pure hip-hop entries). That brought our qualification streak up to 4, giving us our 64th finalist to date and 5th of a possible 6 in 2018 to that point. There was no change at the top of the list for the longest qualification streaks as Aeroche and Cor Lupus continued cruising to a 20th final in a row each - a pretty rare achievement in BJSC history - while South Danaelanda became the sole holders of closest challengers to the leaders, getting to an 8th final in a row as FSR Rontvia lost their streak after 7. 'NEVER' was drawn as track 35 of 37 in the final.

As in the previous contest we sadly lost 4 of the songs we voted for in our semi-final - there were DNQs for the rebranded Beaverdonia Impakt Nation (our 6 pointer 'Always' by Panama), Espen (4 pointer 'Blue Girl' by Chromatics), Suedeonia (3 pointer 'M62' by Little Comets) and Holland-Oats (1 pointer 'Gold' by Chet Faker). We only lost one of our top 10 from the opposite semi-final though, Odetta Hartman's 'Misery' (which we had ranked 7th) which had a deduction as Kluminican Republic did not vote but it turned out that it wouldn't have qualified anyway.

BJSC 106 summary

- As expected 'NEVER' delivered us our lowest finish and lowest points total in a final in 2018 to date but we were just grateful to have got that far, we hoped to avoid the bottom 10 but it wasn't to be as we ended up in 29th out of 37 with 138 points. It actually wasn't our lowest number of voters in the year to date though as it received points from 21 other countries, six more than 'Coping' in BJSC 104 and even one more than 'Grustnaya Suka' in BJSC 101, as it picked up a surprisingly high number of trickle points. For much of the reveal it seemed like it might have been a national embarrassment in being our first entry for years to rank in no one's top 2, or even top 3, but we were saved by an extremely unexpected late game 18 from, of all countries, Taahino. Never did we expect them to be the one country giving one of our entries a medal position laugh.gif but we are highly grateful xx It was then revealed that the song had been one that only scraped into the final, coming 17th out of 27 in the semi-final with 52 points (7 more than the highest DNQ), giving it a projected final position of 32nd.

- BJSC 106 didn't end with a fifth first-time winner in a row, but it did continue the theme of 2018's contest winners all being either first-timers or countries that had not won for quite a few years: Fljótavík picked up an unexpected fourth win and their first since Vaults' 'Cry No More' in BJSC 58, taking home the gold with 314 points courtesy of the stunning 'Hypocrite' by Jean-Michel Blais and CFCF. That 47-contest dry spell between wins wasn't quite as long as the 72-contest one République d'Ashton endured before their repeat win in BJSC 101, but it was over a year longer than the previous second longest such run. 'Hypocrite' gave them their 12th top 5 hit and 23rd top 10 to date, and also gave them the rights to host BJSC 107, the first time they've hosted since BJSC 50 as they passed on hosting privileges after their last win. The classical/electronic hybrid was a very rare instrumental winner, only the third in the main contest following our own 'Cry For Freedom' by Jay Dabhi and Moises Modesto in BJSC 67 and Beaverdonia's 'Aide' by Bang La Decks in BJSC 85 (and it joined only ours in the list of completely instrumental winners as 'Aide' did include non-lyrical vocals). Despite being pretty niche as far as BJSC winners go, the full 18 points we awarded to it was surprisingly one of only two maximum scores it got, the other being from Flynnonda, though it did get 15 points from a further seven countries. Fljótavík were also the winners of semi-final 1, only their second semi-final win following Foxes' 'Youth' in BJSC 41 (which was also their first final winner, with Fibes, Oh Fibes!' 'Cerahtonia' providing their second 8 contests later). It's rare for Persephonian voters' favourite song to win the contest - this was only the fifth time ever - so this was quite a moment to behold, especially as the song hadn't been discussed much as even a potential winner unlike the previous winners we gave top marks to which had all been pretty hotly tipped.

- Two contests after cracking the top 10 for the first time in style with 3rd-placed 'Ends Of Time' by NWYR, Cowtermont improved on their national best again with their second top 10 hit, landing in 2nd place with 297 points with the CYA remix of Moby's 'This Wild Darkness' (which was also the longest song in the final at just under 8 minutes). A first win for this nation surely can't be far away with the form they're on of late. 'This Wild Darkness' got the most 18s of any song in the contest, taking home top marks from 6 countries. Completing a top 3 that were well ahead of the rest of the pack was Unovia in the bronze medal slot on 284 points with Big Fish's 'Vain', featuring their own Worldvision II winning artist Elisa. 'Vain', like both of the top two, was also over the five minute mark in run time, unusually long for an Unovian entry. It gave them a second top 10 hit in a row and a 9th top 5 and 18th top 10 hit to date. Summericia sat out the previous two contests but their return was a groundbreaking success as they landed in 4th place on 247 points with Brianna's 'Lost In Istanbul', their first top 5 hit and third top 10, besting their old #9 peak (CRIM3S' 'still goin', BJSC 91). Could they possibly capitalise further on this comeback success? thinking.gif Completing the top 5 was the understated 'Birdsong' by Claptone featuring Zola Blood on 234 points, which gave Jadakissnia their fourth top 5 and 12th top 10 hit to date (and did about as well as the trio of RÜFÜS DU SOL entries which came top 5 in quick succession in BJSCs 98 & 100 and the Andra Chansen spinoff, with which it shares a very similar sound). 'Birdsong' was the winner of semi-final 2, Jadakissnia's second semi-final win following MssingNo's 'Scope' in BJSC 88, though it was not near as overwhelming a win as that had.

- Niceland continued a highly successful year getting their third top 10 hit to date, all this year, lodging a 6th place finish with Hooverphonic's 'Romantic'. Like Summericia, Frandoot made a return to the contest (their first appearance since BJSC 100) and were rewarded with their biggest hit to date. They were already guaranteed a new peak as soon as they qualified as their only previous qualifier out of five attempts, HyunA's 'Red' in BJSC 80, came 38th and there were only 37 songs in the final of BJSC 106. As it happens they went well above that anyway as they got a first top 10 hit, landing in 7th with Call Me Loop's 'Love The Lie' (the fourth, and easily most successful, appearance in BJSC in the span of 14 contests for Call Me Loop, all ironically coming after she was vetoed with another song back when she was much less well-known). St. Burbia finished 8th with Kara Marni's 'Love Just Ain't Enough', their second top 10 (and 8th place) finish in a row and 7th in total, giving them sole claim to the record of 'most top 10 hits without ever coming top 5'. Making it three returning nations in the top 10, Oslol came back from a one-month ban to come 9th with Kelli-Leigh's 'Do You Wanna Be Loved Like This?', becoming the sixth top 10 hit that they were denied after they forgot to vote in the final of BJSC 104. Taking the last top 10 slot, Quintessa celebrated their 50th entry anniversary with Ólafur Arnalds' 're:member' which delivered them a second top 10 in a row and 6th in total (their first top 10 hit to not also be a top 5 hit) as well as keeping them at #1 on the year to date rankings. It might be the last time we get to see Ólafur in the contest as he only avoided the veto here due to it being an anniversary entry - but it made him 3 for 3 in making the top 10 with his BJSC main contest entries as a named artist, with a fourth entry as one half of Kiasmos just missing out in 11th place.

- The drought of new countries extended into a third contest in a row, but there was one country making the final for the first time: Enty had missed out on the final with three previous entries in BJSCs 71, 73 and 98 (the first two under their former name Sãó Ricó) but their latest return brought them more success, as they qualified and finished a solid 21st place with Tom Grennan's 'Found What I've Been Looking For'. Their debut entry 'Samaya Samaya' by Egor Kreed had until then remained their most successful with a 22nd place finish in its semi-final. No other countries (besides Cowtermont, Summericia and Frandoot as already mentioned) reached new peaks.

- Beyond the four returning countries already mentioned, there were a further four comebacks, although only one of those made the final: Ramrynia made a return after skipping BJSC 105 (the first contest they'd missed since their debut in BJSC 37) and finished 19th with Hannah Jane Lewis' 'Frozen Frames'. Daehun also debuted in BJSC 37 and entered every contest after that until missing BJSC 105, in their case due to a one-month ban for not voting in the final of BJSC 104. They missed the final with their comeback entry. The most long-awaited comeback of the contest was Mulgracia who had missed the previous 11 contests but their comeback fell just short of qualifying. Finally, Kluminican Republic entered again after missing the previous two contests but it was a quiet comeback as they failed to vote in either the semi-final or the final, leaving them as the only nation given the one-month ban for BJSC 107. Their deduction in the semi-final made no difference as unfortunately they'd have failed to qualify regardless.

- Very nearly everyone in the final got over the 100 points mark but Aesthetica's entry fell just short in taking home the wooden spoon - they came 37th out of 37 on 98 points with Tiffany Young's 'Over My Skin'. At least it had the consolation of being their first entry by an Asian artist to make the final since C2C's 'Hobgoblin' in BJSC 92 - of their 11 entries in between only two of them made the final and both were by Western artists, against the usual grain of their back catalogue.

- Other noteworthy results: Skall came 12th with Rina Sawayama's 'Ordinary Superstar', just short of giving them a first top 10 hit since Christopher Tin's 'Baba Yetu' (feat. Soweto Gospel Choir) came 2nd all the way back in BJSC 62 but still the best result of their six top 20 hits since then (their last two top 20 appearances both came 20th, meaning this is the first time they've seen the teens since BJSC 70 when they came 14th with Korallreven's 'Death Is Not For Us'); Terra Avium came 17th with Moodoïd and WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA's 'Langage', a decent enough amount of justice after WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA only came 36th when we sent them; Altyr Muunilinst's 26th place finish with 'Just Friends' by Hayden James featuring Boy Matthews gave them their first entry of the year to come higher than bottom 5 in the final, an abnormally unsuccessful year for them, also giving some justice for when Hayden James infamously came an unexpected last place in the semi-final with 'Something About You' for Altyr in BJSC 73; hosts and sole auto-qualifiers Land of DW came in 27th with Keys N Krates' 'U Already Know'; Ultraviolenceland rounded out their trilogy of novelty entries since their BJSC 104 comeback with their first appearance in a BJSC final since the 100th contest, coming 28th with the iconic 'Shopping In Lidl' by Mercedes Benson (karmically one position ahead of our entry #lidlrevenge); Beaverdonia rebranded as 'Beaverdonia Impakt Nation' for this contest but it wasn't impaktful enough as their entry under the new name fell just short of the final.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 106

Final

Points awarded:
18 Fljótavík // Jean-Michel Blais and CFCF - Hypocrite
15 Terra Avium // Moodoïd and WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA - Langage
13 Aelandor // SONOIO - Enough

12 Land of DW // Keys N Krates - U Already Know
11 Dobago // TEPR - Hello E
10 Cowtermont // Moby - This Wild Darkness (CYA Remix)
9 Quintessa // Ólafur Arnalds - re:member
8 Jadakissnia // Claptone - Birdsong (feat. Zola Blood)
7 Trifoski // Blue October - I Hope You're Happy
6 Unovia // Big Fish - Vain (feat. Elisa)

5 Rolloland // Rollo Goes Camping - Get Off Your High Horse (Big, Bold Brassy Mix)
4 Skall // Rina Sawayama - Ordinary Superstar
3 Séyetana // Inova - Sunken
2 Hushkanukia // Notimes - On U
1 Aeroche // Recycle Culture - AYA

16th-36th:
Yehesi // Baby Blue - Run (TDH Remix) (feat. Wretch 32)
South Danaelanda // Sonny Fodera - Always Gonna Be (feat. Alex Mills)
Niceland // Hooverphonic - Romantic
Cadelicia // Elodie, Michele Bravi and Guè Pequeno - Nero Bali
St. Burbia // Kara Marni - Love Just Ain't Enough
Ultraviolenceland // Mercedes Benson - Shopping In Lidl
Enty // Tom Grennan - Found What I've Been Looking For
Summericia // Brianna - Lost In Istanbul
Bøtanikkä // Ashton Love - Ones We Hate
Ramrynia // Hannah Jane Lewis - Frozen Frames
Bhangra // Peg Parnevik - Loafers
Vülkyria // Jack Wins - Freewheelin' (feat. Caitlyn Scarlett)
FARC // KING - Mango
Oslol // Kelli-Leigh - Do You Wanna Be Loved Like This?
Frandoot // Call Me Loop - Love The Lie
Aesthetica // Tiffany Young - Over My Skin
Ojnoj // Off Bloom - Not Sorry
Taahino // Kitty - Drink Tickets
Harmonica // Ocean Park Standoff - If You Were Mine (feat. Lil Yachty)
Altyr Muunilinst // Hayden James - Just Friends (feat. Boy Matthews)
Cor Lupus // Jay Pryor - Rich Kid$ (feat. IDA)

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
12 Fljótavík // Jean-Michel Blais and CFCF - Hypocrite
10 Dobago // TEPR - Hello E
8 Quintessa // Ólafur Arnalds - re:member

7 Unovia // Big Fish - Vain (feat. Elisa)
6 Beaverdonia Impakt Nation // Panama - Always
5 Hushkanukia // Notimes - On U
4 Espen // Chromatics - Blue Girl
3 Suedeonia // Little Comets - M62
2 Skall // Rina Sawayama - Ordinary Superstar
1 Holland-Oats // Chet Faker - Gold

11th-26th:
South Danaelanda // Sonny Fodera - Always Gonna Be (feat. Alex Mills)
Bøtanikkä // Ashton Love - Ones We Hate
Summericia // Brianna - Lost In Istanbul
FARC // KING - Mango
Cadelicia // Elodie, Michele Bravi and Guè Pequeno - Nero Bali
Lotunia // Magaly Solier - Porque Me Miras Así
Ramrynia // Hannah Jane Lewis - Frozen Frames
New Lexico // CYN - Believer
Jupiterdonia // Rainsford - Intentions (feat. Twin Shadow)
Vülkyria // Jack Wins - Freewheelin' (feat. Caitlyn Scarlett)
Ultraviolenceland // Mercedes Benson - Shopping In Lidl
Aesthetica // Tiffany Young - Over My Skin
Flynnonda // Tyde Levi - Goldchains
Bhangra // Peg Parnevik - Loafers
Taahino // Kitty - Drink Tickets
East Rukahavian // Miway - Sin Pijama

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2 DNQs

7th Kluminican Republic // Odetta Hartman - Misery
11th FSR Rontvia // Dolcenera - Un Altro Giorno Sulla Terra
16th Tinnmark // boy pablo - Losing You
17th Tartford // I'm From Barcelona - We're From Barcelona
18th Mulgracia // July Jones - I Fall Apart
20th République d'Ashton // Parallel - Eine Sprache (feat. Cassandra Steen)
21st Singerpurear // Moloko - Forever More
23rd Daehun // 4Minute - Volume Up
24th Desbuanda // Silk Cinema - Disappear
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th September 2018, 01:16 AM
Post #282
Group icon

mega catchup edition [3/5]

BJSC Reinvention II

i t w a s j u s t a l i t t l e m i s t a k e . . .

Blank Banshee brings vaporwave to the second Reinvention spinoff

The Reinvention spinoff, featuring covers, remixes and samples, was renewed for a second installment, hosted by Unovia who were the winners of the first edition with Delta Goodrem's 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love'. Persephonia used it to finally offload a song that fit that bill which we'd had as a potential for the main contest for over a year already - this was finally the time for Blank Banshee (Canadian producer Patrick Driscoll) with the song 'Teen Pregnancy', taken from his 2012 debut album 'Blank Banshee 0'. This song comes from the genre of vaporwave which is almost entirely based on sampling, and this is no exception, as it is based around instrumental samples from two songs (Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five's 'The Message' and Boards Of Canada's 'Sunshine Recorder'), as well as a vocal sample from an episode of Degrassi Junior High which made it a second straight spinoff entry from us with a tenuous link to Drake. For bonus reinvention points we sent it in the form of the video 'SUNDAY SCHOOL' by Lucien Hughes, one of the most popular videos from the bizarre short-lived meme Simpsonwave, essentially just trippy edits of episodes of The Simpsons with vaporwave musical soundtracks. The official video is below.

'Teen Pregnancy' appeared as song 5 of 33 in the running order. There were two former Persephonian artists who made re-appearances here (both getting their first appearance in a BJSC contest since our original entries by them) - in slot 3 was Aeroche's entry, the KANT remix of 'Demons II' by Notize featuring Fura, actually a straight remix of our BJSC 70 entry, Fura's 'Demons', while our BJSC 57 second-place finishing Jaymes Young popped up in BJSC Reinvention II featuring on the Marian Hill remix of PVRIS' 'Same Soul', representing Taahino in slot 22.

BJSC Reinvention II summary

'Teen Pregnancy' was another middling spinoff hit for us, ending up in 12th place out of 33 with 134 points from 16 voters. It didn't get anyone's 18 but did get medal positions from three countries - 15 from Terra Avium and 13 each from Jupiterdonia and Skall, marking the first time any of our entries, main contests or spinoffs, got any points at all from Jupiterdonia, what a way to do it *.*

Like in the first Reinvention spinoff, the winner was a piano ballad reinterpretation of a song from a different genre - this time a cover of Olive's dance classic 'You're Not Alone' done by Astræa, which won the spinoff for St. Burbia with a total of 218 points. This was St. Burbia's second spinoff win (after Death Team's 'Messed Up' in BJSC Schlagerfest) while they are yet to pick up a top 5 hit in the main contest. Astræa incidentally was also in BJSC Reinvention I, representing Ultraviolenceland with her cover of 'Mad World' under her real name Jennifer Ann. The top 3 was completed by two more reinvented dance tracks, both in an orchestral style. FSR Rontvia got their best ever spinoff result, coming 2nd on 200 points with Alex Christensen & The Berlin Orchestra's 'L'Amour Toujours' (originally by Gigi D'Agostino) while Séyetana came 3rd with 189 points with Seycara Orchestral's Ghibli Orchestra Edition of 'Shelter' by Porter Robinson and Madeon. Host nation Unovia, winners of the first Reinvention spinoff, had another strong showing in 4th place on 179 points with a' cover of 'Paper Planes', originally by M.I.A., performed by SLUMBERJACK featuring K.Flay for Triple J's 'Like A Version' series. This cover also interpolates Drake's 'Fake Love' for bonus reinvention points magic.gif The top 5 was completed by Ultraviolenceland on 176 points with another piano ballad version of a dance song, Hannah Grace's version of 'Praise You' by Fatboy Slim. Both this and Astræa's 'You're Not Alone' were also recently used in TV adverts.

Fljótavík finished 6th with Tori Amos' cover of Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', 7th place went to Cor Lupus with Sibewest's 'The Colour' (a witch house track purportedly sampling 'Take Away The Colour' by ICE MC, not that anyone would have realised that was a sample xx), Terra Avium took 8th place with Swingrowers' electro-swing version of 50s standard 'Mr Sandman', the aforementioned 'Demons II' finished in 9th place for Aeroche (sufficiently avenging the bottom 3 finish we had with the original version of the song) and Skall came in 10th with the m-flo remix of 'DISTANCE' by Utada Hikaru. The other Persephonian alumnus almost made the top 10 as well - Taahino settled for 11th just ahead of our own entry (with our entry and the two recycling our former artists all finishing within 6 points of each other, consistency ~).

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC Reinvention II

Points awarded:
18 Jadakissnia // Tigerstyle - Nachna Onda Nei (feat. Kaka Bhaniawala)
15 Aelandor // Bear McCreary - All Along The Watchtower (feat. Bt4)
13 Cor Lupus // Sibewest - The Colour

12 Aeroche // Notize - Demons II (KANT Remix) (feat. Fura)
11 Skall // Utada Hikaru - DISTANCE (m-flo Remix)
10 St. Burbia // Astræa - You're Not Alone
9 Séyetana // Seycara Orchestral - Shelter (Ghibli Orchestra Edition)
8 Land of DW // Groove Coverage - Moonlight Shadow
7 Tartford // Emmanuelle Seigner - You Think You're A Man (Yuksek Remix)
6 Unovia // SLUMBERJACK - Paper Planes (feat. K.Flay)

5 Quintessa // Lane 8 - Every Night
4 Taahino // PVRIS - Same Soul (Marian Hill Remix) (feat. Jaymes Young)
3 Terra Avium // Swingrowers - Mr Sandman
2 PRoJ // The Beta Band - Squares
1 Bøtanikkä // TEEMID - If You Had My Love (feat. Alva Heldt)

16th-32nd:
Fljótavík // Tori Amos - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Cadelicia // CUT_ - Papaoutai
Cowtermont // Abacus - Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime (I Need Your Loving) (feat. Cimone)
Jupiterdonia // Disclosure vs. MNEK - White Noise (Full Crate & FS Green Remix)
Harmonica // Campsite Dream - Dreams
Lotunia // BTS - FAKE LOVE (Rocking Vibe Mix)
Aesthetica // I.O.I - Whatta Man (Good Man)
FSR Rontvia // Alex Christensen & The Berlin Orchestra - L'Amour Toujours
Hushkanukia // Unicq - Mercy (Shy Guy)
Ultraviolenceland // Hannah Grace - Praise You
Rolloland // Peter Gabriel - Heroes
Holland-Oats // Weezer and Hayley Williams - Rainbow Connection
Alteria // Me First And The Gimme Gimmes - Believe
République d'Áskorza // Starley - Touch Me
Ojnoj // Tinchy Stryder - Let It Rain (7th Heaven Club Mix) (feat. Melanie Fiona)
South Danaelanda // Patrick Topping - Be Sharp Say Nowt
Flynnonda // The AAA Girls - Heather? (feat. Stacy Layne Matthews)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th September 2018, 01:17 AM
Post #283
Group icon

mega catchup edition [4/5]

BJSC 107

QUOTE(Bré @ Apr 10 2018, 09:54 PM) *

#garagebandcreation #toasterinthebath #instrumentalbloc

Persephonia brings µ-Ziq to y'all's ears for BJSC 107

In BJSC 107, hosted by Fljótavík, Persephonia decided to finally cross something off the bucket list that we had surprisingly never done before for our 86th main contest entry, sending a song to the main contest that predates the 21st century (editor's note: but still just within my lifetime, we must yet dig deeper xx). The song, 'Hasty Boom Alert' by English producer Mike Paradinas under the alias µ-Ziq from his critically acclaimed 1997 fourth studio album 'Lunatic Harness', was already selected by us as our would-have-been entry for the 90s vs. 00s spinoff had the coin flipped the other way for us in which decade we were representing but it was just too good a song to leave as a spinoff reject. µ-Ziq was our first main contest entrant from the UK since Saor 10 contests earlier and the first from England since Eagles For Hands way back in BJSC 68, as we continue to largely neglect our home country (though it remains by far the second most represented nationality in our main contest back-catalogue, this being our 24th British entry compared to 27 by American acts).

'Hasty Boom Alert' marked another return to the #instrumentalbloc for us, our 14th instrumental entry to the main contest (our third this year alone) and our 20th instrumental in total including spinoffs. The novel new genre of choice this time was 'drill n bass', a subgenre of intelligent dance music taking heavy influence from breakbeat and drum n bass and utilising irregular tempos designed to make it impossible to actually dance to. It's kind of all over the place but in the most glorious way xx clearly not for everyone but we did hope it would please fellow fans of weird experimental electronic music (the kind played late at night on Radio 1), especially after goreshit's 'the nature of dying' was a top 10 hit earlier this year in a similar frantic breakbeat-heavy style. And it does actually have a pretty nice melody if you look past the patternless drum sounds. That melody, incidentally, originates from a song Paradinas wrote and recorded back in 1982 when he was only ten years old, about his alarm clock waking him up for school (which is also the origin of the rather cryptic title) - here's the original version if you want something really hard to listen to, while the slightly more palatable 1997 version is linked below. x

'Hasty Boom Alert' appeared as song 10 of 31 in semi-final 1. Again though, surely it didn't matter what semi we were in, we couldn't have got away with yet another absurdly risky entry right? x

µ-Ziq hastily progresses to the final

...well we managed to qualify again!!1 Of course being left as one of the last qualifiers announced from our semi. That took our qualification streak to 5 in a row, our 65th finalist to date 6th of a possible 7 in 2018. Status quo remained again at the top of the longest qualification streaks list, Aeroche and Cor Lupus leading as they both made it to their 21st straight finals with South Danaelanda remaining their closest competition with a streak of 9. 'Hasty Boom Alert' was drawn in slot 3 of 42 in the grand final.

This time 'only' three of our votes from the semi-final failed to qualify with us - we sadly lost our 6 pointer (Cumulonimbia's LPLX with 'DAMSON') as well as our 2 and 1 pointers (Buzzjack Mountain with Mellina's 'Pacatuiesc Cu Tine' and Desbuanda with Tash Sultana's 'Mystik'). From semi-final 2, the only one of our top 10 to not qualify was Skall, who we ranked 8th with Oliver N'Goma's 'Adia' but they sadly (if not unexpectedly) crashed out in last place in the semi-final with only 9 points, for shame.

BJSC 107 summary

- 'Hasty Boom Alert' put in a solid performance, coming 19th out of 42 with 178 points from 17 voters, giving us our fourth top 20 hit of the year (we've made it in every odd numbered contest this year and missed out in every even numbered one). That's incidentally the same position as we achieved in the 90s vs. 00s spinoff in which it would have been our entry if the coin had flipped the other way. Consistency! In contrast to our previous entry which got a lot of trickle points and only one medal position, this one got the vast majority of its points from countries giving us double figure points, with 6 countries ranking us in their top 3 (our joint most medal positions this year so far): we got a full 18 for the first time ever from Dobago and also for the first time in nearly two years from our faves Jadakissnia (returning the favour for our 18 to goreshit), plus 15 points each from Cumulonimbia, Deandria and Séyetana and 13 points from Aelandor. All babes. It was also revealed to have come 10th out of 31 in the semi-final with 77 points, our third semi-final top 10 finish of the year, putting it on course for a projected 16th.

- BJSC 107 saw another country getting their first ever win (making it five out of seven contests in the year to date) - one month after their return to the contest with their first top 5 hit (4th place with Brianna's 'Lost In Istanbul'), Summericia got a second in a row and went all the way to the win this time with Cathedrals' 'Try To Fight', their fourth top 10 hit to date in all. Cathedrals eked out the win in an exceptionally close contest that didn't have anything close to a runaway contender. Its final total of 259 points was the lowest for a winner since the 18 point voting system was re-adopted in BJSC 74, and it was just 24.81% of the highest possible score in the contest making it proportionally the 2nd lowest scoring winner ever (only the second to win with less than a quarter of the highest possible score, only beating the 24.37% achieved by N DNTN's BJSC 65 winner 'Tear The House Up' by Hervé and Zebra Katz). At the end of the day though, a win is a win and Summericia still did better than anyone else in the month, rightfully earning the rights to host BJSC 108. On a more positive note, the song matched the record for the biggest improvement from semi-final to final for a winner, as it had been projected to come only 22nd following a 9th place finish in its semi-final; that record was also set by 'Tear The House Up' which remains the only winner that finished outside the top 10 in its semi-final (coming 12th).

- The rest of the top 5 were all within 11 points of the winner (and 6th place was just one more point away) so could have snatched the win with just one more favourable voter. The runner up was FARC with Alex Mills' 'Stayed Too Long', which got 258 points - only one less than the winner - giving FARC their 10th top 5 and 16th top 10 hit to date. It was the fourth time they came 2nd in the contest, with all the previous near-misses also being by potentially one vote margins, as they were 18 points away from the win in BJSC 64, 3 points off in BJSC 73 and 8 points off in BJSC 95. They have been on the other side of that coin as well though, as they won BJSC 62 by a 2 point margin with SOHN's 'Artifice', while their other winner (Salt Ashes' 'Save It' in BJSC 84) was... not quite so close, with its 133 point lead over 2nd place remaining a record gap. Completing the BJSC 107 top 3 was Unovia, getting their second consecutive bronze medal and third straight top 10, and increasing their all-time counts to 10 top 5s and 19 top 10s. Their entry, 'Ghost' by Badflower, was a very rare Unovia entry with male vocals and one of the heavier rock entries to ever see such great success in BJSC. It was 6 points behind the leader, thus very narrowly missing out on being the second BJSC winning entry titled 'Ghost' after the Delta Heavy song of the same name which won BJSC 80 for #00274E. 'Ghost' is a notoriously common title for BJSC entries, with the Badflower song being the 11th such entry in addition to 5 called 'Ghosts'.

- In 4th place with 251 points was Espen with the Vanzetti & Sacco remix of Nouvelle Phénomène's 'Cruel Game', their 7th top 5 and 21st top 10 hit. 'Cruel Game' was the winner of semi-final 2 and projected winner of the contest, Espen's 4th semi-final win to date following Frida Gold's 'Wovon Sollen Wir Träumen' in BJSC 36, DVBBS and Borgeous' 'Tsunami' in BJSC 59 and Offer Nissim's 'Miracle Part A' (feat. Maya Simantov) in BJSC 93. Espen are one of the most successful countries to have never won a final, their best being 2nd place which they have achieved three times (with the aforementioned Frida Gold and Offer Nissim plus BJSC 75 entry 'You' by Etienne De Crécy and Madeline Follin). The winner of semi-final 1 was Ojnoj's entry 'Fired Up' by YONAKA, their second semi-final win of 2018 and fourth in total (following Life Of Dillon's 'Overload' in BJSC 74, Leon Else's 'What I Won't Do' in BJSC 96 and Kim Petras' 'Heart To Break' in BJSC 102). However, while their last semi-final winner also won the final, 'Fired Up' followed in the footsteps of their first semi-final winner in missing the top 10 entirely, coming 11th in the final. The only other country to have two entries which won their semi-final and missed the top 10 in the final is Järkangel (FKA JRK-off then St. Joliver) who went from 1st to 11th in BJSC 11 with Paris Hilton's 'Nothing In This World' and from 1st to 12th in BJSC 37 with Alpines' 'Cocoon'. Back to BJSC 107, New Lexico claimed 5th place on 248 points with Alice Merton's 'Lash Out' to give them a 9th top 5 and 14th top 10 hit. That was also a slight (and deserved x) improvement on Alice Merton's previous BJSC appearance, St. Burbia's BJSC 91 entry 'No Roots' which finished 6th ahead of becoming a minor worldwide hit single, though it remains to be seen if 'Lash Out' will do nearly as well in the end of year The Best of BJSC contest as that did.

- After skipping BJSC 106, Utopia made another comeback for BJSC 107 and it proved even more fruitful for them as they came 6th with Riton and Kah-Lo's 'Ginger', their 8th top 10 hit to date and first since they came 10th in BJSC 73 with Mr FijiWiji's 'Yours Truly' (feat. Danyka Nadeau). Their last better finish was even more years ago than that, when they came 4th in BJSC 44 with 'Bassline' by Reverend & The Makers. Altyr Muunilinst had been consistently one of the most successful countries in BJSC for years on end but 2018 has proven difficult for them - BJSC 107 finally gave them their first top 10 of the year (25th to date) as they came 7th with CXLOE's 'Show You'. Like Utopia, Deandria were back again after missing the previous contest and also saw another successful comeback as they came 8th with 'cyberbird' by Gabriela Robin (a pseudonym of Yoko Kanno). This was their 4th top 10 hit and came just 4 contests after their 3rd, in contrast to the massive waits they previously had between top 10 hits (as they previously finished in the top tier in BJSCs 11, 81 and 103). Completing the top 10 were Aeroche in 9th with Set Mo's 'White Dress' (feat. Deutsch Duke), their 36th top 10 hit to date which also saw them move up to 1st place in the YTD rankings, and hosts Fljótavík whose auto-qualifier '11h30' by Danger gave them a second top 10 hit in a row and 24th in total.

- It was another month with no new countries debuting, and Summericia were the only country hitting a new peak, so nothing to write about here.

- There was however a wide array of returning nations, with ten more on top of the already mentioned Utopia and Deandria. With only three countries from BJSC 106 not entering this one (the banned Kluminican Republic plus Enty and Oslol), BJSC 107 had a total of 64 entries, easily the highest of the year and actually more than a few of the contests in 2017. Of those 10, 5 made the final. Thelonia were back after missing BJSC 106 despite having their most successful entry ever the month before that; this contest was another big one for them as they came 16th with Fourward's 'Hope', their third highest finish to date and the first time they'd ever made the final with two consecutive entries (this streak would continue for them until at least the end of 2018 #latereporting). Azure made a return after skipping the previous 3 contests and came 17th with 'Crush' by Tessa Violet. #00274E's return after a one-month ban saw them come 24th with Rival Consoles' 'Hidden', normally not a result to write home about but in a contest with no clear favourites 'Hidden' was one of 7 songs to share the honours for most 18s in this contest with 3 of them, matching that of Alex Mills, Badflower, Nouvelle Phénomène, Alice Merton, CXLOE and République d'Ashton's 20th place finisher 'Turn Up The Fire' by Nova Miller. The actual winner from Summericia only got one 18. Florina made a long-awaited comeback after missing the previous 15 contests, and came 25th with MAY's 'FALLING'. Finally, Pupok were back after a one-month break and came 34th with another bizarre novelty track from Bip Ling, 'Ocean Queen' (avenging the DNQ of her previous entry 'Curry'). That was a thing. Buzzjack Mountain returned from their one-month ban only to once again come near the bottom of their semi-final, while Cumulonimbia were back from a one-month break but sadly also fell short. Three countries making their first appearance in the contest in 2018 also didn't make the cut: The Actual Republic of Bellamia (last seen in BJSC 100) predictably flopped with a very Bellamia entry, the country formerly known as F.D. Anēné and before that Terra di Campioni made a comeback after 20 missed contests with another rebrand to the more spellable POPHub but came dead last in their semi-final, and finally Patvia (the most long-awaited comeback of the month, having missed the last 28 contests) came a little closer but still not quite close enough.

- BJSC 107's wooden spoon went to Rolloland who came 42nd out of 42 with The Delgados' 'No Danger', which picked up 82 points. Three other songs fell short of the 100 point mark, with Daehun in 41th with 83 points for BoA's 'ONE SHOT, TWO SHOT' and Séyetana coming 40th on 92 points with Gwenno's 'Eus Keus?' while Yehesi ended up on 99 points to come 39th with Cedric Gervais' 'Somebody New' (feat. Liza Owen) due to a 33% deduction for not voting. Patvia and POPHub were also non-voters so their comebacks were cut short as they joined Yehesi among the list of bans for BJSC 108, as did fellow non-voters Frandoot and Vülkyria. Yehesi's wasn't the only deduction of the contest, as Bøtanikkä's votes were late so they suffered a 15% deduction ending up in 29th place with Kutiman's 'Mix Tel Aviv', while Taahino were denied a place in the final at all due to a 33% deduction for not voting in the semi-final. That place in the final went instead to Bip Ling, so swings and roundabouts. x

- One other noteworthy result: the other auto-qualifier, Cowtermont's entry 'M U L T I V E R S E' by 1788-L and 4AM, finished in 28th place.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 107

Final

Points awarded:
18 Fljótavík // Danger - 11h30
15 #00274E // Rival Consoles - Hidden
13 Unovia // Badflower - Ghost

12 Trifoski // Iglooghost - Clear Tamei
11 Deandria // Gabriela Robin - cyberbird
10 Espen // Nouvelle Phénomène - Cruel Game (Vanzetti & Sacco Remix)
9 St. Burbia // Akasa - Thug Ranjha
8 Land of DW // Purebeat - Ederlezi (feat. Dikanda)
7 Cowtermont // 1788-L and 4AM - M U L T I V E R S E
6 Bøtanikkä // Kutiman - Mix Tel Aviv

5 South Danaelanda // Fatum - Mowgli
4 Jadakissnia // Vendredi Sur Mer - Larme À Gauche
3 Harmonica // The Aces - Put It On The Line
2 Terra Avium // Korw - Luna's Moon Dance
1 Cor Lupus // Savoy - Let You Go

16th-41st:
Séyetana // Gwenno - Eus Keus?
Altyr Muunilinst // CXLOE - Show You
Thelonia // Fourward - Hope
Ojnoj // YONAKA - Fired Up
Holland-Oats // The Aston Shuffle - Tear It Down
Utopia // Riton and Kah-Lo - Ginger
FARC // Alex Mills - Stayed Too Long
New Lexico // Alice Merton - Lash Out
FSR Rontvia // GoodLuck and Boris Smith - Be Yourself
Aelandor // Mat Zo - The Enemy (feat. Sinéad Egan)
Daehun // BoA - ONE SHOT, TWO SHOT
Beaverdonia // Lola Indigo - Ya No Quiero Ná
Aeroche // Set Mo - White Dress (feat. Deutsch Duke)
Rolloland // The Delgados - No Danger
Summericia // Cathedrals - Try To Fight
Azure // Tessa Violet - Crush
Pupok // Bip Ling - Ocean Queen
Florina // MAY - FALLING
Cadelicia // Black Saint - Don't Wreck My Holiday (feat. Kelli-Leigh)
Tartford // Florrie - Hungry Like A Wolf
Suedeonia // FUR - If You Know That I'm Lonely
Jupiterdonia // Paces - Technique (feat. Emmalyn and Jeida Woods)
Bhangra // Darling - Jimmy
Yehesi // Cedric Gervais - Somebody New (feat. Liza Owen)
Ultraviolenceland // Catherine McGrath - Good Goodbyes
République d'Ashton // Nova Miller - Turn Up The Fire

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
12 #00274E // Rival Consoles - Hidden
10 Land of DW // Purebeat - Ederlezi (feat. Dikanda)
8 Deandria // Gabriela Robin - cyberbird

7 Terra Avium // Korw - Luna's Moon Dance
6 Cumulonimbia // LPLX - DAMSON
5 South Danaelanda // Fatum - Mowgli
4 Cor Lupus // Savoy - Let You Go
3 Ojnoj // YONAKA - Fired Up
2 Buzzjack Mountain // Mellina - Pacatuiesc Cu Tine
1 Desbuanda // Tash Sultana - Mystik

11th-30th:
Utopia // Riton and Kah-Lo - Ginger
Daehun // BoA - ONE SHOT, TWO SHOT
Mulgracia // Holland - I'm Not Afraid
East Rukahavian // Amigos Raros - A Punto (feat. Delfina Campos)
FSR Rontvia // GoodLuck and Boris Smith - Be Yourself
Cadelicia // Black Saint - Don't Wreck My Holiday (feat. Kelli-Leigh)
Bhangra // Darling - Jimmy
Altyr Muunilinst // CXLOE - Show You
Dobago // Sabyan Gambus - Ya Jamalu
Suedeonia // FUR - If You Know That I'm Lonely
Patvia // Vishal & Shekhar, Benny Dayal and Neeti Mohan - Bang Bang
Florina // MAY - FALLING
Lotunia // Dan Balan - Allegro Ventigo (feat. Matteo)
Tartford // Florrie - Hungry Like A Wolf
Azure // Tessa Violet - Crush
Quintessa // Mimoza - Big Girls Cry
Yehesi // Cedric Gervais - Somebody New (feat. Liza Owen)
Hushkanukia // Stanaj - The Way I Love Her
POPHub // TEN - New Heroes

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2 DNQs

8th Skall // Oliver N'Goma - Adia
15th Tinnmark // SOMA - Burde Gå
16th Singerpurear // Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning
19th Taahino // June Divided - Time Will Stop
20th Ramrynia // Fia Moon - Settle Down
22nd Aesthetica // LOOΠΔ - favOriTe
23rd Niceland // Suzi Island - Show Me The Way
24th The Actual Republic of Bellamia // froy - sideswipe
26th Frandoot // Jordie Ireland - Take Cover
30th Vülkyria // Badpojken - Young Caesar
31st Flynnonda // Andreas Wijk - FLAWS

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th September 2018, 01:17 AM
Post #284
Group icon

mega catchup edition [5/5]

-deep breaths- we're back up to speed, almost xx will fill in the missing summaries in the previous four posts in the near future but we've reported all the important stuff (i.e. the stuff about our own entries and results and our full rankings)
EDIT: all previous posts now filled in, woo

BJSC 108

#garagebandcreationpart2 #videogameselectscreen #instrumentalbloc

Skee Mask aims to steal your points in BJSC 108

BJSC 108 is currently ongoing with Summericia taking on hosting duties for the first time following their win in the previous contest. Persephonia's entry, our 87th in the main contest, comes courtesy of German producer Bryan Müller aka Skee Mask (who has also released music under the alias SCNTST), not to be confused with rapper Ski Mask The Slump God who was coincidentally mentioned a couple of posts back magic.gif We recently discovered Skee Mask's album 'Compro', his second studio album under that name which was released in May of this year, and it was a tough choice to decide which cut from the album we most wanted to send to the contest but we ultimately decided on 'Via Sub Mids', the longest song on the album at a length of 6:32 (which makes it our third longest main contest entry to date). Skee Mask is the third primarily German act we've sent to the main contest, this is becoming a bit of an annual tradition following Digitalism in BJSC 82 and Achillea in BJSC 93.

'Via Sub Mids' is yet another instrumental entry from us, our fourth of the year and 15th in total (sixth of the year and 21st in total including spinoffs). Skee Mask's album covers a pretty diverse range of styles but broadly falls under the genre of ambient techno, which we'd certainly say describes this song pretty well - it's composed from delicately layered ambient synths with some deliciously hypnotic drum sounds throughout (that moment when the drums kick in at 2:10 gets us every time *.*). Check out the Pitchfork review of the album for a more in depth and pretentious description. We just think this, along with the rest of the album, is perfect to vibe out to, a little bit in the vein of Aphex Twin's 'Selected Ambient Works '85-'92' album. Check it out below.

Skee Mask's label Ilian Tape have uploaded a 'megamix' of the album on SoundCloud, we strongly recommend anyone who's into this to check that out and see if anything else from there takes your fancy, it's all really good. Our other personal highlights are '50 Euro To Break Boost', 'Dial 274' and 'Kozmic Flush'.

'Via Sub Mids' has been drawn as track 7 of 29 in semi-final 1 and, being real, it's another very risky entry that we're not expecting to get through. But we've made it with niche songs quite a few times this year so feel free to help us do it again. xx

Oh and there's also another spinoff going on now - BJSC Masquerade II in South Danaelanda - but we can't really say much about that yet as our entry is a secret until the results ;o

+Quote this post
Brer
post 19th September 2018, 03:29 PM
Post #285
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 19/09/2018

Skee Mask continues our increasingly unlikely Q streak

It was announced on Monday evening that we did in fact manage to continue our streak once again, as Skee Mask's 'Via Sub Mids' is through to the grand final of BJSC 108 in Summericia! We're not sure how we keep managing to make it in with such niche entries in the last few contests but we're certainly not complaining x this brings our current streak up to 6 finals in a row, and it's our 66th finalist to date in total (illuminati confirmed) and our 7th of a possible 8 in 2018, putting us in a good position to hopefully match the 9 qualifiers out of 10 we managed in 2017. Aeroche and Cor Lupus were safe qualifiers this month once again to remain the joint longest qualification streaks, both in their 22nd consecutive finals, with South Danaelanda making it to their 10th in a row to stay their closest rivals. 'Via Sub Mids' has been drawn in slot 24 of 38 in the final, we have low expectations for the final again so any points thrown our way will be greatly appreciated x

As well as making it ourselves, all 10 of the songs we gave points to in semi-final 1 made it through with us, the second time this has happened this year (after BJSC 104) after not happening for years if ever before that. Unfortunately though, the song we ranked 1st in semi-final 2 (and which would have got our 18 in the final) failed to make it in, a sad exit for Taahino's entry 'Julia (Or, 'Holy To The LORD' On The Bells Of Horses)' by mewithoutYou :'( we also lost two more of our top 10 of semi-final 2: Ambienta's comeback entry 'X22RME' by Actress, which we ranked 5th, and poor poor Flynnonda experiencing racism as ever with half•alive's 'still feel.' which was 9th for us.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 13th December 2018, 11:41 PM
Post #286
Group icon

^ all the gaps in those previous posts are now filled in and here's a bunch more of them to catch up again, phew. I'm sure no one will read all of this (it'd take forever xx) but I just wanted to have a complete archive and I still have fun writing these things so xx Will hopefully be able to keep up better in the new year magic.gif

~

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 13/12/2018
end of year catchup edition [1/5]

BJSC Masquerade II summary: Persephonia does FARC except not really sounding anything like FARC

September's spinoff was another sequel to one first run in 2017, this time Masquerade (an anonymous spinoff in which all participating countries were given another country from the list and had to send a song by an artist who had previously represented that country). Like with Reinvention II it was hosted by the winner of the previous edition, this time South Danaelanda who were victorious the first time around, posing as Jadakissnia, with FM-84's 'Running In The Night' (feat. Ollie Wride). Last time Persephonia got to masquerade as Terra Avium which was easy for us as they're one of our most voted for countries. This time we were given FARC, a much more pop-oriented nation who we barely ever vote for, so it was a little more challenging...

As in the first Masquerade we self-enforced sending an artist that only had one BJSC entry to their name to minimise the recycling, which didn't leave us many good options, but we found one very good one and that was all we needed ~ so we were proud to welcome back to BJSC the anonymous and enigmatic Swedish electronic act Stockholm Noir (after there had been several previous attempts at recycling them in the main contest that were vetoed but shhh, we'd have picked a more inspired artist if there were any with a song this good x) who came 2nd for FARC back in BJSC 95 with 'Hopeless Dreams'. We did like that song, giving it 4 points in its contest, as well as a few of their other more mainstream pop sounding singles, but we were intrigued to discover while scouring their discography that they'd also dropped a couple of much less commercially friendly techno songs. It's one of those, their July 2017 offering 'Parvaz Kon', that we sent to the contest. The song, whose title translates to 'Fly', is a mesmerising 7 minutes of thumping beats, mysterious mood vocals and whispered phrases (it's largely instrumental but the few words are in Persian, making it our second entry in that language after BJSC 73 entry 'The Lom' by Sogand). In other words, not really very FARC-like. If we were to try and send something that sounds more like an authentic FARC entry, we'd have gone with the next best song we found (Hannah Georgas' 'Evelyn') but there was no rule that we needed to do that in fairness magic.gif

'Parvaz Kon' was drawn in slot 9 out of 39 in the contest. Among the rest of the spinoff there were 2 (kinda) Persephonian alumni competing - in slot 15, Deandria were masquerading as Dobago and chose Albin Myers and Carli's 'Conflict' - Carli is of course better known for representing other nations but we count him as one of our own anyway because he was a member of Savage Skulls who we sent back in BJSC 33 with 'Bad Gal' (with Douster featuring Robyn). More importantly, song number 23 in the list was the country masquerading as us, and they chose DANCE WITH THE DEAD's 'Dressed To Kill', another track from the American synthwave duo's 2014 'Near Dark' album from which we took 'Waves', which came 3rd for us in BJSC 79 to be one of our biggest BJSC hits. It's also one of our personal favourites so we were very happy with this artist pick and the song did not disappoint, ultimately getting our full 18 points. The country behind the mask turned out to be Quintessa. Nice job! This also marked the second time DANCE WITH THE DEAD were recycled from us for spinoffs following Cor Lupus sending their track 'Poison' to the Instrumentals spinoff (which we didn't vote for, oops x)

The night of the results proved to be a very good one for us, as both fake Persephonia and real Persephonia ended up in the top 10! We were bested by our impostor this time as Quintessa's DANCE WITH THE DEAD entry did nearly as well as ours, finishing in 4th place with 170 points. We still did very well for ourselves though to come 9th with Stockholm Noir, receiving a total of 146 points from 14 voters and thus grabbing our second spinoff top 10 hit of 2018 and our 9th in all (10th including BJFestivalen). Four countries ranked 'Parvaz Kon' in their medal positions, with it receiving a full 18 from PRoJ and Terra Avium, plus 15 points from Cowtermont and 13 from Aeroche. That made it our first spinoff entry since Mudlam's 'Muck' in BJSC Worldvision II (a whole 13 spinoffs back!) to get top marks from more than one country, it's been a while. Thanks all <3 x

Séyetana were the hosts of the first Masquerade, and it was the country masquerading as Séyetana who won this time around - it was a big result for Flynnonda, who had never previously come higher than 15th in the main contest and had only one previous top 10 hit in a spinoff (8th place with Shakedown's 'At Night' in BJSC Dance Anthems 00s) after years of participation, but ended up winning by a comfortable margin here with BABYMETAL's 'Gimme Chocolate!!' on 218 points. That was also an impressive improvement for BABYMETAL whose original Séyetan entry, 'Megitsune', fell well short of even qualifying for the final back in BJSC 63. I wonder if Flynnonda would go on to get another good result for themselves without the cloak of anonymity thinking.gif In 2nd place, 38 points behind with a total of 180, Lotunia also got their best ever result in a BJSC contest (a previous peak of 6th in main contests and 9th in spinoffs), masquerading as the hosts South Danaelanda and picking 'Dharma' by Headhunterz and KSHMR, the latter being the recycled artist. This maintained KSHMR's 100% record of top 10 finishes in BJSC contests as a solo artist, with a win and two 10th places out of his three appearances in the main contest. Trifoski finished 3rd on 175 points with Lauren Aquilina's 'Psycho', their take on Ultraviolenceland, and the top 5 was completed by Cowtermont's inspired pick for a Fljótavík masquerade, Rainmode's 'The Taunting' on 163 points.

Also on 163 points and therefore losing a tiebreak for 5th with their own impostor, Fljótavík came in 6th with The Knife's 'Marble House' masquerading as Niceland (one of several artist choices that were originally sent to spinoffs rather than main contests). Hosts South Danaelanda came in 7th with their FSR Rontvia choice, the Jorn Van Deynhoven remix of RAM's 'RAMsterdam'. 8th place went to Cadelicia posing as République d'Ashton with 'Trouble' by Luciana and Nytrix, and in 10th place behind us was Ojnoj's surprisingly great choice to masquerade as Cor Lupus, CONTACT's 'Sunset'. Thus there were 2 other countries (South Danaelanda and Fljótavík) who joined us in having both their own entry and their impostor's entry in the top 10. The other sorta-kinda Persephonian alumnus didn't fare quite as well as DANCE WITH THE DEAD, as Deandria came in 31st.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC Masquerade II
(note: the countries in curly brackets are the ones who actually sent the entries, those in quotation marks are the countries they were masquerading as)

Points awarded:
18 "Persephonia" {Quintessa} // DANCE WITH THE DEAD - Dressed To Kill
15 "Cor Lupus" {Ojnoj} // CONTACT - Sunset
13 "Aelandor" {Jadakissnia} // C2C - Delta

12 "Fljótavík" {Cowtermont} // Rainmode - The Taunting
11 "Florina" {Harmonica} // Seven Lions and Echos - Cold Skin
10 "Land of DW" {Aeroche} // Eivør - Trøllabundin
9 "Terra Avium" {Cor Lupus} // Varien and SWARM - Never Ending
8 "Séyetana" {Flynnonda} // BABYMETAL - Gimme Chocolate!!
7 "FSR Rontvia" {South Danaelanda} // RAM - RAMsterdam (Jorn Van Deynhoven Remix)
6 "Trifoski" {Terra Avium} // Anna Meredith and Antonio Vivaldi - Spring (feat. Scottish Ensemble)

5 "PRoJ" {Hushkanukia} // Lianne La Havas - Unstoppable
4 "Holland-Oats" {Niceland} // Art Vs Science - Create / Destroy
3 "Taahino" {Unovia} // Set It Off - Killer In The Mirror
2 "Niceland" {Fljótavík} // The Knife - Marble House
1 "Jadakissnia" {Beaverdonia} // Sonia & Selena - Deja Que Mueva, Mueva, Mueva

16th-38th:
"St. Burbia" {Séyetana} // Basenji - Don't Let Go (feat. Mereki)
"Rolloland" {Holland-Oats} // Guillemots - Annie, Let's Not Wait
"Dobago" {Deandria} // Albin Myers and Carli - Conflict
"Cowtermont" {FARC} // MNDR - Feed Me Diamonds (RAC Mix)
"République d'Ashton" {Cadelicia} // Luciana and Nytrix - Trouble
"Hushkanukia" {Aelandor} // Anavae - All Or Nothing
"Flynnonda" {Rolloland} // Lucy Mason - Out Of The Blue
"Ultraviolenceland" {Trifoski} // Lauren Aquilina - Psycho
"Quintessa" {Pupok} // Lali - Caliente (feat. Pabllo Vittar)
"Deandria" {Land of DW} // Holy Two - Festin
"Jupiterdonia" {Florina} // Smallpools and The Aces - Stumblin' Home
"Pupok" {Bøtanikkä} // No Frills Twins - God Bless The Internet
"Ojnoj" {Aesthetica} // Kim Petras - I Don't Want It At All
"Bøtanikkä" {Dobago} // Red 5 - Lift Me Up
"Aeroche" {Ultraviolenceland} // ROZES - Under The Grave
"Beaverdonia" {PRoJ} // The Eden Project - Crazy In Love (feat. Leah Kelly)
"Unovia" {Taahino} // Lola Blanc - Don't Say You Do
"Kluminican Republic" {Jupiterdonia} // Giorgio Moroder - Déjà Vu (feat. Sia)
"Lotunia" {Kluminican Republic} // Lizzo - Water Me
"Harmonica" {FSR Rontvia} // Lauren Alaina - Three
"Aesthetica" {République d'Ashton} // Ängie - Spun
"Cadelicia" {St. Burbia} // Julie Bergan - Guilt Trip
"South Danaelanda" {Lotunia} // Headhunterz and KSHMR - Dharma

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #287
Group icon

end of year catchup edition [2/5]

BJSC 108 summary

- The Persephonian BJSC Committee were happy enough to just reach the final of BJSC 108 in Summericia against our expectations regardless of the final result, so it was no surprise to see our entry, 'Via Sub Mids' by Skee Mask, performing similarly to a lead balloon. We narrowly avoided adding a third wooden spoon in BJSC finals to our collection (after previously coming last in the final with Young Money's 'Steady Mobbin'' (feat. Gucci Mane) as a novelty entry in BJSC 28 and our BJSC 68 auto-qualifier 'Glass Heart' by Eagles For Hands featuring Holly Partridge), finishing 37th out of 38 with 94 points from 12 voters. Those points and votes totals were a new low for us under the current contest format adopted in BJSC 74, with our last sub-100 point finalist being San Holo's 'Hiding' (feat. The Nicholas) with 63 points in BJSC 71 and our last vote count that low being Deaf Club's 'Moving Still' also getting 12 votes in the final of BJSC 49. Technically David Starfire's 'Big Chillum' finished 1 position lower in BJSC 95 but that was in a larger final; our last bottom 2 finish was with 'Glass Heart'. The most disappointing result for us was failing to finish in any country's top 2 (our first entry to do this since Fura's 'Demons' in BJSC 70, after a couple of other recent entries narrowly avoided doing the same) but we did get a couple of medal positions, picking up 13 points each from Aeroche and Espen, as well as double figure points from next biggest supporters Fljótavík (12), Cowtermont and Suedeonia (both 10). Thanks to those for humouring us, and at least it wasn't a DNQ eh! Despite that final bombing, it turned out to have qualified in a not too shabby 12th out of 29 in semi-final 1 with 65 points, giving it a clearly unrealistic projected final position of 23rd.

- On the other end of the scoreboard, Cor Lupus ended up as the victorious nation with 'Cruel Summer' by Daniella Mason, earning their second win after previously topping the table in BJSC 87 with The Naked And Famous' 'Higher'. That entry was a bounce back from a DNQ in BJSC 86, and would impressively prove to be the start of a qualification streak that remained unbroken up to this second win 21 contests later (and to the current day #latereporting). While 'Higher' was a landslide winner with 432 points, the joint fourth highest score in BJSC history, 'Cruel Summer' was a second unusually low scoring winner in a row, 'only' earning 270 points. That's slightly better than Cathedrals in BJSC 107 but still the second lowest since the return of the 18 point voting system in BJSC 74, and while Cathedrals stayed as the 2nd lowest scoring winner by percentage of available points, Daniella Mason didn't fare that much better, landing in as the 6th lowest on that list ('Higher' is the 22nd highest). It did mark a big improvement for Daniella Mason who was entered twice before, coming 12th in BJSC 75 with 'Shade Of You' for Hushkanukia and more recently falling a fair bit short of qualifying for the final of BJSC 100 for Harmonica with 'Cover The Earth'. It provided Cor Lupus' 5th top 5 hit and 11th top 10 to date, and of course secured them the hosting rights for BJSC 109.

- Although the winning score was similarly low to the previous contest, this time there was only one other song that was potentially within one vote of winning. The runner up with 264 points was Somnium's 'Sinking', providing Jadakissnia with their second silver medal (after they previously missed out by a similarly small margin with HÆLOS' 'Earth Not Above' which was 8 points off the win in BJSC 90). Since the two nations both debuted in BJSC 74 they've had a bit of a rivalry going on, and while Cor Lupus picked up their second win here as Jadakissnia still await their first, they did end this contest with the same number of top 5 hits while Jadakissnia actually have more top 10s ('Sinking' was their 5th and 13th respectively). A shame that Jadakissnia missed out as that would have been twice in the space of 3 contests that our 18 won after not being widely tipped to do so but ah well, that first win still must be coming soon ~~ 'Sinking' did win semi-final 2 and was the projected winner of the final, giving Jadakissnia a third semi-final victory following MssingNo's 'Scope' in BJSC 88 and Claptone's 'Birdsong' (feat. Zola Blood) only two contests before this one.

- Below the top 2 however, the final tallies were extremely close for the next highest spots, with just 22 points separating 3rd from 15th. The winner of the scrap for the bronze medal was Quintessa with the epic 2008 Spanish #1 single 'Europa' by Mónica Naranjo (we wish the UK had such unorthodox tracks topping the singles charts), finishing 3rd with a total of 245 points. This was Quintessa's second bronze medal of the year, their fourth top 10 in the space of 6 contests and their 6th top 5 and 7th top 10 hit in total to date. 4th place went to a dark horse hit from Harmonica, 'joy.' by for KING & COUNTRY (who are apparently big fans of nonstandard capitals and stylisation), picking up 244 points on its way to becoming Harmonica's first ever top 5 hit on their 44th entry to date. It was their 3rd top 10, their previous biggest hit being MEG MAC's 'Never Be' which came 8th in BJSC 87, while their only other top 10, Lauren Alaina's 'Road Less Traveled', came 9th three contests later. The top 5 was completed by Cowtermont with 'Long Way Down' by W&W and Darren Styles feat. Giin in 5th on 243 points, their 3rd top 10 hit both of 2018 and to date, all of which were top 5. That count includes their BJSC 104 3rd placer 'Ends Of Time' by NWYR, which is actually just an alias of W&W. Sneaky. 'Long Way Down' was the winner of semi-final 1, Cowtermont's first semi-final winner.

- Another dark horse hit, ska punk band The Interrupters' 'She's Kerosene' smashed out of nowhere to come 6th for Land of DW, becoming their third top 10 of 2018 and fourth in total, another big achievement in a breakout year for the nation. FARC's auto-qualifier 'Want Me More' by NAATIONS came in 7th giving them a second top 10 in a row, fourth of the year and 17th in total, just ahead of another two rock songs in a big month for the genre. Utopia finished 8th with 'Dressed To Suppress' by Metric, their second top 10 in a row and 9th to date (their top 10 hits have tended to come in pairs, as their last four top 10s before this pair were in BJSCs 43, 44, 72 and 73 - expect another two circa 2021?), also claiming the honour of most 18s in the contest, picking up top marks from 6 countries. Its success was forecast by it managing to qualify despite a 33% deduction for Utopia failing to vote in the semi-final. 9th place went to Niceland with Creye's classic rock tinged 'Christina', becoming Niceland's 4th top 10 hit, all of them in 2018. Completing a top 10 abnormally packed with dark horses/underdogs, Desbuanda grabbed a 10th place finish with 'Time Can Heal A Man' by SAVEUS, appropriately getting a hit at the same time as their allied nation and fellow perennial underdog Harmonica (with the two actually being the top 2 for a fairly lengthy period during the results reveal before falling back). Desbuanda's only previous top 10 hit was Eves The Behavior's 'TV' which finished as high as 2nd back in BJSC 72.

- After four straight contests with no debuting nations, BJSC 108 finally saw some new blood again, with Wholune making their first appearance in the contest. Unfortunately for them, their debut entry 'Chances' by Deco did not manage to qualify for the final. New peaks remained thin on the ground with Harmonica being the only country registering a new national best finish.

- Six countries made returns to the contest, with four of those making it to the final. The most successful comeback was Hendinia who returned from a six contest absence (by far the longest they'd ever been missing from the contest since their BJSC 13 debut, having never previously missed more than 2 in a row) to finish 15th - only 22 points behind 3rd as previously mentioned - with LVNDSCAPE's 'Riot (Lo Lo Loco)' (feat. Alida). D'yermak'er made a surprise return after they seemed to have quit for good following their silver medal winning 50th entry in BJSC 100, managing 18th place with comeback entry 'Sip Sip' by Jasmine Sandlas featuring Intense (finally a qualifier for an entry of South Asian origin for the nation who had sent several such entries before without success). Kluminican Republic came back from their one-contest ban to finish 21st with the delightfully weird 'Wriggle' by Cosmo Sheldrake. Also making their first appearance since BJSC 100, Varakë finished 22nd with comeback 'Drunk Groove' by MARUV and Boosin, their first qualifier since BJSC 97. Another country that made its first appearance since BJSC 100 was Ambienta (in fact BJSC 100 was their only previous appearance) but sadly that comeback wouldn't last as they didn't vote in either the semi-final or the final (and we reckon they'd have liked our entry dammit), though it wouldn't have been a first qualifier for them regardless of the 33% deduction. A return from Enty after a one month break also DNQed. Ambienta were the only nation banned from BJSC 109; Skall also didn't vote in the final but avoided the ban due to extenuating circumstances (and again we reckon they'd have helped our numbers especially as they gave us 12 points in the semi-final, curses xx).

- The country that shielded us from the wooden spoon, finishing 38th out of 38, was Suedeonia who claimed their first last placer with 'Sweet Harmony' by She Drew The Gun. That got 89 points (5 fewer than our entry, clearly making the race for last more exciting than the one for first), being the only other entry besides ours to not reach triple figures.

- Other noteworthy results: Tinnmark's 100th entry, 'Liberation' by Harold Van Lennep, finished in a solid 11th place (although no one noticed it was their 100th entry until after the final voting was over so it wasn't an entry taking advantage of the anniversary entry veto framework); Daehun came 13th with SUNMI's 'Siren', finally breaking her curse as a solo artist as she'd DNQed with three previous entries including two others for Daehun (although one of those DNQs was only due to a deduction in the semi-final); Aeroche actually suffered a rare underperformance to come a mere 16th with the KC Lights remix of Motez' 'The Future' (feat. Antony & Cleopatra) which had been tipped as a contender to win (would they still get their annual win? thinking.gif); hosts Summericia came 20th with their auto-qualifier 'Connection Through Sound' by Katty Heath.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 108

Final

Points awarded:
18 Jadakissnia // Somnium - Sinking
15 Terra Avium // We Are All Astronauts - Ether
13 Kluminican Republic // Cosmo Sheldrake - Wriggle

12 D'yermak'er // Jasmine Sandlas - Sip Sip (feat. Intense)
11 Land of DW // The Interrupters - She's Kerosene
10 Quintessa // Mónica Naranjo - Europa
9 Jupiterdonia // VAVA - My New Swag (feat. Ty. and Nina Wang)
8 Utopia // Metric - Dressed To Suppress
7 Tartford // Mylo - Need You Tonite
6 Desbuanda // SAVEUS - Time Can Heal A Man

5 Fljótavík // Kilo Kish - Elegance
4 Niceland // Creye - Christina
3 Thelonia // Raito - One Step Beyond
2 Trifoski // Gypsy & The Cat - Time To Wander
1 Tinnmark // Harold Van Lennep - Liberation

16th-37th:
Aeroche // Motez - The Future (KC Lights Remix) (feat. Antony & Cleopatra)
Séyetana // HISASHIz - Feign Madness
Lotunia // Widy - Yahabibi
Pupok // Sophie Hunger - She Makes President
Cadelicia // Perfume - Party Maker
Harmonica // for KING & COUNTRY - joy.
Unovia // Ani Lorak - Sumasshedshaya
Varakë // MARUV and Boosin - Drunk Groove
Hendinia // LVNDSCAPE - Riot (Lo Lo Loco) (feat. Alida)
Summericia // Katty Heath - Connection Through Sound
Cowtermont // W&W and Darren Styles - Long Way Down (feat. Giin)
Bhangra // Leony - Boots
FARC // NAATIONS - Want Me More
Holland-Oats // Young Franco - Talkin' Bout It (feat. KLP)
St. Burbia // Alice Chater - Heartbreak Hotel
Cor Lupus // Daniella Mason - Cruel Summer
Suedeonia // She Drew The Gun - Sweet Harmony
Daehun // SUNMI - Siren
Ojnoj // Chelcee Grimes - I Need A Night Out
South Danaelanda // BUNT. - On My Way (feat. Leah Haywood)
Florina // Ivy Adara - Rebels
New Lexico // LE DEVA - L'Estate Tutto L'Anno

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
12 Terra Avium // We Are All Astronauts - Ether
10 Land of DW // The Interrupters - She's Kerosene
8 Quintessa // Mónica Naranjo - Europa

7 Jupiterdonia // VAVA - My New Swag (feat. Ty. and Nina Wang)
6 Desbuanda // SAVEUS - Time Can Heal A Man
5 Tinnmark // Harold Van Lennep - Liberation
4 Fljótavík // Kilo Kish - Elegance
3 Cadelicia // Perfume - Party Maker
2 Séyetana // HISASHIz - Feign Madness
1 Trifoski // Gypsy & The Cat - Time To Wander

11th-28th:
Skall // Amber Mark - All The Work
Wholune // Deco - Chances
Varakë // MARUV and Boosin - Drunk Groove
Aesthetica // Monari Wakita - Gozigen Lover-Joi
Holland-Oats // Young Franco - Talkin' Bout It (feat. KLP)
Deandria // XXANAXX - Give U The World
FSR Rontvia // Yusuf Can Kurt and Emircan Hattat - Dream (feat. La Dee Eda)
Unovia // Ani Lorak - Sumasshedshaya
Bøtanikkä // The O.T. Quartet - Hold That Sucker Down
Beaverdonia // Chaos Chaos - Do You Feel It?
Ojnoj // Chelcee Grimes - I Need A Night Out
Ultraviolenceland // Fred De Palma - D'Estate Non Vale (feat. Ana Mena)
New Lexico // LE DEVA - L'Estate Tutto L'Anno
République d'Ashton // Luca Hänni - Signs
Altyr Muunilinst // Samantha Harvey - Please
Daehun // SUNMI - Siren
Dobago // ManyFew - Where To Go (feat. Twiggy)

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2 DNQs

1st Taahino // mewithoutYou - Julia (Or, 'Holy To The LORD' On The Bells Of Horses)
5th Ambienta // Actress - X22RME
9th Flynnonda // half•alive - still feel.

13th Rolloland // Art Of Noise - Close-Up
14th The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Ruel - Younger
15th Espen // Anastasija - Savrsen Par
16th Enty // Kendji Girac - Ma Bien Aimée
23rd Aelandor // Relient K - PTL
24th East Rukahavian // Ozuna - Aura (feat. Arthur Hanlon)
28th Mulgracia // Plumb - Beautifully Broken
29th Hushkanukia // Hanna Ferm - Never Mine

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #288
Group icon

end of year catchup edition [3/5]

Spor revived for Your Best of BJSC II

October saw another spinoff, Your Best of BJSC, revived for a second edition (third if you count Your Best of BJSC - The Rejects which was held shortly after the original YBO), hosted by Taahino. After choosing a song that originally DNQed (Beat Connection's 'In The Water') to represent us in the first of these we decided again to go down the route of picking what we felt was an underrated entry of ours for this one, going with our BJSC 52 entry 'Pacifica' from British DJ Jon Gooch under his alias Spor, remixed by Australian duo Kito & Reija Lee. This remix, a slower and more mellow and emotional version of the original bass-heavy dubstep track (which entirely replaces the original vocals with those of Reija Lee) finished in a lowly 24th place out of 30 in its contest (with the majority of its 58 points coming from just three countries who gave it top marks), but we hoped that it might turn out to be a 'before its time' entry that might appeal more to some nations that have joined more recently as well as hopefully growing on some that were around for it the first time. We kind of forgot about our usual self-enforced attempts to minimise recycling in these sorts of spinoffs as both artists have been sent by other countries as well (Spor was sent under his more common alias of Feed Me with 'What It Feels Like' (feat. Nina Nesbitt), Cadelicia's BJSC 88 entry, while Kito & Reija Lee were also recycled by Cadelicia for BJSC 65 entry 'Starting Line' and before that represented Varakë with 'Night By Night' in BJSC 62) but ah well, they were ours first and this song deserved a second chance xx

'Pacifica' was drawn as song 25 of 39 in the spinoff. At the moment due to some technical difficulties with the host nation we're still awaiting the results of this contest, we'll drop a hopefully slightly more timely news bulletin update once they're eventually posted but for now we'll squeeze the next contest into this post as well...

BJSC 109

my artpop could mean anything

Ash Koosha represents us for BJSC 109

Our 88th main contest entry, for BJSC 109 in Cor Lupus, came from Iranian born musician and 'futurist' Ashkan Kooshanejad (better known as Ash Koosha), who currently lives as an asylum seeker in the UK and has also notably performed in the USA via virtual reality due to being blocked from entering the country under Donald Trump's travel ban. The track, 'Aroha', was taken from his March 2018 album 'AKTUAL', the first of several albums he dropped this year including one which was 'written and performed' by an artificial intelligence 'virtual singer' named Yona. Koosha is the second Iranian artist we've sent to the contest following Iranian-German Sogand from BJSC 73.

'Aroha' is an experimental electronic track in a similar vein to recent works by Arca, including the use of ethereal falsetto vocals. The highlight of the track is an instrumental section in the middle, which we only wish was a little longer. The mysterious and colourful music video gives the 'lyrics' of the song, and while the title comes from the Maori word for 'love', the words are actually meaningless and not in any language (so we were a little late to the #madeuplanguagebloc of Trifoski and Deandria's entries to BJSC 108 x), so while it certainly made it 8 out of 9 entries in 2018 to date for us to not be in English, we're not sure if we can count it as our 14th 'foreign language' entry magic.gif here's the song anyway:

We were drawn as track 18 of 28 in semi-final 2. Would this continue our qualification streak?

Nope x

Unfortunately our fairytale run of continuously qualifying with super risky entries did come to an end in BJSC 109 as 'Aroha' missed out on the final, our 22nd DNQ and the end of a qualification streak of 6. And we actually thought this one had a pretty good chance (after all Arca had a top 10 hit in the Pride I spinoff earlier the same year with a pretty similar sound) but nevermind! (editor's note: to be honest this wasn't exactly one of our finest moments, likely the entry from this year I'll go back to the least. It's still good and deserved better tho xx) Like our previous 2018 DNQ, ROSALÍA's 'Catalina' from BJSC 102, 'Aroha' wasn't far off qualifying and was actually even closer than that was, finishing 20th out of 28 with 48 points, only 6 points off the lowest qualifying position of 18th (and losing a tiebreak for 19th place). 9 countries voted for it in the semi-final including three medal positions - trusty East Rukahavian were our biggest fans giving us 10 points while it got 8 each from Cowtermont and Jadakissnia. Thanks anyways to those and the rest of our voters (it also got 6 each from Aesthetica and Terra Avium, 4 each from Aelandor and D'yermak'er and 1 each from Aeroche and FARC). Although our streak came to an end, the two longest running qualification streaks survived again, Cor Lupus of course having an auto-qualifier while Aeroche also sailed through to take both to streaks of 23 finals in a row, while South Danaelanda made it through to stay as their closest competition with a run of 11 in a row.

Most of our votes made it through again but we did lose our 5 pointer (Ojnoj with Black Honey's 'Wasting Time', one of their better entries so was a shame to see that one going) and our 2 pointer (Kluminican Republic with Peter Crowley's 'Queen Of The Sea'). Over in semi-final 1, again 8 of our 10 favourites made it but it was a second month in a row where our favourite song from the opposite semi-final fell short, this time Summericia with 'Our Darkness' by Anne Clark </3 the other casualty was Skall's entry 'SE16' by God Colony feat. Flohio, which we ranked 10th.

BJSC 109 summary

- Aeroche bounced straight back from their underwhelming result in the previous contest and proved why we should never doubt them. They famously won three times in a row in BJSCs 46-48 and have since then added one additional win in each calendar year, in BJSCs 51, 66, 79, 90 and 100 and as if by clockwork 109 was the next in the sequence making them the first country to reach 9 wins in the contest's history (after previously matching FSR Rontvia on 8 wins). Their latest victory came courtesy of Colleen D'Agostino with 'Disaster', a mere Spotify bonus track from the same EP that housed deadmau5 collaboration 'Stay' which came 4th for Danaelanda back in BJSC 74. Apparently it took another three and a half years for someone to realise that EP had an even more wide appealing song on it (a more pure pop song as it were, the second consecutive unapologetically pure pop winner). 'Disaster' won with 296 points in another photo-finish result in a year filled with those, only four points ahead of its closest competitor. It was Aeroche's 29th top 5 hit, leaving them only one off matching FSR Rontvia's record tally, and their 37th top 10 to date, as well as expanding Aeroche's record for total number of medal position finishes (giving them a tally of 9-6-7, compared to FSR Rontvia's 8-6-6). Another record already held by Aeroche but expanded further: their number of semi-final wins, as 'Disaster' topped semi-final 2 to give them an 11th semi-final victory, two more than Altyr Muunilinst in second place. The BJSC kings' semi-final victories were last listed in the summary for the contest exactly one year earlier. After this, Aeroche had come top 5 in semi-finals 41 times compared to just 13 times where they competed in semi-finals and *didn't* come top 5 (only barely more than the 12 times they auto-qualified, which would of course become 13 times as well in the following contest). We are all in awe. x This meant that we were blessed to have the year of main BJSC contests end the same way it started, with Aeroche's beautiful hosting. Hooray!

- Denied by Aeroche's annually scheduled victory, it was yet another narrow miss for FARC who got 292 points to finish 2nd with GUNSHIP's 'Dark All Day' (feat. Tim Cappello and Indiana), missing out by 4 points just two months after their last runner-up which missed out by 1. It was their fifth silver medal finish in all which have all been very near misses, though they do have two wins including one landslide win to make up for it to some extent. It also marked a third top 10 in a row for them, their fifth top 10 in the space of seven contests, and their 11th top 5 and 18th top 10 hit in total. A month after their largely unnoticed 100th entry anniversary, Tinnmark's 101st entry turned out to be one more fitting of anniversary status, though it managed to make it through under the usual veto framework anyway: it was the 9 minute instrumental 'Opus' by Eric Prydz, as epic as its title makes it sound. Capitalising off heavy dance bloc support it became one of the long running but often underappreciated nation's biggest hits, finishing 3rd with 284 points and coming the closest they ever have to finally getting a first win (their peak of 2nd with Sandra Lyng's 'Play My Drum' in BJSC 76 was still 118 points off the winner, while two previous 3rd place finishes were also more than the 12 points off the leader the 'Opus' ended up at). In all it was just Tinnmark's 5th ever top 5 hit and their 11th top 10.

- Flynnonda managed to quickly follow their big win in the Masquerade II spinoff with a first proper smash in the main contest, as they finished 4th with 264 points with LP's 'Girls Go Wild'. It was only the second time the whole year that Flynnonda had even qualified for the final, ending a run of 5 straight DNQs, and only their 11th qualifier out of 36 entries to date. It smashed their previous best of 15th place which they previously managed twice, with XYconstant's 'Silverlined' and VUKOVI's 'La Di Da' in BJSCs 78 and 93 respectively, while also managing to pull out a win in semi-final 1, Flynnonda's first semi-final winner. Quintessa came 5th with 243 points to grab back-to-back top 5 hits for the second time in their history, their 7th top 5 and 8th top 10 hit in total and their 5th top 10 in the space of 7 contests, continuing to match FARC. This latest smash in Quintessa's massive breakthrough year was 'Dark Sea' by Wings Of The ISANG, which finally proved that post-rock can in fact get you further than the 20s in a BJSC final even at a fairly typical length for the genre of 8 minutes (perhaps given a bit more cross appeal by the excellent use of Korean vocals in the final minutes of the track though it probably would have still been an easy 18 for us with or without them). It was another month where no one song had a massive number of top scores so the honour of most 18s was shared between several: this time, it was all of the songs from 2nd to 5th place which all got 4 18s, as did Unovia's 29th-placed entry 'Bad' by Lennon Stella.

- Bhangra came 6th with Rhys' 'Starfish' (feat. FELIX SANDMAN) to get their 8th top 10 hit to date and first of the year, also continuing Rhys' 100% top 10 hit rate out of three appearances in a little over a year and a half (although unlike her two previous entries, 'Last Dance' for FARC in BJSC 93 and 'Too Good To Be True' for Altyr Muunilinst in BJSC 100, this one didn't win its semi-final). 7th place went to Beaverdonia who avoided Beaverdoniaism this time around to get their third top 10 hit and first since also coming 7th in BJSC 91; this time they got there with Metric's 'Now Or Never Now', finishing one place higher than the last time Metric showed up in the contest just one month earlier. Flynnonda were not the only country getting their first top 10 as Tartford also finally broke their duck after an even longer wait, coming 8th with the Played In Full mix of Ofra Haza's 'Im Nin'Alu' (a minor UK hit and bigger international one from 1988 that has since been sampled by Madonna), taking advantage of anniversary entry rules for their 50th entry after being vetoed with the track earlier in the year. Their previous best result was 11th with Marsheaux's 'Safe Tonight' in BJSC 86. This first top 10 hit for them was a humongous 99 contests after their BJSC 10 debut, a record wait by a huge margin (beating the 51 contests Alteria waited for a first top 10), also smashing the record for most entries before a first top 10 which was previously held by (South) Danaelanda who had their first top 10 with their 34th entry (meaning Flynnonda also beat that record); N-Lazone were left as the country with the most entries to have never come top 10, with 41 entries. Completing the BJSC 109 top 10 were Séyetana in 9th with Temperance's 'The Last Hope In A World Of Hopes' (another symphonic metal entry from them if the title didn't make that obvious), their 15th top 10 hit and returning to their trend of usually only scraping into the top 10 when they make it (5 10th places and 4 9th places and counting), and Terra Avium who took 10th place with an uncharacteristically poppy entry 'Time Again' by Sheila And The Kit, their 8th top 10 hit and first of the year.

- We had another debuting nation (just one month after the previous one this time!) in the form of Arcodesia, and unlike the rest of 2018's debuting nations they actually managed to make it to the final, the first debut entry to qualify since Lotunia's BJSC 95 start. Their first offering, Claudia Cazacu's 'Freefalling' (feat. Audrey Gallagher), landed in a decent 25th place in the final. Wholune DNQed again but finished one position higher in the semi-final than in their debut contest, while there were no other new peaks beyond Flynnonda and Tartford.

- After the flurry of returns in BJSC 108, 109 was quieter on that front with only four comebacks, and only one of them made the final. That was Frandoot who got their second qualifier of the year after returning from a one-month ban and their second best result to date, coming 14th with the Calippo remix of Angelika Vee's 'Coco Jamboo'. Buzzjack Mountain, Oslol and Republic of Adonia made returns after 1, 2 and 3 contests away respectively but all missed out on the final. Oslol were the only one of the three to even vote in the semi-final, although Republic of Adonia didn't entirely live up to their non-voting reputation as they did vote in the final and thus avoided being banned again. Buzzjack Mountain did however skip voting in both stages, while D'yermak'er and Fljótavík failed to vote in the final so joined them in being banned for BJSC 110. Espen unfortunately voted late in the final to incur a 15% deduction - their entry, 'Orange Skies' by NIMMO, was already criminally low before that deduction but it obviously didn't help them out and they ended up just 36th, for shame.

- The wooden spoon for BJSC 109 was a song that shouldn't really have been in the final at all - St. Burbia finished on the bottom of the pile, in a final that had 39 songs in it instead of the planned 38 as the Burbian entry, 'Emotional' by Kamille, Kranium and Louis Rei, was originally announced as a qualifier but that turned out to be due to a slight spreadsheet error and it should really have DNQed in 19th in the semi-final. The mods were kind enough to let it keep its place in the final anyway, where it picked up only 59 points. Two other (fully legitimate) qualifiers fell short of the 100 point mark, Florina coming 38th with 93 points for Shungudzo's 'Come On Back' and Utopia finishing 37th on 96 points with 'You & Jennifer' by bülow.

- Other noteworthy results: Thelonia, the country who were given a place in the final thanks to that spreadsheet error being spotted after they were originally announced as narrowly DNQing yet again, massively outperformed their semi-final result to finish 16th with Endor's 'Gunna Be Mine' continuing their run of recent good form (it was their 5th top 20 hit, 3 of which were in the space of the last 5 contests); Jadakissnia's auto-qualifier 'Venter' by Ben Frost managed a solid 17th place finish to earn some justice for Frost's previous entry 'Sola Fide', a Persephonian favourite, being a distant DNQ for Elëdan back in BJSC 65; Aesthetica came 20th with The Pom-Poms' 'I GOT THAT BOOM', only their second ever top 20 hit and first since BJSC 91; the other auto-qualifier from hosts Cor Lupus, Visions Of Atlantis' 'The Deep & The Dark', came in 31st.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 109

Final

Points awarded:
18 Quintessa // Wings Of The ISANG - Dark Sea
15 Jadakissnia // Ben Frost - Venter
13 Lotunia // Laibach - Vor Sonnen-Aufgang

12 Séyetana // Temperance - The Last Hope In A World Of Hopes
11 Espen // NIMMO - Orange Skies
10 Aesthetica // The Pom-Poms - I GOT THAT BOOM
9 Tartford // Ofra Haza - Im Nin'Alu (Played In Full Mix)
8 Trifoski // Bayonne - Appeals
7 Tinnmark // Eric Prydz - Opus
6 Aelandor // Feint - Outbreak (feat. MYLK)

5 Cowtermont // Metrik - Dawnbreaker
4 Rolloland // Arsenal - Whale
3 Land of DW // Chris Lake - Turn Off The Lights (Cages Remix) (feat. Alexis Roberts)
2 Frandoot // Angelika Vee - Coco Jamboo (Calippo Remix)
1 Jupiterdonia // MONORAL - Kiri

16th-39th:
Cor Lupus // Visions Of Atlantis - The Deep & The Dark
Terra Avium // Sheila And The Kit - Time Again
Beaverdonia // Metric - Now Or Never Now
Arcodesia // Claudia Cazacu - Freefalling (feat. Audrey Gallagher)
Flynnonda // LP - Girls Go Wild
Taahino // Swimming Girls - Beneath You
FARC // GUNSHIP - Dark All Day (feat. Tim Cappello and Indiana)
Thelonia // Endor - Gunna Be Mine
Aeroche // Colleen D'Agostino - Disaster
Unovia // Lennon Stella - Bad
Hendinia // Slayyyter - I'm High
Bhangra // Rhys - Starfish (feat. FELIX SANDMAN)
South Danaelanda // Super8 & Tab - Burn (feat. Hero Baldwin)
St. Burbia // Kamille, Kranium and Louis Rei - Emotional
Harmonica // American Authors - Deep Water
New Lexico // Miya Folick - Stop Talking
République d'Ashton // Nico Santos - Safe
Cadelicia // LCMDF - Thank God I Didn't Get To Know You At All
Ultraviolenceland // Clara Mae - Us
Florina // Shungudzo - Come On Back
Holland-Oats // GLADES - Not About You
Bøtanikkä // SHY Martin - Forget To Forget
Dobago // Zazie - Speed
Utopia // bülow - You & Jennifer

~

Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:
12 Quintessa // Wings Of The ISANG - Dark Sea
10 Séyetana // Temperance - The Last Hope In A World Of Hopes
8 Aesthetica // The Pom-Poms - I GOT THAT BOOM

7 Aelandor // Feint - Outbreak (feat. MYLK)
6 Cowtermont // Metrik - Dawnbreaker
5 Ojnoj // Black Honey - Wasting Time
4 Land of DW // Chris Lake - Turn Off The Lights (Cages Remix) (feat. Alexis Roberts)
3 Terra Avium // Sheila And The Kit - Time Again
2 Kluminican Republic // Peter Crowley - Queen Of The Sea
1 FARC // GUNSHIP - Dark All Day (feat. Tim Cappello and Indiana)

11th-27th:
Frandoot // Angelika Vee - Coco Jamboo (Calippo Remix)
Oslol // Teyana Taylor - WTP
D'yermak'er // Anushqa - Something In Common
Taahino // Swimming Girls - Beneath You
Varakë // The Prince Karma - Later Bitches
East Rukahavian // Mariza - Quem Me Dera
FSR Rontvia // Tautumeitas - Sadziedami
République d'Ashton // Nico Santos - Safe
Wholune // Jerry Williams - I'm Not In Love With You
Daehun // IU - You & I
Ultraviolenceland // Clara Mae - Us
Cadelicia // LCMDF - Thank God I Didn't Get To Know You At All
Holland-Oats // GLADES - Not About You
Bøtanikkä // SHY Martin - Forget To Forget
Utopia // bülow - You & Jennifer

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 1 DNQs

1st Summericia // Anne Clark - Our Darkness
10th Skall // God Colony - SE16 (feat. Flohio)
11th Suedeonia // Tricky - We Don't Die
13th Fljótavík // Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone
15th Altyr Muunilinst // Laura Branigan - Solitaire
16th Buzzjack Mountain // Green Gnome - Egyptian
25th Niceland // Gavin James - Glow
26th Mulgracia // Nikki Jean - Pink Lemonade
27th Republic of Adonia // RIRI - RUSH

+Quote this post
Brer
post 13th December 2018, 11:42 PM
Post #289
Group icon

end of year catchup edition [4/5]

BJSC Halloween II

if you die you die

Denzel Curry and co. seek VENGEANCE against Persephoniaism in BJSC Halloween II

2018 squeezed out one more spinoff sequel, with St. Burbia hosting a second edition of BJSC Halloween dropping just in time for the spooky day itself. Persephonia took the opportunity to send a collaboration between three rising American rappers, the horrorcore-tinged trap banger 'VENGEANCE | VENGEANCE' (all the song titles on the album are stylised similarly) taken from 'TA13OO', the July 2018 third studio album by Floridian Denzel Curry (which charted at #62 in the UK Albums Chart, smash). The track, which features Baltimore experimental hip-hop artist Barrington Hendricks aka JPEGMAFIA and New York 'trap metal' rapper Junius Rogers aka ZillaKami, one third of the group City Morgue, and also has a chill outro from uncredited guest vocalist Mickey de Grand IV, was given a dark and gruesome music video as it was promoted as the fourth single from the album, visualising the horror movie-esque aesthetic of the lyrics. Only very tenuously a 'Halloween' related song but we went with it anyway as it was one of the most popular songs in Persephonia of the moment and we got away with it xx

The track appeared in slot 7 of 28 in the running order (with Persephonia's seasonal alias name of Percemetery making a return from the original Halloween spinoff - a fitting name for a song that is mostly about killing people).

BJSC Halloween II summary

Not unsurprisingly, 'VENGEANCE | VENGEANCE' wasn't a massive hit with the audience, ultimately finishing 19th out of 28 with 40 points from 7 voters (losing a tiebreak for 18th and thus narrowly avoiding missing the bottom 10, aw), although we were given some false hope on the night of the results reveal as we sat in the top 10 halfway through before the scoreboard was locked and the second half of the votes were revealed as a 'jury'... in which we finished dead last with just two additional points. At least the early voters liked us! We ranked in the medal positions for two countries, receiving a full 12 from our perennial allies Jadakissnia and 10 points from the hosts St. Burbia (the contest used the Eurovision voting system due to the smaller number of entries than other recent spinoffs).

The Persephonian BJSC Committee was however greatly pleased to see that, like in the first Halloween spinoff won by Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells', the song that received top points from Persephonia went on to win. That song - a bit less well-known this time - was the intense techno offering 'The Solace Of Oblivion' by Helblinde, which received 128 points to win fairly comfortably for Terra Avium/Terror Avium. This was Terra Avium's second spinoff win of the year after also taking the crown in BJSC Andra Chansen with Max Richter's 'Spring 1' (Ade Laugee Remix) (not technically counted as an official spinoff but we make the editorial decision to count it as one anyway), moving them further away from their eternal 2nd place curse, though they still await a win in the main contest. Pupok/Pushock made a late rally with a comfortable win among the 'jury' votes but the gap was too big to make up and they settled for second place with Alice Glass' 'Without Love' on 112 points. Something as tough to listen to as a disturbing 10 minute orchestral composition from the 50s didn't get in the way of Aeroche/Scaeroche who took the harrowing 'Threnody To The Victims Of Hiroshima' by Krzysztof Penderecki to 3rd place with 90 points, we appreciate the bravery although would have loved to see it in a main contest instead. Espen/Espenchant took 4th place with 86 points with witch house track 'No Love' by AL†RS and the top 5 was completed by Jadakissnia/Jadakillnia who won a tiebreak on 83 points to place 5th with a spooky electronic banger, 'Black' by The M Machine.

Losing the tiebreak and finishing 6th was KIll J's cover of Aqua's 'Barbie Girl', highlighting its disturbing lyrics, representing Cadelicia/Cauldronlicia (funnily enough not the first cover of 'Barbie Girl' to appear in a BJSC spinoff as FSR Rontvia sent the Scala & Kolacny Brothers version to BJSC Reinvention I). Cor Lupus/Corpse Lupus came in 7th with 'Destination-Armageddon', a well-made mashup of Scandroid's 'Destination Unknown' and Blue Stahli's 'Armageddon' credited to Scandroid vs. Blue Stahli. 8th place went to Beaverdonia/Land of the Killer Beavers with CocoRosie's 'Gallows' (originally 7th but dropping a place due to a 15% deduction for their votes being reportedly about 10 minutes late), while the top 10 was completed by more spooky dance from Cowtermont/Clowntermont in 9th with Alesia's 'Andrea' and a rare spinoff appearance for Summericia/Spookericia finishing 10th with 'Reich Mir Die Hand' by Blutengel.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC Halloween II

Points awarded:
12 Terra Avium // Helblinde - The Solace Of Oblivion
10 Cor Lupus // Scandroid vs. Blue Stahli - Destination-Armageddon
8 Aeroche // Krzysztof Penderecki - Threnody To The Victims Of Hiroshima

7 Aelandor // Adam Young - Bloody Omaha
6 Espen // AL†RS - No Love
5 South Danaelanda // Skrillex - Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites
4 Pupok // Alice Glass - Without Love
3 Jadakissnia // The M Machine - Black
2 Cowtermont // Alesia - Andrea
1 Jupiterdonia // Azealia Banks - Yung Rapunxel

11th-27th:
Quintessa // Myrkur - Ulvinde
Cadelicia // KIll J - Barbie Girl
Deandria // TEARIST - Disposition
Rolloland // Landscape - Norman Bates
Fljótavík // Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
Beaverdonia // CocoRosie - Gallows
East Rukahavian // Fever Ray - If I Had A Heart
Altyr Muunilinst // SAFIA - Paranoia, Ghosts & Other Sounds
Flynnonda // DIAMANTE - Haunted
Wholune // Palaye Royale - Death Dance
Taahino // Adore Delano - The Creeps
Summericia // Blutengel - Reich Mir Die Hand
Bøtanikkä // Jelena Karleuša - Insomnia (feat. Mirza)
St. Burbia // VON GREY - Poison In The Water
Lotunia // SUNMI - Full Moon (feat. Lena)
Aesthetica // Rich White Ladies - The Craft
Ojnoj // Slashstreet Boys - I'll Kill You That Way

+Quote this post
Brer
post 13th December 2018, 11:42 PM
Post #290
Group icon

end of year catchup edition [5/5]

BJSC 110

#instrumentalbloc #violinhop #whenwilllindseystirling

raaginder looks to rise up the leaderboard in BJSC 110

For the final main contest of the year, BJSC 110 in Aeroche, Persephonia turned to Thai-born Californian producer and violinist of Indian descent Raginder Singh Momi, who performs under the name raaginder (and formerly 'Violinder', ikonek), with his October released single 'Rise' to hope to end the year with a qualifier and avoid having back-to-back DNQs once again. The song was our 89th main contest entry to date. Though we'd like to claim him as our second Thai BJSC artist (and first in a main contest, following Shuu who we sent to the first edition of the Worldvision spinoff after being drawn Thailand), he does seem to identify primarily as American so he just extends the lead the USA has as our most common nationality x

'Rise' was another instrumental entry from us, our 16th to date in main contests including five of our ten 2018 entries (meaning J.I.D's 'NEVER' in BJSC 106 was our only English language entry of the entire year #waronenglish) and showcases raaginder's signature fusion of Indian classical music with more contemporary sounds, being a fusion of bhangra rhythms played on violin and hip-hop/trap production. Think of him as basically the Indian-American male version of Lindsey Stirling, except without making awful sellout songs like her last couple of BJSC entries xx Unlike our other instrumental entries of the year this one is pretty short, finishing in just over 3 minutes (actually having a fake ending after only two and a half minutes before thankfully coming back in for a little longer, we couldn't be doing with a song that short x). At the time we discovered it it had less than 1,000 views on YouTube and is still has less than 2,000 so has for now overtaken Dead Husband's 'Healthy Boy' as our most obscure BJSC entry to date.

'Rise' was drawn as song 12 of 28 in semi-final 2. Later on in the semi-final, in slot 24, was Run The Jewels' 'Mean Demeanor' representing Land of DW. RTJ are a Persephonian alumnus as we sent them to BJSC Xmas Special II with their track 'A Christmas Fucking Miracle', but more importantly they're the only act we've ever sent to the main contest and been vetoed for (still an outrage tbh!!1), so y'all can still expect them to rear their heads once again to seek revenge for our 100th entry anniversary in a bit over a year (we'll be suspending our self-enforced no recycling rule for the occasion x). No other former Persephonian artists appeared in the contest although we did recently discover that DANCE WITH THE DEAD, our BJSC 79 act who were recently also in the Masquerade II spinoff, were the co-producers of Florina's entry, 'Murder' by vverevvolf, which was song 11 in semi-final 1, so that's pretty kool ~

We qualified again, yay!

raaginder successfully returned us to the final, our 67th final in total to date, once again vanquishing the threat of having consecutive DNQs for the first time since BJSCs 54-56. It was a long wait to have that confirmed though as we were literally the last qualifier announced (thanks random.org x). That meant we ended the year with 8 out of a possible 10 qualifiers in 2018, matching what we did in 2017. Aeroche auto-qualified as hosts and Cor Lupus safely made it in again so their qualification streaks, 24 each, successfully survived through all of 2018. Their closest competitor South Danaelanda DNQed however, leaving St. Burbia as the new third place on the list with 11 finals in a row. 'Rise' got to be the closing act in the grand final, drawn in slot 38 of 38.

Only 7 of our 10 votes made it to the final this time, with two big if not unexpected losses (our 8 pointer from Trifoski, 'Inchman' by Jack Stauber's Micropop, and our 7 pointer 'Memories And Faces' by Liela Moss representing Utopia) and another slightly more surprising and disappointing miss, Flynnonda's Mikhail Catan with 'Heart And Soul', our 2 pointer. So much for Flynnonda racism ending D: 2 of our top 10 of semi-final 1 also bit the dust, with Terra Avium's spooky retro entry 'Suspiria' by Goblin coming near last in the semi-final somehow (we ranked it 5th) while Beaverdonia, who we ranked 9th, also missed out with White Hinterland's 'Ring The Bell'.

BJSC 110 summary

- The year ended on a good note as we nabbed our fifth top 20 hit of the year and 39th in total to date, with 'Rise' coming 17th out of 38 with 177 points from 24 voters (incidentally the same position we got in the first contest of the year which had the same host, and with only three fewer points - and this now makes 17th the position we've finished in the most times as it's our sixth song to finish there, meanwhile we've also come 19th five times but still never had an 18th place finish somehow). Among that total was the first 18 we'd received for 3 months, coming from Singerpurear (the first time we've ever got their top marks), plus two further medal positions: a 15 from Summericia and 13s from Dobago and Land of DW. The result boosted us up to finish in 14th place in the end of year rankings, continuing our streak of EOY top 20 finishes to a sixth year in a row, and also marking an improvement on last year where we finished 18th. Hooray! 'Rise' was never in danger of DNQing as it was a comfortable 7th out of 28 in semi-final 2 with 75 points, and it ended up pretty much in line with its projected 16th place finish. This was our fourth semi-final top 10 finish of the year.

- With five of the previous nine winners this year being first-time winners (Ojnoj, New Lexico, Niceland, Land of DW and Summericia), BJSC 110 had the chance to make first-time winners a majority in 2018, and it quickly became clear that it would as it was a race between two countries who had both never won before. In the end the victorious nation was somewhat sporadic participant and not-always-reliable voter Oslol who pulled out their first win with their 41st entry since debuting as The People's Republic of Ginsay Lohands in BJSC 57. Oslol are the masters of another song contest in a distant land on the Internet but until now their only win in a BJSC event was with Susanne Sundfør's 'Delirious' in BJFestivalen V, with their best result in the main BJSC being a 3rd place finish with Miss Li's 'Aqualung' in BJSC 93. The song to deliver them main contest glory was dance banger 'Remember' by Gryffin and ZOHARA which proved to be one of the more popular winners of the year, taking home 351 points (the third highest score and second highest by percentage of highest possible score of the year, only behind Built By Titan's 'Broken Love' (feat. Starxs), Niceland's BJSC 104 winner, on the latter ranking) as well as picking up the most 18s of the contest with 7 countries ranking it as their favourite. In all it was Oslol's 3rd top 5 hit and 7th top 10, their second top 10 of the year, though all of those tallies could have been one higher if not for them plummeting from the top 5 to 20th after a deduction back in BJSC 104 with Janice's 'You Only Say You Love Me In The Dark'. It would have also been a first ever semi-final win for Oslol if it weren't for the whole 'not being reliable voters' thing - though it racked up an incredible 165 points in semi-final 2, which would be the joint fourth highest tally in a semi-final ever (excluding the inflated scores of BJSC 100), Oslol were silly ducks and didn't vote in the semi-final, incurring a 33% deduction. They still sailed through in 2nd place even after that dent with a score that could have easily still won if it weren't for there being another extremely popular song in the semi-final...

- ...that being Aelandor's entry 'Gloria' by The Midnight which was promoted to the win in semi-final 2 with an also impressive 142 points, giving Aelandor their first semi-final win instead. But it fell short of giving them a first win in the main contest, coming in 2nd place with 324 points. That 27 point gap between the top 2, which is still pretty small in the grand scheme of things, was the second largest such gap of the whole year, only being beaten by Built By Titan's crushing 94-point victory margin. 'Gloria' was still a solid new peak for Aelandor, being only their second top 10 hit following 5th placed 'Giants' by Lights in BJSC 96. We really wish it had won (twice in the space of 3 contests that our favourite came 2nd dammit) but that's still a good result, and it perhaps should have been expected as The Midnight seem cursed to 2nd place finishes, having finished their in both of their previous BJSC event appearances (Elëdan's BJSC 69 entry 'The Years (Prologue)' and Harmonica's Masquerade I entry (masquerading as Elëdan) 'Jason' (feat. Nikki Flores)). The top 2 were a runaway pair as third place was a full 60 points back on 264 - and that was the host nation Aeroche with their auto-qualifier 'Colonized' by Paula Temple, a harsh techno instrumental that rode those niche points (including from us ofc) to yet another medal for the kings of the contest. With that they matched FSR Rontvia's record 30 top 5 hits, further extended their lead as the nation with the most medal position finishes and picked up a 38th top 10 hit in all and 5th of the year. It was also the second year in a row that they closed the year with back-to-back top 3 hits - and as if to rub it in everyone else's faces, while no other country has followed a top 3 hit with another one on more than two occasions, this is now the eighth time Aeroche have done so (including two occasions where they pulled off the feat twice in a row, first their triple win in BJSCs 46-48 then again in BJSCs 61-63). We're truly not worthy.

- Taahino started the year getting their first top 10 hit (and a top 5 at that) in a contest hosted by Aeroche, and ended the year in similar fashion with Aeroche hosting again, claiming their second top 10 hit and another top 5, although not quite matching the 3rd place they got last time with Hayley Kiyoko's 'Curious'. Stand Atlantic's 'Lavender Bones' finished 4th for them this time around with 259 points. Hendinia, who have usually been one of the most consistently successful nations in the contest since their debut in BJSC 13, were absent from the contest for most of this year but capped off the year with a successful comeback, having three top 15 hits in a row and ending on their first top 10 hit of the year and also a top 5 at that, coming 5th on 250 points with STORME's 'Be My Drummer'. It's their 22nd top 5 and 40th top 10 hit to date.

- FARC and Quintessa continued their runs of major success, ending the year sharing the record for most top 10 hits during the year with 6 each, both achieving that within their last 8 entries. FARC got a 4th top 10 in a row and their 19th in total, finishing 6th with their auto-qualifier 'Favela' by Ina Wroldsen and Alok (meaning they followed narrow 2nd place finishes with low top 10 finishing auto-qualifiers twice in a row), while Quintessa got a 3rd top 10 in a row and their 9th to date with all-star Icelandic collaboration 'Random Haiku Generator' by Sin Fang, Sóley and Örvar Smárason coming 7th. These results also enabled the two nations to finish 3rd and 2nd respectively in the end of year rankings (of course behind Aeroche who led the rankings for a sixth straight year) after never before finishing in a year end top 10. Back to BJSC 110, Daehun came 8th with the English version of 'Punk Right Now' by former Girls' Generation member (ofc) HYO and 3LAU, their second top 10 of the year and 21st top 10 to date in what was a pretty successful month for K-Pop with two other songs from the genre qualifying. Mulgracia hadn't qualified for a BJSC final since coming 34th with Borussia's 'Kinda Love' in BJSC 92, following that contest with 2 DNQs then a lengthy absence before returning in the middle of this year and having another 4 DNQs in a row, but they finally got back in this time and grabbed their 7th top 10 hit while they were at it, coming 9th with Ariana And The Rose's 'Lonely Star'. Completing the top 10 was Dobago with a fairly obscure 7 minute violin-y trance instrumental from 1998, Trevor Reilly's 'Down With The Underground' coming in 10th to give them their second top 10 of the year and 9th to date, of which still only two have come higher than 8th. Not the first time Dobago have beat us at our own game when we both entered instrumental entries -flashbacks to T2Kazuya vs. Øfdream-

- We were back to having no new countries after the excitement of new blood twice in a row before that, but Wholune did manage to qualify for the final for the first time on their third attempt, coming 25th with first qualifier 'Close Your Eyes' by The Midnight Club (not to be confused with The Midnight). Besides Oslol and Aelandor, two other countries also set new peaks. Arcodesia improved on their debut 25th place finish from the previous month to come 11th with pg.lost's 'Terrain' (missing out on a first top 10 on a tiebreak), another post-rock entry doing much better than the genre typically does. Holland-Oats have qualified with 7 of their 10 entries since debuting in BJSC 101 but only one of the previous 6 (barely) avoided the bottom 10, their old best position being 28th out of 37 with Vera Blue's 'Regular Touch' in BJSC 102 and 28th out of 38 with Client Liaison's 'World Of Our Love' in BJSC 105. They set a solid new best this time, coming 19th with 'Suffer' by Petit Biscuit feat. Skott.

- 5 countries made comebacks this month, with 3 of those making it to the final. The most successful was Cumulonimbia who came back from a 2-month absence to come 14th with No_4mat's '1992', which despite missing the top 10 turned out to have actually won semi-final 1, their second semi-final winner following Special Request's 'Amnesia' in BJSC 80 (which remains their most successful entry, coming 4th in the final). It's the joint 5th lowest position a semi-final winner has finished in the final, though well ahead of the absolute lowest (Taahino's BJSC 99 entry 'Still Breathing' by VERIDIA which fell from semi-final 1st to final 26th). Vülkyria, prone to long disappearances, made another comeback after a relatively brief 2 contest break and came 20th with Georgia's 'Started Out'. #00274E were also back after 2 contests away and finished 35th with yetep's 'Gravity' (feat. daisy). Another nation returning after 2 months away, Singerpurear were welcomed back with open arms (especially as they gave us 18 points) but provided a very quintessentially Singerpurear (read: doomed to flop in the semi-final) entry. Finally, Enty were back after 1 month away (to break the pattern) but also DNQed again; 6 of their 7 entries have DNQed and as of yet they're still yet to ever enter two contests in a row, maybe this will be the time. In what seems like a rare occurrence, all the returnees voted in the final, but there will still be a handful of nations banned from BJSC 111 as sadly Beaverdonia, Bhangra, Frandoot and Utopia failed to submit final votes. Poor hens missing out on potentially legendarily messy Oslol hosting. (Nah, we're sure it'll be fine xx)

- The question of who would win BJSC 110's wooden spoon was very clearly answered as Land of DW finished a very distant 38th out of 38, with poor brave Persephonian alumni Run The Jewels getting just 47 points with 'Mean Demeanor', a new low for a song in a final since the 18 point system was re-introduced in BJSC 74 (excluding Medhelnia's BJSC 90 entry 'Surfboard Fire' by Blitz//Berlin which got 45 points but only after a 30% deduction). Only 6 countries gave it points, also a low in this era, the lowest since FARC's ill-fated BJSC 65 auto-qualifier 'Lullaby' by Luha got only 5 voters; the last song to get 6 or fewer votes after actually making it through a semi-final was Ingermanlandia's BJSC 61 entry 'Stand Still' by Flight Facilities feat. Micky Green. Hey, a record is a record and our RTJ entry will do better cos it's a better song. In fairness, it wasn't helped by the fact Utopia didn't vote in the final, as they gave the song 12 points in the semi-final, without which it would not have qualified. Two other songs failed to cross the 100 point mark in the final: Jupiterdonia came 37th with 70 points with Tomasa Del Real's 'Barre Con El Pelo' (feat. DJ Blass), well ahead of last but well behind 36th placed République d'Ashton who got 92 points with Namika's 'Je Ne Parle Pas Français'.

- Other noteworthy results: Florina's entry 'Murder' by vverevvolf, co-produced by DANCE WITH THE DEAD as mentioned earlier, finished 12th, the best result of their 2018 comeback and their highest finish since FRENSHIP's '1000 Nights' came 8th in BJSC 90; Jadakissnia came in 18th with Badshah and Sunanda Sharma's 'Tere Naal Nachna', significant because not only is it the first time our allied nations have finished next to each other in a BJSC final, it even went down to a very close tiebreak as we tied on points, votes, 18s and 15s with raaginder prevailing on having one more 13 (the nsyncness *.*); Bøtanikkä's 100th anniversary entry (reported to be their last before at least taking a break from the contest), the appropriately titled '100' by Vini Vici and Timmy Trumpet feat. Symphonic, landed in 26th place; St. Burbia came 27th with Connie Francis' 'You're Gonna Miss Me' which breaks what may or may not be the record they set themselves at the start of the year for the oldest recording to qualify for a BJSC final (this one is from 1958, even older than Irma Thomas' 1964 cut 'Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)' which they sent to BJSC 101).

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 110

Final

Points awarded:
18 Aelandor // The Midnight - Gloria
15 Aeroche // Paula Temple - Colonized
13 Skall // Animal Collective - Banshee Beat

12 Arcodesia // pg.lost - Terrain
11 Tartford // Craig Armstrong - This Love (feat. Elizabeth Fraser)
10 Cumulonimbia // No_4mat - 1992
9 FSR Rontvia // Tic Tac Toe - Warum? (Out Of Space Mix)
8 Quintessa // Sin Fang, Sóley and Örvar Smárason - Random Haiku Generator
7 Jadakissnia // Badshah and Sunanda Sharma - Tere Naal Nachna
6 Florina // vverevvolf - Murder

5 Unovia // Salmo - 90MIN
4 Séyetana // Moe Shop, Jamie Paige and Shiki - Love Taste
3 Cadelicia // Simmy - Ngiyesaba
2 Jupiterdonia // Tomasa Del Real - Barre Con El Pelo (feat. DJ Blass)
1 Holland-Oats // Petit Biscuit - Suffer (feat. Skott)

16th-37th:
Dobago // Trevor Reilly - Down With The Underground
Thelonia // Ekali - Crystal Eyes
Bøtanikkä // Vini Vici and Timmy Trumpet - 100 (feat. Symphonic)
Oslol // Gryffin and ZOHARA - Remember
Republic of Adonia // fromis_9 - LOVE BOMB
Harmonica // HOLYCHILD - Wishing You Away
Hendinia // STORME - Be My Drummer
Land of DW // Run The Jewels - Mean Demeanor
Taahino // Stand Atlantic - Lavender Bones
Vülkyria // Georgia - Started Out
Cor Lupus // Just Kiddin - Hysteria
Mulgracia // Ariana And The Rose - Lonely Star
FARC // Ina Wroldsen and Alok - Favela
Wholune // The Midnight Club - Close Your Eyes
République d'Ashton // Namika - Je Ne Parle Pas Français
New Lexico // Ventino - Si Decides (Baby)
#00274E // yetep - Gravity (feat. daisy)
Summericia // In Strict Confidence - Morpheus
Daehun // HYO and 3LAU - Punk Right Now (English Version)
St. Burbia // Connie Francis - You're Gonna Miss Me
Altyr Muunilinst // Maoni - Love Song (feat. Raphaella)
Aesthetica // JENNIE - SOLO

~

Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:
12 Aelandor // The Midnight - Gloria
10 Arcodesia // pg.lost - Terrain
8 Trifoski // Jack Stauber's Micropop - Inchman

7 Utopia // Liela Moss - Memories And Faces
6 Jadakissnia // Badshah and Sunanda Sharma - Tere Naal Nachna
5 Jupiterdonia // Tomasa Del Real - Barre Con El Pelo (feat. DJ Blass)
4 Unovia // Salmo - 90MIN
3 Holland-Oats // Petit Biscuit - Suffer (feat. Skott)
2 Flynnonda // Mikhail Catan - Heart And Soul
1 Land of DW // Run The Jewels - Mean Demeanor

11th-27th:
Dobago // Trevor Reilly - Down With The Underground
South Danaelanda // Yolanda Be Cool - Afro Nuts (DCUP Remix)
Bøtanikkä // Vini Vici and Timmy Trumpet - 100 (feat. Symphonic)
Hendinia // STORME - Be My Drummer
Republic of Adonia // fromis_9 - LOVE BOMB
New Lexico // Ventino - Si Decides (Baby)
Summericia // In Strict Confidence - Morpheus
Enty // XOV - WILD
Singerpurear // The 5th Dimension - Save The Country
#00274E // yetep - Gravity (feat. daisy)
St. Burbia // Connie Francis - You're Gonna Miss Me
Wholune // The Midnight Club - Close Your Eyes
Espen // Natavan Həbibi - Qısqana Qısqana
Ojnoj // Emily Burns - Cheat
Frandoot // Folly Rae - You Don't Love Me
Suedeonia // The Motels - Whose Problem?

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 1 DNQs

5th Terra Avium // Goblin - Suspiria
9th Beaverdonia // White Hinterland - Ring The Bell

11th Cowtermont // GFOTY - Tongue
14th Tinnmark // Victor Leksell - Tappat
16th Niceland // Sotiria and Unheilig - Hallo Leben
19th Rolloland // Lady & Bird and Iceland Symphony Orchestra - Ghost From The Past
21st East Rukahavian // Reykon - Domingo (feat. Cosculluela)
24th Bhangra // Glowie - Body
25th Lotunia // DAOKO - Haikei-Goodbye-Sayonara
28th Ultraviolenceland // Ima Sobé - Everything To Nothing

+Quote this post
Brer
post 13th December 2018, 11:47 PM
Post #291
Group icon

With that out of the way drama.gif

Go vote for all our entries in The Best of BJSC XI xx We have 8 eligible entries there - IC3PEAK's 'Grustnaya Suka' from BJSC 101, Mikael Seifu's 'Yarada Lij' from BJSC 103, Set And Setting's 'Coping' from BJSC 104, A Tribe Called Red's 'Sisters' (feat. Northern Voice) from BJSC 105, J.I.D's 'NEVER' from BJSC 106, μ-Ziq's 'Hasty Boom Alert' from BJSC 107, Skee Mask's 'Via Sub Mids' from BJSC 108 and raaginder's 'Rise' from BJSC 110. Of course most of those have pretty much zero chance of making it through but it'd be nice to squeeze in one ('Sisters' to somehow keep up our run of qualifying to the semi-finals of TBO with all of our top 10 hits pls xx)

Will also try and put together a 2018 EOY list at some point (I see no one else seems to be doing one of those this year yet ~)

+Quote this post
Leonardo
post 14th December 2018, 12:43 AM
Post #292
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,502

Yay, glad you updated these! Always an interesting read, can always count on you for some great stats wub.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 18th January 2019, 11:07 PM
Post #293
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 18/01/2019

The Best of BJSC XI summary

For the eleventh instalment of the annual TBO retrospective, Persephonia managed to make it through to the semi-finals with one of our 8 eligible entries - and it wasn't the one we expected to have a chance, as we unfortunately lost our run of always making it to at least the semi-finals of TBO with all of our top 10 hits </3 RIP 'Sisters'. It was instead our BJSC 107 19th place finisher 'Hasty Boom Alert' by µ-Ziq which advanced to carry the Persephonian flag (2 years in a row that our song from the 7th contest of the year qualified despite falling well short of the top 10 in its original contest).

'Hasty Boom Alert' was drawn as song 29 of 40 in semi-final 1. One other song with a Persephonian alumnus artist on it also made the semi-finals - over in semi-final 2, song 8 was Terra Avium's BJSC 106 entry 'Langage' by Moodoïd and former Persephonian representatives WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA, which finished 17th in its original contest. Understandably given the low original finishes, both of these songs failed to make the final (meaning Persephonia went without a song in the TBO final for a third year in a row, this racism!!1) - we were waiting to find out the semi-final results before posting this bulletin update but Daehun still seem to have not yet returned from their dog walk and we don't want to get behind in this thread again so we'll just edit that in when it's eventually posted magic.gif (edit: doesn't look like it's ever being announced, boo xx)

The winner of the contest was BJSC 106's runner-up for Cowtermont, the CYA remix of 'This Wild Darkness' by Moby, which breezed to victory with 156 points. Cowtermont remain yet to win one of the main contests but this was a good bit of revenge for them as they beat the song that pipped Moby to the win to begin with - but that song, Jean Michel-Blais and CFCF's 'Hypocrite' representing Fljótavík, didn't do badly for itself in the end-of-year contest either as it was the highest ranked winner in 5th place with 98 points. BJSC 106 accounted for 60% of the whole top 5 as Niceland's entry from that contest, Hooverphonic's 'Romantic', proved to be a dark horse and come 4th with 114 points despite only coming 6th in the original contest. The top 3 of TBO was completed by Trifoski's BJSC 101 4th placer 'Ghost Voices' by Virtual Self, which claimed the silver medal with 127 points, while 3rd place on 123 points went to FSR Rontvia's BJSC 103 entry, a live version of Freya Ridings' 'Lost Without You' which lost out on a win in its original contest on a tiebreak (and of course the song in its studio version would go on to be a big hit in the UK singles chart).

Full Persephonian rankings and nominations for The Best of BJSC XI

Final

Points awarded:
15 Aelandor // The Midnight - Gloria
13 Fljótavík // Jean-Michel Blais and CFCF - Hypocrite

12 Quintessa // Wings Of The ISANG - Dark Sea
11 Aeroche // Paula Temple - Colonized
10 Jadakissnia // goreshit - the nature of dying
9 Unovia // Badflower - Ghost
8 Land of DW // The Interrupters - She's Kerosene
7 Quintessa // Mónica Naranjo - Europa
6 FSR Rontvia // Freya Ridings - Lost Without You (Live)

5 Land of DW // grandson - thoughts & prayers
4 Cor Lupus // Andromedik - Your Eyes
3 Tartford // Mylo - Need You Tonite
2 Summericia // † CΛIN † - SVICIƉΣ GIRLS ƉɅNCΣ
1 Tinnmark // Eric Prydz - Opus

16th-40th:
Fljótavík // Rex The Dog - Maximize
Tartford // Ofra Haza - Im Nin'Alu (Played In Full Mix)
Cowtermont // Moby - This Wild Darkness (CYA Remix)
Alteria // The Presets - 14U+14ME
Quintessa // The Wandering Hearts - Devil
Rolloland // Propaganda - Das Testaments Des Mabuse: The Third Side
South Danaelanda // Dimension - Black Church
Taahino // Hayley Kiyoko - Curious
Trifoski // Virtual Self - Ghost Voices
Niceland // Built By Titan - Broken Love (feat. Starxs)
New Lexico // Metroplane - Word Of Mouth (feat. Bree Runway)
Trifoski // LPX - Slide
Singerpurear // Ria Mae - Bend
Hushkanukia // Arrhult - 1999
Land of DW // Betta Lemme - Bambola
Ojnoj // Kim Petras - Heart To Break

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
15 Quintessa // Wings Of The ISANG - Dark Sea
13 Aeroche // Paula Temple - Colonized

12 Land of DW // Keys N Krates - U Already Know
11 Jadakissnia // K Á R Y Y N - BINARY
10 Quintessa // Mónica Naranjo - Europa
9 Land of DW // grandson - thoughts & prayers
8 Cor Lupus // Andromedik - Your Eyes
7 Tinnmark // Eric Prydz - Opus
6 Tartford // Ofra Haza - Im Nin'Alu (Played In Full Mix)

5 République d'Ashton // Alvaro Soler - Sofia
4 Fljótavík // Rex The Dog - Maximize
3 FSR Rontvia // Millie Turner - The Shadow
2 Rolloland // Propaganda - Das Testaments Des Mabuse: The Third Side
1 Unovia // Salmo - 90MIN

16th-39th:
Unovia // Big Fish - Vain (feat. Elisa)
Terra Avium // Aly & Fila - Quiet Storm (Aly & Fila Club Mix) (feat. Sue McLaren)
Unovia // Amy Shark - Adore
Taahino // Stand Atlantic - Lavender Bones
Cadelicia // KSHMR and Marnik - SHIVA (feat. The Golden Army)
Thelonia // Fourward - Hope
Cor Lupus // Jorn Van Deynhoven - Rising High
New Lexico // Metroplane - Word Of Mouth (feat. Bree Runway)
Harmonica // American Authors - Deep Water
Trifoski // LPX - Slide
Oslol // Kelli-Leigh - Do You Wanna Be Loved Like This?
Summericia // Cathedrals - Try To Fight
FARC // Miriam Bryant - Black Car
Hushkanukia // Arrhult - 1999
Singerpurear // Ria Mae - Bend
Oslol // Janice - You Only Say You Love Me In The Dark
South Danaelanda // Andrew Rayel - Horizon (feat. Lola Blanc)
Daehun // SUNMI - Siren

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:
18 Deandria // Linea Aspera - Malarone
15 Aelandor // The Midnight - Gloria
13 Fljótavík // Jean-Michel Blais and CFCF - Hypocrite

12 Jadakissnia // goreshit - the nature of dying
11 Tinnmark // EMIR - Faller
10 Terra Avium // Moodoïd and WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA - Langage
9 FSR Rontvia // Freya Ridings - Lost Without You (Live)
8 Unovia // Badflower - Ghost
7 Land of DW // The Interrupters - She's Kerosene
6 Quintessa // Sin Fang, Sóley and Örvar Smárason - Random Haiku Generator

5 Tartford // Mylo - Need You Tonite
4 Quintessa // nervous_testpilot - Deeper
3 Aesthetica // The Pom-Poms - I GOT THAT BOOM
2 Summericia // † CΛIN † - SVICIƉΣ GIRLS ƉɅNCΣ
1 Quintessa // The Wandering Hearts - Devil

16th-40th:
Cowtermont // Moby - This Wild Darkness (CYA Remix)
Cowtermont // NWYR - Ends Of Time
Alteria // The Presets - 14U+14ME
Thelonia // ilan Bluestone and Maor Levi - Will We Remain? (feat. EL Waves)
Jadakissnia // Vendredi Sur Mer - Larme À Gauche
South Danaelanda // Dimension - Black Church
Trifoski // Virtual Self - Ghost Voices
Taahino // Hayley Kiyoko - Curious
Desbuanda // FAUX - Take Back Time
New Lexico // Alice Merton - Lash Out
Niceland // Built By Titan - Broken Love (feat. Starxs)
St. Burbia // L Devine - Like You Like That
Séyetana // Beyond The Black - Night Will Fade
Aeroche // Camden Cox - Gold
Cor Lupus // Samantha Urbani - Hints & Implications
Hendinia // Slayyyter - I'm High
Daehun // HYO and 3LAU - Punk Right Now (English Version)
Land of DW // Betta Lemme - Bambola
Ramrynia // Asmik Shiroyan - You & I
Ojnoj // Kim Petras - Heart To Break

DNQed

~

Nominations

+7 Aeroche // CANVAS - Another Time (Boeoes Kaelstigen's S. Jähn Remix) (feat. Andrew Montgomery)
+5 Jadakissnia // K Á R Y Y N - BINARY
+3 Aelandor // How To Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion
+2 Desbuanda // Est-Her - Sympathy
+1 Lotunia // Hoàng Thùy Linh - Bánh Trôi Nước (feat. Triple D)

+7 Jadakissnia // goreshit - the nature of dying
+5 Tinnmark // EMIR - Faller
+3 Kluminican Republic // Gang Of Youths - The Deepest Sighs, The Frankest Shadows
+2 Taahino // PVRIS - No Mercy
+1 Summericia // † CΛIN † - SVICIƉΣ GIRLS ƉɅNCΣ

+7 Deandria // Linea Aspera - Malarone
+5 FSR Rontvia // Freya Ridings - Lost Without You (Live)
+3 Trifoski // Algiers - The Underside Of Power
+2 Dobago // Mark Eliyahu - Journey
+1 Quintessa // Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir 4 - Fly To Paradise

+7 Bhangra // Molly Sterling - Plain Static
+5 Aelandor // Kiasmos - Looped
+3 Jadakissnia // Adam F - Circles
+2 Mosquetania // The Brocks - My Love
+1 Cowtermont // NWYR - Ends Of Time

+7 Utopia // DJ Koze - Pick Up
+5 Rolloland // Anathema - The Storm Before The Calm
+3 Unovia // Aja - Brujería (feat. DJ Mitch Ferrino)
+2 Cor Lupus // Andromedik - Your Eyes
+1 Quintessa // The Wandering Hearts - Devil

+7 Aelandor // SONOIO - Enough
+5 Terra Avium // Moodoïd and WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA - Langage
+3 Land of DW // Keys N Krates - U Already Know
+2 Jadakissnia // Claptone - Birdsong (feat. Zola Blood)
+1 Cowtermont // Moby - This Wild Darkness (CYA Remix)

+7 Fljótavík // Danger - 11h30
+5 Unovia // Badflower - Ghost
+3 #00274E // Rival Consoles - Hidden
+2 Trifoski // Iglooghost - Clear Tamei
+1 Espen // Nouvelle Phénomène - Cruel Game (Vanzetti & Sacco Remix)

+7 Jadakissnia // Somnium - Sinking
+5 Terra Avium // We Are All Astronauts - Ether
+3 Kluminican Republic // Cosmo Sheldrake - Wriggle
+2 D'yermak'er // Jasmine Sandlas - Sip Sip (feat. Intense)
+1 Land of DW // The Interrupters - She's Kerosene

+7 Quintessa // Wings Of The ISANG - Dark Sea
+5 Jadakissnia // Ben Frost - Venter
+3 Lotunia // Laibach - Vor Sonnen-Aufgang
+2 Espen // NIMMO - Orange Skies
+1 Séyetana // Temperance - The Last Hope In A World Of Hopes

+7 Aelandor // The Midnight - Gloria
+5 Aeroche // Paula Temple - Colonized
+3 Skall // Animal Collective - Banshee Beat
+2 Arcodesia // pg.lost - Terrain
+1 Tartford // Craig Armstrong - This Love (feat. Elizabeth Fraser)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 18th January 2019, 11:19 PM
Post #294
Group icon

In other news nominations for The Best of BJSC - The Rejects XI are still open at the moment (just about x) so y'all should all go quickly nominate our two eligible entries for that (ROSALÍA's 'Catalina' from BJSC 102 and Ash Koosha's 'Aroha' from BJSC 109) x

And also a new main contest is underway (the first for which Persephonia has officially joined the team of moderating nations alongside République d'Ashton, Daehun, Aeroche, Taahino and New Lexico ohmy.gif we see all of your entries x) ~

BJSC 111

you are a great thing for me

+Quote this post
Brer
post 20th January 2019, 11:59 PM
Post #295
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 20/01/2019

In The Loop hoping to bring great things to Persephonia in BJSC 111

BJSC 111 has begun in Oslol and for the first time in a while PNB is here to announce our entry on time ~ our 90th main contest entry to date (one year to go until the big anniversary ohmy.gif) comes from Italian duo In The Loop, consisting of singer Valentina Schiavo and singer/instrumentalist Alessandri Galdieri. The first Italian act we've sent to the contest to date (bringing our number of unique main contest nationalities up to 21), they're best known for an appearance on the 2018 12th series of the Italian version of The X Factor, where they were eliminated in the bootcamp stage (an Italian talent show reject with female vocals, who are we, Unovia?) The song they auditioned with, which has since been released as their first official single and now represents us in the BJSC, is 'Tu Sì 'Na Cosa Grande', a cover of the 1964 song by legendary Neapolitan folk singer Domenico Modugno who represented Italy in the Eurovision Song Contest three times (with his 1958 third place finisher 'Nel Blu, Dipinto Di Blu', perhaps better known as 'Volare', going on to become a major worldwide hit single including reaching #1 in the USA and #10 in the UK).

In The Loop do not have any original material to their names as of yet as far as we can tell but although this is their only song released commercially, their YouTube channel is full of (heavily reworked) covers, mostly of English language songs. But because we're Persephonia our clear highlights are the couple that are not in English - this song is actually technically not in Italian but rather the Neapolitan language which is similar but not completely mutually intelligible (fun fact: it's the same language as 'Tu Vuò Fà L'Americano', of 'We No Speak Americano' fame). Another of their covers, 'Una Giornata Uggiosa' (which is in actual Italian) is our other fave of theirs and is simultaneous representing us in the PopJustice Song Contest right now. 'Tu Sì 'Na Cosa Grande' becomes our 15th foreign language entry to date in 13 different languages (including the gibberish language of Ash Koosha's 'Aroha' cos why not), kicking 2019 off strong on our continuing crusade against the English language; it's our 5th straight entry with no English language words in it.

The song, which was originally a fairly dry folk ballad (whose title translates to 'You Are A Great Thing For Me'), has been transformed by In The Loop into something much better, with Valentina delivering a beautiful vocal performance (including some great harmonies when Alessandri joins in) over an instrumental that ranges throughout from simple bleeps and bloops to a much fuller and more ~grandiose~ sound, with a bit of quirky glitchiness halfway through for good measure (sounds like an accordion synth?) because this is still Persephonia and we're not just going to send a completely normal poppy ballad. We're dubbing this the Italian answer to ROSALÍA's 'Catalina' from our entries last year, as it's similarly updating a very old song to a much more palatable and modern sound. Let's hope this one does a bit better than that. See the official video below (and you can see their X Factor audition version here).

'Tu Sì 'Na Cosa Grande' has been drawn in slot 20 of 29 in semi-final 1.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 6th April 2019, 08:24 PM
Post #296
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 06/04/2019
2019 catchup edition [1/3]

In The Loop keep us in the final

We started off 2019 the same way we started every year since 2013, safely making it to the final of BJSC 111 with In The Loop's 'Tu Sì 'Na Cosa Grande' to reach our 68th BJSC final and 2nd in a row (thankfully being announced through before the hosts in Oslol lost their mind and started announcing a bunch of songs through which actually didn't make it x). The longest qualifier streaks remained in the hands of Aeroche and Cor Lupus who both sailed into their 25th finals in a row each, while St. Burbia held in third place on the list going into their 12th consecutive final. 'Tu Sì 'Na Cosa Grande' was drawn in the 18th slot out of 37 in the final. (Foreshadowing ohmy.gif)

Unfortunately, while we had no issues qualifying ourselves, it was a different story for our biggest favourites as the songs ranked 1st in both semi-finals by the Persephonian voting public both fell well short of the final. Our 12 pointer in semi-final 1, Aelandor's entry 'Burn' by The Soft Moon, somehow finished in the bottom 3 as we turned out to be its only big fan in the semi-final, providing nearly half of its points (y'all severely sleeping on it). We also lost another of our medal positions in our semi-final, our 8 pointer from Jadakissnia, the afro-bop 'Midnight Starring' by a cast of thousands (DJ Maphorisa, RudeBoyz and Distruction Boyz feat. DJ Tira, Busiswa and Moonchild Sanelly), and one further song that made our votes, Wholune's I DONT KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME with 'Do It All The Time' which we gave 2 points. The winner of the semi-final 2 unofficial straw poll of Persephonians was Land of DW's entry 'Crimen Sollicitationis' by Ska-P which similarly came 4th from last over there, while three other songs we ranked in the top 10 of semi-final 2 also DNQed in the end (5th placed Séyetana with Japanese Breakfast's 'Boyish', 8th placed Terra Avium with Epic Soul Factory's 'Everdream' and 10th placed Flynnonda with kwassa's 'Moonwalking' which heartbreakingly lost out on a tiebreak). That was despite Séyetana and Flynnonda both being briefly announced as qualifiers before having their heart ripped out. Oslol hosting, what did we expect?? x

BJSC 111 summary

- Performing 18th in the final was a good omen as our eventual final position in BJSC 111 was... 18th out of 37! This allowed us to finally cross off a much desired unique position after previously missing it by one place eleven times (coming 17th 6 times, most recently in just the previous contest, and 19th 5 times). It also took us to a nice round 40 top 20 hits to date, with the only top 20 positions we're now yet to achieve being 7th, 8th, 9th and 11th (and only 27th and 30th also missing from the top 30). In The Loop picked up a total of 169 points from 25 voters, largely a case of picking up plenty of low points as the song ranked in the medal positions for only one country, though that one country made it count as it was a full 18 points from Quintessa, with our next biggest fans being St. Burbia who awarded the song 12 points. All in all it was a very similar start to the year as we managed in 2018, with our BJSC 101 entry 'Grustnaya Suka' by IC3PEAK landing in 17th place with 180 points. Due to some ~mod meddling~ to ensure the results were accurate we found out our semi-final result before the final started this time but it was later revealed publicly that we came 7th out of 29 in semi-final 1 with 81 points, setting us up for a projected 11th place finish.

- rest of summary to be added later once I'm done with the Songs of BJSC thread x

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 111

Final

Points awarded:
18 Espen // Sho Madjozi - Huku
15 Alteria // De Staat - KITTY KITTY
13 Oslol // Vulfpeck - Darwin Derby (feat. Antwaun Stanley)

12 Cowtermont // Ferdinand Dreyssig and Marvin Hey - Coeur De La Nuit (Worakls Remix)
11 Elëdan // Shortparis - Strashno
10 Medhelnia // Shygirl - O
9 Pupok // Capital Bra - Roli Glitzer Glitzer (feat. Luciano and Eno)
8 Fljótavík // Icarus - Man Of The Land (feat. Real Lies)
7 FARC // White Lies - Tokyo
6 Buzzjack Mountain // Talk Talk - Talk Talk

5 Thelonia // Le Boom - Coma
4 Rolloland // Jem - You Will Make It (feat. Vusi Mahlasela)
3 Kluminican Republic // Bomba Estéreo - Química (Dance With Me) (feat. Balkan Beat Box)
2 Lotunia // Anna Von Hausswolff - The Mysterious Vanishing Of Electra
1 Skall // Requin Chagrin - Sémaphore

16th-36th:
Aeroche // Tommy Trash - Me & U (feat. Anna Lunoe)
Harmonica // Holy Ghost! - Dance A Little Closer
Bøtanikkä // Sam Perry - Looking For Light (Live)
Unovia // Kota Banks - Child
Danæviia // Headhunterz and Sound Rush - Rescue Me (feat. Eurielle)
Florina // Emily Burns - Damn Good Liar
#00274E // EVA - Touch Me
Dobago // TEPR - Taste Of Love (feat. D. Woods)
Cor Lupus // REYNA - Heartbeat
Quintessa // Doğukan Manço - Yüzleşme (feat. Funda)
Jupiterdonia // Nadia Ali - Fantasy (Tritonal Air Up There Remix)
Holland-Oats // Elk Road and JES - Ghost
Taahino // King No-One - Lemonade
St. Burbia // ASHS - More Than Friends
Cadelicia // Paperwhite - Count On You
Ultraviolenceland // SHAED - Trampoline
Niceland // DHARIA - Sugar & Brownies
Altyr Muunilinst // Vök - Erase You
FSR Rontvia // Lichtblick - Feuerregen
Tinnmark // Emma Steinbakken - Not Gonna Cry
New Lexico // Genesis Lynea - Get Down

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
12 Aelandor // The Soft Moon - Burn
10 Espen // Sho Madjozi - Huku
8 Jadakissnia // DJ Maphorisa, RudeBoyz and Distruction Boyz - Midnight Starring (feat. DJ Tira, Busiswa and Moonchild Sanelly)

7 Elëdan // Shortparis - Strashno
6 Pupok // Capital Bra - Roli Glitzer Glitzer (feat. Luciano and Eno)
5 FARC // White Lies - Tokyo
4 Kluminican Republic // Bomba Estéreo - Química (Dance With Me) (feat. Balkan Beat Box)
3 Rolloland // Jem - You Will Make It (feat. Vusi Mahlasela)
2 Wholune // I DONT KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME - Do It All The Time
1 Harmonica // Holy Ghost! - Dance A Little Closer

11th-28th:
Bøtanikkä // Sam Perry - Looking For Light (Live)
Suedeonia // Sparks - (Baby, Baby) Can I Invade Your Country
Unovia // Kota Banks - Child
Florina // Emily Burns - Damn Good Liar
Singerpurear // The O'My's - Idea (feat. Chance The Rapper)
Dobago // TEPR - Taste Of Love (feat. D. Woods)
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Oscar Enestad - Sign Of My Love
East Rukahavian // Kasmir - Valoo
Quintessa // Doğukan Manço - Yüzleşme (feat. Funda)
Arcodesia // Drowners - Cruel Ways
République d'Ashton // Zazoo - Spinnin' Round (Wap Bap)
Vülkyria // Missy Modell - Galaxy
Cadelicia // Paperwhite - Count On You
St. Burbia // ASHS - More Than Friends
Altyr Muunilinst // Vök - Erase You
Ultraviolenceland // SHAED - Trampoline
FSR Rontvia // Lichtblick - Feuerregen
Tartford // Grace Jones - Nipple To The Bottle

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2 DNQs

1st Land of DW // Ska-P - Crimen Sollicitationis
5th Séyetana // Japanese Breakfast - Boyish
8th Terra Avium // Epic Soul Factory - Everdream
10th Flynnonda // kwassa - Moonwalking

15th Ojnoj // Jillian Jacqueline - Priorities
16th Daehun // INFINITE - Be Mine
20th Trifoski // The Magnetic Fields - 100,000 Fireflies
21st Ramrynia // Now United - Who Would Think That Love?
23rd Aesthetica // NeonPunch - MOONLIGHT
25th Yehesi // Kris Kross Amsterdam, Maan and Tabitha - Hij Is Van Mij (feat. Bizzey)
27th Hendinia // ILIRA - GET OFF MY D!CK

+Quote this post
Brer
post 6th April 2019, 08:25 PM
Post #297
Group icon

2019 catchup edition [2/3]

BJSC 112

yeah, who are you?

Rico Nasty raises the roof (of floppage x) in BJSC 112

FARC passed on the hosting rights for BJSC 112 following their landslide win in the first contest of the year, leaving the contest in the hands of Cowtermont who were the highest finishing nation to have not hosted before (coming 7th). Our entry to Cowtermont's contest, our 91st main contest entry to date, was 'Roof' by raspy-voiced New York-via-Maryland rapper Maria-Cecilia Simone Kelly aka Rico Nasty. This was our 29th main contest entry by an American act and 34th including spinoffs, the latter total now matching the number of entries we've sent to main contests and spinoffs combined by mainly UK acts. The song, dropped in late January, is currently still a non-album single but may or may not be included on a forthcoming album/mixtape apparently set to be released this month.

At just 2 minutes and 35 seconds, the short but punchy track produced by rising star Kenny Beats was our second shortest entry ever to the main contest, only 9 seconds longer than Vampire Weekend's 'Cousins' which represented us all the way back in BJSC 23. It provided our obligatory annual (since 2015) 'pure' hip-hop entry a little earlier in the year than the last couple and was our first female hip-hop entry since Angel Haze's iconic Rejects winner 'New York' in BJSC 47, although entries by WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA and IC3PEAK since then have also featured rapped vocals by women. It also saw us return to English language vocals after 5 entries in a row that were either instrumental or in other languages (our last English entry before this being the last obligatory annual hip-hop entry, 'NEVER' by J.I.D in BJSC 106). The very futuristic and generally *.* music video (which couldn't be played on plug.dj, racism) is linked below.

'Roof' was drawn in slot 19 of 28 in semi-final 2. On the (roughly) one year anniversary of our unceremonious DNQ with ROSALÍA's 'Catalina' in BJSC 102, she made a second appearance in the contest (fairly lucky to escape being vetoed at this stage x) and instantly did better by default as her new entry, a live cover of 'Me Quedo Contigo' by Los Chunguitos, was representing Elëdan who had the opportunity to auto-qualify if there were an even number of entrants, and so it came to pass as there were 58 entries. Hooray!

We floppedT

We had pretty low expectations for Rico Nasty which weren't helped by being drawn in a semi-final with nearly none of the countries who we thought would like her song so it was no surprise that she delivered our 23rd DNQ to date, stopping our qualification streak at just 2. In fact we ended up coming very close to collecting our 3rd wooden spoon in a semi-final (5th overall including 2 in finals) as we finished 27th out of 28 in the semi-final with just 16 points, only one more than last place. Oops xx Positionally this was our joint 2nd worst ever result - it nominally beat the 28th place in the semi-final Achillea's 'Ragnarok - Twilight Of The Gods' got in BJSC 93 but that was 'only' third from last in the semi, our last bottom 2 finish in a semi-final goes all the way back to Kadie Elder's 'Simple Guy' in BJSC 54, with our most recent last-place finish being The 2 Bears' poor underrated 'Bear Hug' in BJSC 36. 'Bear Hug' was also our last song to get fewer points in a semi-final with only 12 points, with only two others getting lower (8 points for Envy's 'Set Yourself On Fire' in BJSC 20 and 11 points after a 33% deduction for SBTRKT's 'Wildfire' (feat. Little Dragon) in BJSC 35). The lion's share of the points for 'Roof' came from Republic of Adonia who gave it 10 points, yay! Thanks to them and the four others who threw us mealworm points (3 points from Thelonia and 1 point each from Deandria, FARC and PRoJ). Let's just gloss over this one, as much of a banger as it still is x Back in the world of countries that did qualify, it was business as usual for the longest qualification streaks, Aeroche and Cor Lupus progressing to their 26th straight finals and St. Burbia to their 13th as their closest competitor.

Out of our votes in semi-final 2, two others joined us in being unceremoniously dumped out of the final, comeback entries from Hushkanukia (Molly Sterling's 'Feeble') and PRoJ (Only Shadows' 'At The Door Knocking') which got our 7 and 1 pointers respectively. There were more losses in semi-final 1 where four of the Persephonian public's 10 faves fell short; 4th placed Niceland with Cavetown's 'Green', 7th placed #00274E with surprise DNQ 'Shake Something' by Louis The Child feat. Joey Purp, 8th placed Florina with E.PARKER's 'Girl' and 9th placed Arcodesia with 'Satan It's You' by Jett Screams (not Satan x).

BJSC 112 summary

- to be added later once I'm done with the Songs of BJSC thread x

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 112

Final

Points awarded:
18 Republic of Adonia // KOTO - Tiger Fire Cyber Fighter
15 Jupiterdonia // FEVER 333 - ONE OF US
13 Cowtermont // Amelie Lens - Never The Same

12 Kluminican Republic // Sleeping At Last - Saturn
11 Elëdan // ROSALÍA - Me Quedo Contigo
10 Skall // Fort Romeau - Secrets & Lies
9 Terra Avium // La Phaze - Avoir 20 Ans
8 Aeroche // Skeler and Juche - Proxima
7 Flynnonda // VUKOVI - C.L.A.U.D.I.A
6 FARC // Rein - Electric

5 Jadakissnia // Pharao - I Show You Secrets
4 Cumulonimbia // Joe Smooth - Promised Land (feat. Anthony Thomas)
3 Aelandor // BT - Skylarking
2 Fljótavík // Sauvage - Wolves
1 Thelonia // Everyone You Know - Dance Like We Used To

16th-39th:
Trifoski // Golden Boy and Miss Kittin - Rippin Kittin
Aesthetica // LOOΠΔ - Butterfly
Ambienta // Boards Of Canada - 1969
Oslol // Eliza And The Bear - Winter In New York
Espen // DJ Maphorisa and DJ Raybel - iWalk Ye Phara (feat. Moonchild Sanelly, K.O and Zulu Mkhathini)
Wholune // HMLTD - Proxy Love
Lotunia // Pillar Point - Dove
FSR Rontvia // Wim Mertens - Close Cover
Rolloland // The Aloof - One Night Stand (The Long Night And The Samba) (Ashley Beedle Remix)
Beaverdonia // Oh Wonder - All We Do
Deandria // Tikkle Me - Genius
Harmonica // G Flip - Killing My Time
Dobago // KAZKA - PLAKALA
Bøtanikkä // Ilkay Sencan - Do It
Cor Lupus // Parker Bossley - Lifted
Quintessa // Cat Pierce - You Belong To Me
East Rukahavian // Jenni Vartiainen - Made In Heaven
Singerpurear // The Ritchie Family - American Generation
Danæviia // Alex M.O.R.P.H. - Running For Peace
Altyr Muunilinst // Alice Chater - Thief
Daehun // Vesala - Uusia Unelmia
Tinnmark // Rat City - Kind Of Love (feat. Isak Heim)
Vülkyria // Tom Ferry and Lisa Ajax - Off My Mind
St. Burbia // HUGEL - WTF (feat. Amber Van Day)

~

Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:
12 Republic of Adonia // KOTO - Tiger Fire Cyber Fighter
10 Kluminican Republic // Sleeping At Last - Saturn
8 Jupiterdonia // FEVER 333 - ONE OF US

7 Hushkanukia // Molly Sterling - Feeble
6 Terra Avium // La Phaze - Avoir 20 Ans
5 Flynnonda // VUKOVI - C.L.A.U.D.I.A
4 Jadakissnia // Pharao - I Show You Secrets
3 Aelandor // BT - Skylarking
2 Trifoski // Golden Boy and Miss Kittin - Rippin Kittin
1 PRoJ // Only Shadows - At The Door Knocking

11th-27th:
Thelonia // Everyone You Know - Dance Like We Used To
Ambienta // Boards Of Canada - 1969
Oslol // Eliza And The Bear - Winter In New York
République d'Ashton // Vanessa Mdee - That's For Me (feat. Distruction Boyz, DJ Tira and Prince Bulo)
Rolloland // The Aloof - One Night Stand (The Long Night And The Samba) (Ashley Beedle Remix)
Quintessa // Cat Pierce - You Belong To Me
Deandria // Tikkle Me - Genius
Cor Lupus // Parker Bossley - Lifted
Suedeonia // Jordan Allen - Helter Skelter
Dobago // KAZKA - PLAKALA
Alteria // Sean McConnell - I Could Have Been An Angel
Danæviia // Alex M.O.R.P.H. - Running For Peace
Cadelicia // Caitlyn Scarlett and Segal - Nightmares (Yung Pretender Remix)
Buzzjack Mountain // Mauro Fire - Calling You Out
Tinnmark // Rat City - Kind Of Love (feat. Isak Heim)
Land of DW // Kiiara - L*** Is A Bad Word
Ultraviolenceland // Isabela Moner - I'll Stay

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 1 DNQs

4th Niceland // Cavetown - Green
7th #00274E // Louis The Child - Shake Something (feat. Joey Purp)
8th Florina // E.PARKER - Girl
9th Arcodesia // Jett Screams - Satan It's You

12th Séyetana // Arch Enemy - The Eagle Flies Alone
17th New Lexico // Raja Kumari - SHOOK
20th Tartford // Mathew V - The Coast
25th Holland-Oats // Mallrat - Groceries
27th Bhangra // Junior J - Save A Little Love (feat. John Gibbons and Therese)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 6th April 2019, 08:25 PM
Post #298
Group icon

^ been slacking with this thread again while I've been focusing on getting the Songs of BJSC thread revamp done, once that is done I might finally be back to reliably updating here again cool.gif will do my usual write-ups for the last two contests in the near future ~~

2019 Q1 catchup edition [3/3]

BJSC 113

forget me, forget me, forget me

Baiuca and Aliboria bring Galician folktronica to BJSC 113

For BJSC 113, back to the contest's spiritual home of Aeroche after another record-breaking win from them, Persephonia has opted to go for a Spanish act (two of them in fact), our second Spanish entry to date after ROSALÍA's 'Catalina' in BJSC 102. Providing our 92nd main contest entry to date are Baiuca (Madrid producer Alejandro Guillán, who formerly performed under the name Alex Casanova) and featured act Aliboria (a mixed-gender but female vocal Galician folk group) with the song 'Olvídame' (translating to 'Forget Me'), which was released in November 2018 as the first single from Baiuca's EP 'Misturas' which was released just a week before the contest started.

All the tracks on the EP feature Aliboria and all are downtempo electronic reworkings of recordings of traditional folk songs from the Spanish region of Galicia by the group, as featured on their eponymous 2017 debut album with composer Xosé Lois Romero. You can hear the mostly a cappella original here (confusingly titled 'Mangüeiro (Olvídame)', while there is another song on Baiuca's EP titled 'Mangüeiro' but it is a different song). That makes this our third entry out of our last 12 to be a revamped version of an old folk song after the aforementioned 'Catalina' and our BJSC 111 entry 'Tu Sì 'Na Cosa Grande' by In The Loop. It also brings another new language, Galician, to the Persephonian discography - it's our 16th fully foreign language entry in 14 different languages. After all, why not go back to obscure regional languages after English failed us so badly last month? x Baiuca's version of the song combines the hypnotising chanted vocal line and handclap rhythms from the original recording with Bonobo-esque electronic beats and heavy use of the gaita, a fancy name for bagpipes which are apparently a thing in Galician folk music (it was news to me that they existed outside of Scotland x). The trippy music video for the track is linked below and if you're a fan of this we'd also recommend the rest of the 'Misturas' EP which is in a similar style, our other highlight being 'Caroi'.

'Olvídame' appears as song 19 of 30 in semi-final 1 (drawn 19th two months in a row and 20th the previous month thinking.gif), with turnout for the contest at its highest since BJSC 107 meaning that 20 songs rather than 18 will qualify from each semi-final again for the first time since then. This entry has given us some early hype though so let's hope we'll be qualifying fairly comfortably anyway ;o Our semi-final also sees the return of another national favourite Persephonian alumnus, our BJSC 86 entrant Aron Can resurfacing as a featured artist (alongside Arro) on BRÍET's 'Feimin(n)' representing returning nation Mosquetania, which can be found in slot 17.

Speaking of ROSALÍA...

The Best of BJSC - The Rejects XI summary

We swooped in to finish off the eleventh edition of the end-of-year second-chance contest for DNQs, The Rejects, after it had been left hanging on the nominations stage for a couple of months. As such we had the honour of hosting the final voting and results (there was no semi-final stage this time) live from Angel Arena in Sparkton-upon-Haze. And with that came our first final appearance in either of the Best of BJSC contests since making the final of TBO VIII with three songs and the associated Rejects with a fourth song, as 'Catalina' came through for us to make it to the final! We even very nearly got our other eligible song, Ash Koosha's 'Aroha' from BJSC 109, through as well.

'Catalina' was drawn as song 22 of 39 in the final, which also featured our former potential entry 'House Of Air' by Brendan Macleran representing Vülkyria in slot 3. It went on to be a great success for us as we almost got to announced ourselves as winners of Rejects for the second time (after winning the fifth edition of Rejects with Angel Haze's 'New York') - but alas, we fell just short in 2nd place with 112 points. We'll take it, never expected to be that high but I suppose ROSALÍA's increased name power since she represented us in the contest helped a bit!

The winner of the contest was Republic of Adonia's BJSC 105 entry 'Night Time' by Superorganism on 128 points, a satisfactory winner if a somewhat predictable one as it was one of a couple of entries which would have qualified the first time around if not for a 33% deduction for non-voting. Singerpurear finished 3rd on 107 points with BJSC 106 entry and retro UK top 20 hit 'Forever More' by Moloko while the top 5 was rounded out on a tiebreak on 93 points (after we fixed a small error in the results xx), 4th place going to Cowtermont's BJSC 103 track 'Relax' by REZZ (which is also in Your Best of BJSC II whose results remain pending) while Harmonica settled for 5th with ARY's 'Already There', their entry to BJSC 104.

Full Persephonian rankings and nominations for The Best of BJSC - The Rejects XI

Final

Points awarded:
18 Taahino // mewithoutYou - Julia (Or, 'Holy To The LORD' On The Bells Of Horses)
15 Summericia // Anne Clark - Our Darkness
13 Cumulonimbia // LPLX - DAMSON

12 Skall // of Montreal - Paranoiac Intervals/Body Dysmorphia
11 Utopia // Liela Moss - Memories And Faces
10 Vülkyria // Brendan Maclean - House Of Air
9 Lotunia // Sofia Jannok - Snölejoninna (feat. Addeboy Vs. Cliff)
8 Skall // Bandolero - Paris Latino
7 Cowtermont // REZZ - Relax
6 Republic of Adonia // Superorganism - Night Time

5 Kluminican Republic // Odetta Hartman - Misery
4 Terra Avium // Goblin - Suspiria
3 Ultraviolenceland // Vennu Mallesh - It's My Life What Ever I Wanna Do
2 Skall // God Colony - SE16 (feat. Flohio)
1 Beaverdonia // Panama - Always

16th-38th:
Holland-Oats // Chet Faker - Gold
Desbuanda // Tash Sultana - Mystik
Kluminican Republic // Peter Crowley - Queen Of The Sea
Terra Avium // Strawhatz - Koto (feat. ASUKA and DJ UPPERCUT)
Jupiterdonia // AMBER and LUNA - Lower
Unovia // Vitaa - Comme Dab
Cowtermont // GFOTY - Tongue
Skall // Los Campesinos! - This Is How You Spell "HAHAHA, We Destroyed The Hopes And Dreams Of A Generation Of Faux-Romantics"
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Ruel - Younger
Thelonia // Madeaux - The Wave (feat. BRUX)
Niceland // Sotiria and Unheilig - Hallo Leben
Altyr Muunilinst // Laura Branigan - Solitaire
Tartford // I'm From Barcelona - We're From Barcelona
Fljótavík // G Flip - About You
New Lexico // CYN - Believer
Daehun // IU - You & I
Mulgracia // July Jones - I Fall Apart
Singerpurear // Moloko - Forever More
Wholune // Jerry Williams - I'm Not In Love With You
United States of Jack // Liv Dawson - Talk
Harmonica // ARY - Already There
Hendinia // SUNMI - Heroine

~

Nominations

Dobago // Tom Budin and Luciana - X With U
Espen // Soulé - What Do You Know
Holland-Oats // Morgan Saint - YOU
Rolloland // Marillion - The Great Escape
Skall // Bandolero - Paris Latino

Jupiterdonia // AMBER and LUNA - Lower
Land of DW // MC Fioti - Bum Bum Tam Tam
Singerpurear // The Limiñanas - Istanbul Is Sleepy (feat. Anton Newcombe)
Skall // Kodak Black - Transportin'
Thelonia // Madeaux - The Wave (feat. BRUX)

Aelandor // Moriaty - Esperanza
Beaverdonia // Juanes - La Luz
Cowtermont // REZZ - Relax
Jadakissnia // Elena Temnikova - Kazalsya Strannym
Vülkyria // Brendan Maclean - House Of Air

Deandria // Božo Vrećo - Pustinja (feat. Indigo)
Dobago // Amber Mark - Monsoon (feat. Mia Mark)
Medhelnia // Kevin Abstract - Empty
Skall // Los Campesinos! - This Is How You Spell "HAHAHA, We Destroyed The Hopes And Dreams Of A Generation Of Faux-Romantics"
Zaminton // Shystie - Doppelgänger

Aelandor // Hockeysmith - But Blood
Lotunia // Sofia Jannok - Snölejoninna (feat. Addeboy Vs. Cliff)
Republic of Adonia // Superorganism - Night Time
Skall // of Montreal - Paranoiac Intervals/Body Dysmorphia
Ultraviolenceland // Vennu Mallesh - It's My Life What Ever I Wanna Do

Beaverdonia // Panama - Always
Espen // Chromatics - Blue Girl
Holland-Oats // Chet Faker - Gold
Kluminican Republic // Odetta Hartman - Misery
Suedeonia // Little Comets - M62

Buzzjack Mountain // Mellina - Pacatuiesc Cu Tine
Cumulonimbia // LPLX - DAMSON
Desbuanda // Tash Sultana - Mystik
East Rukahavian // Amigos Raros - A Punto (feat. Delfina Campos)
Skall // Oliver N'Goma - Adia

Ambienta // Actress - X22RME
Flynnonda // half•alive - still feel.
Skall // Amber Mark - All The Work
Taahino // mewithoutYou - Julia (Or, 'Holy To The LORD' On The Bells Of Horses)

Kluminican Republic // Peter Crowley - Queen Of The Sea
Ojnoj // Black Honey - Wasting Time
Skall // God Colony - SE16 (feat. Flohio)
Suedeonia // Tricky - We Don't Die
Summericia // Anne Clark - Our Darkness

South Danaelanda // Yolanda Be Cool - Afro Nuts (DCUP Remix)
Flynnonda // Mikhail Catan - Heart And Soul
Terra Avium // Goblin - Suspiria
Trifoski // Jack Stauber's Micropop - Inchman
Utopia // Liela Moss - Memories And Faces

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 6th April 2019, 08:37 PM
Post #299
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

DANCE WITH THE DEAD, our BJSC 79 act who were recently also in the Masquerade II spinoff, were the co-producers of Florina's entry, 'Murder' by vverevvolf,

Ahhhh that’s cool, never realised that!! ohmy.gif

(yes a self-indulgent post as not heard your entry this month yet x)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 2nd May 2019, 02:51 PM
Post #300
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 02/05/2019
[1/2]

Baiuca bounces us back to the final once again

Qualifying was never much of a worry for BJSC 113 but indeed we made it to the final with Baiuca's 'Olvídame' (feat. Aliboria) to bounce back from our previous DNQ and keep up our run of avoiding DNQ streaks (our last nine 'DNQ streaks' have been confined to just the one contest missing out). This gave us our 69th (lel) appearance in a final and put us at 2 out of 3 for the year to date. 'Olvídame' was drawn as the 35th song in the 42-strong final. Business as usual continued with the longest qualification streaks, Aeroche and Cor Lupus going to their 27th finals in a row and St. Burbia to their 14th.

The top five of our votes in semi-final 1 made it through with us but we lost three songs that made it into the lower half of our votes - our 5 pointer for returning nation Mosquetania with BRÍET's 'Feimin(n)', featuring Persephonian alumnus Aron Can and Arro (very disappointing to not see Aron make the final again with another great song after coming 12th for us but ho hum!), Arcodesia's The New Regime with 'Say What You Will' which somehow came last in the semi but got 3 points from us, and our 1 pointer 'Awake' by Fifi Rong representing Deandria. From the Persephonian public's top 10 picks in semi-final 2, two fell sort of the final, fifth-placed Jadakissnia with Josin's 'Once Apart' and 10th ranked Land of DW with 'Trip To Ireland' by Dr. Peacock.

BJSC 113 summary

- There was reason to believe the early hype - in the final of BJSC 113 in Aeroche, Baiuca and Aliboria went over and above all odds and predictions to finish in 2nd place out of 42, with 279 points from 33 voters (the most votes of any song in this contest)! It's our eighth podium position to date, which has been a long time coming - the previous seven were all in the space of 27 contests (from Truls' 'Out Of Yourself' in BJSC 53 to DANCE WITH THE DEAD's 'Waves' in BJSC 79) but the result for 'Olvídame' ends a 33 contest dry spell since then. It's our highest finish since A-WA's 'Habib Galbi', the more recent of our two winners in BJSC 74, and just about our second best ever result in both points and votes (well behind the 344 points 'Habib Galbi' got, but only one behind our record number of votes set by 'Waves', which was our previous second highest scoring song with 278 points). This also brings our tally of top 5 hits to 11 and top 10s to 15 as well as securing 2019 as the 7th year in a row we've had at least one top 10 hit. Of our 7 previous medallists, two others finished as runners-up (Jaymes Young's 'Dark Star' (Kiely Rich Remix) in BJSC 57 and Kids Of The Apocalypse's 'EMPIRE' in BJSC 61), although the 2nd place stings a little less this time as unlike the previous two occasions, we've already had a couple of wins now and we weren't really that close to adding a third this time, finishing 41 points behind the winner. We were happy enough to take the 50/50 shot at an AQ xx In terms of percentage of possible points, this ranks as our 6th biggest hit to date, earning 26.27% of all possible points. 'Dark Star' still leads that list with 33.68% followed by 'EMPIRE', 'Cry For Freedom' by Jay Dabhi and Moises Modesto (our first winner, BJSC 67), Spark's 'Revolving' (6th place in BJSC 30) and 'Habib Galbi'.

- 6 countries gave medal positions to 'Olvídame', including 2 full scores of 18 received from the hosts Aeroche and Vülkyria who were giving us top marks for the first time. We also got 15 points from Séyetana and 13 points each from Beaverdonia, Espen and Harmonica. The wider appeal of this entry compared to most that we send attracted votes from a handful of countries that very rarely vote for us, including the aforementioned Harmonica, and most excitingly Niceland who gave us 4 points to finally appear on our points received list after not voting for any of our previous 20 finalists since they joined cheer.gif The reveal of the semi-final results brought new juicy stats for us as 'Olvídame' turned out to be our fourth semi-final winner, coming 1st out of 28 in semi-final 1 with 128 points, following in the footsteps of 'Dark Star', 'EMPIRE' and 'Waves' (so curiously our three runners-up all won their semi-final but neither of our final winners did). That's nominally our 4th highest points total in a semi-final to date, although the likely immovable leader of that list, BJSC 100 entry 'IDL' by Life Sim which got 166 points to come 7th in its semi-final, is only there because of the one-off inflated points system for the BJSC 100 semis. 'EMPIRE' (147 points) and 'Dark Star' (137) scored legitimately higher totals. Thanks very much to all who made this our biggest success for quite a while - I've even been forced to split this rambling summary of stats for my own entry into two paragraphs for it to be somewhat readable ohmy.gif

- rest of summary to be added later once I'm done with the Songs of BJSC thread x (#soon #mks)

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 113

Final

Points awarded:
18 Thelonia // k?d - Creator's Flower
15 Lotunia // Hawa Boussim - Koregore
13 FSR Rontvia // DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ - All The Beautiful Things U Do

12 Beaverdonia // atlantida project - Sarva Mangalam
11 Trifoski // The Comet Is Coming - Summon The Fire
10 Elëdan // Conan Osíris - 100 Paciência
9 Séyetana // UVERworld - Touch Off
8 Bhangra // Vargas & Lagola - Selfish
7 Singerpurear // Mory Kanté - Yé Ké Yé Ké
6 Danæviia // Two Steps From Hell - Emerald Princess (feat. Chris Bleth and Merethe Soltvedt)

5 Tartford // Hybrid - Finished Symphony
4 Terra Avium // Ex:Re - Romance
3 St. Burbia // The New Respects - Trouble
2 East Rukahavian // Malla - Sabrina
1 Suedeonia // Paris Angels - Perfume (All On You)

16th-41st:
Kluminican Republic // Boys Noize and Pilo - Cerebral
Fljótavík // Hatchie - Without A Blush
Skall // Leikeli47 - Mulita
Aeroche // Sharon Van Etten - Jupiter 4
Hendinia // COBRAH - WET
Aesthetica // MOLLY - Ne Plachu
Quintessa // Tal - ADN
Vülkyria // Basic Element - Touch You Right Now (feat. D-Flex)
#00274E // Allday - In Motion (feat. Japanese Wallpaper)
Oslol // Broods - Hospitalized
Dobago // Sunlounger - White Sand
Florina // Moyka - Colder
Kylienips // Meg Myers - Little Black Death
Taahino // tiLLie - Save Yourself
Cowtermont // Andrew Bayer - In My Last Life (In My Next Life Mix) (feat. Alison May)
Pupok // Shirin David - Gib Ihm
Greenfroze // Stereoact - Wunschkonzert (feat. SARAH)
Harmonica // Avalanche City - Prayed For Love
Unovia // Aly Ryan - Wear Your Love
Espen // Noa Kirel - Drum
Jupiterdonia // LÉON - You And I
FARC // Clara Mae - Lost
Ultraviolenceland // Baker Grace - Numb
Cor Lupus // Sleepy Tom - Amateurs (feat. Lights)
Daehun // Charlotte Perrelli and Kate Ryan - Little Braveheart
Cadelicia // AJR - 100 Bad Days

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
12 Thelonia // k?d - Creator's Flower
10 Beaverdonia // atlantida project - Sarva Mangalam
8 FSR Rontvia // DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ - All The Beautiful Things U Do

7 Danæviia // Two Steps From Hell - Emerald Princess (feat. Chris Bleth and Merethe Soltvedt)
6 Séyetana // UVERworld - Touch Off
5 Mosquetania // BRÍET - Feimin(n) (feat. Aron Can and Arro)
4 St. Burbia // The New Respects - Trouble
3 Arcodesia // The New Regime - Say What You Will
2 Fljótavík // Hatchie - Without A Blush
1 Deandria // Fifi Rong - Awake

11th-29th:
République d'Ashton // Laing - Du Bist Dir Nicht Mehr Sicher
Alteria // Sun Gods - Zanzara
Aesthetica // MOLLY - Ne Plachu
Scherzland // The Japanese House - Maybe You're The Reason
Oslol // Broods - Hospitalized
Dobago // Sunlounger - White Sand
Vülkyria // Basic Element - Touch You Right Now (feat. D-Flex)
Taahino // tiLLie - Save Yourself
Cumulonimbia // Charlotte Adigéry - High Lights
Aelandor // Savoir Adore - Savages
Rolloland // Peter Mylett - The Greenway Song
Pupok // Shirin David - Gib Ihm
Greenfroze // Stereoact - Wunschkonzert (feat. SARAH)
Espen // Noa Kirel - Drum
Ultraviolenceland // Baker Grace - Numb
Harmonica // Avalanche City - Prayed For Love
New Lexico // ALMA - Perfect
Daehun // Charlotte Perrelli and Kate Ryan - Little Braveheart
Cadelicia // AJR - 100 Bad Days

DNQed

Semi-Final 2 DNQs

5th Jadakissnia // Josin - Once Apart
10th Land of DW // Dr. Peacock - Trip To Ireland

15th Wholune // The Marías - Cariño
19th Utopia // As December Falls - Ride
20th Holland-Oats // Ok Moon - Loved You Right
22nd Bøtanikkä // 20 Fingers - Lick It (feat. Roula)
23rd Flynnonda // GRACEY - Different Things
28th Niceland // Kokab and Beatchild - Bottom Of You
29th Altyr Muunilinst // Pia Mia - Bitter Love
30th Tinnmark // Eddy De Pretto - Fête De Trop

+Quote this post

17 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:59 AM