BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> COI EOY chart 2018, My end of year top 40!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
coi
post Jan 3 2019, 08:53 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240
THE COI EOY TOP 40 - 2018

My end of year top 40 will be counted down on this thread! Because my personal chart only started in August, this is just based on my most streamed tracks of the year (which I think accurately represents which songs I loved most this year anyway). If you've followed the personal chart you may have an idea what sort of stuff is to follow, it's a list that will include the likes of Alan Walker, Drake, Martin Garrix, Bring Me The Horizon, Post Malone, Arctic Monkeys, Manic Street Preachers and Ariana Grande to name a few!

This post has been edited by coi: Jan 6 2019, 11:31 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sergej
post Jan 3 2019, 10:50 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723
Very excited for this!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 3 2019, 03:36 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Hope there'll be some stuff I like in here!

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 3 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Let's get straight into it then!

40. Architects - Doomsday

We begin with the heaviest song of the top 40, from Brighton metalcore band Architects. This was the first single they released after their guitarist Tom Searle died in 2016, it came out in September 2017 and was playlisted by Radio 1 later that autumn, where I started to get used to this track. It grew with every listen which gave it a strong start during the first couple of months in 2018, then receiving another few plays near the end of the year too as the band released their eighth studio album Holy Hell in November, where this is the penultimate track.

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 3 2019, 04:39 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
39. A$AP Rocky feat. Skepta - Praise The Lord (Da Shine)

Two pretty big rappers collaborated on this song which went on to become the 84th best selling single in the UK this year. A catchy chorus combined with a pretty good use of panpipes helped it do so well, and I like all the references to DMX's classic Who We Be as well. music.gif

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 3 2019, 04:42 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
38. Visions of Atlantis - The Deep & The Dark

The next song is from Austrian band Visions of Atlantis, and this is the title track to the album they released in February 2018 - not that I was aware of it at the time as the track came to this site's attention by appearing in the final of BJSC 109 for Cor Lupus, where it only finished 31st out of 39. It deserved so much better.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Jan 4 2019, 01:43 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293
Great to see Praise The Lord (Da Shine) here. Brilliant collaboration and I was delighted to see that it gave Rocky his first proper hit in the UK.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 4 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
The Deep and the Dark is one of the better Euro-rock songs of that sort I've heard, if you only hear a few they sound quite innovative but after a while they all do sound a bit the same sadly sad.gif

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 5 2019, 11:19 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(LewisGT @ Jan 4 2019, 01:43 PM) *
Great to see Praise The Lord (Da Shine) here. Brilliant collaboration and I was delighted to see that it gave Rocky his first proper hit in the UK.

Agreed, and I was surprised that he hadn't been in the top 40 before (other than as a feature for Selena Gomez!). Now this has probably become my favourite of Rocky's songs.

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 4 2019, 06:17 PM) *
The Deep and the Dark is one of the better Euro-rock songs of that sort I've heard, if you only hear a few they sound quite innovative but after a while they all do sound a bit the same sadly sad.gif

No doubt there are plenty of songs out there with that style but this one just really clicked for me!

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 5 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
37. El Profesor - Bella Ciao (HUGEL Remix)

Here we have a fairly big hit in Europe that never really made it to the UK, finishing as the sixth best selling single of the year in Germany! 'Bella Ciao' was originally an Italian folk song from the first half of the 20th century and used as a 'hymn of freedom', but bizarrely it became used in about ten other remakes in 2018 including versions by the likes of Steve Aoki, Alok, Maître Gims and Hardwell as well as this remix by Hugel, which all started after it was used in a Spanish TV series. This one remains my favourite remix of the lot.

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 5 2019, 11:47 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
36. Drake - Diplomatic Immunity

Drake had a pretty successful 2018, and it started with the Scary Hours EP he released in January, which contained this and some other song that no one has heard of called God's Plan. Anyway for the first couple of weeks after the EP came out I actually preferred this song! Despite there being an incredible 25 songs on his album Scorpion which came out in the summer, there somehow still wasn't any space for this one.

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 5 2019, 12:04 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
35. Twenty One Pilots - Jumpsuit

Twenty One Pilots came back after basically disappearing for over a year with this song coming out in July. This was the first single released from their album Trench, and I would still say it's the best song on the album too. Although it only managed to reach number 50 in the UK chart, it did become successful in some ways after winning the public vote for Hottest Record of the Year for Annie Mac's show on BBC Radio 1.

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 6 2019, 10:20 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
34. W&W & Darren Styles feat. Giin - Long Way Down

Another BJSC discovery here! Although I was already aware of W&W, this song only came to my attention through BJSC 108 (before I even joined the contest!) where it finished in fifth place for Cowtermont. This track has so much energy in it!

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 6 2019, 10:35 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
33. Big Shaq - Man's Not Hot

We have a song carried over from 2017 here. I was already aware of Shaq (aka comedian Michael Dapaah) before the actual song was released thanks to his appearance on Charlie Sloth's Fire In The Booth, which went viral pretty quickly. I couldn't believe it when Man's Not Hot actually made it into the UK chart, and following the slow and steady rise to its eventual peak at number three in January 2018 (a remarkably long time for a novelty song to stay in the chart these days - although Baby Shark might have something to say about that now!) was incredible. There's something truly remarkable about how a song that is basically parodying UK grime ended up becoming one that received a lot of support from UK grime fans! This song was the subject of many memes for many months as well. I just wish Big Shaq made a better follow-up as Man Don't Dance was actually terrible.

+Quote this post
danG
post Jan 6 2019, 12:55 PM
Post #15
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Man Don't Dance really was the disappointment of the century.. but at least Man's Not Hot was great!
Diplomatic Immunity is quite an odd choice of Drake fave, didn't get much enjoyment from it after the first 2 weeks. I guess there'll be more Drake to come?
I also charted Bella Ciao and Long Way Down, decent tunes.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Jan 7 2019, 03:22 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293
Diplomatic Immunity - I was enjoying this on a par with God's Plan when they were first released but this hasn't held up that well throughout the year for me. I've hardly listened to it at all for a few months.

It is crazy to think about just how huge Man's Not Hot actually was. I don't think I even bothered listening to the follow-up at all though.

This post has been edited by LewisGT: Jan 7 2019, 06:38 PM

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 7 2019, 03:59 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(danuary @ Jan 6 2019, 12:55 PM) *
Man Don't Dance really was the disappointment of the century.. but at least Man's Not Hot was great!
Diplomatic Immunity is quite an odd choice of Drake fave, didn't get much enjoyment from it after the first 2 weeks. I guess there'll be more Drake to come?
I also charted Bella Ciao and Long Way Down, decent tunes.

Totally agree, Man Don't Dance was such a let down after how great Man's Not Hot was, and you have indeed worked out that Diplomatic Immunity won't be the only Drake entry in here!

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Jan 7 2019, 03:22 PM) *
Diplomatic Immunity - I was enjoying this on a par with God's Plan when they were first released but this hasn't held up that well throughout the year for me. I've hardly listened to it at all for a few months.

t is crazy to think about just how huge Man's Not Hot actually was. I don't think I even bothered listening to the follow-up at all though.

Yes, I preferred Diplomatic Immunity to start with! I have to admit I didn't listen to it much after the spring though, mainly because he kept making so many massive songs! God's Plan will feature higher up.
I also can't believe Man's Not Hot managed to stay around for so long! Glad you got to avoid Man Don't Dance too, it was awful.

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 7 2019, 04:06 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
32. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho

This was pretty big across Europe for the last few months of the year and took so long to make it to the UK, but it eventually it got there and is now the official UK number one! Well deserved debut hit for Ava Max, it'll be interesting to see if she can do a good follow-up in 2019.

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 7 2019, 04:22 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
31. Kygo feat. Sandro Cavazza - Happy Now

Another one that has been big in Scandinavia over the last couple of months, except this one hasn't made it to UK number one. Instead it's hovering around at the lower end of the Spotify top 200 and is on Radio 2's playlist. laugh.gif
I've been a fan of Kygo right since he made it to Norwegian number one with his remix of Seinabo Sey's Younger in 2014, and I loved Firestone even more - I remember being really happy just to see it enter the UK top 100 in January 2015! It had such a slow climb up the UK charts but it eventually made it into the top ten in April. This year he's not done so well in the UK but I hope this song can get him back up there.

+Quote this post
coi
post Jan 7 2019, 04:34 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
30. Armin van Buuren vs. Shapov - Our Origin

This is probably my favourite Armin van Buuren offering since Ping Pong in 2014! A really good trance song from the Dutch DJ here, who you might remember from the 2013 hit This Is What It Feels Like which I also loved.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:52 AM