BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Head of Radio 1 proposes chart shake-up, He wants to include airplay in the charts, like that'll help...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post 13th July 2016, 06:29 AM
Post #41
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
iPhone autocorrects airplay to AirPlay for some reason.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post 13th July 2016, 06:35 AM
Post #42
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
User: 275
QUOTE(danG @ Jul 13 2016, 08:29 AM) *
iPhone autocorrects airplay to AirPlay for some reason.

AirPlay is a service from Apple, with the help of AirPlay you can stream your music, pictures etc from iPhone to Apple TV.

I'm guessing that's why it autocorrects airplay.

+Quote this post
T83:Y96
post 13th July 2016, 09:16 AM
Post #43
Group icon
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
User: 21,319
The guy does have a point about the curated playlists. If they went, the chart might be more interesting. If only there was a way to differentiate those streams from people actually paying attention to the music played.

But airplay is a horrendous idea. No. Never.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 13th July 2016, 10:03 AM
Post #44
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
At least someone is noticing that there is a problem with having the charts so stagnant, it decreases interest in them. Airplay is probably not the answer as said (unless they hold off on commercial stations, wouldn't that be fantastic?).

Somehow, people and radio stations need to start having a higher turnover of the music they listen to but that's something beyond the control of anyone. Maybe when the labels have to step in when too many of their young next-big-things fail.

Indie and rock tends to be more about gaining a fanbase that'll go to your shows when your band pulls into town. If commercial stations caught onto an indie hit it'd probably be big (look at how popular culture refuses to let go of a small number of indie rock hits from the mid 00s), but they tend to need to have something really special about them to get remembered, otherwise on the whole the public seems to prefer listening to pop and RnB forever.

+Quote this post
post 13th July 2016, 10:11 AM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I thought it was just my phone that changed to AirPlay!

I'm glad some of the people at the top think that maybe the streaming contributions should be reduced. But airplay...No.... Songs like Don't Even Try by Bryan Adams and Ward Thomas' song are high in airplay simply because Radio 2 play them a lot, but nobody's buying them! Airplay obviously does have some effect on popularity and vice verse, but it has nothing to do with how much the public is choosing to spend their money on music....so NO.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 13th July 2016, 10:12 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
QUOTE(Bré @ Jul 13 2016, 04:12 AM) *
Is there a reason people keep spelling 'airplay' as 'AirPlay'?

That is my only contribution to this thread. x

Because iPhones autocorrect it to AirPlay as its a feature on the iPhone itself.

EDIT: sorry, just seen that this has already been answered!

This post has been edited by cqmerqn: 13th July 2016, 10:12 AM

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 13th July 2016, 10:15 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The obvious answer is reducing the stream count to 200:1, or even 150:1..

+Quote this post
danG
post 13th July 2016, 10:23 AM
Post #48
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Reducing the stream ratio wouldn't make the charts a whole lot fresher, though it would solve the problem of songs like One Dance spending 15 weeks at #1

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 13th July 2016, 10:30 AM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(danG @ Jul 13 2016, 11:23 AM) *
Reducing the stream ratio wouldn't make the charts a whole lot fresher, though it would solve the problem of songs like One Dance spending 15 weeks at #1

Yeah it would definitely have lowered the amount of weeks at no 1 for him to about 6.

+Quote this post
Supercell
post 13th July 2016, 10:36 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 11,831
Adding airplay would be a terrible idea we'd have songs being no.1 for an average of 5-6 weeks probably longer and they would be more stagnant then they are now.

I must admit they are kind of boring at how slow they have been the past month but then again there's not exactly tons of killer hits or big songs that have been released during that time so people have kept listening to the same stuff. The music industry itself has gone rather stale and boring and has been for the past couple of years and the charts reflect that imo.

I think with regards to streaming that it should be counted differently where its based on individual peoples streams so when someone streams a song 100 times it then no longer counts towards the chart as thats equal to one sale. The problem with that is I guess it would take most people weeks to reach that milestone so sales would be more spread out over a longer period.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 13th July 2016, 10:39 AM
Post #51
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
I wonder if the bigwig at Radio 1 is reading this topic or knows of Buzzjack forums, Airplay will just kill the charts, full stop, the streaming ratio needs to be increased not adding airplay into the mix of things.

+Quote this post
sm1ffj
post 13th July 2016, 10:54 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,629
Switching from Sunday's has killed off the chart already.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 13th July 2016, 10:56 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
don't think the solution is changing the ratio, that is calculated on the basis of the revenue generated... people have to accept that downloads are dying and let them die, the solution is not increasing the ratio so that a dying format has more presence in the charts...

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 13th July 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
QUOTE(cqmerqn @ Jul 13 2016, 10:15 AM) *
The obvious answer is reducing the stream count to 200:1, or even 150:1..

No, the answer is not to give sales more power. That's not a long-term solution because sales will continue to fall. They need to come up with a cleverer way of using the streaming data.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 13th July 2016, 05:55 PM
Post #55
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
QUOTE(AcerBen @ Jul 13 2016, 06:50 PM) *
No, the answer is not to give sales more power. That's not a long-term solution because sales will continue to fall. They need to come up with a cleverer way of using the streaming data.

Exactly - all that does is delay the inevitable, meaning that in a years time we'll be in exactly the same situation!

Here's a radical idea: how about music stations in the UK actually PLAY SOME NEW MUSIC.

This post has been edited by Doctor Blind: 13th July 2016, 05:55 PM

+Quote this post
Ethan
post 13th July 2016, 06:36 PM
Post #56
Group icon
3:23
User: 5,269
i can't see apple or spotify accepting anything that diminishes the importance of their services, including curated playlists, in the chart ~ streaming providers are arguably the most powerful lobby at the moment and in terms of providing data effectively have the occ over a barrel, so if the streaming ratio were to be amended it is only going to go down e.g. 1:50...

lol if airplay was included ‘uptown funk’ would only just be leaving the top40, hardly the answer to static charts. funny there is never a ‘problem’ when we have 40 odd #1’s in a year, yet that is far more damaging to the value of having a chart topper and the credibility of the chart!

r1 are just sounding off because they can’t get involved in the curated playlist PAYOLA racket, and are panicking that playlists will diminish the relevancy of their specialized programming~

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 13th July 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
If I was in charge of the OCC I'd make each first stream count 1:1 with a paid for sale, and just wouldn't register any further streaming 'sales' after the first play from each individual account.

That way neither sales or streaming is given any more or less importance, and songs would move around just as they did before streaming was introduced. If a song was to somehow get 14 weeks at #1, it would be because more new people are discovering it as the weeks go by, not because the same people are playing it over and over again.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 13th July 2016, 07:03 PM
Post #58
Group icon
I saw an interesting article that suggested Millennials were embracing Spotify/Deezer et. al to the expense of traditional radio, so your point Ethan about R1 panicking is probably well founded - indeed they keep trying to appeal to a younger and younger audience and yet their average audience age continues to rise.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 13th July 2016, 07:05 PM
Post #59
Group icon
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Jul 13 2016, 08:01 PM) *
If I was in charge of the OCC I'd make each first stream count 1:1 with a paid for sale, and just wouldn't register any further streaming 'sales' after the first play from each individual account.

That way neither sales or streaming is given any more or less importance, and songs would move around just as they did before streaming was introduced. If a song was to somehow get 14 weeks at #1, it would be because more new people are discovering it as the weeks go by, not because the same people are playing it over and over again.

That wouldn't work because there are a lot of curiosity listens in Week 1 of each single being released. You'd end up with pretty much the most popular new release debuting at #1 each week, plummeting and then perhaps rising back once sales started to pick up. It would look and be ridiculous!

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 13th July 2016, 07:07 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jul 13 2016, 08:03 PM) *
I saw an interesting article that suggested Millennials were embracing Spotify/Deezer et. al to the expense of traditional radio, so your point Ethan about R1 panicking is probably well founded - indeed they keep trying to appeal to a younger and younger audience and yet their average audience age continues to rise.

And what happens to those acts they don't support, for example Status Quo laugh.gif probably a bad example heehee.gif , well those acts that are over the hill, so to speak

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 03:05 PM