BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Number One's, Please Vote and leave Opinions
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
The Ultimate Take That Number 1
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
pippa
post Aug 5 2016, 03:54 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

Take That have achieved a highly impressive 12 number 1 hits. From the list above which is your true number 1? Please leave opinions in addition to your vote.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dylan62
post Aug 5 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Climber
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,185
   No Gallery Pics

This is a very difficult choice, Pippa. I love EC, Pray, NF etc. I'm sure many would go for BFG as I guess it's their biggest selling song world wide and the song most associated with TT. Whilst I appreciate it's a wonderfully crafted classic pop song it's never been a favourite of mine.

On balance I would choose Patience. Wonderful harmonies, great lead vocal, excellent orchestration and lyrics. In general a classic and memorable pop song.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Aug 5 2016, 06:37 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

I like the points you made on Back for Good as i agree with every single point you made.

+Quote Post
milly
post Aug 5 2016, 09:28 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,540
   No Gallery Pics

Now I'm feeling a bit bad about my choice smile.gif But it has to be BFG for me, not because it's their most famous single yet, but because it's the song that made me fall in love with Gary's voice and turned my insides to mush when I heard it again in 2005. For me, it's the one song they haven't managed to match yet and it's the one song that could make them famous worldwide again - unfortunately, I don't think you can get 2 BFGs in one lifetime.

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Aug 6 2016, 04:20 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

I voted patience, a fantastic come back song although back for good is arguably a very strong contender too. However, I would have picked rule the world but it didn't make no1 sadly.

+Quote Post
nirvanamusic
post Aug 6 2016, 04:44 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 16,950
   No Gallery Pics

Although Pray was a huge song for me and Never Forget and I loved Patience though the first time I heard it I didn't realise it was Take That initially!

For me it's got to be Back For Good - the harmonies, the music, the video, the vocals, lyrics just everything. This in my opinion was never bettered by them and represented a group in their (initial) prime vocally and in song writing.
There is a reason that track went all the way around the world and into the United States of America top ten at a time when it was dominated by grunge and gangsta rap hip hop. That alone tells you about the strength of the track as a pop track.

+Quote Post
jay727
post Aug 7 2016, 12:06 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 12,273

Agreed, for me it has to be back for good.

It's funny though, because Patience, Greatest Day, These Days and Pray were all needed at the time to help ensure they carried on! So really, you could argue those were the best number ones. It's a treat to have so many great songs to choose from however!

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Aug 7 2016, 06:53 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,155

Hard decision as I love them all but 'Patience' for the memories it brings back of the tour etc.,

I nearly went for 'These Days' such an unexpected #1 due to the way the charts work now.

+Quote Post
milly
post Aug 7 2016, 02:28 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,540
   No Gallery Pics

Interesting fact about BFG: it already has over 17 million views on yt, which is quite an achievement for a single that was released so long ago. It has more views than most of their singles released in the yt age.

+Quote Post
dylan62
post Aug 7 2016, 03:13 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

I think the BFG video is quite iconic and enhances the record rather than detracts from it. I'm surprised that more people haven't voted for BFG as it's by far their greatest achievement song writing wise. Whilst it's not my favourite TT song, I recognise its' merits and strengthens.

I wonder how things may have turned out if TT had capitalised on the success of that single? They essentially broke up at the height of their success making inroads into the US market after many years of trying. If Rob had stayed perhaps they would have become a world wide success? They were already strong in parts of Europe, Asia and Australia.

Whilst I wasn't a fan back then I have clear memories of the period immediately following their break up. Rob released a cover of a GM song if I recall which didn't set the world alight and the release of Angels really was a last throw of the dice. If that single hadn't taken off there's every possibility that Rob would have been dropped by his record label or at least faded into the shadows with medium UK success only. The success of Angels set off a chain of events and Rob grasped his opportunities with both hands.

In relation to now; given the way the singles market works it's conceivable that neither TT or Rob will secure another No 1 record. For TT to stand any chance they would need to release a physical copy in sufficient numbers to off set streaming. I rarely download but love physical copies/B sides - and I know I'm not alone in that respect. As for the forum poll I think BFG and Patience both represent the best of TT.

+Quote Post
nirvanamusic
post Aug 7 2016, 04:31 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dylan62 @ Aug 7 2016, 04:13 PM) *
I wonder how things may have turned out if TT had capitalised on the success of that single? They essentially broke up at the height of their success making inroads into the US market after many years of trying. If Rob had stayed perhaps they would have become a world wide success? They were already strong in parts of Europe, Asia and Australia.

I'm sure a new album would have had continued success in these new territories as well as the old. I know that they released Pray in the territories new to Take That in early 1996 as the follow up to Back For Good. It did moderate to well. In Canada for example BFG was #1 in November 95 and subsequently top 10 in the US the same month. BFG was a hit in Autumn after a promo push as opposed to earlier in year spring 95 when it was a hit elsewhere in the world. The success in North America trickled down over the borders into South America also during this time.
Pray was released in some select territories new to TT based on BFG popularity in Feb 1996 so just before the split announcement the next month.
In Canada it peaked at #55 spending 8 weeks in the Canadian top 100.

The Nobody Else album for North America and places in world unfamiliar to TT was a mash up of the Nobody Else album with some album tracks taken out and Pray, Babe and Love Ain't Here Anymore added in. In theory because of this Pray for these territories could be classed as the second single from Nobody Else as it was on that particular version.

Pray failed to chart in the US. The video was different also representing the four of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpgeNCP7OJs

However a new song/album could have done well potentially in North America. In Canada Nobody Else got to #23 and Greatest Hits #38. US#69 and two weeks n top 100. For the US pop bands got a foothold in 1997 with Hanson, Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls so a new studio album in 1996 may still not have set the US charts alight. It potentially would have charted in lower reaches perhaps however as opposed to nothing at all.

I think you're right before BFG the success was Europe, Asia, Australia and middle East (Israel etc). Once BFG was released they however had success in Africa (Never Forget was also a top 10 hit and Pray re-released also) and North/South America though there is footage of them doing a show in Mexico in 1994 so they may have had some footing there.
I have a Ghanaian friend who was early 20's during TT first time around (I know you can't really base everything on one sole person) and he said Back For Good was massive in Ghana and he also clearly remembers Never Forget, Pray, How Deep is Your Love and also Love Ain't Here Anymore which he believes was released after BFG there. He wasn't familiar with any songs pre BFG.
He also said that Westlife were really popular in Africa also especially their song My Love.

I think first time around their truly global hits were Back For Good, Never Forget, How Deep is Your Love and Pray (1993 and 1996 chartings).

I'm unsure about second time around although Patience got to #21 in Canada in early 2007 and spent 10 weeks in Canadian top 100. It also went top 30 in Australia so it is their most successful international single post comeback.

Intrigued by BFG having 17.2 million views on you tube. I decided to look for 90's view count top 5 to see through nostalgia or new fans etc which globally were being watched.

1.Back For Good - 17.2 million
2.How Deep Is Your Love - 7.1 million
3.Never Forget - 3 million
4.Everything Changes - 2.6 million
5.Pray - 2.5 million

00's onwards

1.The Flood - 23.7 million
2.Rule The World - 21.4 million
3.Patience - 18 million
4.Greatest Day - 12.5 million
5.These Days - 11.4 million

Despite Patience doing better than Rule the World globally in the charts it's views are less. Rule the World however benefitted from the global audience of the Olympics performance four years ago giving it worldwide attention.

This post has been edited by nirvanamusic: Aug 7 2016, 05:42 PM

+Quote Post
dylan62
post Aug 7 2016, 06:05 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for the research - interesting. It does suggest they possibly missed an opportunity to strengthen their fan base across the world. Did they ever get a foot hold in Eastern Europe/Russia I wonder?

I know that Rob has or had a strong base in South America and has had big crowds at his Eastern Europe and Asia concerts. Following their return in 2005/6 there wasn't a concerted effort by TT to make inroads anywhere outside of some European countries, although they did a couple of trips to Asia and a half hearted promotional trip to Australia if I remember correctly.

+Quote Post
nirvanamusic
post Aug 7 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dylan62 @ Aug 7 2016, 07:05 PM) *
Thanks for the research - interesting. It does suggest they possibly missed an opportunity to strengthen their fan base across the world. Did they ever get a foot hold in Eastern Europe/Russia I wonder?

They were popular in Russia and Latvia from the Everything Changes album definitely. I don't know about other eastern Euro countries.

They were big in Russia and Latvia in 90's. Latvia first top ten was Pray in '93 (#8) and #1's Love Ain't Here Anymore, Back For Good, Never Forget and How Deep Is Your Love. Don't know post comeback.

In Russia it's hard for 90's due to massive bootlegging and black market for music across the country. Perhaps radio play and audience votes are a true reflection of popularity.

East 17 however were the bigger band in Russia. They said in their documentary they were very popular in eastern Europe as their songs were political and represented oppression which connected with these countries and also their harsher image.

East 17 definitely had a #1 album in 'Up All Night' in 1995 in Russia and were so popular they fronted Pepsi Russia ads for the country! They also played a massive concert in front of Red Square in 1996.

Year end radio spins for Russia in 1996:

East 17 #13 Do U Still? and #16 Someone To Love
Take That #29 Every Guy and #36 How Deep Is Your Love.

I suppose Every Guy was a radio hit in Russia or a random release for Russia. I suppose it does sound the most like East 17 from that album. It was a promo single.

Year end audience votes (not sales) for Russia in 1996:

East 17 #4 Do U Still? and #7 Someone To Love.
Take That #8 How Deep Is Your Love and #13 Every Guy.

Russia was one of a handful of countries where East 17 did better than TT Australia and France were the other countries.

This post has been edited by nirvanamusic: Aug 7 2016, 07:08 PM

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 7 2016, 11:40 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

Never Forget easily gets my vote here, I still love the song and love seeing when they perform it. Back For Good was a huge huge moment for them but its a song I never fully got into, I like it a little more than I used to but I never was a huge of fan. I cant deny what a huge song it was for them and its one of the most important songs of their career. I do agree its a huge shame they split at that time as they really could have capitalized on the huge success of both back for good and the fantastic never forget.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Aug 8 2016, 01:50 AM
Post #15
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Back For Good. wub.gif Second choice would have been Pray.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Aug 8 2016, 04:14 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

This was mainly between Patience and Never Forget for my vote but Relight My Fire was in the running too. In the end, Never Forget received my vote.

+Quote Post
Roba.
post May 10 2023, 11:15 PM
Post #17
Rob aah
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,804
   No Gallery Pics

'Shine'.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:12 PM