BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hacksaw Ridge, Andrew Garfield
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post Oct 13 2016, 03:31 PM
Post #1
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Andrew Garfield could be coming for an Oscar nod. More likely for "Silence" it seems, but I think he looks fantastic in this.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Frank!
post Oct 13 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 761

Hate the trailer. Could be good though.

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Jan 23 2017, 11:55 PM
Post #3
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

The Golden Globes got this wrong, it should've gone in the comedy category laugh.gif! Vince Vaughn was great in that regard, I didn't expect it from the trailer.

Between "The Choice" and now this, Teresa Palmer seems to really dig cheesy chat-up lines. tongue.gif

Loved this and happy to see it getting awards attention, particularly Andrew having GG and BAFTA nods for this over "Silence". The fighting scenes weren't always my cup of tea but it was really nice to see Doss' comrades come to respect him and for him to help them rather than holding a grudge etc. along with even attending to the enemy. I'm glad the corniness in the beginning when he first met Dorothy hasn't put critics off really because overall it's a very worthy and sweet story. Also loved getting to see young Desmond at the start, to get insight into how his childhood played a role in the person he became.

You can tell it's Hollywood though, I noticed Andrew Garfield's hair looking pretty perfect straight after removing his helmet. heehee.gif

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Jan 31 2017, 08:50 AM
Post #4
c:
Member No.: 20,692

I wasn't even that hyped for this because I didn't think the trailer looked that interesting and I'm not huge on war movies either but this ended up being one of my favourite movies of this award's season. I loved both sides of the film, the scenes of Desmond at home meeting his future wife were very charming and the actual war scenes are horrifyingly brutal. During quite a few moments in the film, all I could think was just 'holy f***'. Mel Gibson really knows how to direct scenes like that so I'm glad he got the directing nomination there, I've seen 4/5 directors in that category and I'd argue he was probably my favourite but a nomination is probably a win in itself for him so I won't ask for too much. Andrew Garfield was spectacular in this, after a string of not-so-amazing movies since The Social Network, it's nice to see him have such a good year in 2016 with two absolutely killer performances in both this and Silence, a shame he couldn't be nominated for both really! Hugo Weaving was also very impressive (although the occasional lip quiver was a little too much for me laugh.gif) and it'd would have been nice to see him get his first ever Oscar nomination this year, I'd have easily put him in that category over Michael Shannon and Jeff Bridges. I feel like I'm focusing too much on the awards and not enough on the film itself because I did really think it was fantastic and I would recommend it to everyone really, the story of Desmond is incredibly inspiring, the war scenes were awfully violent but incredible to witness and the ending with the interviews with the real people were a great idea to finish with as well.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Feb 9 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Outstanding film, brilliantly directed. Some of those war scenes, wow.

Gonna take something really special to oust this from my #1 spot this year...

+Quote Post
Qween
post Feb 17 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #6
Schlagerdrottningen
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

So I finally got around to watch this. It was both better and worse than I expected. I loathe war movies, I have never seen one and wanted to see it again, but the war aspects of this were excellent, by far the best bits about it. The initial battle on the ridge was exceptionally directed, shot and acted. Some of the best I've ever seen in a war film, it felt natural and not as staged as they usually do. Not just because it was quite graphic, but the combination of angles, shots and focus made it very kinetic. The interviews at the end were a nice touch, but the actual story points and what he did and how he interacted with others were all utterly predictable. He was clearly an incredibly brave man, a true hero, and the movie does justice to his story for sure, even if it paints over it all with a very thick Hollywood veneer.

The problem I had with it was the first 50 minutes or so before he went to war, which ranged from corny cliche crap to the typical army testosterone DRENCHING which is always so offputting in these movies and was no different here. Vince Vaughn wasn't funny, he was just a complete and utter dick to these guys. I get WHY he was doing it and why they think that's the right way to go about it, but it isn't something I enjoy or think appropriate.

Andrew did a good job obviously, even if he did come across as being a little bit DIM at the start. He looked the part (despite the never ending supply of hair product on the front line being quite unrealistic) and he definitely deserves the nomination. Mel Gibson probably does too, but I still feel deeply uncomfortable that he's being allowed back into the fold given his past.

Overall 5/10, the war bits were better than I expected, the non-war bits worse. I didn't really enjoy it, I didn't hate it but I'd never want to watch it again.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:22 AM