BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shoulda been a single!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Jan 26 2015, 06:21 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Bandwagoning, I know, but this has worked quite nicely in other AFs so I thought it was worth posting here too!

Which Madonna album tracks would you have liked to have been released as singles? What would your choices replace? When would you have released them (first, second, etc.)?

One track I've really been getting into recently is 'Love Tried to Welcome Me' from Bedtime Stories.

It's such a heart-breaking track, even down to the word "tried" in the title, and I think this should be acknowledged among Madonna's other great ballads/down-tempos, most of which are singles. Personally, I'd have replaced 'Bedtime Story' for this. I've started to appreciate the latter more but it sounds better as an album track rather than a single. 'Love Tried...' would have followed up nicely to 'Take a Bow' too, although 3 down-tempo tracks in a row may have been a bit too much, so maybe being 4th single would have been better.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Jan 27 2015, 12:15 AM
Post #2
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

On the Like A Virgin era the only thing I would change is releasing "Over and Over" or "Pretender" instead of Angel.

The True Blue era was again perfect, but it would have been nice for Where's The Party to have a music video.

Like A Prayer = Instead of "Dear Jessie" which I do like, but find it kinda safe, release "Til Death Do Us Part" and give "Keep It Together" a UK release as the 5th single.

Erotica = Instead of Bad Girl or Fever, Where Life Begins would have been a much better choice.

Music = Could have easily squeezed out a 4th single and that could have been either Madonna's choice "Impressive Instant" or even "Runaway Lover", both fantastic choices.

American Life = Instead of the dire Love Profusion, Nothing Fails would have been miles better along with a music video. Instead of the tampon commercial LP got.

Hard Candy = Instead of Miles Away, "Heartbeat" could have been the 3rd single and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You could have been 4th.

MDNA = Firstly would have had "I'm Addicted" as the first single, then "Gang Bang" as the 2nd, "Masterpiece" as the 3rd and "I Don't Give A" as the 4th single

+Quote Post
...ready for it
post Jan 27 2015, 04:42 AM
Post #3
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 1,454

She has had so many good singles. wub.gif I would have wanted these.

Beautiful Killer (this is too good to be a deluxe track only)
Let It Will Be
Where Life Begins
Dance 2Night
Where's The Party

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Feb 3 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Acidburn @ Jan 27 2015, 12:15 AM) *
Music = Could have easily squeezed out a 4th single and that could have been either Madonna's choice "Impressive Instant" or even "Runaway Lover", both fantastic choices.

American Life = Instead of the dire Love Profusion, Nothing Fails would have been miles better along with a music video. Instead of the tampon commercial LP got.

MDNA = Firstly would have had "I'm Addicted" as the first single, then "Gang Bang" as the 2nd, "Masterpiece" as the 3rd and "I Don't Give A" as the 4th single

I'm not too bothered about 'Impressive Instant' not being a single personally, however it does seem odd not to have released it considering how obvious it was that people wanted it to be a single. My understanding is that there were disagreements between Madonna and the record company but I'm not too sure what this was exactly.

Similarly, it seems bizarre that 'Nothing Fails' wasn't a single worldwide. I'm probably alone in loving 'Love Profusion' but even I can see that it was a mistake releasing that in the UK over 'Nothing Fails'.

I agree with those single choices for MDNA, although I'd probably have had 'Masterpiece' released as a single in December 2011 to coincide with W.E. and then stick it on the album a la 'Die Another Day'.

QUOTE(piano* @ Jan 27 2015, 04:42 AM) *
Beautiful Killer (this is too good to be a deluxe track only)

I probably wouldn't have chosen this as a single but you're so right that it shouldn't have just been a deluxe track, particularly when you look at the other songs that were deluxe-only.

+Quote Post
MrIndependent
post Feb 3 2015, 09:47 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 9,520
   No Gallery Pics

I think Impressive Instant not being a single is one of the biggest missed opportunities of Madonna's entire career. What happened was her record label thought that the track was too risky, perhaps they thought it was a bit left-field -- I don't know -- and they wanted to release Amazing instead. Madonna thought that the track was too similar to Beautiful Stranger (she wasn't wrong), and the record label were going to take a live performance of Amazing from Drowned World 2001 and promote it as a music video without Madonna's consent. To prevent this from happening, she removed it from the setlist, which I find totally hilarious.

Anyway, there aren't any album tracks from her first four albums that I'd want as singles.

Erotica: Why's It So Hard?; Thief of Hearts which would have had a kick-ass video.

Bedtime Stories: possibly Sanctuary.

Ray of Light: Sky Fits Heaven. It's criminal that this wasn't released.

Music: see above.

American Life: Nothing Fails however this was released as a single in some countries, but I'd have liked a video.

Confessions on a Dance Floor: Forbidden Love.

Nothing in particular from Hard Candy.

MDNA: I Don't Give a instead of Gimme All Your Luvin', one of her weakest single releases, and Gang Bang for a video.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Feb 3 2015, 10:30 PM
Post #6
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

I think 'Impressive Instant' was perhaps too risky for her. Not in terms of the content obviously (she's done much more risky), but its sound. Let's be honest, as incredible as the song is, she is totally bat-shit crazy in it and not really the image that the rest of the album and its singles conveyed. 'Runaway Lover' might have been the safer choice.

The big ones for me are 'Devil Wouldn't Recognise You' just because it's my favourite album track and not even considering if it would have been successful and 'Forbidden Love' off 'Confessions' which would have continued on from the three singles wonderfully.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Feb 8 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol

I think the single choices from Ray of Light and Confessions were perfect and I'm not sure if there would be room for more singles. 'Sky Fits Heaven' would be my choice too if I had to pick something though. I'm not sure about 'Forbidden Love' as a single; I think it works just fine as a really good album track.

QUOTE(MrIndependent @ Feb 3 2015, 09:47 PM) *
I think Impressive Instant not being a single is one of the biggest missed opportunities of Madonna's entire career. What happened was her record label thought that the track was too risky, perhaps they thought it was a bit left-field -- I don't know -- and they wanted to release Amazing instead. Madonna thought that the track was too similar to Beautiful Stranger (she wasn't wrong), and the record label were going to take a live performance of Amazing from Drowned World 2001 and promote it as a music video without Madonna's consent. To prevent this from happening, she removed it from the setlist, which I find totally hilarious.

Thanks for this, quite interesting to know! I agree with Madonna that 'Amazing' sounds similar to 'Beautiful Stranger' (a much weaker version mind, it's probably my least favourite from Music) and good on her for sticking to her guns!

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 10 2015, 08:48 AM
Post #8
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
Member No.: 67

I just wanna say, 'Gang Bang' should have been the lead single from 'Hard Candy', with 'Masterpiece' being the second single and 'Girl Gone Wild' as the third and final. 'I Don't Give A' for fourth if we must.

Those are the only saving graces for that album. And 'Gang Bang' is really the only track I go back to on that album... It's only 10/10 moment.

+Quote Post
jark
post Feb 10 2015, 10:30 AM
Post #9
something you consider rare
Member No.: 2,990

Madonna has a lot of these.

Over and Over
Thief of Hearts
Skin
Sky Fits Heaven
Impressive Instant
Nobody Knows Me
Beat Goes On
Dance 2night
I Don't Give A
Love Spent
Rebel Heart*
Unapologetic Bitch*

*because you know it'll happen.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Feb 10 2015, 07:43 PM
Post #10
Break the tension
Member No.: 51

The real big one for me is 'Sky Fits Heaven' on Ray Of Light, instead of 'Drowned World'.

'Impressive Instant' is by far and away the best thing on the Music album, pretty wacky but they should have taken a chance with it as a single. At that point she could've got top 10 with anything.

'Devil...' could've been the 4th single from Hard Candy, but the era was dead at that point anyway.

I would say 'I'm Addicted' and 'Gang Bang' deserved single status from MDNA, but that era was doomed and I'd rather not have those tainted with the "flop single" tag.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Mar 5 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #11
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

Paradise (Not for Me)
Sky Fits Heaven
Skin

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Mar 6 2016, 01:08 AM
Post #12
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

Just looking through the index and thought that I'd give an updated opinion on some of Madonna's past stuff.

Physical Attraction (Madonna)

I've always liked this one, and the 5 singles from it were perfect already and this wouldn't have done much, but I honestly find this better than "Everybody"

Where's The Party (True Blue/You Can Dance)

Definitely my fave non-single from the amazing "True Blue" album. But maybe in it's remixed form on the "You Can Dance" remix album, there could have been some potential in there somewhere.

Spotlight (You Can Dance)

The only new song on that amazing remix album, this definitely would have been another big hit for her.

Til' Death Do Us Part (Like A Prayer)

Now this was screaming for a single treatment, would have been much better than "Dear Jessie" or "Keep It Together".

Thief Of Hearts/Why It's So Hard (Erotica)

Either one of these could have helped her during the backlash, she was receiving at the time, both are incredible productions and are just brilliant. Either deserved a single treatment instead of "Bye Bye Baby" or even "Bad Girl".

Don't Stop (Bedtime Stories)

This was the label's original choice for the 4th single, but Madonna pushed for "Human Nature" instead, but I do like them both and this could have made for a decent 5th single from that album.

Love Tried To Welcome Me (Bedtime Stories)

Another stellar production, with Madonna's beautiful subdued vocals on this, which sounds classy and really sums up the album really well.

Sky Fits Heaven (Ray Of Light)

Everything about this era was just perfect, the 5 singles that were picked were superb, but I do think that this also had some great potential as well.

Runaway Lover (Music)

I have already said about "Impressive Instant" and even that was Madonna's own choice, but the label rejected it in favour of "Amazing", but come on why wasn't this even considered, a definite stand out on the album and would have been a great way to end the era.

Forbidden Love (Confessions On A Dancefloor)

Again the singles run from this era was perfect, but this also had some great potential, especially with a brilliant music video to go with it, if not for a single release, then maybe as a promo at least.

Heartbeat (Hard Candy)

This should have been the 3rd single, it would have showcased the album more to the general public, and then maybe have "Miles Away" pushed as the 4th and final release.

MDNA Era

The singles run for this was totally wrong and should have went like this =

I'm Addicted
This would have given people a better indication of what to expect from the album, instead of that dire "GMAYL"

Gang Bang
Something controversial, to get everybody talking about it, especially with a kick-ass music video that would have probably got banned, and really get the public interested.

Masterpiece
I know this was actually released, but with a lot more push and give it a music video and plus it would have showed another side to the album.

I Don't Give A (Ft Nicki Minaj)
Not one of the best from the album I know, but obviously with 2 tracks that have guest stars on them, if one had to be released, then I think that this was the better one and would have been an interesting end to this era.

Devil Pray (Rebel Heart)
Now this is just screaming for a release, I know it won't make any difference, but it's still an amazing standout on the album.

Iconic (Rebel Heart)
This would have been a better choice than "Bitch I'm Madonna", which was awful, I mean if she was gonna go with a collaboration as the 3rd single, then I think this would have been the much better choice.

Joan Of Arc (Rebel Heart)
Either this or "DP" for a 4th possible release from the album, I would have had either one of these 2 follow this run of singles = "Living For Love", "Ghosttown", "Iconic".

+Quote Post
Hypodermic Sally
post Mar 6 2016, 02:14 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,622
   No Gallery Pics

only really listened to Rebel Heart so Joan of Arc and Devil Pray feel like hits that got away

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Mar 6 2016, 02:03 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Idol

Totally agree with those single choices for MDNA! Personally, I'd have pushed 'Masterpiece' as a single in late 2011, have 'I'm Addicted' as the lead single in the New Year, followed by 'Gang Bang' shortly after the album release (this should have been a promo single with a killer, controversial video at the very least), then 'I Don't Give A' in the summer. Would have represented the very best moments the album had to offer opposed to the worst.

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Feb 8 2015, 07:29 PM) *
I think the single choices from Ray of Light and Confessions were perfect and I'm not sure if there would be room for more singles. 'Sky Fits Heaven' would be my choice too if I had to pick something though. I'm not sure about 'Forbidden Love' as a single; I think it works just fine as a really good album track.

Well my opinion has totally changed since! laugh.gif 'Forbidden Love' would have showcased a bit more variety; prove that there was more to the album than just fantastic club-friendly hits.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Mar 6 2016, 03:05 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Madonna and her team until the last 3 albums have been so good when selecting singles.

Till Death Do Us Part - this would have made an amazing single ! The video would have been immense !!

Bad Girl and Bye Bye Baby are not worthy to be singles. Why's it so hard I would have considered.

Impressive Instant would have made an interesting single because it is so different but I can see why the record label wanted Amazing , it is so catchy !!!!

Hard Candy
1. 4 minutes
2. Give It 2 Me
3. Devil Wouldn't Recognise You
4. The Beat Goes On

MDNA
1. Masterpiece (with video and promo)
2. Gang Bang full single
3. I'm Addicted
4. Love Spent

Rebel Heart
1. Devil Pray
2. Ghosttown / Joan Of Arc
3. Wash All Over Me (Avicii Dance Version)
4. Living For Love

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 6 2016, 03:28 PM
Post #16
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

I don't think launching MDNA with a ballad would have been a good choice, it's mainly uptempo. Some thing like I'm Addicted or Love Spent maybe.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Mar 6 2016, 04:26 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I meant masterpiece to be released at the time of the movie. So months before (I should have made this clear).

Love spent is hardly uptempo .

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Mar 6 2016, 04:36 PM
Post #18
Break the tension
Member No.: 51

'I'm Addicted' would have been awesome.

I think with Hard Candy they got the singles pretty spot on, considering how utterly heinous the actual album itself is. 'Devil...' for me is the only other good song on it aside from the 3 singles.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 6 2016, 04:40 PM
Post #19
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

Love Spent is kinda mid to uptempo laugh.gif it might have worked well.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Mar 6 2016, 04:54 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Love spent is my fav song off the album .

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:38 AM