BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who • The Power of the Doctor, October 23 | End of an era - spoilers inside
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
T Boy
post 23rd October 2022, 08:08 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

Still not completely sold on that regeneration but I’m hardly going to complain about more Tennant Doctor, especially with Donna coming back too. Does feel like they just couldn’t wait to shake this era off and I could hardly blame them to be fair. Tegan and Ace were the best parts of the episode as well as seeing the other Doctors/companions.

Can’t believe they brought back Mel even for one scene and she didn’t scream once.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 23rd October 2022, 08:09 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

I loved it, cheer.gif very enjoyable, very fast paced, just one niggling bit, The Bullet Train that didn't really work for me, the ending errr.... but really David Tennant ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Anyhow, I loved seeing some of the old Dr Who appearances (Peter Davison, Tom Baker, Paul McGann etc etc), and the old companions at the end, that are still around.

+Quote this post
Jester
post 23rd October 2022, 08:10 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

I enjoyed that - which is something I haven’t said about Dr Who for quite a while.

What?! At Tennant though!!!

Also, good to see Bristol’s Museum and Art Galleries cafe kink.gif

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 23rd October 2022, 08:16 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

Actually I don't really mind David Tennant, he was one of the best Doctors from the Christopher Eccleston era and beyond, I did hear rumours about him coming back to the series. That will do nicely for me.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 23rd October 2022, 08:17 PM
Post #25
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

That was SO GOOD!!! I'll say more later as I'm still processing but WELL DONE CHIBS

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 23rd October 2022, 08:24 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll

QUOTE(Mart!n @ Oct 23 2022, 09:16 PM) *
Actually I don't really mind David Tennant, he was one of the best Doctors from the Christopher Eccleston era and beyond, I did hear rumours about him coming back to the series. That will do nicely for me.

I honestly don’t think anyone would complain about more David Tennant, we just don’t know enough about what will happen. I hope we get a decent explanation and it doesn’t set a precedent for Doctors to keep popping back all the time.

I do think it’s been done because the show has sunk so low this is one of the only things that will bring viewers back. I do think after this the show needs to move on from David Tennant.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 23rd October 2022, 08:31 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Jester @ Oct 23 2022, 09:10 PM) *
I enjoyed that - which is something I haven’t said about Dr Who for quite a while.

What?! At Tennant though!!!

Also, good to see Bristol’s Museum and Art Galleries cafe kink.gif

And Durdle Door laugh.gif

It was a bit of a mess at the start but got better as it went on. Ian Chesterton is going back a bit!

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 23rd October 2022, 08:38 PM
Post #28
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/...urteenth-doctor

RTD has confirmed that Tennant is the 14th Doctor, while Ncuti is the 15th.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 23rd October 2022, 08:46 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll

QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Oct 23 2022, 09:38 PM) *
https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/...urteenth-doctor

RTD has confirmed that Tennant is the 14th Doctor, while Ncuti is the 15th.

You see, it’s this kind of thing I’m just not quite on board with.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 23rd October 2022, 08:48 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,585

I can only think the regeneration is to do with the "de-generation" that happened to bring Jodie back and its gone into overdrive

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 23rd October 2022, 08:50 PM
Post #31
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

I actually jumped up seeing just David Bradley as the First Doctor, nevermind all the others. My heart is so full heart.gif A brilliant way to bring them back, especially the scenes with Tegan and Ace. Loved the cameos at the end too!

I mean the episode as a whole was certainly a ride! I was expecting an absolute mess but I think it was more polished than I expected. Tegan and Ace were the biggest standouts but I also love Sacha as the Master too. I did also get very emotional with the Doctor/Yaz scenes at the end. Both were really fantastic and I feel Jodie & Mandip’s own sadness about leaving really came through.

My biggest gripes are just my main issues with this era as a whole. The companions are just given no agency and are so reliant on the Doctor. This was Yaz’s biggest moment to shine and she still hardly said anything and is reliant on the Doctor AI. The writing is just so frustrating because Mandip is giving the limited role her absolute all. I don’t understand why Yaz is the best person the Doctor has met but won’t let her stay with her for the regeneration! And then Dan just given the most briefest exits of all time, swept under the carpet laugh.gif

Another gripe is just how so many ideas with lots of potential are raised throughout the era and then are just never explored. I can’t believe Fugitive returned again for just another 30 second. Especially rubbing it in this time going, “that’s me done then x” I know the intention of the Timeless Child was to add more mystery but I don’t understand the point of introducing it and then hardly doing anything with it after it’s been revealed. It just renders those episodes as more shock value then an actual narrative arc.

My third and final main gripe of this era is the Doctor being used as an exposition machine. Show us, then don’t tell us.

Interestingly, I feel all those are the three elements that RTD excels so very much looking forward to what’s next. Don’t know how I feel about David being 10th and 14th Doctor but I’m very much here for the ride. Just can’t believe its so long to wait rtd.png

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 23rd October 2022, 08:52 PM
Post #32
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

It was an entertaining episode and finale for Jodie's Doctor, but I'm sure glad to see the end of this era. I'm not sure how I feel about Tennant being an official 14th Doctor but let's see how it pans out next year in the three specials. Three episodes of Tennant and Tate will be enjoyable at least!

+Quote this post
Mark.
post 23rd October 2022, 08:58 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,928

Loved it, Tegan and Ace shone in this episode, and i loved how they incorporated the other Doctors and it was nice Tegan and Ace reunited in scenes with their own Doctors too.
And the "companions anonymous" bit at the end was a nice surprise i heard a rumour Bonnie Langford was doing a cameo but didn't know it was in this episode.
So good to have some surprises that were not spoiled in the trailers.
Of course Katy Manning has returned before in the Sarah Jane Adventures so it was nice to her again.
And 97 year old (98 next month) William Russell back as Ian Chesterton how brilliant!

I hear David Tennant is back for three episodes next year with Ncuti appearing in this year's Christmas Special.
Be interesting how they do that probably in some sort of "waiting zone"

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 23rd October 2022, 09:02 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

They had to go back to Tennant to save the show! Chibnall and Jodie destroyed it.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 23rd October 2022, 09:37 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 23 2022, 09:31 PM) *
And Durdle Door laugh.gif

It was a bit of a mess at the start but got better as it went on. Ian Chesterton is going back a bit!

William Russell (who played Ian Chesterton) is 97.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 23rd October 2022, 11:34 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Not only did I find that a complete mess but also boring too, albeit with some highlights.

Jodie was fine but the story was poor, The Master stepped over the line in to caricature and there were far too many plot contrivances and loose ideas that went nowhere.

Nice to see the old Doctors, Jo and Chesterton but I felt Ace and Tegan fell flat and hadn't developed as characters at all in the 35-40 years since they last appeared. And if your highlights are characters from over 30 years ago you have a problem.

Yaz continues to be a personality vacuum and the least interesting long term companion ever. Yet again Graham turned out to be a highlight because Chibnall seems unable to write for female characters in this show and Dan basically got written out with brutal casualness.

Tennant as 14? Good actor, who will play it well , seemingly as a re-run of 10, but what a crap idea. With RTD back I genuinely feel there's a grim future ahead, at least creatively. The show needs exciting new talent, fresh ideas, and quality scripts and stories, and I just don't think he can really bring that right now even if his casting of 15 has potential.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 23rd October 2022, 11:51 PM
Post #37
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I was all ready to rage at the botched regeneration of Jodie turning into Tennant as some gimmicky shock that'll be resolved in the next special, but given he's officially the fourteenth doctor and we have a new showrunner, I'll give it some time to see if it works. I obviously absolutely love the prospect of Tennant and RTD reunited, it's what made this my favourite show, but I do want some new ideas and not them relying on fan service to save the show. We'll wait and see I suppose but for what it's worth, it was really nice, and fitting for her character, to have a peaceful regeneration scene before the shock kicked in.

As for the episode as a whole, I had low expectations and while it did meet them in some ways, it wasn't without its bright moments. The callbacks to the old Doctors and Teagan and Ace were really inspired and not something I was expecting, I haven't got into the classic series yet so they were new to me, but I found it really interesting seeing what happens to companions after the Doctor and the psychological effects. I kinda wish more time could've been spent on it, but then there were about a hundred things going on x a great performance from the Master too, he's been a good one, and I like the idea of a fugitive Dalek rebelling as they have bowed to someone else.

It still suffered from the usual Chibnall problems though, I agree that the AI felt like a complete deus ex machina (I thought it only worked inside the TARDIS, it was just travelling everywhere now?) and ruined the chances of the companions doing something for themselves (even Yaz's goodbye felt half-arsed like she was already done with the show) and well there was just so many things that didn't make sense....like where the hell did Graham come from,it's like he was just passing by a burning volcano, how did he even know about all this?! laugh.gif Kate was pretty nonchalant about all of her crew dying in that exploding building and a bit of a throwaway send off for a character as fearsome as the Lone Cyberman. I didn't even attempt to understand how that conclusion worked, it was meaningless babble even by usual standards and what the hell was that energy child-vortex thing about?! It was a child, then it wasn't WHAT?!

But even with those gripes, I'd still rank it amongst the better ones he's done...and with that, HE'S GONE AT LAST, can't wait to actually look forward to this show again cheer.gif yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th October 2022, 12:29 AM
Post #38
Group icon

I've barely stopped thinking about the episode since it aired which is already a MAJOR plus compared to Legend of the Sea Devils, which had untangled in my mind within an hour of watching it and then I just felt disappointed. The buzz from this is still in me and I'm already craving a rewatch - that's hardly happened over the Chibnall era so it speaks volumes over what I think of this episode.

Everyone involved gave really solid performances. I've always loved Jodie in the role and tonight was no different (it's the writing + characterisation from the powers that be that stop 13 being a top tier Doctor IMO, not Jodie), and she had such a beautiful, fitting exit. The final scene with her and Yaz on top of the TARDIS was fantastic and you could really feel Jodie and Mandip's emotion through their characters. I think this was possibly Yaz's best episode yet; companions have been one of my biggest criticisms of the Chibnall era (and that remains in this ep, more in a bit) but I liked that Yaz took more of an independent role, really shining in her scenes with the Master.

Speaking of, I really love Sacha Dhawan's Master, and the Boney M. scene had me CREASED, that felt like a RTD moment! laugh.gif Somehow, the Master, the Daleks and the Cybermen all featuring in the same episode didn't feel crammed or rushed, the pacing was excellent (unlike in Sea Devils) and though I wouldn't have complained at even more development on certain plot strands, most things had enough breathing space and my exhaustion at the end of the episode came from the exhilaration rather than feeling like I'd sprinted for 45 minutes through a barely coherent plot.

The returning cast!! Firstly, Tegan and Ace were among the *very* best parts of the episode. Both felt true to what I know their characters (I've seen a handful of their episodes each) and it was brilliant to finally see some more classic companions in New Who. Their scenes with the 5th and 7th Doctors respectively were my personal highlights of the episode, so heartwarming and it felt really authentic between the actors too. Seeing the classic Doctors was one blindside after another, what a delight! And the companions support group at the end was inspired. Ian! Jo! Mel! I couldn't contain myself.

Of course, it wasn't perfect, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Many of the criticisms I have are criticisms of the Chibnall era as a whole, so they don't affect my individual thoughts on the episode. Dan's exit summed up the approach to companions entirely - the question "what was the point?" sprang to mind. John Bishop sold the hell out of a role that ultimately added very little, a shame that he got written out so early. I liked Graham's presence as random as it felt (I guess he and Ryan were going to investigate alien stuff after they left so Graham must have caught wind of the Daleks somehow but it's obviously not explained). The main thing is the Timeless Child - I was expecting the fob watch and the Doctor's past to play a HUGE part in this episode but it was barely even mentioned!!!! I suppose it's there if anyone wants to explore it in the future but Chibs really blew up canon and then f***ed off laugh.gif I still have no issues with the revelations themselves but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Overall, one of my favourite Chibs episodes for sure in what's been an era of extreme variations in quality. There are all-time classics (Village of the Angels, War of the Sontarans, Rosa), all-time lows (Sea Devils, Orphan 55, the pregnant man in Tsuranga!!!!) and some true mediocrity (Ghost Monument, Praxeus), but there's been plenty to enjoy even if it's miles behind the RTD and Moffat eras. As for the future, I had suspected Whittaker would regenerate into Tennant though I suspected it'd be a regression to 10 rather than counting as 14! Not that it matters really, I'm so excited for what RTD will bring to the table, and I have complete trust that he'll be able to execute it much better than Chibs ever could through his top tier characterisation.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th October 2022, 12:38 AM
Post #39
Group icon

A rough rank of the Jodie/Chibs era because why not x

1 Village of the Angels
2 The Power of the Doctor (okay recency but as things stand I see this going up rather than down!)
3 Fugitive of the Judoon
4 War of the Sontarans
5 The Haunting of Villa Diodati
6 Rosa
7 Eve of the Daleks
8 Revolution of the Daleks
9 Ascension of the Cybermen / The Timeless Children
10 Resolution (honestly take out that café scene with Ryan and his dad and it'd be higher lol)

11 Spyfall
12 The Halloween Apocalypse
13 Demons of the Punjab
14 Kerblam!
15 It Takes You Away
16 The Woman Who Fell to Earth
17 The Witchfinders
18 Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror
19 Once, Upon Time
20 Survivors of the Flux

21 The Vanquishers
22 Can You Hear Me?
23 The Ghost Monument
24 The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
25 Arachnids in the UK
26 Praxeus
27 The Tsuranga Conundrum
28 Oprhan 55
29 Legend of the Sea Devils

Honestly the top ~half there is really solid to be fair, the bottom 6 really aren't great though which is a higher proportion than I'd suggest for the other modern Doctors.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 24th October 2022, 08:18 AM
Post #40
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Decided to watch this instead of sleeping when I should have. Tired, but that was probably the best episode ever, even if some of the acting from Ace was from the Tracey Beaker School of Acting. "Hid some stuff hwre, oh my! Hope you don't mInD!"

You could see RTD's hand already, with the Boney M scene, the Daleks and Cybermen looking at each other as he danced, and how Tennant reacted. Wish she had come back as Matt Smith, the better Doctor, bur he's too busy being a Targaryean! And they can get Doctor Donna back, but Amy Pond?! Impossible.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 06:33 AM