BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2017: #12, …i might // + write-up + 11 new track links! - NOW UP
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Mar 21 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
After a turbulent week in which the top 3 all threatened the top spot, this week’s #1 position goes, somewhat unexpectedly to last week’s #10, Calvin Harris’s disco&B Slide featuring Frank Ocean. It’s a track that I – and others – have been mixed on, but it strongly grew on me over the last couple of weeks after I got over it being such an unexpected direction. Coldsmokers and Derulo-Minaj complete the top 3 this week; Swalla’s third week running up there. Lana’s Love and Bebe’s FFF reach new peaks within the top 5 this week too. For another week running, there’s little change in the top 10; Coldsmokers, from #15, and Bastille, from last week’s #11, are the only new additions, knocking out Amy Lee and Scared to Be Lonely.

Nicki Minaj’s No Frauds is this week’s highest new entry, debuting just outside the top 10. Other new entries this week come from ex-Pussycat Doll J Sutta, another from Cold War Kids just as their last entry drops out, The XX, Dreezy, Elle King, Maggie Rogers, Little Dragon, Tove Lo, Charli XCX and everyone’s favourite, Steps. I’ll admit to listening to a fair bit of their back catalogue recently since they announced the comeback, too. It holds up pretty well, better than I remembered.

The top 40 list up to the third week of Mar. 2017 then goes just like this:

01 Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos - Slide [20-10-1]
02 Jason Derulo ft. Nicki Minaj + Ty Dolla $ign - Swalla [34-3-2-2]
03 Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something Just Like This [34-15-3]
04 Lana Del Rey - Love [12-6-5-4]
05 Bebe Rexha ft. G-Eazy - FFF [33-7-8-5]
06 Flume ft. Beck - Tiny Cities [7-6]
07 Bastille - Send Them Off! [23-12-11-7]
08 Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm [35-8-2-1-1-8]
09 Bear's Den - Greenwoods Bethlehem [25-5-4-9-9]
10 Una Healy - Battlelines [29-20-5-4-10]
11 Nicki Minaj ft. Lil Wayne + Drake - No Frauds [N]
12 KATO & Sigala ft. Hailee Steinfeld - Show You Love [26-17-12]
13 Alina Baraz ft. Khalid - Electric [19-13]
14 J Sutta - Pushed Me [N]
15 Shaggy ft. OMI - Seasons [19-10-13-15]
16 The Weeknd - I Feel It Coming [36-16]
17 Amy Lee - Love Exists [20-14-9-6-17]
18 Cold War Kids - Can We Hang On ? [N]
19 Rainy Milo - Swimming On Me [25-19]
20 Gavin Turek - It's The Light [20-20]
21 Biffy Clyro - Flammable [18-16-21]
22 Busy P ft. Mayer Hawthorne - Genie [29-22-22]
23 Lorde - Green Light [37-23]
24 Dreezy - Wasted [N]
25 Paperwhite - Human Nature [33-25]
26 Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa - Scared to be Lonely [36-7-1-1-2-3-26]
27 Little Mix - Touch [18-17-14-27]
28 The XX - Dangerous [N]
29 Elle King - Wild Love [N]
30 Maggie Rogers - On and Off [N]
31 Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Wild Forever [14-7-6-8-12-31]
32 Ed Sheeran - Shape of You [21-23-26-32]
33 Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Longest Wave [29-33]
34 Alma x Branchez - Dye My Hair [28-34]
35 Little Dragon - High [N]
36 Texas - Let's Work It Out [28-16-21-18-36]
37 Steps - Scared of the Dark [N]
38 Charli XCX ft. M0 - Pull Up (3am) [N]
39 Tove Lo - Keep it Simple [N]
40 Jax Jones ft. RAYE - You Don't Know Me [36-25-23-40]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends - Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (2)
Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (2)
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos – Slide (~)

Spotify Link to my weekly A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Mar 23 2017, 10:34 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Mar 21 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Calvin Harris surprisingly takes the crown this week against weak competition. ‘Slide’ sees Frank Ocean and Migos hit their first chart toppers, although the former’s previous tracks ‘Thinkin Bout You’, ‘Lost’, ‘Novacane’, ‘Swim Good’ and ‘Super Rich Kids’ have all come close. Harris’s last chart topper? ‘Pray to God’ with HAIM from 2014, although again, other tracks have come close since.

Lorde, The Weeknd’s I Feel It Coming, Coldsmokers and Paperwhite see the biggest surges this week, while the biggest drops go to Scared to be Lonely and Jax Jones’ You Don’t Know Me, despite the adorable new video release featuring a sassy bespectacled little girl. The two are also debut hits for their main artists, although now that I like them, a revisit to the back catalogue might be in order.

I should probably take the time here to plug my end of year chart in the countdowns forum which will be coming to a close shortly, just a top 10 to go. Feel free to have a look if you’re interested.

Back to this week, and I have new entries to link and plug:

Nicki returns with her first solo single since The Night Is Still Young, back in 2015, and her first pure rap solo since Truffle Butter with Lil Wayne and Drake. The gang’s all back together on No Frauds, with Drake having had a popularity surge in the intervening time, this was guaranteed to be a US hit on name brand alone. I’m a big Nicki fan and of the triad (Minaj à trois?) she released last week, this is by far my favourite right now. With Swalla at #2, Nicki lands a double appearance this week. This is pretty certain to move up in next week’s chart too.

J Sutta charts her second track, following Distortion, and first this year. Both tracks are from parent album I Say Yes, her debut, released a few months ago. The former Doll’s seen some success on the US Dance charts with several of her tracks hitting #1 there. The album’s a mixed bag, but this one’s definitely a highlight and very modern, I’d call it a good shout for next single, if she gets one.

Cold War Kids are having a good 2017! When I charted their first hit this year, I vaguely recalled them as an emo-ish group on about the level of MCR or Bullet for my Valentine, but nope… actually, they’re much less successful in general. They’ve really been bringing it with this era though. The album so far reminds me a lot of Paramore’s slightly poppier reinvention in 2013, or Train’s recent ones – taking elements of their old sound and modernising them. This sits somewhere between MCR and the Killers’ more recent, less frantic tracks, with maybel a slice of Bastille in there too. It’s pretty solid pop rock, which is welcome in an age where everything is increasingly acutely genre-specific.

Dreezy’s second run and most recent single that has surprisingly high youtube views and American commenters for a British female rapper. Still, this is the country that took to Estelle and Lady Sovereign. I’m a bit late to the Dreezy party, looking through some folks EOYs from 2016 I’ve seen her name crop up a few times, but I’m thinking I’m now here to stay biggrin.gif

As I’m not right now mad on Say Something Loving, this is, for me, effectively the XX’s second ‘single’ and follow-up to On Hold. It’s another upbeat, thumping, more dancefloor-ready track with nice layered vocal duetting and, just to complete the picture, horns. Because of course.

This is Elle King’s chart debut for me as I wasn’t hooked on Exs and Ohs, her previous claim to fame. Well, she probably had an album too… who knows. This is the first single promoting her upcoming 2017 album which she might hope makes her a bigger and more recognizable name, which I’d be happy to see for her. It’s a pretty good track, pop with a little pop-rock and country crossover influence, never say no to a bit of that when it’s done well.

Maggie Rogers also making her chart debut this week with On and Off. I had thought that this was a wee discovery of my own only to find she’s just after six or seven weeks of being playlisted on daytime Radio 1. Ah well. It’s pretty decent, indiegirl with a bit of an offbeat/glitchy beat line. I’ll be interested to see what she comes out with next as she must have major label support behind her.

Little Dragon now, a band I’ve been a big fan of for about five years (previous highlights include Twice, Ritual Union and Paris), and enjoyed seeing live a couple years back. The Swedish alt/electro group last appeared on Flume’s Take A Chance in last year’s chart, and generally have a really interesting pool of collaborators from the EDM and rap genres. They’re a long-going band, having been active for about 10-15 years now; High is the first cut from their upcoming-in-April fifth studio album Season High, their first release since 2014’s Nabuma Rubberband. Any fans of Goldfrapp or Gorillaz, they fish in a broadly similar pool, so you might enjoy.

Camp as Christmas, it’s the return of Steps. I don’t think I’m alone in eagerly anticipating the video. Claire especially is looking fab these days with that chic haircut and looks unrecognizable from her time in Big Brother. I’ve been enjoying re-listening to some of their ballads this month which actually hold up pretty well, as well as being a great fashion fail flashback source of amusement in the videos.

A fun duet from two ladies who are actually surprisingly similar; both in the music game quite a long time, both having reached for success multiple times across the last 5 years, and both only really very recently getting their breakthrough, buffed up by a feature on a popular hit. (Side note, only 3 or so years on, it seems crazy to think Iggy Azalea was once a ‘thing’.) It’s lifted from XCX’s new EP Number 1 Angel that just released recently, and is one of a lot of bangers on there. Some interesting producers there including Sophie, Danny L Harle and MDNR mean that it’s one worth going back through for sure.

Finally another album track from Tove Lo completes the line-up this week. I personally think this one’s a good shout for next single, it’s just rocky enough under the electro, and also pretty understated, could help her fish in the Kiesza/Veronicas pool, even muscle into Zara Larsson’s market. It’s also similar enough to her more popular first album’s singles.
And that’s the week! Please comment if you have thoughts! Comments make me smile! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Mar 23 2017, 10:33 AM

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Mar 23 2017, 05:02 PM
Post #3
Group icon
That's the week's commentary and links up now folks after a wee delay my end!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:59 AM