BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Music, A film by Sia | Out now on VOD
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
GraceAJX
post 24th December 2020, 03:22 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 104,406

Releasing digitally in the UK on 15th February, 2021, Sia's accompanying album out 12th February.

Watch UK trailer here.

This post has been edited by GraceAJX: 18th February 2021, 11:56 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
GraceAJX
post 10th January 2021, 02:52 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

DVD Release: March 1, 2021 | Digital Release: February 15, 2021

from Signature Entertainment

This post has been edited by ts7sfkptm: 10th January 2021, 02:54 PM

+Quote this post
GraceAJX
post 10th January 2021, 02:55 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

+Quote this post
GraceAJX
post 15th February 2021, 07:41 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Out today in the UK on VOD.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 15th February 2021, 09:35 PM
Post #5
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

So this is getting trashed then, I suppose the signs were there anyway!

I won't watch it myself (hopefully someone like Chris Stuckmann or Cynical Reviews tears it apart), I am glad people aren't giving the poor representations of Autism in films a pass anymore, in this day and age, there is no excuse to revert to stereotypes with how wider known it is, to make it authentic, it needs to be handled with real sensitivity and care.

+Quote this post
GraceAJX
post 15th February 2021, 11:27 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Feb 15 2021, 09:35 PM) *
So this is getting trashed then, I suppose the signs were there anyway!

I won't watch it myself (hopefully someone like Chris Stuckmann or Cynical Reviews tears it apart), I am glad people aren't giving the poor representations of Autism in films a pass anymore, in this day and age, there is no excuse to revert to stereotypes with how wider known it is, to make it authentic, it needs to be handled with real sensitivity and care.

How is it a 'stereotype'? The character is based on a real-life person - it is a spectrum after all.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 16th February 2021, 12:17 AM
Post #7
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Wouldn't watch it all.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 16th February 2021, 12:37 AM
Post #8
Group icon

QUOTE(GraceAJX @ Feb 15 2021, 11:27 PM) *
How is it a 'stereotype'? The character is based on a real-life person - it is a spectrum after all.

Well I meant that in a more general sense of Hollywood resorting to stereotypes, although based on the reviews I've read, apparently this film's presentation of it does indeed resort to that, or an over simplified view that isn't explored properly. I'm sure she had good intentions here, I'm not knocking them, but when portraying autism, you need real care and authenticity, and from what I can see, I don't think that's happened.

+Quote this post
GraceAJX
post 16th February 2021, 11:05 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Feb 16 2021, 12:37 AM) *
Well I meant that in a more general sense of Hollywood resorting to stereotypes, although based on the reviews I've read, apparently this film's presentation of it does indeed resort to that, or an over simplified view that isn't explored properly. I'm sure she had good intentions here, I'm not knocking them, but when portraying autism, you need real care and authenticity, and from what I can see, I don't think that's happened.

The character is based on a real life person (not a stereotype), who helped Maddie get the representation as accurate as possible. The Child Mind Institute also gave Maddie 100% for her portrayal.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 16th February 2021, 01:12 PM
Post #10
Group icon

But clearly something went wrong if almost all film critics and a lot of the autistic community are saying that it isn't a good representation. However well intentioned it was, I think it should've been an autistic actress cast.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 16th February 2021, 03:24 PM
Post #11
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

This thread is a very good explanation of the massive issues with this film and I strongly recommend reading it

I don't typically have an issue with an autistic character being played by a neurotypical actor. I think, with plenty of research and sensitivity, actors can play almost any role they wish. I think this film is an exception to the rule, though. With a character that has such distinctive and unusual stimming ("self-stimulating behaviors, usually involving repetitive movements or sounds" - part of the criteria for the diagnosis of autism), a neurotypical actress playing the role makes it insincere and slightly disturbing. The second tweet of the above thread has a video from the film which I personally find quite upsetting and disturbing - Maddie doesn't stim like that, it's exaggerated and turned into a caricature because that's what the filmmakers think autism is. It's not even remotely representative of the autistic community. There are autistic actors out there who should have been considered first and foremost for a non-verbal role. Maddie therefore feels like stunt casting for Sia's vanity project.

The restraint scenes are a new level of insensitive, though. I'm glad Sia's at least acknowledged that, but they shouldn't have happened in the first place. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that restraint techniques for autistic people is highly triggering and wrong, yet this is apparently her "love letter to the autistic community"? It's come across as anything but - the reviews are terrible and, most importantly, the autistic community is actually offended by the film. It's been called "damaging" and from what I've seen, I have to agree. The imagery, the casting, the attitude from Sia herself when questioned on it.

Representation of autistic people in the world of entertainment is something I'd really like to see more of. We don't see enough autistic characters in shows right now, even in the soap operas. However, this film is not the first step on the ladder. It's throwing everything back down to the ground after there's been some really positive representations in recent years. After some initial criticism, Netflix series Atypical has become a wonderful, realistic and accurate portrayal of an autistic teenager and his family (and he's played by a neurotypical actor, this is where we must look for notes to take on a sensitive and well-researched performance). Not to mention real life stories, such as Anne Hegerty from The Chase always being so open when questioned about her own experiences with autism (and importantly, someone who was diagnosed later in life). Her discussions on I'm a Celebrity warmed my heart and proved people with autism are not the caricature you see in the clips from this film.

+Quote this post
GraceAJX
post 16th February 2021, 06:58 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Feb 16 2021, 03:24 PM) *
This thread is a very good explanation of the massive issues with this film and I strongly recommend reading it

I don't typically have an issue with an autistic character being played by a neurotypical actor. I think, with plenty of research and sensitivity, actors can play almost any role they wish. I think this film is an exception to the rule, though. With a character that has such distinctive and unusual stimming ("self-stimulating behaviors, usually involving repetitive movements or sounds" - part of the criteria for the diagnosis of autism), a neurotypical actress playing the role makes it insincere and slightly disturbing. The second tweet of the above thread has a video from the film which I personally find quite upsetting and disturbing - Maddie doesn't stim like that, it's exaggerated and turned into a caricature because that's what the filmmakers think autism is. It's not even remotely representative of the autistic community. There are autistic actors out there who should have been considered first and foremost for a non-verbal role. Maddie therefore feels like stunt casting for Sia's vanity project.

While I do understand and hear what you're saying, the character is based on a real life person. Saying it's a stereotype when autism is a spectrum and no two autistic people are the same feels a bit off to me.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 16th February 2021, 09:28 PM
Post #13
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

QUOTE(GraceAJX @ Feb 16 2021, 06:58 PM) *
While I do understand and hear what you're saying, the character is based on a real life person. Saying it's a stereotype when autism is a spectrum and no two autistic people are the same feels a bit off to me.

Oh I'm very much aware of this! I'm a teaching assistant in a secondary school, I work alongside teenagers with special educational needs every single day, it's my job and I love it! I've been complimented by my boss for my work with our autistic students in particular (and I think it helps that I can very much relate to at least some of what they're experiencing). This year, I mainly work with four autistic students and honestly, all four of them couldn't be more different from each other.

I respect that Sia may have been inspired by a real life person to create this role / this film, and I firmly believe she had good intentions when beginning this project, but the execution is completely off in almost every way. If the character was based on a real person, who stims in similar ways to that, then they should have looked into casting an actual autistic actor - so many autistic actors have expressed their desire to take on a role like that. When it's something so physical like that, any neurotypical actor taking it on comes across as mimicking. It's a different disability but the character Ryan Stocks in Emmerdale has ataxic cerebral palsy, and this affects the way he walks and talks. Of course, Emmerdale have hired an actor (James Moore, who is excellent btw) with the same disability, so his movements and his speech are completely natural and not forced for even a second. He's not autistic, but the way Emmerdale have handled that is SO different to the way Music has handled something quite similar.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 11:24 AM