BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
31 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Official Chart Flashback
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
paulgilb
post 1st October 2020, 10:47 PM
Post #441
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 55

It had debuted at 35 the previous week on physical sales alone, common practice at the time for single releases during the handover in formats.

Incorrect - its entry at #35 was on the download sales of a re-mix, with its first week at #1 being full downloads, then the physical being released.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 15th October 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #442
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/o...sereje-__31235/

Three ladies, one catchy tune, global fame. Quite how Las Ketchup's The Ketchup Song (Asereje) became as successful as it did is a bit of a mystery, but who are we to judge?

The song - which hit Number 1 in the UK this week in 2002 - was an unstoppable force across Europe that summer. When Brits returned from sunning themselves abroad, they clearly weren't ready for the party to end; The Ketchup Song landed straight in at Number 1 with first week sales of 105,781. By its third week it had sold a quarter of a million copies.

It wasn't simply a case of the longstanding British tradition of embracing a novelty single either - The Ketchup Song hit Number 1 in a staggering 24 countries. It even reached Number 54 in America, impressive given its Euro-centric roots.

The three sisters Lucía, Lola, and Pilar Muñoz – formed in 2001 and named themselves Las Ketchup as a tribute to their father, a famous flamenco musician known as El Tomate, i.e The Tomato.

The song itself is about a man named Diego who enters a nightclub and hears his favourite song Rapper's Delight by the Sugarhill Gang. The chorus - "Aserejé, ja, de je, de jebe tu de jebere ..." is a gibberish imitation of the Rapper's Delight's "I said a hip-hop, the hippie the hippie to the hip hip hop ...".

After 18 weeks in the Top 40, The Ketchup Song finished as the UK's eighth bestselling single of 2002, and is one of only a few foreign-lanuage singles to reach Number 1 in the UK. Determined to keep the Ketchup train rolling, they slung some sleigh bells over the top and re-released it at Christmas, though it went largely unnoticed.

As of 2020, UK chart sales of The Ketchup Song stand at 692,000, 90% of which are physical and download sales. In the streaming era (since 2014), the track has been played 10.3 million times.

Elsewhere in the Top 40 that week in 2002, Las Ketchup held off competition from S Club Juniors, who landed their third consecutive Number 2 single with New Direction. Foo Fighters scored a Top 5 with All My Life at Number 5, and outside the Top 10 there were new entries from Richard Ashcroft's Check The Meaning, Coral's Dreaming Of You and Help Me by Backstreet Boys member Nick Carter.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 15th October 2020, 09:19 PM
Post #443
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

My favourite new entry from the above chart was 'Dreaming Of You' by The Coral which was a new entry at number 13.

This post has been edited by Robbie: 15th October 2020, 09:19 PM

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 12th November 2020, 08:30 AM
Post #444
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/o...-world-__31589/

Following her moody and introspective Rated R album, Rihanna opted for something more crowd-pleasing to lead her fifth studio record Loud. Only Girl (In The World) was an iron clad, balls-out banger that would set the tone for the next decade on how to deliver an instant smash.

Helmed by Stargate, who at this point had become reliable hitmakers for Rihanna (including Don't Stop The Music and Rude Boy), Only Girl is a blend of propulsive techno beats and heady Eurodance that felt like a natural evolution from her wildly successful Good Girl Gone Bad album. It's near-four minutes of pounding, relentless beats forced everyone to sit up and take notice, and its effect on the charts was huge.

Only Girl debuted at Number 2 on the Official Singles Chart (behind Cheryl's Promise This) with sales of 134,000. It climbed to Number 1 the following week to become her fourth chart-topper, spending two weeks there. One month later, it had sold one million copies in the UK - her second in a row to achieve the milestone following her Eminem collaboration Love The Way You Lie - and finished as 2010's fourth best-seller.

As of this week, Only Girl's UK chart sales stand at 1.53 million, split between 1.17 million pure sales and 42 million streams.

The track's global success (it reached Number 1 in 16 countries) set off a ripple effect in pop - particularly with US singers such as Usher, Flo Rida, Nicki Minaj and Chris Brown - who would turn their hand to similar electro dance-pop shortly after.

Elsewhere on the Official Singles Chart the week Only Girl hit Number 1, there were more electropop new entries and big climbers: US singer Alexis Jordan made her chart debut at Number 3 with Happniess, The Saturdays scored their eighth Top 10 with Higher at Number 10, and will.i.am & Nicki Minaj's quirky Check It Out landed at Number 11.

Further down, Shakespears Sister's 1992 chart-topper Stay was back in the Top 40 at Number 12 thanks to a haunting rendition by X Factor finalist Cher Lloyd, and Girls Aloud's Nadine Coyle was new at Number 26 with her debut single Insatiable. The singer took a unique approach to the single's release, with CD copies exclusively available in Tesco.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 12th November 2020, 08:41 AM
Post #445
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Iconic. Not one of my favourite Rihanna songs by any stretch but so hugely influential, not just on the industry and pop in general but in society. Nearly every woman I knew or saw anywhere dyed their hair that shade of red shortly after this! Loud was such a brilliant album, my personal favourite of hers - she was absolutely everywhere during that era, and deservedly so.

Promise This, Happiness, Higher and Insatiable were all excellent too, a great time for female pop, even if poor Nadine really flopped, that Tesco deal didn't help.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 12th November 2020, 09:22 AM
Post #446
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Nov 12 2020, 08:41 AM) *
Iconic. Not one of my favourite Rihanna songs by any stretch but so hugely influential, not just on the industry and pop in general but in society. Nearly every woman I knew or saw anywhere dyed their hair that shade of red shortly after this! Loud was such a brilliant album, my personal favourite of hers - she was absolutely everywhere during that era, and deservedly so.

This! I remember hearing 'Only Girl' for the first time and instantly loved it, but I never imagined it would be as huge as it was. All the girls at my school were dying their hair red and every non-school uniform day would see all the boys rocking a Rihanna-Loud T-shirt and chinos! laugh.gif

I remember thinking the era gave me an idea of what it must have been like living through the late-80s/early-90s Madonna era.

+Quote this post
chrissmith276
post 12th November 2020, 02:06 PM
Post #447
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 18,005

Assereje! This randomly came on the radio here in Turks and Caicos a few weeks ago - blast from the past but sounded good in the sunshine!

+Quote this post
paulgilb
post 12th November 2020, 11:34 PM
Post #448
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 55

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Nov 12 2020, 08:41 AM) *
Promise This, Happiness, Higher and Insatiable were all excellent too, a great time for female pop, even if poor Nadine really flopped, that Tesco deal didn't help.

The top 4 that week were all female soloists - unless I am mistaken that was the first time it had happened (and may still be the only time).

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 13th November 2020, 10:14 AM
Post #449
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Chart Analysis by Alan Jones:

Singles

With Rihanna’s Only Girl (In The World) moving 2-1 (134,540 sales) to secure her a number one hit for the fourth straight year (Umbrella in 2007, Take A Bow in 2008 and Run This Town in 2009), Cheryl Cole’s Promise This falling 1-2 (77,453 sales), Alexis Jordan’s Happiness debuting at number three (60,153 sales) and Katy Perry’s Firework improving 6-4 (58,353 sales), female solo stars occupy all of the top four places for the first time ever.

Remarkably, apart from Promise This, all were co-written and produced by StarGate, the New York based Norwegian duo of Tor Erik Hermansen and Mikkel Storleen Eriksen.

Girl groups aren’t doing badly either – the defunct Shakespears Sister’s 1992 chart-topper Stay jumps 64-12 (25,943 sales), still benefitting from The X Factor effect, while The Saturdays’ Flo Rida collaboration Higher – which has peaked at number 22 three times finally goes higher, jumping to number 10 (32,500 sales) to furnish the group’s eighth Top 10 entry.

There are also Top 40 debuts for Check It Out by will.i.am feat Nicki Minaj (number 11, 32,442 sales), One In A Million by Ne-Yo (number 20, 17,009 sales), Second Chance by Tinchy Stryder feat. Taio Cruz (number 22, 15,025 sales), Insatiable by Nadine Coyle (number 26, 11,391 sales), Take Control by Roll Deep feat. Alesha Dixon (number 29, 10,894 sales) and Janiroquai’s White Knuckle Ride (number 39, 8,323 sales).

Matt Cardle’s performance of Bleeding Love on The X Factor helped Leona Lewis’ original recording of the song to enjoy a 58.5% jump in sales week-on-week. The 1,117 copies it sold was enough for it to re-enter the chart at number 172 and, more importantly, to raise its career sales tally to 1,000,534. It’s the 103rd million selling single in the UK, and the 14th by a female solo star.

Overall singles sales, at 2,853,101, are down 1.58% week-on-week and 10.04% above same week 2009 sales of 2,592,851.

Albums

A week after spending the 15th week of her singles chart career at number two, Rihanna registers her 14th week at number one, as Only Girl (In The World) races ahead of Cheryl Cole’s Promise This – but spare your sympathy for Cole, as she has bigger fish to fry, debuting atop the album chart with second solo set, Messy Little Raindrops.

Leading a top three comprising entirely of new entries for only the second time this year, Messy Little Raindrops sold 105,431 copies last week to earn top billing, and arrives a year and a week after Cole’s debut solo album, 3 Words, made its debut at the summit on first week sales of 125,271. After reaching number 25 last week – a 24 week high – 3 Words now retreats to number 37.

It sold 5,710 copies last week, pushing its career tally to 896,045. Adding the first week sales of Messy Little Raindrops, Cole has now sold more than a million albums in Britain on her own, to add to the 3,847,949 albums that she has sold as a member of Girls Aloud.

Cole joined her fellow X Factor judges in giving a standing ovation to Bon Jovi after they performed on the ITV show eight days ago but the clash of release dates means that their new compilation Greatest Hits is – at least for the present – has to settle for a number two slot (87,145 sales).

In a sequence that goes back to 2001, it’s the band’s sixth number two from seven chart entries. The odd one out, This Left Feels Right, got to number four in 2003. Before their run of number twos, Bon Jovi put together a string of five straight number ones, including their previous ‘best of’ set Cross Roads – The Best Of. The band’s biggest selling album, it spent five weeks at number one, 15 weeks in the Top 10, and has thus far shifted 1,953,295 copies. Seven of the band’s songs re-enter the Top 200, led by Livin’ On A Prayer (number 42, 7,022 sales).

Rumer reached number 16 with debut hit Slow a couple of months ago, number 72 with follow-up Aretha last week and number 73 with Slow this week (3,026 sales) – but boosted by massive support from Radio Two and an appearance on Later With Jools Holland, her debut album Seasons Of My Soul races to a number three debut on sales of 66,452 copies. It’s the top sale for a number three album so far in 2010, beating the 55,192 sales that earned Alicia Keys’ The Element Of Freedom the bronze medal slot some 34 weeks ago.

The arrival of a new top trio scatters last week’s top three to the wind – after two weeks at the apex, Kings Of Leon’s Come Around Sundown falls to number four (48,571 sales), while Michael Buble’s Crazy Love dips 2-6 (34,684 sales) and Joe McElderry’s Wide Awake is performing like a nightmare rather than a dream, plummeting 3-20 (12,416 sales).

With debuts for Rod Stewart’s Fly Me To The Moon: American Songbook V at number five (38,456 sales), Jamiroquai’s Rock Dust Light Star at number seven (34,379 sales), Neil Diamonds’ Dreams at number eight (26,257 sales) and Peter Andre’s Accelerate at number 10 (21,090 sales), the artist album chart welcomes seven Top 10 debuts for only the second time in its history. It previously happened on 16 June 2007, when there were Top 10 debuts for Rihanna, Biffy Clyro, The Twang, Paul McCartney, Dizzee Rascal, Marilyn Manson and Mutya Buena.

Although a number seven debut is good enough for most acts, For Jamiroquai, it’s the end of a sequence of seven straight top three albums, dating back to 1993, perhaps surprisingly in view of the boost his appearance on The X Factor results show would have provided eight days ago. For 69 year old Neil Diamond, Dreams – primarily a covers set that includes his versions of 14 familiar oldies, including The Beatles’ Blackbird and Yesterday, The Eagles’ Desperado, Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah and his own I’m A Believer (a hit for The Monkees) – extends his album chart career to more than 39 years. For Peter Andre, it’s the second Top 10 album of the year, following Unconditional Love Songs (number seven in February).

Rod Stewart’s latest success, as its title suggests, is the latest in his ongoing series of covers albums celebrating traditional American songwriters. While its nine years since the writer of classic hits like Maggie May, Da Ya Think I’m Sexy and You Wear It Well penned a new song, the American Songbook series has proved a lucrative diversion – all five have reached the Top 10, generating total sales in excess of 2.4m.

With various catalogue reissues also doing well, compilations and two other covers sets – the R&B-themed Soulbook and Still The Same: Great Rock Classics Of Our Time - Stewart has racked up UK sales of 7,363,957 since 2000. In the same period, he has had nine Top 10 albums – equalling the highest tally for a solo star. Robbie Williams, Michael Jackson and Daniel O’Donnell have also had nine solo Top 10 albums in the survey period, although all three have had other Top 10 albums in group/duo releases, whereas Stewart hasn’t.

Outside the Top 10 there are debuts for Ne-Yo’s Libra Scale (number 11, 20,013 sales), Paul McCartney & Wings revamped Band On The Run (number 17, 14,599 sales), Elaine Paige & Friends eponymous album (number 18, 12,751 sales), rapper Devlin’s Bud, Sweat & Beers (number 21, 11,985 sales), Ultimate Pet Shop Boys (number 27, 8,886 sales), The Best Of Suede (number 32, 7,663 sales), Bryan Adams’ Bare Bones (number 35, 6,421 sales), Good Ol’ Fashioned Love by The Overtones (number 40, 5,371 sales) and Cardiology by Good Charlotte (number 63, 3,388 sales).

Overall album sales, at 2,272,390, are up 12.91% week-on-week at their highest level for 34 weeks, and trail same week 2009 sales of 2,272,622 by just 0.01021%.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 14th November 2020, 03:33 AM
Post #450
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Sales and the industry were so much better a decade ago than now ☹️

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 19th November 2020, 10:48 AM
Post #451
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

2003. Peak pop. Breaking the mould slightly were guitar-pop outfit Busted, a trio of part-wholesome, part-gross-out lads called Matt, Charlie, and James. They'd already scored four Top 3 hits, including chart-topper You Said No – a very relatable bop about rejection at the school disco – and were now back with yet another mildly anarchic radio-friendly hit, Crashed The Wedding. However…

Hoping to cause a scene and ruin their big day, however, was a big pop star on the comeback trail. Britney Spears had decided to kick off the campaign for her fourth album in a big way, by enlisting her pop idol Madonna as a guest star on Me Against The Music. The pair already had history – just over two months earlier, they'd locked lips on stage at the MTV VMAs, midway through a medley of Madonna hits.

Anyway, it was the plucky British lads against the slick American pop princesses, and it was a good day to be this side of the pond, as Busted managed to race ahead of Britney and Madonna and claim the Number 1 slot that week, beating them by a fairly conclusive 6,332 copies - 55,083 sales to Britney and Madge's 48,751.

Busted would go on to have two more Number 1s – Who's David and Thunderbirds – before they split up when Charlie wanted to leave. Crashed The Wedding has, to date, 361,000 chart sales, including 16 million streams since 2014. By comaprison, Britney's Me Against The Music has 189,000 chart sales, including 5.2 million streams.

Busted headed up a brilliant, very Noughties chart that week – descending, deposed Number 1 was Kylie's sultry single Slow, Outkast's Hey Ya was shake-shake-shaking it for the very first time, new at 6, and Missy Elliott scored her seventh Top 10 with Pass That Dutch.

Further down, nearly-Girl Aloud Javine was new at 15 with second single, the Diana Ross-sampling Surrender, and Basement Jaxx had teamed up with the then-not-quite-as-famous Dizzee Rascal on Lucky Star.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 19th November 2020, 12:10 PM
Post #452
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Sales information was thin on the ground back in 2003. This is from the weekly chart thread at Dotmusic:

Singles

(-) 1 55,083 Busted - Crashed The Wedding
(-) 2 48,751 Britney Spears ft. Madonna - Me Against The Music
(1) 4 22,000 Kylie Minogue - Slow
(-) 6 20,500 Outkast - Hey Ya
(-) 9 13,000 Ronan Keating - Lost For Words
(-) 27 4,700 Melanie C - Melt
(-) 68 800 Seal - Love's Divine

Albums

1 (3) Life For Rent - Dido 83,604 (sales figure from BuzzJack archive)
3 (NE) Try This - Pink 61,500
5 (NE) Ladies Night - Atomic Kitten 49,000
35 (NE) The Greatest Hits - Lulu 13,000
60 (NE) State Of Mind - Holly Valance 8,000

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 26th November 2020, 12:43 PM
Post #453
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

40 years ago this week, ABBA gained their ninth and final UK Number 1 single.

Super Trouper was the third release from their penultimate LP of the same name, and it ascended to the pole position on the Official Singles Chart on this week in 1980 after two previous weeks at Numbers 2 and 13 respectively.

Regarded by fans and critics alike as one of their greatest hits (it's their second biggest single in the UK), the melancholic tune speaks to the Swedish foursome's disillusion with life in the spotlight - ironic, considering that the song itself is named after the Super Trouper, a kind of spotlight that is used in stage productions.

The song opens with the iconic line "I was sick and tired of everything, when I called you last night from Glasgow...", which also handily gives it its own British (well, Scottish) spin for their last UK Number 1 hit before their split two years later.

According to Official Charts Company data, Super Trouper has notched up approximately 978,000 sales in the UK. Thanks in part to hit broadway musical and film franchise Mamma Mia!, much ABBA's catalogue edures, and Super Trouper has 30 million UK streams, their seventh most-played song.

The iconic Swedish pop group - comprised of Agnetha, Benny, Anna-Frid and Bjorn - previously topped the charts with Waterloo, Mamma Mia, Fernando, Dancing Queen, Knowing Me, Knowing You, Name of the Game, Take A Chance On Me and The Winner Takes It All.

ABBA also have nine Number 1 albums to their name in the UK too. Their greatest hits collection, ABBA Gold, even has the distinction of spending more weeks in the Top 100 than any other LP. It's also the second best-selling album of all time in the UK, logging a very impressive 5.57 million copies sold as of May 2020.

But all good things, of course, have to come to an end. After Super Trouper, ABBA would release just one more album - the dark and divisive The Visitors - before entering an indefinite break in 1982, after the marriages of Agnetha and Bjorn and Benny and Anna-Frid had splintered.

A reunion, however, has been on the cards for quite some time, with original music apparently ready to go. Two tracks, I Still Have Faith In You and Don't Shut Me Down were first announced in 2018, although they still have yet to be released.

The tunes were originally set to accompany a live BBC TV special and a world tour that were both derailed by legal complications and technical difficulties in the rendering of the four ABBA holograms set to be used on the special and the tour. The last we heard of it, at least five original songs were to be released, with the latest release date set at some time in 2021, according to Bjorn.

Elsewhere on the Official Singles Chart 40 years ago this week, ABBA knocked Blondie's The Tide Is High cover off of the top spot - a tune that would re-top the charts some 22 years later thanks to Atomic Kitten.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 26th November 2020, 12:44 PM
Post #454
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

The OCC haven't updated the sales for 'Super Trouper' since their April 2019 update of their best sellers. It's undoubtedly passed 1m chart sales by now.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 27th November 2020, 12:17 AM
Post #455
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Nice to have an older classic retro chart!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 7th January 2021, 01:32 PM
Post #456
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

+Quote this post
Popgeek
post 7th January 2021, 08:00 PM
Post #457
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 8,610

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Jan 7 2021, 01:32 PM) *

What did “West End Girls” sell in the 80s then? I always assumed it sold over 500k?

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 7th January 2021, 08:03 PM
Post #458
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Just_Jack @ Jan 7 2021, 08:00 PM) *
What did “West End Girls” sell in the 80s then? I always assumed it sold over 500k?

Gezza has it on 457k for the 80s: http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=143546

+Quote this post
Popgeek
post 7th January 2021, 08:10 PM
Post #459
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 8,610

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Jan 7 2021, 08:03 PM) *

So surely it’s sold more than 615k to date? If it’s streams alone are over 30 million.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 7th January 2021, 08:42 PM
Post #460
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Just_Jack @ Jan 7 2021, 08:10 PM) *
So surely it’s sold more than 615k to date? If it’s streams alone are over 30 million.

Different ratios when it comes to ad funded and premium streams, plus it's possible the OCC have a lower 80s total for it.

+Quote this post

31 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 07:25 PM