BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Any of you had stern words with family/friends about Brexit?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
crazy chris
post Dec 8 2019, 08:31 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
Or the election?

Am not allowed to mention Brexit to my sister but we don't have much contact anyway. She's a firm remainer and called me a "nutcase" after I'd voted out. I told her there were a lot of us "nutcases" then!

She hates Boris too so will vote LD. She voted Tory before but says Boris is "a gutter snipe, devoid of any morals or good intentions and totally unfit to be PM" ohmy.gif She says he'd shop his granny if it would help him!

She lives in Alsager, Stoke-On-Trent and the constituency is Congleton which is Tory, Fiona Bruce (no not that one!) and expected to remain so. Quite a few rich footballers live there.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris-tmas: Dec 8 2019, 08:36 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Dec 8 2019, 08:36 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
That sounds like a very leafy place! I have fallen out with brainwashed people who slather over the tories and their brexshit. We no longer talk.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Dec 8 2019, 08:37 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(Crazy Chris-tmas @ Dec 8 2019, 08:31 PM) *
Or the election?

Am not allowed to mention Brexit to my sister but we don't have much contact anyway. She's a firm remainer and called me a "nutcase" after I'd voted out. I told her there were a lot of us "nutcases" then!

She hates Boris too so will vote LD. She voted Tory before but says Boris is "a gutter snipe, devoid of any morals or good intentions and totally unfit to be PM" ohmy.gif She says he'd shop his granny if it would help him!

She lives in Alsager, Stoke-On-Trent and the constituency is Congleton which is Tory, Fiona Bruce (no not that one!) and expected to remain so. Quite a few rich footballers live there.

She has a higher opinion of Johnson than I do.

+Quote this post
mald487
post Dec 8 2019, 08:38 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 19,091
Living abroad I can largely escape it. There was a lot of hoohah on facebook between people on both sides of the fence and I've just ignored them.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 8 2019, 08:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(December Dong @ Dec 8 2019, 08:36 PM) *
I have fallen out with brainwashed people who slather over the tories and their brexshit. We no longer talk.

Do you mean friends, relatives or just acquaintances?

Yeah they live in a leafy posh area, detached houses and lots of millionaires there. They're not rich but got the house cheap because it had been re-possessed and the bank wanted rid of it. Will be worth a lot now.

Haven't seen her since Rachel's funeral, last July 30th, and no plans to really. Just occasional text but she was very good and came straight down when Rachel had died. We get on better at arms length. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris-tmas: Dec 8 2019, 09:00 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 8 2019, 08:39 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Dec 8 2019, 08:37 PM) *
She has a higher opinion of Johnson than I do.

LOL I bet you'd get on well. She doesn't like me either. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Dec 8 2019, 08:46 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
My mum is the only one in my immediate family that voted leave so there were some tense moments. She regrets it now and certainly won’t have anything to do with Boris.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 8 2019, 08:47 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(mald487 @ Dec 8 2019, 08:38 PM) *
Living abroad I can largely escape it. There was a lot of hoohah on facebook between people on both sides of the fence and I've just ignored them.

Yeah I had a lot of DS people on there when I once foolishly linked to my Facebook. A lot have deleted me though over Brexit. biggrin.gif ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 8 2019, 08:48 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(T Boy @ Dec 8 2019, 08:46 PM) *
My mum is the only one in my immediate family that voted leave so there were some tense moments. She regrets it now and certainly won’t have anything to do with Boris.

Oh a Brexiteer to change her mind then. Interesting. Do you mind me asking what's made her change her mind?

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Dec 8 2019, 08:52 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
QUOTE(Crazy Chris-tmas @ Dec 8 2019, 08:48 PM) *
Oh a Brexiteer to change her mind then. Interesting. Do you mind me asking what's made her change her mind?

She feels she was misinformed as to what Brexit would mean. She now believes that there are more benefits to staying in the EU and would rather admit she was wrong rather than pigheadedly pushing for Brexit just because she was on the ‘winning’ side.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 8 2019, 08:56 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(T Boy @ Dec 8 2019, 08:52 PM) *
She feels she was misinformed as to what Brexit would mean. She now believes that there are more benefits to staying in the EU and would rather admit she was wrong rather than pigheadedly pushing for Brexit just because she was on the ‘winning’ side.

Fair enough then. Thanks for the explanation. Have heard that before from people who were leavers but have changed their minds. They say the leave campaign misled them.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Dec 8 2019, 10:28 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Nah I generally have strong opinions but keep them to myself with people in my life as it's not worth it.

+Quote this post
danG
post Dec 8 2019, 10:33 PM
Post #13
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
As far as I know all my immediate family are pro-remain. I've got a fair few leave supporting great aunts/uncles but rarely see them and don't bring the subject up.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Dec 8 2019, 10:40 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
Strangely enough, among my family or friends where we talk about politics, none of them have ever admitted to having voted for Brexit, so I've never had to have that discussion. I did have one family member who expressed great joy after the referendum happened as they saw it as chance to remove a certain religious minority from the UK, but I doubt that person voted in 2016, as they were living in Spain at the time.

I have had some somewhat "stern words" thrown in my direction about the current election from my family, as they are all intending to vote for one particular candidate, whilst I'm still contemplating spoiling my ballot. We'll see where my mind goes come Thursday.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Dec 8 2019, 10:47 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Yes, the subject of Brexit cropped up at the table during Christmas Dinner last year after a few glasses of wine and it became quite heated.

I'd advise against discussing the B word if you're having Christmas dinner with the family. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Dec 8 2019, 11:03 PM
Post #16
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Most people in my own circles are generally pro-remain and/or in the case of the students I work with, not aware of the full impact (though I've been lecturing all of them to vote which thankfully most are intending to) so not really, which I'm fine with, because it's always an immediate mood killer and politics is just so bloody depressing at the moment. My dad is probably closest you get to someone with slightly more right-leaning views than my own that I can have a good discussion or see a new point of view with.

That said, the subject came up when I was out with my friends and alcohol was involved and I found out they had rather differing views to myself on it which certainly could've led to a few harsh words, we all saw where it was going thankfully and agreed to disagree!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Dec 8 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Dec 8 2019, 10:40 PM) *
Strangely enough, among my family or friends where we talk about politics, none of them have ever admitted to having voted for Brexit, so I've never had to have that discussion. I did have one family member who expressed great joy after the referendum happened as they saw it as chance to remove a certain religious minority from the UK, but I doubt that person voted in 2016, as they were living in Spain at the time.

I have had some somewhat "stern words" thrown in my direction about the current election from my family, as they are all intending to vote for one particular candidate, whilst I'm still contemplating spoiling my ballot. We'll see where my mind goes come Thursday.

Vote for John, it makes sense wink.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Dec 9 2019, 12:07 AM
Post #18
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
My immediate family all voted remain so that's not an issue. Grandmother voted Leave but she's not your typical Leave voter, she's ultra-religious, and thankfully is at the point where she's used to my dad being a remain/Lib Dem campaigner. Can't recall there ever being any real stern words about it.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Dec 9 2019, 12:10 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Thankfully all my family and friends voted Remain! It's a different issue with some of the Boris fans I get in work, have to bite my tongue drama.gif

QUOTE(Crazy Chris-tmas @ Dec 8 2019, 08:31 PM) *
says Boris is "a gutter snipe, devoid of any morals or good intentions and totally unfit to be PM" ohmy.gif She says he'd shop his granny if it would help him!

Omg relatable queen

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 9 2019, 07:43 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(ChristmaSteve201 @ Dec 8 2019, 11:09 PM) *
Vote for John, it makes sense wink.gif

Who's John?

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:47 PM