BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Chart Battle Rewind: 2nd November 2008, THE BIG DIVA BATTLE!!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Battle of the pop behemoths!
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
Tafty³³³
post 10th June 2023, 03:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

It's quarter 4 of 2008. X Factor was ruling the screens. Strictly Come Dancing was finding it's feet.

Musically, we have a battle for the ages. The pop princesses were FIGHTING.

Alesha Dixon - The Boy Does Nothing

Alesha was coming hot off of her Strictly Come Dancing win. With this week being her "impact week", the odds were stacked against her. How would she do with her new popularity after a pretty low-key solo career a couple of years beforehand? ('Lipstick' BANGS btw!) She ended up 4th in this race - ahead of Xtinct - charting at number 8 (peaking at #5 the following week!) but actually ended up being top 3 best selling out of these 5!

---

Beyoncé - If I Were A Boy

Beyoncé was coming off the back of her successful 'BDay' era. Unlike the other 4 singles released this week, she went for the mid-tempo approach, which likely benefitted her more! This ended up winning the chart battle and went on to be the biggest selling of the 5 as it debuted at #2, but later went on to peak at #1. Some considered it as a bit of an "upset" because I think most people had Britney down as the firm favourite.

---

Britney Spears - Womanizer

The bookies fave of the weeks releases Britney's "proper comeback" was set to be the biggest release of the 5. Whilst it became a huge smash and gave Britney the hit she needed for her next album after the under performance of 'Blackout', it had to settle by being the 2nd most popular of the week as it entered the charts at #4 and peaked at #3 a month later!

---

Christina Aguilera - Keeps Gettin' Better

I know that there wasn't TOO much hype around this one, but a lot had it as the 3rd favourite (behind Britney & Beyoncé) as she had taken clear tips from Lady Gaga (who was a bit unknown in the UK at the time, but was having a massive hit with 'Just Dance' in the US at this point!) and decided to use a similar sort of sound to launch her first official greatest hits collection. It tanked. It debuted in 5th place at #14 and faded away relatively quickly. Her greatest hits didn't do much at the time either, peaking at #10 and not really sticking around the way Greatest Hits from major popstars would and should do.

---

Leona Lewis - Forgive Me

Coming off of the fastest selling debut album by a solo female of all time, there was one critique that many had of Leona. It's that she was playing ti "too safe" and released too many ballads/mid-tempos. So here was her chance to prove to everyone (the US included!) that she could indeed, serve us a BOP! 'Forgive Me' ended up in 3rd place as it entered at #5, but unfortunately, it's chart life was minimal and short as I believe it was catered a bit TOO much to the US market that I think even everyone in the US found it a bit patronising. However, it didn't matter too much as she performed on X Factor a couple of weeks later to debut her version of 'Run', which went on to be a MASSIVE hit for her in December.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 10th June 2023, 03:30 PM
Post #2
Group icon

For me I voted:

Britney
Britney
Alesha
Alesha
Beyoncé, Britney, Christina & Leona

---

I remember this chart battle SO well lmao omg. I remember the state of Buzzjack at this time too tearsmile.gif Such an iconic time!

I liked all of them bar Alesha, whose song I found/still find incredibly annoying (thankfully she released the FAR superior 'Breathe Slow' as the follow up!). 'If I Were A Boy' is low-key one of my favourite Bey songs! FAR superior to 'Single Ladies' to me! Britney's is an undeniable classic. It's held up incredibly well and I think it's the most well-remembered of the 5 that was released? Xtinct was unfortunate. I really like KGB but to launch her greatest hits, it would have been nice to have had something more quintessential Christina released instead of a song which was trying to jump onto the latest trend. As for 'Forgive Me', it's a cute song! I like it. It's not essential Leona for me, but it was a nice change of pace for her and nice for her to show a side like that. Thankfully it didn't ruin her momentum though!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 10th June 2023, 03:31 PM
Post #3
Group icon

If you have a chart battle from 2000-2009 that we can relive, drop me a PM of an infamous chart battle and I'll try and make this a more regular thing!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 10th June 2023, 04:27 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

I think this had been done before but the questions are different to that one so I don't see a reason to merge them!

Anyway I voted..

Beyoncé
Beyoncé
Leona
Leona
Alesha, Beyoncé and Britney

I dont hate the Leona or Christina songs though and was a fan of KGB but it hasn't aged too great now.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 10th June 2023, 09:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

Leona
Beyoncé
Christina
Christina
Alesha, Britney, Beyoncé, Leona

+Quote this post
Jade
post 10th June 2023, 09:46 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

'Womanizer' for the positive ones and 'If I Were A Boy' for the negative ones kink.gif

sudden flashbacks to that massive OTT build-up that Britney got on the night of her X Factor 'Womanizer' performance laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 10th June 2023, 09:48 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I do remember this chart week as I was regularly following the charts at the time, does bring back my peak chart geek memories x

I can't vote though as I didn't like any of them that much and they've mainly dated terribly tearsmile.gif

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 11th June 2023, 08:55 AM
Post #8
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

In 2008 year "Womanizer" was my huge favourite, now I prefer "Keeps Gettin' Better", but both deserved to be # 1 hits in GD.

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: 11th June 2023, 08:55 AM

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 11th June 2023, 10:43 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
User: 3,033

I like all of them, and always did, but of these, Britney was and is my favourite, Christina was and is my least favourite (judging on the songs!)

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 11th June 2023, 01:02 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

Not that keen on any of them hehe!

Britney best and Beyoncé worst. Would have left the last question blank but it wouldn’t let me. ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by JulianT: 11th June 2023, 01:06 PM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 11th June 2023, 07:22 PM
Post #11
Group icon

Sorry I was meant to put "None" as an option but completely forgot drama.gif

It'll be an option in future ones!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 11th June 2023, 07:53 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Alesha Dixon
Alesha Dixon
Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera
All of them.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 12th June 2023, 11:15 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Britney was levels clear of everyone that week and still is today.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 12th June 2023, 11:19 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Britney
Britney
Christina
Christina
All five

I love Christina more than all of these artists but Keeps Gettin' Better, while quite good, was easily the weakest here. I bought Womanizer and Forgive Me at the time but liked the Alesha and Beyoncé songs too.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 13th June 2023, 04:21 AM
Post #15
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Jun 12 2023, 12:19 PM) *
Britney
Britney
Christina
Christina
All five

Exactly the same votes as me!

It's strange considering that Womanizer came within a year of Blackout, yet it still felt like a major comeback moment for Britney. I really wanted it to get to #1 but it wasn't meant to be.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 15th June 2023, 12:27 AM
Post #16
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Ooh this is a fun idea x I think I remember reading discussion about this at the time so I guess I must have been lurking for a few months before I actually made an account here.

Think my fave at the time was actually Alesha lol but Britney is comfortably my fave of them now (although I still have a soft spot for the Alesha song as a bit of naff fun, and I like the Leona song too). Beyoncé was and is the worst. The Xtina song is just kind of mid and forgettable but not her worst.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 15th June 2023, 10:16 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

When said Beyoncé worst song was my eoy #1 of 2008 🤭 7 weeks on top at that lmao. Looking back I probably wouldn't have had it more than say 4 weeks.

+Quote this post
danG
post 15th June 2023, 10:49 AM
Post #18
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Britney (although I wasn't 'around' to witness this big chart battle as such, being in Aus at the time)
Britney
Beyonce (I'd guess as I recall it got annoying from the sheer overplay it had at the time)
Christina (still not that keen on the Bey song but it is better than this and Leona)
Britney

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 07:25 PM