BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Miranda Cooper on writing 'Sound of the Underground'
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Sep 17 2017, 05:01 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
Miranda - who had a hand in every single GA did at Xenomania - has recorded an interview for the Telegraph's 'Story Behind the Song' podcast. It's about 20 minutes long but is well worth a listen. In it she reveals the following:

- The song was written for her and Brian Higgins' own girl group project Orchid, who were due to be signed to Polydor but got scrapped.
- When writing it with Niara Scarlett (later one half of their vanity project Mania), she sang 'The wheels on the bus go round' to the chorus melody.
- All the final 10 girls in Popstars: The Rivals recorded it after making it to the live shows, but some were apparently not impressed as they were expecting a Mariah Carey type ballad (I reckon I can guess who). Week by week Brian sat in his studio watching their elimination rounds so he could delete each eliminated girl's vocal from the final track.
- Label execs at Polydor told Miranda in a meeting before presenting the final version of 'Something Kinda Ooooh' that it was 'too rude' to be a single.
- She was in the audience when Girls Aloud did V Festival in 2006 and said to several drunk hipsters in the tent that she wrote their songs, not that many believed her. Or at least were sober enough to.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Sep 17 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #2
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
Omg at the 4th point very interesting ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post Sep 17 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
Cant unhear 'the wheels on the bus go round and around' now!

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Sep 17 2017, 11:22 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661

tongue.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Sep 19 2017, 07:56 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
I wonder who wanted a Mariah Carey type ballad? Was it Louie Walsh who found the song for them, because if so he did them the biggest favour ever lol.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post Sep 26 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #6
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Sep 19 2017, 08:56 PM) *
I wonder who wanted a Mariah Carey type ballad? Was it Louie Walsh who found the song for them, because if so he did them the biggest favour ever lol.

My guess is it was one of the more "singer-y" girls or those that were into that kind of music. Which I reckon was probably Chloe (later in Clea) and Javine.

Colin Barlow at Polydor scouted the original Orchid demo. He turned down Orchid to be signed around August that year, but he said to Brian and Miranda about the fact "Popstars" was coming up again that autumn and could they have it for the eventual girl group that was being formed.

Also of interest was the fact Brian apparently did mixes of the song for all possible combinations of the girls, but none without Javine, as every one thought it was dead cert she'd be in the band!

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Sep 26 2017, 03:00 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
I wonder was Sound Of the Underground influenced by Puretone's Addicted To Bass earlier that year! Really sounds a bit influenced by it to me!

Loved Sound Of the Underground at the time, definitely the best winner's song from a talent show for me!

This post has been edited by Northside Hisser: Sep 26 2017, 03:07 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:20 AM