BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> A Listen Through of... Yours Truly, Day 6: Popular Song and Better Left Unsaid
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Cameron
post 1st September 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #1
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

Hello!
I thought this would be a fun way to let Dangerous Woman Ari stans listen to her earlier stuff gradually and learn to appreciate pop perfection! This thread will be dedicated to listening to her debut album 'Yours Truly'. Feel free to rank as you listen and give a little review of each song. Let's begin! biggrin.gif

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 1st September 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #2
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

Track 1 | Honeymoon Avenue

I am not going to lie, this was always my least favourite song on the album (bar the Nathan Sykes collab) and is one of the multiple songs produced by The Rascals on the album. The instrumental at the beginning sounds magical and her vocals sound lovely. The lyrics are stunning but it still doesn't do too much for me, unfortunately.

Track 2 | Baby I

The second official single to be taken from the album acts as the second song in the tracklisting. Baby I is rather overlooked in her discography due to Ariana herself hating the song along with Put Your Hearts Up (she attempted to remove all traces of the former lmao). The song itself is cute but I can see why it is not that popular amongst the fans. Still, it has a fun video and introduced us to the queen of 'baby'. heehee.gif

Ranking:
01 | Baby I
02 | Honeymoon Avenue

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 1st September 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #3
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Track 1 // Honeymoon Avenue // A great opener I consider it to be one of her most underrated tracks as it is just gorgeous. I love the bridge production and the overall lyrics.

Track 2 // Baby I // I love this song it is a shame Ariana hates it as it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Rank
Baby I
Honeymoon Avenue

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 1st September 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

I love this album but I have to say it's nowhere near the quality of her other 2.

1. Honeymoon Avenue - Beautiful way to start the album. Moonlight does feel like a slightly better part 2 of this.

2. Baby I - The weakest of the singles off the album. I think this could have been great but it just feels like it's missing something to really elevate it.

Ranking:
1. Honeymoon Avenue
2. Baby I

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 2nd September 2017, 10:36 AM
Post #5
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

Track 3 | Right There (ft. Big Sean)

Serving as the third single from the album, 'Right There' is one of Ariana's few collaborations with Big Sean ( sick2.gif ). I feel I like this song more than I realize but I can see why it wasn't a massive mega hit laugh.gif . The video is cute though

Track 4 | Tattooed Heart

Yes Yes Yes! Ariana's best vocal performance ever for me! An absolutely stunning song which really put her on the map with her note perfect AMA performance! Her vocals are superb and the song itself is exquisite and such an overlooked gem in her discography.

Ranking:
01 | Tattooed Heart
02 | Baby I
03 | Right There (ft. Big Sean)
04 | Honeymoon Avenue

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 2nd September 2017, 11:38 AM
Post #6
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Ooooh, yay! I love this idea, I've never listened to the album before so I'll definitely listen along here. I've only heard Baby I and The Way (which I absolute love - one of her best ever singles for me wub.gif) so I'm excited to make some discoveries biggrin.gif

Right There is already a bit of a discovery, really catchy and can see myself going back to it now in the future.

Anyway, here's my ranking so far!
1 Right There
2 Baby I
3 Honeymoon Avenue
4 Tattooed Heart

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 2nd September 2017, 12:13 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

Track 3 // Right Here (Feat. Big Sean // A good single choice whilst it may not here best single choice however I do feel like it Is one of her more underrated single choices. The big Sean rap is good too.

Track 4 // Tattooed Heart // Wow. Her best Vocal performance. A lovely ballad in fact better than some of her ballady singles she will actually release laugh.gif

Rank
Baby I
Tattooed Heart
Right There (feat Big Sean)
Honeymoon Avenue

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 2nd September 2017, 03:55 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

3. Right There (ft Big Sean) - Not her best collaboration with Big Sean, he sounds really unpolished on this. I do still really like this though although it doesn't feel like a single for me

4. Tattooed Heart - She sounds great on this but I don't feel the same amount of emotion from this compared to her other ballads

Ranking:
1. Honeymoon Avenue
2. Right There (ft Big Sean)
3. Baby I
4. Tattooed Heart

This post has been edited by Lewisgt: 4th September 2017, 04:34 PM

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 4th September 2017, 08:47 AM
Post #9
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

Track 5 |Lovin' It

Oh look who are making another appearance... The Rascals! (Lovin' It is where our off topic chat thread Lovin' INC got it's name from btw)I really like this song, it is not the best but not the worst on the album for me. Bit off a sassy bop too

Track 6 | Piano

True pop perfection here! This is soooooo catchy and just such a feel good song! It is the kind of pop I adore and wish she would release more stuff like this. It makes you want to dance and is just full of glee. wub.gif

Ranking:
01 | Tattooed Heart
02 | Piano
03 | Baby I
04 | Right There (ft. Big Sean)
05 | Lovin' It
06 | Honeymoon Avenue

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 4th September 2017, 08:52 AM
Post #10
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

Track 7 |Daydreamin'

Another massive vocal performance from Ariana here! I love the contrast between belting 'Daydreamin' and the softer tones of the rest of the chorus. Another song which I have overlooked from this album until listening to it now, but it's really good!

Track 8 | The Way (ft. Mac Miler)

Ariana's debut single next! I think this is a favourite of the site if I am right? It features her current boyfriend, Mac Miller, and was written by and originally recorded by queen of double tapping... Jordin Sparks! Such a fab song and is definitely one of her best from the album!

Ranking:
01 | Tattooed Heart
02 | The Way
03 | Piano
04 | Baby I
05 | Daydreamin'
06 | Right There (ft. Big Sean)
07 | Lovin' It
08 | Honeymoon Avenue

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 4th September 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #11
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

Track 5 // Lovin' It // This is alright I kind of like it but It feels like it could be so much more. Like it could be more poppy with a different production. Not a massive favourite but not the worst either.

Track 6 // NOW this is what I am talking about. A bit poppier to the Ariana that we know now imo but that is not a bad thing because she is not afraid to make different kind of music. This really shows that, like if you hear this and say Into You two different feels to the songs. This is pop perfection though, so joyful.

Track 7 // DayDreamin' // This is a good ballad on the album. I can see why it can be underrated if you see some of the tracks on here. A lot more softer in comparison to Piano and the next track The Way.

Track 8 // Adore this track. A great first proper single for Ariana for me, anyway. I love the chorus the most even though the verses, bridges and Mac Mllers rap too. Just so infectious and should have done more officially sad.gif.

Rank
Piano
Baby I
The Way feat. Mac Miller
Tattooed Heart
Daydreamin'
Lovin' It
Honeymoon Avenue

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 4th September 2017, 11:16 AM
Post #12
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Lovin It - Oooh, so this is where the Inc gets its name! This is really catchy actually, I love the middle 8 too (those vocals *-*). A light summery bop music.gif

Piano - Was into it from the moment the claps started, was already jigging by the first chorus, definitely going back to this!

Daydreamin - not so keen on this really, it sort of is like daydreaming where I sort of forgot it was even playing and then it just ended (I only noticed when the amazing The Way started heehee.gif drama.gif) without me even knowing. Pretty forgettable tbh.

The Way - still one of her best ever singles, just so catchy and the Mac verse is really good too. I'd say this is in my Ari top five.

Ranking:
1 The Way
2 Right There
3 Lovin It
4 Piano
5 Baby I
6 Honeymoon Avenue
7 Tattooed Heart
8 Daydreamin'

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 4th September 2017, 04:50 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

5. Lovin' It - This is the most forgettable on the album for me. It seems to miss a bit of personality

6. Piano - Aside from The Way this feels the classic song of the album. Such an amazing pop song. 100% should have been a single.

7. Daydreamin' - I feel like this is the closest to being a song off Dangerous Woman. Her Grandparents at the end wub.gif

8. The Way (ft Mac Miller) - I had seen Ariana on Victorious a couple of times before but this was when I first fell in love with her. She just sounds so smooth and beautiful on this track. Some of Mac's lyrics are cringe though, especially the Big Pun/Still Not A Player reference.

Ranking:
1. The Way (ft Mac Miller)
2. Piano
3. Honeymoon Avenue
4. Right There (ft Big Sean)
5. Daydreamin'
6. Baby I
7. Tattooed Heart
8. Lovin' It

This post has been edited by Lewisgt: 4th September 2017, 04:50 PM

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 6th September 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #14
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

Track 9 |You'll Never Know

Oh yes! Another 10/10 bop from Ariana now! I feel this could have been a brilliant single. For me, Ariana really should have released this after The Way. It does sound very early Mariah but it just works so well!

Track 10 | Almost Is Never Enough (ft. Nathan Sykes)

A collaboration for “The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones” was recorded with Nathan Sykes of the Wanted fame which was later put on Ariana's album. I feel this song just doesn't really work as a duet which is a shame because it is a lovely song. It could really work for each of the singers, I just feel Nathan is trying too hard with the vocal acrobatics.

Ranking:
01 | Tattooed Heart
02 | The Way
03 | Piano
04 | You'll Never Know
05 | Baby I
06 | Daydreamin'
07 | Right There (ft. Big Sean)
08 | Lovin' It
09 | Honeymoon Avenue
10 | Almost Is Never Enough

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 6th September 2017, 05:23 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

9. You'll Never Know - I can never remember how this goes when I'm not listening to it. I do enjoy it but it's one of the more forgettable tracks.

10. Almost Is Never Enough (ft Nathan Sykes) - The album version is a bit long but this is such a great ballad. Nathan sounds better as usual to be fair.

Ranking:
1. The Way (ft Mac Miller)
2. Piano
3. Honeymoon Avenue
4. Almost Is Never Enough (ft Nathan Sykes)
5. Right There (ft Big Sean)
6. Daydreamin'
7. Baby I
8. You'll Never Know
9. Tattooed Heart
10. Lovin' It

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 7th September 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #16
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

Track 9 // You'll Never Know // I thought this was okay on first listen! I think it could be a grower but not feeling it as such. Shame after reading Cameron's thoughts.

Track 10 // Almost Is Never Enough // I quite have a soft spot for this mainly because Nathan has such a great voice and so does Ariana wub.gif

Rank of this listen through
Piano
Baby I
The Way feat. Mac Miller
Tattooed Heart
Daydreamin'
Almost Is Never Enough
Lovin' It
You'll Never Know
Honeymoon Avenue

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 7th September 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #17
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

Track 11 |Popular Song (with Mika)

Absolute BOP! Definitely My fav from the album! It is so pop, so cheesy, so perfect! The sample from Popular is so clever and just makes it go off. I need this to have a 2017 remix

Track 12 | Better Left Unsaid

I really liked this at first but re-listening to it is making me think it is a bit all over the place kink.gif

Ranking:
01 | Popular Song (with Mika)
02 | Tattooed Heart
03 | The Way
04 | Piano
05 | You'll Never Know
06 | Baby I
07 | Better Left Unsaid
08 | Daydreamin'
09 | Right There (ft. Big Sean)
10 | Lovin' It
11 | Honeymoon Avenue
12 | Almost Is Never Enough

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 7th September 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #18
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

Final Ranking:

Ranking:
01 | Popular Song (with Mika)
02 | Tattooed Heart
03 | The Way
04 | Piano
05 | You'll Never Know
06 | Baby I
07 | Better Left Unsaid
08 | Daydreamin'
09 | Right There (ft. Big Sean)
10 | Lovin' It
11 | Honeymoon Avenue
12 | Almost Is Never Enough

Hope you all enjoyed this!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 7th September 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

01 Better Left Unsaid
02 Piano
03 The Way
04 Popular Song
05 Baby I
06 Right There
07 Tattooed Heart
08 Almost Is Never Enough
09 You'll Never Know
10 Honeymoon Avenue
11 Daydreamin'
12 Lovin' It

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 7th September 2017, 07:03 PM
Post #20
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

Popular Song - Adore this song its so pop perfect. The only annoyance was that it was not a hit in the UK kink.gif

Better Left Unsaid - It is nice but I thought it would be an ENDER like Thinking Bout You is sad.gif disappointed

Rank of this listen through
Piano
Popular Song
Baby I
The Way feat. Mac Miller
Tattooed Heart
Daydreamin'
Almost Is Never Enough
Better Left Unsaid
Lovin' It
You'll Never Know