BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS | RATE: Doctor Who • Series 10, FINISHED, full results on p3!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Spinning Adam
post 15th August 2017, 12:05 AM
Post #41
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

Yess that episode was great heart.gif glad to see the majority gave it enough to be top 3.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 15th August 2017, 09:36 PM
Post #42
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

LOVED the concept of Oxygen although I can't help thinking it might've worked better as a two-parter?

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 19th August 2017, 11:16 AM
Post #43
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

02. The Doctor Falls

Average: 9.27
Highest: 10 (JosephStyles, HarryEzra, Michael, burbe, dalekturret32, Spinning Adam)
Lowest: 7 (PeteFromLeeds)

In a bit of timey-wimey ness, let's jump ahead to the second part of this year's series finale which you rated in second place, with the first part being the winner! First off though, The Doctor Falls starts with the Doctor being captured by the Master and Missy. They don't realise that the Doctor has reprogrammed the Cybernet to target Time Lords as well as humans which forces them to free, being rescued by Nardole. A cyberman electrocutes the Doctor but he is saved by Bill (as a cyberman). They evacuate to a higher level of the ship (level 527) which is a solar farm, populated by children and adults fighting off Cybermen. The Doctor is suppressing an early sign of regeneration from the electrocution. Bill is kept in a barn, unaware that she has been transformed into a Cyberman as her mind is acting like a perception filter. She sheds a tear as she realises the truth. Missy & the Master discover a lift which might be an escape route but it brings Cybermen. The group destroy them but the Doctor warns that the time dilation affords the Cybermen more time to evolve and stategize. The Doctor knows that they can only delay their defeat and so instructs Nardole to lead the human community to another solar farm on the another floor. Bill stays with the Doctor but Missy and the Master abandon them (intending to escape through the Master's TARDIS) despite an impassioned plea from the Doctor. Missy changes her mind though, stabbing the Master and triggering his regeneration. However, he shoots her, telling her she will not regenerate. Back at the farm, a Cyberman army arrives and the Doctor causes a number of explosions, engulfing the farm in a fireball and destroying the Cybermen. Bill kneels by the Doctor who is lying still and Heather (from The Pilot) arrives, finding Bill through her tears. She saves Bill by transforming her into an entity like herself. They leave the Doctor inside his TARDIS, unconscious, tp explore the universe together. The Doctor awakens, steps out the TARDIS to a snowy landscape. He tries to stop his regeneration and encounters the First Doctor!!

This followed the same type of Moffat finale by having a perhaps, more sedate finale then what the first part might have teased. Rather than focusing on a world domination type threat, Moffatt appears to prefer to focus on a smaller community. Here it is the solar farm, the Series 5 finale focuses on the main cast whilst Hell Bent sees the Doctor looking after a small Gallifreyan family. The episode shares the most with The Time of the Doctor though, with both Doctors bowing out through protecting a small town filled with children. I found this a large improvement on that story though as the time dilation concept introduced in World Enough and Time as well as the Cybermen helped to create a much greater threat than we saw in TTotD. It did perhaps falter to use the Cybermen properly after an excellent first part but there was also a lot going on elsewhere to make up for it. The biggest highlight of the episode was the Master/Missy dynamic and the conclusion to the Missy arc that was in the background of Series 10. By having John Simm's Master there, it showed that Missy really had changed (despite the glorious evil plotting/flirting at the start of the episode). It culminated in two excellent scenes, the first being the Doctor's speech to the two of them to make them stay. Peter was perfect in that scene and it was really tense to see whether Missy would stay or not. The second scene was both of their deaths, as sad as it may be that they won't return to our screens together (and that it may be the end of Missy), it was a perfect way for them to go out and it showed why there's never been a multi-Master story before, because they end up stabbing each other in the back!! Another brilliant aspect was Bill as the Cyberman. I was GUTTED to see her die in such a brutal way and thought there couldn't really be a satisfactory way out of it. The way it was handled through was really good and gave some excellent scenes/directing as we saw the struggle between Bill and her new real self, glimpsing both of them. Her revival with Heather was a bit of a cop-out (and too similar to Clara) but I'm just glad we hopefully get to see more of her because she was an absolutely brilliant refreshing companion, who helped bring something new after 54 years on screen.

Your comments:

Joseph: A common feature of the Moffat era seems to be that part 2 is never as good as part 1, and although I'd say it's true of this episode, it's not such a drastic difference because this was also excellent and World Enough and Time was always gonna be hard to top. The pace and tone of this episode was pretty different to its opening part, but it worked really well. The idea of switching between human and Cyber Bill to emphasise her state of mind was perfect, and both Peter and Pearl gave one of their best performances to date. The Cybermen seemed to take a back seat but I still enjoyed them more than usual, and the newer designs didn't feel out of place. John Simm and Michelle Gomez had exceptional chemistry and it was the perfect multi-Master story, as they both end up killing each other! Perfect. The endings for Bill and Nardole both felt quite appropriate, and I find it quite sad that none of them really know what became of each other in the end.

HarryEzra: I loved this episode too. My highlight was the story for Bill where she combated that she was indeed human rather than a Cyberman. Elsewhere, the master and Missy chemistry was phenomenal and the fact they caused each other's death was satisfying wub.gif. The exits for Nardole and Bill could have been better in my opinion but all round good and a nice shocker of a cliffhanger. Side note my other small critic is that My only criticism the Cybermen were not utilized in the second part as they were in the first like although we didn't see Bill as the Cybermen until the end we saw hints and really chilling scenes before. Then they just didn't have that scary edge in the second episode.

Spinning Adam: This could be my least (or second to least following the Death in Heaven episode) finale but the scene with Missy and Master was probably my favourite and it was well scripted. It IS a shame that we lose Missy JUST when she was becoming part of the team but I suppose she's no River and the show did make the right decision with killing her off. The Doctor getting shot my a basic cyberman (lol) was a bit sudden but good all the same, and it was great to see Heather return in the way she did. How very similar it compared to Clara travelling with Me heehee.gif (did Bill not know about regeneration then? I'm sure she would'nt have gone if she did). Regarding the Doc's "regeneration" in a way I did like how he was refusing to change but I think he's done that sort of thing before and it seemed a lil repetitive now. I'm very excited to see how the closing scene with Doc12 and Doc1 will play out! Only thing is (iirc) the next episode is a Christmas special and I'm not sure if it'll be as exciting as it might have been if the following episode was a regular episode.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 19th August 2017, 11:19 AM
Post #44
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

01. World Enough and Time

Average: 10.27
Highest: 11 (JosephStyles, HarryEzra, Chez Wombat, Michael, Klaus, burbe, dalekturret32), 10 (dandy*, Spadam)
Lowest: 7 (PeteFromLeeds)

Your WINNER is therefore World Enough in Time aka the first part of the Series 10 finale!! The pre-titles shows the Doctor emerging from the TARDIS, about to regenerate! The episode then goes backwards to explore what has led to this regeneration. It starts with the Doctor testing Missy’s new ‘good’ side by having her take on his role and answer a distress call whilst Bill & Nardole are her companions. They arrive on a hundreds of miles long ship reversing away from a black hole. The only pilot holds them at gunpoint demanding to know which one is human. Bill admits to being human and she is shot by the pilot. Figures arrive in a lift and take Bill’s body away; the Doctor tells Bill to wait for him. The Doctor, Missy & Nardole discover that, two days previously, some of the bridge crew went down to the lower level of the ship to start the engine reversal but never returned. The ship only had 50 people then but now it has thousands of life forms below. Due to time dilation, time moves faster at the lower levels of the ship. It means that a year has already passed for Bill in the few moments that it has been for the Doctor. Bill finds she has been fitted with a mechanical device that serves as her replacement heart. Razor, a hospital employee, explains the patients are waiting to be upgraded to escape the polluted air. The patients are also constantly screaming in pain. Razor and Bill are able to watch footage of the bridge and Razor convinces Bill to be the next upgrade subject. The team take the lift to the hospital; Missy determines the origin of the colony ship as Mondas. Razor meets Missy and insists that she has been here before and reveals himself to be John Simm’s incarnation of the Master! The Doctor and Nardole discover a Mondasian Cyberman who identifies itself as Bill! The Master and Missy explain they are witnessing the genesis of the Cybermen. The Bill Cyberman sheds a tear…

A really deserving winner here, and I think the quality of the episode is shown by it getting a +10 average which is rarely seen! I found Series 10 to be a very solid series but this was the only 10/10 (or 11/10) episode for me, where I enjoyed every aspect of it. There are so many brilliant aspects to it and the episode’s pacing is what really helps these elements to stand out. The whole time dilation could have been quite complicated but it is a genius idea and its able to work so well. Overall, it means that the Doctor is a mere few seconds too slow to save Bill from the full upgrade. Of course he wasn’t able to save her from being shot in the first place, could this be because he was too focused on trying to turn Missy into a good person? The time dilation really does add an interesting perspective and change to the story as you’re really willing the Doctor to hurry up whilst Bill is having a very lengthy adventure in the few minutes he is at the bridge. The biggest highlight of the episode for me is the sequence with Bill in the hospital. It is so chilling and creepy, certainly up there with some of the series’ most scary sequences. I’ve always found the Cyberman to be a really creepy idea but it has never been fully executed to its full potential. I do believe the hospital sequence got that right here though, with the patients waiting for their upgrade and Bill & the audience discover that they are constantly screaming in pain. Bill being turned into a Cyberman is definitely up there with one of the show’s more horrific decisions but it continues to emphasise how unnerving the Cybermen are. It’s different to see a companion being in so much danger as Bill is in throughout the episode, after having a huge hole in her chest, resulting in a mechanical device sitting there and having to walk around with medical equipment. It was a very bold move and the final sequence with Bill being upgraded really made my jaw drop! I was really unsure about the inclusion of the Mondasian Cybermen as they do look like a Blue Peter DIY creation but they were really used effectively and re-emphasised what the Cybermen actually are, increasing the creepiness of the episode. As an extra note, it was also brilliant to see the Master back in disguise again, I actually never twigged until the last few moments oops. It would have been AMAZING if we didn't already know about his return though. Overall, it was an outstanding episode and shows that the series has still got it 54+ years later!

Your comments:

JosephStyles: Where do I start? I think this could be my favourite episode of the Moffat era. It was scary, tense and gripping from start to finish. Bill being shot was a huge shock, and a bold move considering it was relatively graphic for a show aimed partly at kids! The patients at the bottom of the ship were absolutely horrifying, as was the idea that they're constantly in pain but their volume is simply turned down. Really dark stuff. It didn't twig with me that Razor was the Master until just a few minutes before the reveal either, although I wouldn't have guessed at all had they kept his return a secret! Him tricking Bill into being converted was really shocking and incredibly sad when the Doctor arrived and found he was too late, plus finally, the Cybermen actually felt scary! The whole cast were on top form and Moffat really seems to be saving his best for last, just a shame we knew about the returns of the Cybermen and John Simm in advance (I guess the former was necessary for the street scenes but still).

HarryEzra: Such a chilling episode. It's been ages since I have proper been hooked on an episode. First of all, the time slowing down at part of the ship was such a unique part of the story. Adds to some character moments from both Doctor and Bill. Secondly, the scenes with the patients in that room were very creepy and chilling. Finally, I loved the John Simms return as the master as well as the original Cybermen designs coming back. My only wish was I wish I didn't know the Master or Cyberman return as both would have been huge reveals as both got a lot of hints. Loved this episode though.

Spadam: yass at Missy becoming a protagonist cheer.gif the scenes where she shows remorse are rather touching. Despite the show only recently having a companion convert a companion to a cyberman (Danny, and before that to an extent Craig) the ways Bill was converted were interesting. The Girl Who Waited style of time passing differently in different places is what I enjoy seeing too (upsetting at the same time for the companions!) seeing classic cybermen was also a highlight and I knew John Simm would be returning and his review was unexpected too :clap: Missy pretending to be on the Master's side was acted well and I wasn't sure what to think at that point. Love a bit of suspense

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 19th August 2017, 11:23 AM
Post #45
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

FULL RESULTS

01. World Enough and Time - 10.27
02. The Doctor Falls - 9.27
03. Oxygen - 8.87
04. Extremis - 8.73
05. Smile - 8.14
06. The Pilot - 8.09
07. The Pyramid at the End of the World - 8.05
08. The Lie of the Land - 7.82
09. Thin Ice - 7.45
10. Knock Knock - 6.91
11. Empress of Mars - 6.68
12. The Eaters of the Light - 6.09
13. The Return of Doctor Mysterio - 5.5

as always, thanks for all those who rated and commented! It's always interesting to see other people's thoughts on the series and what the highlights and lowlights were! It also made for an interesting extension after Joseph's huge countdown of Series 1-9!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 19th August 2017, 12:09 PM
Post #46
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Amazing winner cheer.gif that two parter is one I can see myself going back to loads!

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 19th August 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

Not surprised at the top 2 of course but well deserved cheer.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 19th August 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #48
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Flawless winner, in time I think it'll be among my absolute favourite Who episodes wub.gif The second part was almost as great too, perfect top 2.

Thanks for hosting Froot!!! Been great reading through the commentaries.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 02:31 AM