BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Official Chart Show to move to Fridays from summer 2015, Hosted by Greg James
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ManicKangaroo
post 24th March 2015, 02:35 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,007

From BBC:

BBC Radio 1 is moving its chart show to Friday afternoons, where it will become part of Greg James's drivetime show.

Starting in mid-July, the new show will be two hours long, focusing on the top 20, and will be accompanied by a live TV programme on CBBC.

The move follows a global agreement by the music industry to release all new albums and singles on Fridays.

It means the chart will now be compiled on Friday mornings, with Radio 1 the first to reveal the latest number one.

"The days of recording your favourite songs from the chart onto cassette are long gone," said Radio 1 controller Ben Cooper.

"So when the global release date changes to a Friday, we will also move the Official Chart, continuing our commitment to stay relevant to young music fans of today".

A chart countdown has been part of Radio 1's Sunday schedule for nearly 50 years, starting with Alan Freeman's Pick Of The Pops, in 1967.

Until 1987, the new chart was actually announced on a Tuesday, and the following Sunday's show just played the countdown in full. From 1987, however, improved technology enabled the station to receive the week's chart data in time to announce the new number one on the three-hour Sunday show.

Cooper confirmed the new show would be an hour shorter than the current incarnation, airing from 16:00 to 18:00 GMT, allowing the Dance Anthems slot to remain on the schedule.

"That means we will not be playing every single record in the Top 40," he said. "We will be a little bit more choosy about the records we play in those two hours."

The chart show currently garners 1.2 million listeners every week, down from 4 million in the 1980s. James's show is heard by 5 million listeners every week, although detailed figures for his Friday afternoon slot are not available from ratings compiler Rajar.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 24th March 2015, 02:39 AM
Post #22
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

4-6 on a Friday? That'll be nice to get the casual, stuck in traffic listeners! But yeah, what does that mean for Buzzjack? Will as many of us be around to hear it live?

+Quote this post
sm1ffj
post 24th March 2015, 04:08 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,629

So Clara Amfo would have had the shortest tenure for a permanent presenter in history, 6 months.

Greg will become the 16th permanent presenter.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 24th March 2015, 04:34 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

I think I like this change. Mostly just glad they haven't tinkered with the time of the day it's on, as I don't think I could push another hour later at my timezone laugh.gif For that matter, late nights on Friday > late nights on Sunday.

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post 24th March 2015, 05:50 AM
Post #25
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
User: 275

This is a very exciting news, I'm curious if it brings more listeners for the official chart or not. It's a shame the chart will only be 2 hours, it will be difficult for us to post the positions between 40-21. I hope they will play some songs though so we don't have to rush post everything.

Poor Clara though but Greg James sounds like a good choice. I only heard 1 show with him but it was quite good.

+Quote this post
gavindeejay
post 24th March 2015, 07:06 AM
Post #26
Group icon
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
User: 7,645

I'm normally at work on a Friday until 7pm, so won't be able to catch the new Top 40. sad.gif I've been listening to the chart show on a Sunday afternoon since Novmber 1999. Glad Gregg James has got the gig though. Hopefully Gregg will get his fans interested in the Top 40, as it sadly the interest in the chart has declined over the last 10 years.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 24th March 2015, 07:37 AM
Post #27
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

I'm busy on Fridays from 5-8 which sucks because I won't be able to join in the Chart Show thread and I aon't know the #1 until 8 sad.gif

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 24th March 2015, 07:41 AM
Post #28
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

I wonder how it'll affect the day ChartsPlus gets published?

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,457

not a good idea.... It makes more sense for chart weeks to be Mon-Sun or Sun-Sat.... it's gonna be dull from now on

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
Post #30
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Good decision IMO, wonder what the Big Top 40 will do? Probably copy the BBC and move 4-6, or even better - disappear forever!

+Quote this post
danG
post 24th March 2015, 07:42 AM
Post #31
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

the chart show thread is gonna be a lot less active now sad.gif

I won't even be home until 4:30 so I'll miss the #40 - 21 new entries sad.gif

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post 24th March 2015, 07:42 AM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,457

also, most people don't have the time to listen to the charts on Friday, while Sundays are usually lazy days where ppl just sit home and relax... Besides it will be less fun having all the international charts out at once... I used to enjoy listening to the UK charts on Sunday and waiting for the US charts on Wednesday.... now it's all piled up...

This post has been edited by Dark Horse: 24th March 2015, 07:46 AM

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 24th March 2015, 07:43 AM
Post #33
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

QUOTE(Dark Horse @ Mar 24 2015, 07:42 AM) *
not a good idea.... It makes more sense for chart weeks to be Mon-Sun or Sun-Sat.... it's gonna be dull from now on

Surely any dullness would be a reflection of the music, not the day of week?

Also, wonder what day of the week C+ will be published after the change?

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th March 2015, 08:00 AM
Post #34
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Good idea to move the day of the chart but not sure what to make about it being shorter. I guess it will be nice to cut the stale songs but it defeats the point of the chart show for me sad.gif As long as they still do the recaps it should be fine though.

Gutted to see Clara leaving the chart already though, I'm not *toooooo* familiar with Greg James but I didn't really enjoy the chart show he did a month or so ago.

+Quote this post
callmeDim
post 24th March 2015, 08:07 AM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,971

Not excited about this idea tbh despite the fact that it would be MORE convenient for me cuz of my time zone (i mean sleepless fridays >> sleepless sundays). Also dislike the miss of 40-21 pos. sad.gif
Hope Gregg James will be worthy substitute... bb Clara. Miss ya (already).

This post has been edited by djgrafdemon: 24th March 2015, 08:09 AM

+Quote this post
gavindeejay
post 24th March 2015, 08:22 AM
Post #36
Group icon
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
User: 7,645

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Mar 24 2015, 07:41 AM) *
Good decision IMO, wonder what the Big Top 40 will do? Probably copy the BBC and move 4-6, or even better - disappear forever!

I can't see The Big Top 40 moving. It doesn't really rely on official chart data as it only incorporates iTunes data and AirPlay from the stations that take the show. Plus most of the local stations that take it aren't necesserily Top 40 stations, so they would be out of format at peak time listening on a Friday evening.

This post has been edited by gavindeejay: 24th March 2015, 08:23 AM

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 24th March 2015, 08:33 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

Fantastic news! He is the best man for the job, and we should count ourselves lucky that it's still at least going to be a 2 hour slot, as it could've just been an hour. 2 hours is more than enough in this slowwww chart era.

Mental to think I used to compile a student radio chart for Greg, and now he's doing the official UK chart. If only I had known!!

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 24th March 2015, 08:49 AM
Post #38
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

Chart countdown show back on BBC TV
Source: MW

The UK music industry has finally been awarded the weekly chart show-themed TV broadcast it's long been waiting for, thanks to CBBC and Radio 1.

Broadcast live from Radio 1's Live Lounge on Sunday evenings from 6pm, the CBBC Official Chart Show will run 26 30-minute episodes from May 10 in line with Radio 1's Official Chart Show.

It is understood that the CBBC programme will have an initial run through early summer and then continue in autumn. Later in the year it's likely to switch to Friday, in line with The Official Chart on Radio 1, which will be moved to Fridays from July, in line with the new global release day.

Described as "an energetic mix of pop, gossip, user generated content interactive features and fast-moving entertainment", the show will count down the UK's favourite downloads and songs in video form, in line with Radio 1's broadcast.

It's the first time anything resembling Top Of The Pops has made its way back onto the small screen, since the long-running music chart programme ended its regular weekly appearance in July 2006.

Presented by Cel Spellman (Waterloo Road and Friday Download) CBBC Official Chart Show is being made by Pretzel Films TV and has been commissioned by Cheryl Taylor (pictured), controller of CBBC.

Said Taylor: "It's a no brainer to work together to bring this exciting show to the CBBC audience. Music plays a massive part in their lives and we hope that taking part in the Top 10 countdown will be the first of many collaborations with Radio 1.”

Steve Wynne – (CD:UK, SMTV, Disney) head of TV, Pretzel Films TV said: "We cannot wait to bring the live, weekly, Top 10 countdown to a brand new generation of viewers. It's a dream job: CBBC+live+music+Radio 1 = a must see, entertaining show that everyone will be talking about."

Hugh Lawton, executive producer for CBBC, added: "This will be THE destination for our viewers to watch the videos of their favourite artists and is sure to get everyone talking about the charts."

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 24th March 2015, 08:52 AM
Post #39
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

As for the move to Fridays, I just find the timing sucks, it would have be better from 6 to 8pm. Most people are still at work on a Friday around that time, and I won't be around for the chat show thread topic on a Friday, looking at it again, they could broadcast the whole top 40 on a Saturday morning from 11am to 2pm.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 24th March 2015, 09:09 AM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

I believe Greg's show currently gets something like 5 or 6 million listeners - it's probably been 15 years since the chart show got that many!

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 04:06 AM