BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> K-pop idols and mental health
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Cody Scobell
post Jun 16 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #1
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

The Kpop industry and idol culture have always been seen as a grueling environment both physically and mentally but the past few weeks have only raised more awareness on how severe these issues can be.

Most people who venture into the fandom have already known about Jonghyun’s suicide. After seeing Hanbin’s public apology following his drug scandal, him leaving iKON, and the backlash that sparked after, I’m worried that we may be seeing something similar happening.

Translation:

This is Kim Hanbin.
First of all, I sincerely apologize for causing trouble with my inappropriate behavior.

It is true that I had previously wanted to rely on things that I should not have even had interest in because I was having such a difficult and rough time. But I was not even able to do it because I was afraid.

Nevertheless, I am extremely embarassed and sorry towards all of our fans and our members, who are deeply disappointed and hurt by my wrong words and actions.

I will humbly reflect upon my wrongdoings and withdraw from the team.

I sincerely bow my head in apology once again to our fans and our members. I’m sorry.
He revealed that he had been going through a rough time mentally when he purchased marijuana and LSD back in 2016 (which allegedly was when he wrote Goodbye Road and I’m OK). The way Korean netizens and the media have treated him since the revelation has been... somewhat akin to American cancel culture. It shows an almost blatant disregard for idols’ mental health, and while I do understand that drug possession is against the law in South Korea, there is a huge disparity between the severity of the situation (iirc he bought the drugs but didn’t use them) and the reactions that followed.

And this isn’t the only incident that happened. A couple weeks ago, Goo Hara from KARA was recently hospitalized after being found unconscious in her home, and the first thing that she did when she recovered was apologize to her fans. We also recently had Taeyeon from Girls’ Generation open up with her own struggles with mental health on her Instagram livestream, and some of the responses were ugly.

Should there be a change in views in how we as a fandom should deal with mental health, more importantly from Korean fans?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:28 PM