BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chart Replay: Cascada vs. Michael Jackson, 10 years on
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Cascada vs. Michael Jackson
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 73
Guests cannot vote 
Liam.k.
post Jul 11 2019, 08:52 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

It's been 10 years since Cascada battled with Michael Jackson for the #1 spot.

German dance trio Cascada had enjoyed chart success in the mid-Noughties with Eurodance anthems that covered or sampled songs that had been hits for other artists. They broke away from their trademark formula with 'Evacuate the Dancefloor' and took a lean towards the electropop sounds that had took over the charts.

King of Pop, Michael Jackson, sadly passed away on June 25 2009, with fans responding by downloading his back catalogue in their droves. The song that became most popular and something of a swansong was 'Man in the Mirror'. Originally a #21 hit in 1988, the song had re-entered the chart at #11 the previous week on the strength of just a couple of days of sales and was a hot favourite to climb to #1.

'Man in the Mirror' had established an early lead in the first set of midweeks whilst 'Evacuate the Dancefloor' trailed behind at #3. Throughout the week, MJ's sales slowed down, with just a 200 copy lead over Cascada by the last set of midweeks! When the official chart was announced, Cascada had denied MJ his eighth #1 to receive their first ever, completing the week with a 5k lead. When it comes to total sales, MJ won the war with 'Man in the Mirror' receiving a Platinum certification in 2016 for sales of over 600k (which isn't factoring in its original 80s sales) whilst 'Evacuate the Dancefloor' remains just shy of Platinum.

10 years on, which is your favourite?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jul 11 2019, 08:52 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol

Top 10
01 (NE) Cascada - Evacuate the Dancefloor
02 (11) Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror
03 (01) La Roux - Bulletproof
04 (02) David Guetta feat. Kelly Rowland - When Love Takes Over
05 (04) Lady Gaga - Paparazzi
06 (03) Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow
07 (06) Agnes - Release Me
08 (05) Keri Hilson feat. Kanye West & Ne-Yo - Knock You Down
09 (07) Pixie Lott - Mama Do (Uh Oh Uh Oh)
10 (25) Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

Top 40 New Entries
15 (NE) Jamie T - Sticks 'n' Stones
28 (54) Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)
39 (79) Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling

Previous Chart Replays
S Club 7 - 'Bring It All Back' vs. Madonna - 'Beautiful Stranger' (1999)
ATB - '9 PM (Till I Come)' vs. Whitney Houston - 'My Love is Your Love' (1999)
Usher - 'Burn' vs. Girls Aloud - 'The Show' (2004)

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jul 11 2019, 08:54 AM
Post #3
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I REALLY hate that Cascada track, like massively so!

'Man in the Mirror' was only 1 copy ahead of La Roux here. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 11 2019, 08:56 AM
Post #4
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

'Man in the Mirror' isn't even a massive MJ highlight for me but he was still robbed. That Cascada song was trash and has aged horribly laugh.gif

+Quote Post
John-James
post Jul 11 2019, 08:58 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,665

I remember listening to this chart in the car, as if its been 10 years

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jul 11 2019, 08:58 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol

As nice as it would have been to see Michael Jackson receive a posthumous number one, I did and still do unashamedly love 'Evacuate the Dancefloor'. What a bop that was at family parties that year!

'Man in the Mirror' isn't a MJ track I return to much but it's probably one of my favourites out of his songs of that ilk.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jul 11 2019, 09:09 AM
Post #7
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

Cascada easily. It’s the good side of Eurodance, bright, cheery and gives me great memories of the time. There are certainly hits from around then that have aged worse.

It was up against one of the better MJ songs, actually, scratch that, Man In The Mirror is a well structured song but his voice isn’t good on it. Would never put it on over Evacuate.

+Quote Post
coi
post Jul 11 2019, 09:10 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 73,240
   No Gallery Pics

Evacuate the Dancefloor!

+Quote Post
777666jason
post Jul 11 2019, 09:11 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 22,687
   No Gallery Pics

Evacuate the dancefloor easily (minor note though really silly that songs use the lyrics about being a new track because it ismt new for long laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Jul 11 2019, 10:11 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

Man in the Mirror is not my favourer MJ song but still miles and miles better than the horrible Cascada song, still to this day shocked that such terrible song managed to beat MJ and deny him a posthumous #1

what is really crazy is that Man in the Mirror kinda flopped when originally released... well it peaked at #21 but that was a huge underachievement for Jacko, since the 3 previous singles from Bad all had been top 3 and this was his 4th #1 in a row from Bad in the US

+Quote Post
Brer
post Jul 11 2019, 10:58 AM
Post #11
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

I think my feelings about this one are fairly well known... laugh.gif 'Evacuate The Dancefloor' is up there with my least favourite songs of all time, Cascada are pretty trash in general but that was their absolute nadir. 'Man In The Mirror' isn't quite one of MJ's best songs or anything but still very much robbed. (As for his other posthumous #2 hit though... not so much)

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jul 11 2019, 11:15 AM
Post #12
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Ooh, one I remember listening to live *.

I'm stunned this is so close - I'll admit I liked Evacuate the Dancefloor at the time as it was fun, but it has dated horrendously. Everything feels so cheap and generic, it actually almost makes me laugh listening to it these days, and it features possibly the most pointless and tacked on rap verse ever.

Man in the Mirror isn't one of his greatest (I'd have been seething if it was Billie Jean/Smooth Criminal that was kept off), but it was very fitting as a tribute at the time and it's still a nice listen today.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jul 11 2019, 11:25 AM
Post #13
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Bulletproof.

But of these two there is no contest here and this week in chart history still makes me feel sick. MITM for me easily.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jul 11 2019, 11:27 AM
Post #14
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

Man In The Mirror is a classic but I will always love the fact that Cascada managed to get a UK No.1.

I adore the song too, even though it's cheap and tacky and has dated very quickly. Very of its time, but kudos to them for getting a relatively decent UK chart career (compared to many Eurodance acts) out of a rinse and repeat/jumping on current trends formula. Sad that they never troubled the top 40 after this though.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: Jul 11 2019, 11:29 AM

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jul 11 2019, 11:36 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Idol

I actually bought the Cascada album Evacuate the Dancefloor off the back of the single! laugh.gif Certainly haven't listened to it since then. I remember really liking 'Fever' though and was sad to see that make no chart progress; I think 'Dangerous' was also a single and met a similar fate.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Jul 11 2019, 11:47 AM
Post #16
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

I'm pretty sure 'Evacuate The Dancefloor' sounded dated even at the time. I know that sound was still in then with 'Just Dance' being a big hit a few months earlier etc. but it was always horrifically tacky even by the standards of that kind of song.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jul 11 2019, 11:54 AM
Post #17
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(Medellíam @ Jul 11 2019, 12:36 PM) *
I actually bought the Cascada album Evacuate the Dancefloor off the back of the single! laugh.gif Certainly haven't listened to it since then. I remember really liking 'Fever' though and was sad to see that make no chart progress; I think 'Dangerous' was also a single and met a similar fate.

'Fever' was actually great, SO SO much better than the first two singles. It was never gonna do anything at the point it was released though sadly.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jul 11 2019, 12:06 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jul 11 2019, 12:54 PM) *
'Fever' was actually great, SO SO much better than the first two singles. It was never gonna do anything at the point it was released though sadly.

I still have a soft spot for it but I think it's much more cheaper sounding than 'Evacuate the Dancefloor'! tongue.gif

For some reason the UK had 'Dangerous' released when the rest of the world had 'Fever'. 'Dangerous' was a return to their trademark Eurodance style which I guess could have been in response to the criticism of them 'copying' Gaga's sound, but surely the rest of the world would have received it too if that was the case.

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Jul 11 2019, 12:46 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

What were the sales during that week in 2009? Man in the mirror is the better song definitely!

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jul 11 2019, 12:51 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Houdini @ Jul 11 2019, 01:46 PM) *
What were the sales during that week in 2009? Man in the mirror is the better song definitely!

61,221 for Cascada and 56,151 for Michael Jackson (56,150 for La Roux).

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:10 PM