BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MPs to debate Proportional Representation next Tuesday.
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post Apr 16 2019, 05:32 PM
Post #1
Howdy, disco citizens
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

For those of us who are interested in the idea of Proportional Representation being brought in to elections to Westminster, you may be interested to know that of Tuesday 23rd April, there is to be a debate in the House of Commons on that matter, being led by Angela Smith of Change UK (formerly a Tigger, formerly a Labour MP).

Obviously this faces an uphill struggle of actually becoming law, as both Labour and the Tories are likely to oppose this, as the current FPTP system gives them a considerable electoral advantage. However, if your MP knows that voting against PR means that they are likely to lose your vote, then they may think about it a different way. Therefore, if you would like PR introduced, I would advise contacting your local MP (if you don't know who he/she is, this helpful website can tell you by entering your postcode), then once you've found him/her, there is the option to send them an email, where you can tell them that you would very much like them to attend the debate and back the idea of Proportional Representation, as it is what your electorate want of you.

Or you can tell them that you love FPTP and want to keep it that way if you really really want, it's your prerogative.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Apr 16 2019, 06:58 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

I think saying it faces an uphill struggle is a bit of an understatement! However, it is good that the issue is being raised.

The current political situation helps to emphasise what is wrong with First Past The Post. A Remain-supporting Tory voter whose local candidate is a hardline Leave supporter faces a dilemma, as does a Leave-supporting Labour voter whose local candidate is a committed Remainer. Under Single Transferrable Vote, my preferred system of PR, those voters will be able to give their first preference to the candidate whose views are closest to their own.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 16 2019, 07:10 PM
Post #3
Howdy, disco citizens
   No Gallery Pics

STV is my favoured method as well, as used in the Northern Ireland local elections (and Assembly elections, during the time it's actually sitting), is its multi-member setup means that it strikes a good balance between voting for your preferred party, as well as your preferred candidate, which is ideal when you like a particular candidate more than you like a particular party, and vice-versa.

Not too keen on the list system like in the EU elections, as the ranking still gives much more control on who your representative is to the political parties, rather than the voters, although I appreciate that STV isn't as easy to implement on a GB level for EU elections (although NI does use it for the EU elections).

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 18 2019, 06:24 PM
Post #4
Howdy, disco citizens
   No Gallery Pics

An update - I received an email from my MP, who has said that depending on other matters, he intends to take part in the debate on Tuesday. I don't know whether he is going to speak in favour of the motion, but keep in mind that he is Nigel Dodds of the DUP, so his mind could go either way.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:48 PM