BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> **FINISHED PG 9** Joseph's Hit 300 | Year-End 2023, these are the lovesongs i'll love again
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 23rd December 2023, 03:18 PM
Post #41
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Alternative Artist: glaive

When I discovered glaive in early 2022, his sound was somewhat in transition. The hyperpop he made his name creating was less prominent on deluxe EP old dog, new tricks, which was freshly released when I found his music. Much more prominent was an indie pop vibe, and the two married together surprisingly well on that project. The transition completed on glaive's first full-length studio album, which arrived earlier this year. i care so much that i dont care at all didn't feature anything that could be described as hyperpop, but that didn't mean the energy levels went down. Songs like the car and 17250 pop off just as much as glaive's early stuff, albeit in a different way, and the indie pop sound, more commercial by glaive's standards but certainly not the kind of thing you'd hear in the charts, is the perfect complement to the autobiographical lyrics. I'll talk more in depth about the album later on, but glaive produced his best project yet in 2023, and he's already in the process of making his next project, which seems like a complete 180 degree turn to chaotic dance music, and a nod back to his old hyperpop sound...!

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 23rd December 2023, 09:29 PM
Post #42
Group icon

Best Music Video: Harry Styles - Satellite

I always really liked Satellite on the Harry's House album, though I'm not sure I ever pegged it as being a single. I'm so glad it was, though. The song gained a new lease of life with me, but that was largely down to the impact of the song's music video. Starring a vacuum cleaner robot called Stomper, it tells a heart-wrenching story. Stomper, cleaning up at the stadium Harry's playing at on tour (a neat way to tie in the fact Harry was on tour as this was filmed), sees a video of a Mars rover and is awestruck, before heading off to the concert. Afterwards, it explores outside, travelling through streets, the Grand Canyon, and ends up on a hill, next to Harry, stargazing. The video ends on a sombre tone as Stomper's battery runs out and he shuts down. It's surprisingly poignant for a story told about a vacuum cleaner, but Stomper is just TOO cute! The video was used during the second leg of Harry's Love On Tour in summer 2023 during the Satellite performance, which only added to its brilliance as the song popped off more than ever before. A simple video, a simple story, but told beautifully and imaginatively.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 24th December 2023, 03:09 AM
Post #43
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Stomper supremacy cheeseblock.png ('Satellite' was already one of my fave Harry songs but the video definitely cemented that even further for me so a nice shout there x)

+Quote this post
danG
post 24th December 2023, 09:49 AM
Post #44
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I ought to give that Cub Sport album a listen as I enjoyed both their BJSC songs this year and the track you've linked's also sounding good (and yay for Aussie rep)

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 24th December 2023, 05:37 PM
Post #45
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I have a few things to say:

• “Replay” is the best Cub Sport song I’ve heard so far
• the Teen Wolf movie was a MESS and this is coming from a fan since Season 1 drama.gif Power Rangers Once And Always did what the movie tried to do but MUCH better
• Wolf Pack is fun campy nostalgia and I’m here for it
• your love for Laroi got Jungkook so high on the chart and I’m so grateful for that laugh.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th December 2023, 08:29 PM
Post #46
Group icon

QUOTE(Michael Bubré @ Dec 24 2023, 03:09 AM) *
Stomper supremacy cheeseblock.png ('Satellite' was already one of my fave Harry songs but the video definitely cemented that even further for me so a nice shout there x)

I knew you'd approve *.*

QUOTE(Dancemberlexa @ Dec 24 2023, 09:49 AM) *
I ought to give that Cub Sport album a listen as I enjoyed both their BJSC songs this year and the track you've linked's also sounding good (and yay for Aussie rep)

I'd strongly recommend it!! It's so consistently strong wub.gif

QUOTE(CodySleighBell-y @ Dec 24 2023, 05:37 PM) *
I have a few things to say:

• “Replay” is the best Cub Sport song I’ve heard so far
• the Teen Wolf movie was a MESS and this is coming from a fan since Season 1 drama.gif Power Rangers Once And Always did what the movie tried to do but MUCH better
• Wolf Pack is fun campy nostalgia and I’m here for it
• your love for Laroi got Jungkook so high on the chart and I’m so grateful for that laugh.gif

Hold > Replay and I will die on that hill xx

Thanks everyone for the replies!! heart.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th December 2023, 09:01 PM
Post #47
Group icon

Live Artist of the Year: S Club

2023 was a pretty awesome year for gigs. Highlights include seeing the Sugababes at the O2 (complete with meet & greet), finally seeing Powfu and Avril Lavigne live for the first time, Fred Roberts' first ever headline show, and of course, three nights at Harry's House, located at Wembley Stadium in mid-June. However, nothing quite compares to the magic of an S Club tour. I saw the full line-up back on their first reunion tour in 2015, having been a bit too young for an S Club heyday concert. I remember loving it, despite a slightly odd setlist at times (Hannah's solo track being a cover of Paula Abdul's Straight Up as opposed to one of her S Club leads was a choice). This time around, though the Good Times Tour was tinged with sadness after Paul's passing, the kinks were ironed out. Bradley, Jo, Jon, Rachel and Tina delivered a slick, high-energy show featuring almost every quintessential S Club track. Every member got their chance to shine on a fan-favourite album track, and classic dance routines were updated and integrated into each performance. The group also paid tribute to Paul by showing a montage of clips as his lead track, Good Times, was played into the arena heart.gif All of their singles (bar Say Goodbye) featured on the setlist, with particular highlights being Don't Stop Movin', Natural, Bring It All Back, and the fresh new mix of Alive, which I NEED released ASAP! I also got to meet the band at the meet & greet before one of the shows, which was amazing. Picture below, as well as my full list of 2023 concerts. I would LOVE to go and see the Good Times Tour again, even though I went three times already...! Here's to more live shows in 2024 hopefully!

08/02 Sugababes
15/02 Carly Rae Jepsen
21/02 Alexander Stewart
30/03 Sam Ryder
07/04 Dean Lewis
12/04 New Hope Club + Sarcastic Sounds
15/04 Anson Seabra (Hyde Park fan meet-up)
19/04 Ava Max
20/04 Caity Baser + Michael Aldag
25/04 Benson Boone
03/05 Michael Aldag
04/05 Cub Sport
10/05 Avril Lavigne
15/05 Anson Seabra + Jonah Kagen
26/05 The Vamps
01/06 Louise
13/06 Harry Styles
14/06 Harry Styles
16/06 Harry Styles
20/07 Rita Ora
26/07 Anne-Marie
28/07 Bebe Rexha
27/08 Delta Goodrem
14/09 Fred Roberts
15/09 Sugababes
29/09 Ruel
03/10 Powfu
05/10 5 Seconds of Summer
14/10 S Club
17/10 Michael Aldag
27/10 S Club
28/10 S Club
09/11 JLS
14/11 glaive + re6ce
29/11 Anne-Marie
10/12 Capital FM's Jingle Bell Ball (Alicia Keys, Jazzy, Joel Corry, RAYE, Rita Ora, Rudimental, S Club, Sam Ryder, Take That, Zara Larsson)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th December 2023, 11:33 PM
Post #48
Group icon

British Pop Soloist: Michael Aldag

I remember the first Michael Aldag song I heard. It was his debut single, Entitled, and I was intrigued even if not totally won over by it. I really liked the honest, cutting lyrics, and that's something that's remained an essential element of any Michael track, including those released across 2023. Michael didn't put out a body of work in 2023, but he did drop seven songs, all of a remarkably high quality. The year began with the bolshy iaw (which stands for 'internet attention whore'), calling out a toxic subculture of attention-seekers and pretentious people over production that's just as abrasive. It's a track that always goes off live, and kickstarted a run of singles which had a morally questionable theme, including girlfriends (about a man who can't control himself around women) and cheating (a message for the adulterous boyfriend of a girl the narrator slept with). It's clear from seeing Michael's social media presence, as well as his live performances, that he's having immense fun with these themes and embracing these personas, and that injects a level of fun into the questionable subject matter he's explored. Amongst this, though, there's been room for self-reflection on the brilliant sabotage, and his latest single december which talks openly about depression. There's nobody in pop music who speaks so honestly, brutally and without any sort of filter, and it works in so many different regards, whether Michael's talking about himself or someone else. I really hope we get a full album from him at some point, but even if 2024 only brings another run of singles, I have no doubt they'll all be high quality.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 25th December 2023, 08:57 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

That's a cool picture there of you with S Club, Joseph. Glad it was a fun show too!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 26th December 2023, 12:42 PM
Post #50
Group icon

QUOTE(Rockin Roba @ Dec 25 2023, 08:57 PM) *
That's a cool picture there of you with S Club, Joseph. Glad it was a fun show too!

Thank you Rob! wub.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 26th December 2023, 12:55 PM
Post #51
Group icon

Best Era: Ruel - 4TH WALL

The road to Ruel's first studio album felt like a long one. With his debut single released in mid-2017 followed by a trip of EPs, it felt like the Australian star, whose music was lauded by the likes of Elton John, was never going to release a full project. The era appeared to start in late 2021 with GROWING UP IS_____, a song about how time passes between two ex-lovers. It felt more confident than any previous Ruel single and was matched with some fabulous artwork and photoshoots. A second single, LET THE GRASS GROW, came in 2022, before a few months of silence. When YOU AGAINST YOURSELF came out in late summer, Ruel suggested that it was the lead single from the album, discarding the previous two. It was a shame, but easy to forget when YOU AGAINST YOURSELF was such a massive track (it was my EOY #1 song last year!). The era continued with a run of singles into 2023, with the album's announcement arriving at the start of 2023, its tracklist confirming both GROWING UP IS _____ and LET THE GRASS GROW are indeed still a part of the album. The tracklist flows beautifully, starting with the aptly named GO ON WITHOUT ME and concluding with the stunning END SCENE, each song fitting together perfectly in between. I'll talk more about the music later on though!

The top notch music aside, one aspect I've loved about the 4TH WALL era is how beautiful the visuals are. The album artwork is fantastic, with Ruel stood in a forest scene against a cloudy backdrop, with a car in the background and Ruel stood in a baggy navy jumper in the foreground. This look was sported by Ruel in the encore of his 4TH WALL World Tour, tying the theme together beautifully. Not only was the album artwork great, but each single cover was perfect too, from the underwater shot of LET THE GRASS GROW to the cardboard box labelled 'SOMEONE ELSE'S PROBLEM' on that single cover. Every aspect of this era was well thought out, and when Ruel took his time, he was ensuring everything was perfect.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 26th December 2023, 07:33 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Not heard too much of Ruel (outside of your EOYs!) - just giving END SCENE a listen now, certainly an interesting one! The instrumentation and vocals certainly capture the desperation that the lyrics portray.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 26th December 2023, 09:40 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hi Joseph!

Sorry if I wasn't commenting on your Year-End chart or continuing with my on Year-End list, I was very busy this christmas week and next week's as well.

Like most of the awards so far, can't wait for the songs list!

Great list so far!
Can't wait for the rest.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 27th December 2023, 08:28 PM
Post #54
Group icon

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Dec 26 2023, 07:33 PM) *
Not heard too much of Ruel (outside of your EOYs!) - just giving END SCENE a listen now, certainly an interesting one! The instrumentation and vocals certainly capture the desperation that the lyrics portray.

QUOTE(Sergej @ Dec 26 2023, 09:40 PM) *
Hi Joseph!

Sorry if I wasn't commenting on your Year-End chart or continuing with my on Year-End list, I was very busy this christmas week and next week's as well.

Like most of the awards so far, can't wait for the songs list!

Great list so far!
Can't wait for the rest.

Thank you both!! wub.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 27th December 2023, 08:43 PM
Post #55
Group icon

European Group: Marcus & Martinus

I first discovered Marcus & Martinus in 2016, when Elektrisk, a huge top 5 hit in their home country of Norway, was sent to BJSC. I found it a lot of fun, even with how young the twins sounded (they were 13 when it was recorded). They remained on my radar especially when they crossed over to English language tracks, with huge bop Like It Like It almost making my chart top 10. A big breakthrough came later in 2017 with the release of Make You Believe in Love, their first top 10 hit in my chart (peaking at #3) and it remains a song I give quite regular plays to. Remind Me, in 2018, also peaked at #3 and gets similar rotation. Then, not much followed for a few years. A few blink-and-you'll-miss-it top 20 hits between 2018 and 2021, and not much else. The quality had dropped and the music felt more faceless and less fun. Then, in a surprising turn of events, Marcus & Martinus were confirmed to be taking part in 2023's Melodifestivalen, Sweden's Eurovision selection competition. It's a big deal in Sweden, so I was really hyped to hear what they were bringing to the table. I had faith it would be a return to form, and it was, and then some. Air finished second in Melfest, but didn't have to settle for runner-up in my chart, where it became their first #1 hit, spending more weeks in my top 40 than all preceding hits combined. It's a song that's defined my year and I'll be talking a lot more about it later on! Another hit came a few months later, with 247365 unluckily losing out on #1 to an even bigger chart force (Michael Aldag's cheating) but becoming their second longest runner. No full project has arrived (yet), but with another Melfest appearance due in 2024, it's bound to be another strong year for Marcus & Martinus, who are surely hoping for gold this time around.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 28th December 2023, 06:32 PM
Post #56
Group icon

Special Recognition: Paul Cattermole

On 7th April 2023, I was stunned into silence. I received a message saying how awful it was to hear about Paul. I was confused at first, wondering who Paul was. Then I realised, there was only one Paul that I truly care about. I scanned social media and there it was, the news I had really hoped not to see. The awful announcement that Paul Cattermole of S Club 7 had died, aged 46, less than two months after he rejoined S Club for the announcement of their S Club 7: Reunited tour. I was gobsmacked and, quite simply, sad. Paul was one of my childhood heroes, alongside the rest of the group. He didn't sing on as many songs as some of his bandmates, but through the TV series, as well as the energy he brought to songs like Summertime Feeling, Love Train and Good Times, Paul earned his place in my heart just the way the others did. He was wise, reflective and enthusiastic in the interviews I saw, and in clips he looked to be a bubbly, fun presence among the group. It broke my heart to think I'd never see the full line-up of my favourite group ever again. Suddenly, the tour didn't feel important, because we didn't have Paul there anymore.

Of course, the tour went ahead. It was renamed The Good Times Tour, in honour of the song Paul had been looking forward to singing. The band have said he was the most enthusiastic of them all to be doing the tour, and that showed in the press they did alongside their reunion announcement. The answers he gave to questions were well-considered and interesting, and he recalled an array of specific memories when asked questions, which was such a delight. A five piece S Club was bittersweet to see, because as great as they still were, it hurts to know that Paul isn't there, and can't ever rejoin in the way Hannah one day could. Nevertheless, Paul was honoured beautifully by the group, through comeback single These Are the Days as well as on the tour. A montage of clips was accompanied by a previously unheard vocal take of Good Times, and the song featured a couple more times throughout the show in the intro and another transition VT. The band spoke beautifully of him, with Jo encouraging the audience to "show their hearts", which was also a social media campaign in liaison with the British Heart Foundation. The band even retrieved Paul's BRIT Award, which he'd had to sell after falling on hard times, and presented it to his family. I know they'll carry Paul with them on whatever they do next, but I really wish he could be alongside them on this journey in person.

This is for the good times, and Paul gave us so many heart.gif RIP Paul, in my dreams I'm with you.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 28th December 2023, 09:21 PM
Post #57
Group icon

Australian Pop Soloist: The Kid LAROI

The release of Laroi's first proper studio album solidified his position as one of the most exciting artists around, for me. While his releases seemed to grow more disparate after he achieved a major breakthrough moment with STAY, Laroi thankfully didn't head back into the studio to release loads of subpar soundalikes. In fact, nothing on THE FIRST TIME sounds much like STAY, and no matter how much I love that song, I'm relieved that Laroi continued to push forward with his vision. The concept of exploring first times, with voicenotes from Laroi himself (his first real heartbreak), Justin Bieber (his first time meeting Hailey), his brother (first time moving abroad) and others detailing different interpretations of the album's title. Each linked to a song, with Laroi's heartbreak leading directly into the melancholy NIGHTS LIKE THIS, and Bieber's into CALL ME INSTEAD, where Laroi pitches himself to a girl he's falling for. Of course, with the album's delay, some tracks undoubtedly refer to the breakdown of his relationship, notably DESERVE YOU: "I wrote this song at the start of the year, back then when you were still here with me." It's a personal album, and Laroi has never sounded so confident blending pop, R&B and hip-hop together to make a cohesive body of work with a start and end point.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 28th December 2023, 11:12 PM
Post #58
Group icon

Breakthrough Artist: Fred Roberts

I feel like a breakthrough is becoming a harder thing to truly measure. Artists almost never hit the big time with their debut single, so many "breakthrough" artists have been releasing for a while already. This isn't the case for Fred Roberts, who actually did release his
debut single this year, but this isn't his first venture into the music industry. In 2019, Fred auditioned for The X Factor: The Band, where he successfully made into the boyband formed on the show, Unwritten Rule. The band didn't win, and they split six months after. Three years later, Fred released his debut single Runaway through a distribution deal with Universal. Runaway was co-written with Tom Mann (Lewis Capaldi, Troye Sivan, Anne-Marie), Andrew Wells (Ellie Goulding, Bebe Rexha, Meghan Trainor) and Anthony Rossomando (Lady Gaga, RAYE, Tom Grennan), each of whom have a really remarkable CV. Even then, I wasn't sure what to expect from the song, but it really impressed me. Runaway became one of the longest running hits in my chart this year, and based on that song alone, I booked to see Fred live. By the time the show came around (his first ever headline show, for the record!), second single Say came out, which hit #1 in my chart and is my favourite song from him so far. Hearing both Runaway and Say live was amazing, as was hearing all of his unreleased music. Fred already knows the sound he wants to make, and the consistency was there. He was super lovely to meet after the show too - picture below! Third single Disguise came out recently and saw Fred discussing a relationship with a guy who was in the closet, a refreshingly honest topic in pop music. I really hope the stars align for Fred and he's able to make it big, because with songs like these, he truly deserves to.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 29th December 2023, 07:34 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Not heard of Fred Roberts before but giving Say a listen now, a very well-written and well-produced track, sounds like one you could easily dance to even with the song being about struggling in a relationship!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 29th December 2023, 08:36 PM
Post #60
Group icon

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Dec 29 2023, 07:34 PM) *
Not heard of Fred Roberts before but giving Say a listen now, a very well-written and well-produced track, sounds like one you could easily dance to even with the song being about struggling in a relationship!

Glad you like it wub.gif I think you'd also like Runaway, it's cut from the same cloth!

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 06:09 PM