BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Take That to reunite?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Bond Bug
post 30th January 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 1,966

Take That to reunite? Robbie Williams and Jason Orange consider returning for 25th anniversary

Click here for full story.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
pippa
post 31st January 2016, 04:30 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

It is likely to happen in some form i believe I'm sure they will appear on the celebrations somewhere, it would be wonderful to see Jason in-particular back.

+Quote this post
dylandog
post 31st January 2016, 10:50 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 20,635

The 25th anniversary will go ahead regardless of whether its a 3, 4 or 5. I would be very surprised if Jay returned, but delighted all the same. He's been greatly missed over the past year or so. As for Rob. His possible inclusion has caused some division on line but regardless of my, or others opinion, he has a 'right' to return having been a founding member of the band.

For me his inclusion would be somewhat of a dilemma and it could alter my decision to attend the tour in 2017. Many people will attend who are Rob fans only. That was evident during the Progress tour and changed the atmosphere of the concert and the overall dynamic of the band, and not in a positive way. So for me it's a case of accepting Rob's inclusion rather that celebrating it - although I fully accept that many fans post 2006 and older fans will fully embrace his return.

+Quote this post
milly
post 31st January 2016, 02:07 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,540

There have already been many meltdowns and drama in the fandom since the news emerged biggrin.gif
My stand is the same as yours, dylandog. There's no point in repeating what I think of the reunion or what I like.
I think the decision on both parts has to be an informed one: TT need to know where the fans stand about the reunion, just as fans have a right to know what it will happen. What I or other fans think of Robbie's return may prove to be irrelevant, as the boys might decide that their audience is primarily made of fans of TT5, but I disliked some people's attitude of branding everyone who is against Robbie returning as "haters". As a buyer, I have a right to say what I want to pay for, what I'd like to listen to. Nobody can make the boys NOT reunite if they wish so, but also nobody can force me or others to be on board with it and buy the album regardless of whether Robbie is on it or not. The boys need to be aware that the support is not "unconditional", harsh as it may sound. I support them as much as I can, but if they ask me to pay half of a month's salary for hearing Robbie shout and scream, then I'll have to say no. I actually LISTEN to music and I have yet to pay to get headaches or ear bleedings tongue.gif

+Quote this post
elisabeth1973
post 31st January 2016, 03:10 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,130

It is no secret that I am a robbie fan and I like them unite for a one off in 2017. It will not be more as Robbie is doing his own huge tour again in 2017 and the lads have to do their Las vegas thing Robbie said he will not be part of. So you have only to deal with a short reunion, milly. Not many people will be of the opinion in hindsight of Robbie screaming and shouting instead of singing.
TT 3/Gary will know that this is the last chance to get more than the die hard fans buying tickets. This time they cannot even count on tour sales as the last album was only a small success. A greatest hot may help. But I Always get the shudders myself when I see anyone else than Robbie sing the Flood

+Quote this post
dylandog
post 31st January 2016, 03:26 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

There have been many harsh words expressed and you're right, Milly, 'hate' has frequently been thrown at those less enthusiastic about TT5. I can understand that fans who have been with the band since the outset see five as the ideal, but for some such as myself that's not the case, as I invested in TT4 and latterly TT3.

People need to recognize that music is subjective and we all have an opinion and feelings about artists. It doesn't make those opinions right or wrong, but people have a right to them. In terms of Rob my feelings may indeed be irrational but I simply can't watch him perform. I find his persona overbearing, arrogant and coarse and unfortunately I can't get past those feelings; hence my predicament in terms of going to the tour. I do enjoy some of his recordings with TT such as The Flood and WWWY, but watching him live is a different scenario altogether, both in terms of my time and finances.

I doubt very much that Jay will rejoin, but if he does it will be overshadowed by Rob's involvement and as selfish as it sounds I would like the limelight to be on Jay. The lads put their heads on the block returning in 2005 and it could have backfired leaving them looking fools and failures. Rob didn't take any risks when he rejoined in 2010 - he waited until their success was secure and their profile big enough to warrant his involvement.

+Quote this post
milly
post 31st January 2016, 03:36 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

As I've said, my opinion is irrelevant and the boys should do whatever makes them happy. I'm not opposed to an one off show where they all reunite. On the contrary, I think that should happen and it would literally make everyone happy. The only thing I wouldn't be up to - but I respect the fact that many, maybe even most, fans would feel otherwise - is another album like Progress where Robbie takes over or a tour centred around Robbie. But I repeat myself, the boys will decide what audience suits them best. I'm sure they won't care too much if I or other fans don't invest in their new project. All I can do is say how I feel about it, I don't expect that my opinion count in any way. The only thing I found annoying was to be labelled as a hater just for not liking the idea of TT5 again. I haven't made a secret of the fact that I don't like Robbie's voice or attitude, but it's a long way from this to saying that I hate him. I was surprised to see that Robbie's fans' reaction to the news was more vicious than TT's fans'. I doubt TT fans actually hate Robbie, but Robbie's fans really seem to hate TT fans. I almost expect a match - like fight at their TT5 gig, like it usually happens on stadiums between supporters of football teams biggrin.gif People need to remember that, in the end, it's just music and they could show their lack of support by simply not buying records or tickets. I know that nobody on this forum has said anything, but the arguments on this subject have been so numerous since the potential reunion has been announced that they seemed to become the focus point instead of the debated fact itself.

+Quote this post
dylandog
post 31st January 2016, 05:02 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

In truth the vitriol I've seen on line has come from TT fans, as opposed to Rob fans. Certain TT fans seem to think that Rob represents the authentic TT and to champion TT4 or TT3 goes against the true essence of being a fan. However, some people appear to have rather short memories. As late as 2005 Rob's antipathy towards TT was still palatable and he was making disparaging remarks about rejoining them around this time - 10 years after the band had disbanded, although he was kind enough to appear as a hologram at the Ultimate tour smile.gif

That said, you're right Milly because essentially the band will make the decision regarding the reunion and in some respects it's not actually that important. What is important is the quality of the music they produce from now on in and how they promote it. That will have more significance for the continuation of TT than the reunion tour. And that is one of the main problems I have with Rob's involvement. He has nothing invested in TT. It means not one jot to him if any album he's involved in with the band sells badly because he's not going to stay around. His career will continue and he will release albums and tour as a solo artist, but for TT it represents the brand and their careers.

+Quote this post
elisabeth1973
post 1st February 2016, 06:11 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

then they can be happy if they have him back as Progress is the most successful album of TT second time around. It even sells great outside the UK where none other TT album after BW even hit the top 20.
I mean...they want to sell tickets and not perform in front of 5000 people in their second biggest market, Germany, again. This is a bit of a shame for a band who wants to be at the top

This post has been edited by elisabeth1973: 1st February 2016, 06:13 PM

+Quote this post
jay727
post 1st February 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 12,273

It's great to hear the news about a world tour and a reunion.

I personally feel Jason will rejoin, albeit in a capacity of documentaries and maybe a couple of select gigs.

My concern though, is where do they go after a 25th anniversary to this scale? With a new GH coming too, I hope it's not signalling the end.

+Quote this post
dylandog
post 1st February 2016, 07:36 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Elisabeth, as selfish as it may sound, I would prefer them to play smaller crowds without Robbie. There I've said it. I prefer TT4 and TT3 and if that means smaller crowds then so be it!!
However, I'm under no illusions they would prefer a massive tour and I'm sure the band recognize that in relation to Europe/WW that means having Rob on board. I'm not sure what's been happening today as I've been at work but there's some confusion around a tour in 2018 as opposed to 2017. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but the talk is that Rob's not available in 2017.
Without jumping the gun, if that's the case, I think it's appalling. If Rob is signing up then he should have the decency to fall in with the plans of the other 3 and not expect them to delay the anniversary tour because he has other things lined up. Either he's committed or he's not. I don't want to think negatively but I hope if Rob does return he has the decency to take a step back and I hope his return isn't perceived as the prodigal son's return to the fold.
It's looking like I'll be bailing out of the anniversary tour and I may go for the cheese feast that is Vegas instead smile.gif

+Quote this post
milly
post 2nd February 2016, 08:33 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(dylandog @ Feb 1 2016, 09:36 PM) *
Elisabeth, as selfish as it may sound, I would prefer them to play smaller crowds without Robbie. There I've said it. I prefer TT4 and TT3 and if that means smaller crowds then so be it!!
However, I'm under no illusions they would prefer a massive tour and I'm sure the band recognize that in relation to Europe/WW that means having Rob on board. I'm not sure what's been happening today as I've been at work but there's some confusion around a tour in 2018 as opposed to 2017. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but the talk is that Rob's not available in 2017.
Without jumping the gun, if that's the case, I think it's appalling. If Rob is signing up then he should have the decency to fall in with the plans of the other 3 and not expect them to delay the anniversary tour because he has other things lined up. Either he's committed or he's not. I don't want to think negatively but I hope if Rob does return he has the decency to take a step back and I hope his return isn't perceived as the prodigal son's return to the fold.
It's looking like I'll be bailing out of the anniversary tour and I may go for the cheese feast that is Vegas instead smile.gif

Ditto smile.gif
If the news is true, I'm a bit revolted. Why let the member who does not celebrate 25 years of TT decide? And I really don't get this whole "we're celebrating 25 years of TT" when the only TT members who actually were there for this whole time were Gary, Mark and Howard.

PS: Elisabeth, TT did not play to 5000 people in Germany, I know this for a fact!

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 2nd February 2016, 02:08 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,265

I think if it's true Gary is waiting for Robbie to have some spare time in his diary to rejoin the others it's either through nostalgia because he wants him to be there or it's through business sense. It's probably a mixture of both. smile.gif

I guess Gary considers him worth waiting for and ultimately he like all artists will do what he sees right for the band and for business regardless of fans different opinions.

It would be impossible to please everybody.

This Robbie/Gary argument has been going on for twenty years even though they themselves made up in 2009 and doesn't seem to show any sign of abating wacko.gif such a lot of wasted energy in my opinion for two lovely men. smile.gif

+Quote this post
dylandog
post 2nd February 2016, 03:35 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Your right Laura, Gary is a pragmatist and he'll have weighed up all the pros and cons. Maybe I'm wrong about the Rob situation in which case I apologise. However, if the stories are in fact true and the reunion is delayed until 2018 then I think that's a shame and Rob should have put his solo career aside and put TT first for once. The 25 year anniversary is actually this year and if they delay it any longer it will be their 30 year anniversary smile.gif

One can hypothesis as to whether Rob would have become a big star if he hadn't been part of TT, but it certainly gave him the springboard he needed and for once it would have been nice for him to fully commit to the project and not expect the other three to change their plans.

I've no doubt that Gary is the driving force behind the reunion and Howard and Mark will go along with whatever's been decided. It does appear that Jay will not be involved and for me that's such a shame. I've been listening to the BW album in the car today and Jay has a lovely voice and for me the best voice after Gary, which may be somewhat controversial. Jay was very much under used in the band from a vocal perspective and more should have been done to encourage his confidence in this area.

+Quote this post
milly
post 2nd February 2016, 04:58 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Laura, this has nothing to do with the Gary-Robbie relationship. The fact that they may be friends doesn't mean that TT fans have to start liking Robbie from a musical point of view.
As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy that Gary and Robbie made up, but, to me, Robbie will always have an unlikeable personality and voice.
Gary is also friends with Harry Styles - that does not mean that Gary's fans have to like him or want him on the band. We can still make up our own minds.
We have to learn to distinguish between the boys' private life and their career.
If reunion plans are delayed because of Robbie, that's a sign that he couldn't care less about TT and he has no respect for their history.

This post has been edited by milly: 2nd February 2016, 05:53 PM

+Quote this post
dylandog
post 2nd February 2016, 06:09 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

It's almost as though we've reverted back to 2010. Does anyone else recall the debates around Rob's inclusion back then? Who would have thought we'd been in the same position more that five years later. A mistake back then and I believe a mistake again. A charity one off concert as a celebration of their 25 anniversary would be more appropriate in my view. The issues around the identity of the group will surface yet again. The public may struggle to process the fact that the band ( post 2005) has been a 4, then a 5, then a 3 , then a 4 and then a 3 again! My brain is confused just thinking about it smile.gif

It really is difficult to market a band that has a revolving door of members. I don't think Rob's inclusion will have a positive impact. Financially yes, as Progress brought in shed loads of cash for the band, but that doesn't mean it was a good move as a long term strategy. A reunited TT will have no impact on Rob's status and position, but I'd hazard a guess it will on TT. My other issue is the production element. I just don't think it'll work with Rob singing TT songs post 2005 other than one's from Progress. The best option in my view would be to stick to songs from the pre 2005 era which unfortunately means fans would miss out on gems such as Patience and RTW. The worse case scenario would be to include TT4 and 3 songs which Rob sings and solo Rob songs which include the whole band.

+Quote this post
elisabeth1973
post 2nd February 2016, 06:29 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

They did Milly. They played to 80 percent sold out arena in Hamburg, but this was the only one. Any other arena including in Amsterdam had only 40 percent sold out and Stuttgart was about 5,000 -6,000 they had to disguise this in the rangues. I have still the newspaper links.
Aside of this I don't think that it is a problem that a band has revolving members. I loved Progress and I love Robbie and Gary singing the Flood and them doing Shame (though this is not TT).

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 2nd February 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,265

QUOTE(dylandog @ Feb 2 2016, 03:35 PM) *
Your right Laura, Gary is a pragmatist and he'll have weighed up all the pros and cons. Maybe I'm wrong about the Rob situation in which case I apologise. However, if the stories are in fact true and the reunion is delayed until 2018 then I think that's a shame and Rob should have put his solo career aside and put TT first for once. The 25 year anniversary is actually this year and if they delay it any longer it will be their 30 year anniversary smile.gif

One can hypothesis as to whether Rob would have become a big star if he hadn't been part of TT, but it certainly gave him the springboard he needed and for once it would have been nice for him to fully commit to the project and not expect the other three to change their plans.

I've no doubt that Gary is the driving force behind the reunion and Howard and Mark will go along with whatever's been decided. It does appear that Jay will not be involved and for me that's such a shame. I've been listening to the BW album in the car today and Jay has a lovely voice and for me the best voice after Gary, which may be somewhat controversial. Jay was very much under used in the band from a vocal perspective and more should have been done to encourage his confidence in this area.

I always thought they'd take their 25 anniversary from 1990 anyway so they're already on their 27th anniversary as far as I'm concerned. laugh.gif

I have a Gary/Robbie interview from 2010 when they were doing Shame and Robbie was marking his 20th anniversary with his. New greatest hits album. Gary said in that interview "it's the 20th anniversary for us all this year". So it doesn't add up now that they're celebrating 25 years next year. huh.gif

I understand that now it's 25 years since their first album but the change in sums leads me to believe that there is a certain amount of accommodating going on, not just for Robbie but for Jason too.

We'll have to see how it all turns out. Not everyone will be happy but hopefully they can accommodate most fans wishes. It's quite a conundrum they have that's for sure.

+Quote this post
dylandog
post 2nd February 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Off topic, but I don't know how to start a new one so I'll hijack this one!

Has anyone heard the track from Holly Johnson - Ascension? It's from the album Gary's produced/wrote to tie in with the new Eddie the Eagle film. In parts it has an epic Bond/Adele like sound. I love the string sections. I wouldn't say it has a TT sound and I'd be interested to find out what everyone thinks.

This post has been edited by dylandog: 2nd February 2016, 08:38 PM

+Quote this post
milly
post 3rd February 2016, 05:51 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I love Ascension. It sounds very dramatic and rockish. When I first heard it, I thought it would be a good song for Eurovision - but in a good way.
People have been saying that Gary keeps his best work for TT, but lately, I have the impression that his best work has been the one he's done for others. The songs for all the musicals and for the movie, to me at least. sound better and more mature than what he's done with TT.

If anyone wants to listen to Ascension: http://milly-gb.tumblr.com/post/1385459586...rack-written-by

+Quote this post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 05:40 PM