BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Spurs
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Rooney
post May 1 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #1
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
Thought I would make a general topic to discuss Spurs.

Definitely the current media darlings no doubt due to their strong English core. They have established a real grit and determination about them since Pocchetino has taken over. They managed to finish third in a two horse race last year and will probably finish second in a one horse race this year! Still no trophies or consistent performance in Europe, but good domestic form.

With their move to Wembley next year how do we think they will do? I would have said they would be strong favourites to win the league next year if they were still at White Hart Lane. Their move to Wembley though adds extra pressure and certainly a big incentive for the smaller teams that go there.

What do we all think of Spurs?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post May 1 2017, 03:17 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
What they've achieved so far has been really impressive. However, I think there's several question marks over them next season. Playing at Wembley for every home game is going to take some getting used to - in both the last two seasons they've surged after Christmas following a slow start, and may have to again. If they let Chelsea or a strengthened City take a large lead over them again, they might have to wait longer for a league title.

They're also going into the summer transfer window with a lot of interest in their best players, in a way that didn't really happen last year. A lot will depend on whether they can hold onto the likes of Walker, Rose and Dier (assuming that Kane and Alli will definitely stay for now at least). They also need to bring in more quality rotation options if they want to be competitive in Europe - Wanyama is the only one this season who has slotted straight into the team.

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post May 1 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
User: 10,505
I think Spurs are the only exciting team to watch in the Premiership tbh. They do need to get over this Wembley hoodoo or they're going to be the nearly men like Newcastle used to be.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post May 1 2017, 08:39 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
They should in theory be the favourites for the title next season, the only team in the League to have two strong seasons in a row & if they can continue the form they're ending this season they'll be one of the hardest teams to play against.

However it very often doesn't work like that & with the move to Wembley I can see them having a West Ham like start to next season (maybe not quite that bad) before finding their feet.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post May 1 2017, 09:36 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(Dobbo @ May 1 2017, 09:39 PM) *
They should in theory be the favourites for the title next season, the only team in the League to have two strong seasons in a row & if they can continue the form they're ending this season they'll be one of the hardest teams to play against.

However it very often doesn't work like that & with the move to Wembley I can see them having a West Ham like start to next season (maybe not quite that bad) before finding their feet.

Brighton have had two strong seasons in a row biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post May 1 2017, 10:01 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Very true, I should have included "Premier League".

Then I guess Bournemouth & West Brom have a case too, I mean in terms of fighting at the top anyway kink.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post May 1 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #7
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
If they hold on to all their best players and stay injury free. They could win the title next season. Providing they get over their Wembley hoodoo.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post May 1 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
Tottenham on current form are the best team in England at the moment, they should count themselves unlucky not to win the league this season. If they win all of their remaining league games then they will finish with 89 points which in almost any season would be enough to win the league but that near record equaling 13 game winning streak that Chelsea had between October - early January sealed the title for them.

The move to Wembley will be interesting because White Hart Lane has been a fortress very close to utopia levels for them in the league this season but Wembley proved to be the opposite in the Champions League. I would still view them as the early favourites for the Premier League next season.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post May 2 2017, 07:00 PM
Post #9
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
QUOTE(Houdini @ May 1 2017, 11:55 PM) *
Tottenham on current form are the best team in England at the moment, they should count themselves unlucky not to win the league this season. If they win all of their remaining league games then they will finish with 89 points which in almost any season would be enough to win the league but that near record equaling 13 game winning streak that Chelsea had between October - early January sealed the title for them.
The move to Wembley will be interesting because White Hart Lane has been a fortress very close to utopia levels for them in the league this season but Wembley proved to be the opposite in the Champions League. I would still view them as the early favourites for the Premier League next season.

Chelsea will be favourites again if they win the league, and rightly so. Spurs will be up there, but Wembley will hinder them. I'm pretty sure the likes of Bournemouth/Newcastle/West Brom/West Ham/Stoke/Swansea (if they stay) have never actually played at Wembley so I think it will add an extra incentive to those types of teams.

A lot will depend on who goes and stays in the summer. Looks like Walker is off, but I think Trippier is a good replacement. If they lose Rose though, I think that could cost them as Davies is nowhere near the level of Rose.

+Quote this post
Silas
post May 2 2017, 07:12 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
Spurs' season next year really does hinge on two things. Not losing players over summer and being able to perform at Wembley. Current indications are that they will lose a few key people but not all and that their home form next year will be shite.

Really will be interesting to see how they take to the new ground the year after as well. Potentially a couple of years of slip-ups ahead for them compared to the remaining big teams who are all stable in their grounds (until Chelsea move)

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post May 2 2017, 09:23 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I'd be surprised if too many of their players go, the big performers all look very settled there & unless they go abroad (which for the English players is highly unlikely) I can't see why they would leave for another Premier League side. (Money talks tho ofc)

As has been mentioned they have decent back-ups at full back, they just need another striker & perhaps another CB as Janssen & Wimmer aren't exactly great replacements in case of injuries etc.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post May 2 2017, 10:38 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(Rooney @ May 2 2017, 08:00 PM) *
Chelsea will be favourites again if they win the league, and rightly so. Spurs will be up there, but Wembley will hinder them. I'm pretty sure the likes of Bournemouth/Newcastle/West Brom/West Ham/Stoke/Swansea (if they stay) have never actually played at Wembley so I think it will add an extra incentive to those types of teams.

A lot will depend on who goes and stays in the summer. Looks like Walker is off, but I think Trippier is a good replacement. If they lose Rose though, I think that could cost them as Davies is nowhere near the level of Rose.

Bournemouth have played at Wembley in a play-off final.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post May 2 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #13
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
QUOTE(Dobbo @ May 2 2017, 10:23 PM) *
I'd be surprised if too many of their players go, the big performers all look very settled there & unless they go abroad (which for the English players is highly unlikely) I can't see why they would leave for another Premier League side. (Money talks tho ofc)

As has been mentioned they have decent back-ups at full back, they just need another striker & perhaps another CB as Janssen & Wimmer aren't exactly great replacements in case of injuries etc.

The thing is their players will be driven by trophies. It's sad, but I would say if they don't win anything in the next 1-2 seasons the likes of Kane/Dele could be tempted. Of course they would love to win things with Spurs (the former certainly) but money talks.

In a lot of ways this Spurs team remind me of the Liverpool side of 07-09 (apart from the consistent challenging in Europe). Great first XI, decent squad, but you feel they're one singing away from being exceptional.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:24 PM