BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Emma Bunton - 'A Girl Like Me', 2001 • 1st Album / 20.04.24: Pink Vinyl for Record Store Day
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Apr 15 2021, 11:01 PM
Post #21
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
Today's date - 16th April - marks 20 years since the release of Emma's debut solo album ohmy.gif cheer.gif

I absolutely loved What Took You So Long?, so my excitement for the album's release was high - but on first listen the rest of the album didn't really grab me to the extent that song did... although I was drawn to Take My Breath Away (so I was pleased when that ended up being the next single). It's a pleasantly breezy album, and I'd say exactly what would be expected from Emma at that point - cute, but safe. Some tracks grew on me over time - Better Be Careful is a bit of a bop cool2.gif Ultimately I like it, but there is a sense that she could have pushed herself more. Thankfully she did just that a couple of years later!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post Apr 16 2021, 08:55 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
In interviews i remember her saying she wanted a Janet Jackson sound anyone else recall this?

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Apr 16 2021, 09:04 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
Happy birthday A Girl Like Me wub.gif

You are not perfect, but you are a cute girl and with some gem of songs. I'm gonna give you a couple spins today cheer.gif

Favourites are:

What Took You So Long? Quite amazing how enduringly great this song is. It was a BANGER back then and it is so even today! Whilst it isnt the song that I listen to the most, everytime I do, I absolutely adore it! A well deserved hit that should be more iconic today than it is (even though it is pretty well known still!)

Take My Breath Away classy, gorgeous. Must admit that I didnt love it back then but with time, it has really grown to be one of my favourite of her singles

Better Be Careful You know I have started to love this with time. It's now a 8 out of 10

A World WIthout You It should have been the 3rd single! End of.

Been There, Done That It's cute, and whilst it sound very dated, it is actually quite a nice song

Apart from those, I think High On Love is cute too and Sunshine on a Rainy Day would have been a nice Summer single in 2002. The rest is a bit too middle of the road for me, unfortunately.

But I have grown to appreciate the album as a whole more than I did back then. Still hope it gets a vinyl print one day!

So sad that so many amazing albums from late 1990s/early 2000s didnt get a vinyl release and most probably wont get one nowadays. All three of Emma's albums would certainly benefit a lot from such a release...

+Quote this post
Alberto!
post Apr 16 2021, 12:26 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 39,843
See, with debut solo albums and albums released 20 years ago I struggle not to see them through rose-coloured glasses.

I was 12, obsessed with anything Spice and buzzing every time they were announcing something solo, especially when it was the first time they were going at it alone with a full album (which at the time was quite a big thing). So no matter how rarely I go back to them in full now, these are songs I've listened to so many times, know the lyrics of, and have some sort of memory-linked undying enthusiasm even if now some sound objectively mediocre, cause they worked so well with me at the time.

The only songs I felt were slightly less impressive at the time were Sunshine On A Rainy Day and Better Be Careful - even BT,DT and SWAFOM sounded good to me because of that early naughties pop-rnb feel to them and I was very into it at the time.

+Quote this post
Babyboy
post Dec 10 2021, 08:15 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,611
Track by Track from Emma:

WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?

My latest single and I love the guitar in it. I had a fantastic time making the video in the desert in California and I wanted the sound to have a country feel.

TAKE MY BREATH AWAY

One of the first songs I wrote and it's about Jade. I wanted to get across how it feels when you fall for someone. Musically, it's quite guitary and I love it so much I would like it to be my next single.

WORLD WITHOUT YOU

I wrote this when I was in New York and it's about how you miss your friends and family when you're away from home.

HIGH ON LOVE

My favourite on the album and it's about my mum. I wrote it when I moved away from home and it tells of the unconditional love that a mother has for a child. It's quiet and influenced by Sade - I was listening to her stuff a lot at the time.

A GIRL LIKE ME

An up-tempo track that's meant to reflect my personality - someone who strives really hard to do their best.

SPELL IT O.U.T.

Semi-acoustic with strong vocals, it's based on the experiences of friends and is about when you know a relationship has ended but the other person doesn't want to hear it.

SUNSHINE ON A RAINY DAY

A great dance track and I was unsure whether to include another cover on the album (the other is What I Am). I recorded it with Tin Tin Out and we included a massive gospel choir.

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT

An R&B track about when you've been in a relationship for a long time and you want to move on to the next stage. It's like when you're at school and a boy tells you he's seeing you but he's not actually your boyfriend.

BETTER BE CAREFUL

This one has a real Motown feel. I'm a huge Motown fan so this is a tribute really. The lyrics are about when you fancy some guy at school and you don't know his name but you get really dressed up and follow him around the playground.

WE'RE NOT GONNA SLEEP TONIGHT

Written for my girls - they all know who they are. It's about having a girls' night out.

SHE WAS A FRIEND OF MINE

NOT about Geri Halliwell, despite what people might think. This tells of the betrayal when one of your friends goes off with your boyfriend. It's based on something that happened to a friend.

WHAT I AM

I had to put this one on the album because I had such great fun recording it with Tin Tin Out.

source: The Sun

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Dec 10 2021, 09:15 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
She was a friend of mine is CLEARLY about Geri haha

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Dec 10 2021, 10:43 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(spiceboy @ Dec 10 2021, 10:15 PM) *
She was a friend of mine is CLEARLY about Geri haha

How? It's about a girl who is a friend and steals her man blink.gif

Unless Gerita did have a romance with Simon behind Emma's back and that was what made her leave in the first place??!?!?!

GAYS AND GIRLIES, THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION!!!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Dec 10 2021, 11:50 PM
Post #28
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
Funny that this thread would be bumped today - today marks 20 years since the single release of We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post Dec 10 2021, 11:51 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574
I don’t think it’s about Geri.

I suspect Whatchu Talkin Bout was though.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post Dec 11 2021, 12:23 AM
Post #30
Group icon
---
User: 17,418
Take My Breath Away is such a lovely song.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Dec 11 2021, 12:42 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(schizo_spice @ Dec 11 2021, 12:51 AM) *

well, that was confirmed by Vicky Bex herself teresa.gif

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post Dec 11 2021, 12:58 AM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Dec 11 2021, 12:42 AM) *
well, that was confirmed by Vicky Bex herself teresa.gif

Was it? I don’t even remember that.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Dec 11 2021, 09:01 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(schizo_spice @ Dec 10 2021, 11:51 PM) *

Doh I’m getting mixed up with this song!! 🙈🤣

+Quote this post
Babyboy
post Mar 23 2022, 10:32 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,611
Biffco team explained the working for WTYSL

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/biffco-productions?amp

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post Mar 24 2022, 02:02 AM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576
I don't think Emma wrote any song about the girls

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Apr 2 2022, 10:56 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

HAPPY 21st TO THIS ABSOLUTE POP GEM

I wonder if there has been any sales updates? Would be amazing to know... Shall we spam the Official Charts account?

or maybe @JAY has any updates for us girlies??? w00t.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Apr 2 2022, 11:18 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
I mean it is nice she acknowledges these anniversaries on social media but it is all a bit 'zero effort'.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Apr 2 2022, 11:22 AM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Apr 2 2022, 11:18 AM) *
I mean it is nice she acknowledges these anniversaries on social media but it is all a bit 'zero effort'.

I know... dry.gif I hope she does something for the 25th anniversary of her first album but I have zero hopes ah... As a solo artist she is no longer with the original record company (now EMI right?...) so I guess it will be quite hard for her to do anything unless the record company decides to do something...

I was just in England for a work visit and went into a few HMVs and it seems her MHP CD and Delux are well stocked which is nice to see, so hopefully its sales are kind of slowly ticking... The standard CD and cassette have sold out on her store, only the vinyl and the delux left there...

Hopefully if she releases more music (LOL) we will get to know some updates? It would be nice to see her get out of the house to do some music for once pirate.gif

This post has been edited by Mr.X: Apr 2 2022, 11:24 AM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Apr 2 2022, 12:43 PM
Post #39
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
My rating of each track on Emma's debut solo effort 'A Girl Like Me'

1. What Took You So Long - 10/10
2. Take My Breath Away - 8/10
3. A World Without You - 9/10
4. High On Love - 8/10
5. A Girl Like Me - 7/10
6. Spell It O.U.T. - 6/10
7. Sunshine On A Rainy Day - 6/10
8. Been There Done That - 5/10
9. Better Be Careful - 7/10
10. We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight - 7/10
11. She Was A Friend of Mine - 6/10
12. What I Am - 8/10

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Apr 2 2022, 09:12 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Blond 2.0 @ Mar 24 2022, 03:02 AM) *
I don't think Emma wrote any song about the girls

How funny I was just about to type "I think she was a friend of mine" is about Geri, completely forgetting the previous posts laugh.gif Again getting that and What you talking about mixed up laugh.gif

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

2 user(s) reading this thread
+ 2 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:33 PM