BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2018: Week #18, i'm penthouse, you're trap house // + links + writeup
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 10th May 2018, 02:03 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Azealia holds the top spot for a second week against strong risers from Rebecca & Fiona, Lily Allen and Nicki Minaj. Jorja Smith also scores her first top ten this week with the brilliant Blue Lights which is for me, so many orders of magnitude better than her Stormzy collab Let You Down. Lily's Higher has really grown on me this month and ends up outpeaking Trigger Bang, while Rebecca & Fiona hit heights they haven't seen since I discovered them back in 2012. Chun-Li is also really lining up to be a top spot threat next week - if it made it, it would only be Nicki's third chart topper for me, probably not a great show for a Nicki forum mod!

Highest new entry this week goes to the return of Ariana Grande; No Tears Left To Cry debuts just outside this week's top ten. It's Grande's ninth top 40 and 8th top 20 appearance for me, only Focus missed that milestone.
Other brand new tracks debuting this week come from GoldFish, Cardi B, a posthumous one for Avicii that I've been using as a tribute of sorts, Basenji, Lykke Li, BoTalks, Zapata, En Vogue, Kimbra, Nitty Scott, Warpaint, Bjork, Young Thug, and Dita Von Teese, who's released a solo album. Who knew?
I'll link the videos to those a bit later in the week to save you having to imagine what they sound like biggrin.gif

If you can't wait of course, feel free to check out my (linked) spotify playlists at the bottom of this post where you'll find them and a bunch of other great tracks wink.gif

For this first week of May, a little late, here's the whole top 40 list:

01 Azealia Banks - Anna Wintour [4-3-1-1]
02 Rebecca & Fiona - Need You [37-14-6-2]
03 Lily Allen - Higher [17-3]
04 Nicki Minaj - Chun-Li [31-13-4]
05 Era Istrefi ft. DJ Maphorisa - Origami [24-11-3-5]
06 Jorja Smith - Blue Lights [11-6]
07 Snakehips ft. St Rulez - Cruzin [25-9-7]
08 Calvin Harris ft. Dua Lipa - One Kiss [12-8-8]
09 Leon Lour x Loosid - Oceans (Remix) [22-9]
10 Kylie - Stop Me from Falling [35-4-5-1-1-2-10]
11 Sean Paul ft. David Guetta + Becky G - Mad Love [18-3-4-4-11]
12 Tinashe ft. French Montana + Ty Dolla $ign - Me So Bad [10-7-7-12]
13 Ariana Grande - No Tears Left to Cry [N]
14 GoldFish ft. Dimmi - Just Me Now [N]
15 London Grammar - Leave the War with Me [38-15]
16 Halsey ft. Big Sean + Stefflon Don - Alone [16-16]
17 Embrace - Where You Sleeping [34-17]
18 Avicii ft. AlunaGeorge - What Would I Change It To [N]
19 Cardi B ft. Migos - Drip [N]
20 Basenji ft. Tkay Maidza - Mistakes [N]
21 Sabrina Carpenter ft. Jonas Blue - Alien [26-6-5-5-21]
22 Whinnie Williams - What About Me [22-19-5-6-14-22]
23 Loren North - In Too Deep [18-23]
24 Lykke Li - Deep End [N]
25 BoTalks ft. Sarah Hyland - Know U Anymore [N]
26 Zapata - Big Things [N]
27 Swae Lee ft. Rae Sremmurd - Hurt to Look [32-20-27]
28 Kimbra - Lightyears [N]
29 Nitty Scott ft. Zap Mama - La Diaspora [N]
30 En Vogue - Life [N]
31 Alina Baraz - Coming to My Senses [26-23-31]
32 Alpines - Another River [24-32]
33 Zayn - Let Me [16-27-33]
34 Warpaint - Heads Up [N]
35 Yellow Claw ft. Valentina - Villain [40-17-26-35]
36 Ralph - September Fades [34-21-21-36]
37 Mat Kearney - Face to Face [32-37]
38 Dita Von Teese - Fevers and Candies [N]
39 Young Thug ft. Nicki Minaj - Anybody [N]
40 Bjork ft. Arca + serpentwithfeet - Blissing Me [N]

#1s this year:
Inna – Nirvana (1)
Eminem ft. Ed Sheeran – River (1)
Femme En Fourrure ft. Pykari – Ride (2)
Simian Ghost – Eat The Rich (1)
MGMT – When You Die (1)
Chvrches – Get Out (1)
M.O ft. Lotto Boyzz + Mr Eazi – Bad Vibe (1)
Jhene Aiko ft. Rae Sremmurd – Sativa (1)
Paloma Faith – Til I'm Done (1)
HAIM – You Never Knew (1)
Rae Sremmurd ft. Juicy J – Powerglide (1)
Tinashe ft. Offset – No Drama (1)
Inna – Tropical (1)
Kylie Minogue – Stop Me From Falling (2)
Azealia Banks – Anna Wintour (~)

My spotify picks arrow right.gif {A-List} arrow right.gif {B-List} arrow right.gif {C-List}

This post has been edited by Jόpiter: 14th May 2018, 10:25 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 14th May 2018, 10:24 PM
Post #2
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

I know you all like new tunes, so here are 15! This week's new entries in video form are:

Ms Grande smashes in as this week's highest debut with comeback song No Tears Left To Cry. The 90s-early noughties influenced tune returns Ari to dancepop from the more varied sounds she explored in her Dangerous Woman era, with a little 90s R&B flair too for added flavour. Her diction's still not great, but everything about this screams on-trend hit, and it's good to have one of the big pop girls embracing on-trend music wholeheartedly. Possible #1 threat for me.

South African electroswing/dance outfit GoldFish are close behind with what becomes their highest charter for me. The Sigala-flavoured track is a slice of poppy EDM that sounds great in the sun and just missed out on being my BJSC entry this month. Give it a proper video!

The late Avicii debuts with AlunaGeorge collab What Would I Change It To. I've been listening to the song a fair bit as a swan song for the sadly deceased DJ and in light of his passing, it takes on a different and stronger meaning with its thoughtful lyrics and midtempo, semi-acoustic structure and style. RIP!

Just behind it, completely different, is Cardi B's solo collab with Migos, Drip. While I'm still not so enthused by the not particularly creative collab choice, the song is a grower and one of my faves I've heard from Cardi so far, despite its simplicity.

Tkay Maidza returns to my charts after a three year gap with Basenji collab Mistakes. The tune sees her dropping her normal style for a speaking and singing collab with a blasting chorus, it's cool to see her trying something new and excelling. I'm reminded a little of Becky G by this one.

Lykke Li's Deep End debuts at #24 this week; I can't get enough of her new and unexpected urban-trap direction. As part of liv, she charted two songs in my top 40 in 2017. I've also been a fan since her EP days near ten years ago now.

BoTalks debuts a new track this week following up top ten F*** It with Caroline Pennell. The featured artist here some of you may know better as Haley Dunphy from Modern Family - yes, she sings too!

En Vogue's Life, Bjork's Blissing Me (single remix) and Zapata's Big Things all flow quite well together...

as do Nitty Scott and Minaj and Young Thug's Anybody.

This week closes with an indie triple from Dita Von Teese, Warpaint, and Kimbra. It's Dita's debut, Warpaint's 11th and Kimbra's 7th top 40 charter, with no doubt more to come from her newly-released 3rd studio album Primal Heart. It's out now, so check it out!

Next week will see the debut of my ACTUAL BJSC entry for this month, and another potential that just missed out this time, along with a new #1! So keep an eye out for that.
In the meantime, please feel free to comment if you have any thoughts or see anything you like here!

+Quote this post
Tombo
post 14th May 2018, 10:27 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543

Heya Jupiter, big climb for Lily this week!

I quite like the new Young Thug and Nicki entry, although I've not listened to it in a while

Nice climb for Chun-Li too!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 15th May 2018, 07:13 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hello Jupiter!
Great debuts for "No Tears Left To Cry" and "What Would I Change It To"!
Great chart overall!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 03:01 AM