BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Your most surprising DNQ and qualifier, In your opinion...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
gooddelta
post Apr 8 2021, 11:07 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
What do you consider to be your most surprising DNQ, to the point that you maybe thought you had a smash on your hands and really didn't see it coming. And similarly, what is the one song that you took to the final that you most expected to DNQ?

Ignoring the much discussed Headhunted by Mira Craig and Spin My World by DJ Kent feat The Arrows, my big shock DNQ that I keep coming back to from 'recent' times is Mary Keanes Introduction by Daithi, in early 2017.

It did redeem itself with a top three Rejects finish but I was honestly astounded this failed to qualify, such an incredibly unique dance song with the old Irish woman telling a charming love story. I had thought it was a very safe top ten finish actually laugh.gif

In terms of shocking qualifiers, I'm not sure I was expecting much from Spacetrain's Salsa Me, yet it won the semi! And then flopped in the bottom five of the final in a dire turnaround of fortune, but it still exceeded my expectations. Also, it didn't qualify but Safari's gospel song I Need You came very close to doing so, when I'd expected it to struggle to double digit points in the semi, in fact I wondered if it would be a nul pointer!

But the one that really really surprised me at the time was Ilumbarada by Ortiga, which actually finished 5th in the final, when I was pretty certain it was going to DNQ at the time - I was elated with how well it did.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: Apr 8 2021, 11:08 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Apr 8 2021, 11:34 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Most surprising DNQ by far was this:

This type of trashy dance almost always does well. My similar sounding entry TEPR - Taste Of Love finished top 10!

Most surprising qualifier was this:

Was still relatively new to the contest then so didn't have such a good idea on what "sounded" like a qualifier but I was pushing my luck with my Q streak at this stage and didn't think this one would make it so was more relieved when it did. First ever DNQ with the next entry anyway...

+Quote this post
p a v
post Apr 8 2021, 11:46 AM
Post #3
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
omfg thank you for reminding me of Headhunted. Still a BOP *.*

+Quote this post
danG
post Apr 8 2021, 12:05 PM
Post #4
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
this one will always be the infamous DNQ of ours, being one of the big festival house anthems of the early 2010s and tipped for big success in the odds thread.

and this is still the most surprising Q of mine given the context of our run at the time, we’d been DNQing pretty much all year in 2012 with mostly dancepop then this being a progressive house instrumental ends up actually making it.

in more recent times I was a bit surprised Boris Brejcha managed to Q for me, even with the song being one of my favourite ever entries. I also thought the Vassy song was a sure fire hit yet that got me one of my worst ever semi bombs.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Apr 8 2021, 12:12 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
My most surprising DNQ was probably 'Do It Again' by SOLDOUT - it sounded like it could do well, they had previously taken me to victory in Worldvision with 'To The Ocean' and it had really good odds. It at least got some Rejects redemption!

Most surprising Q was probably 'hazy iii' by Yoshitaka Hirota as it was a very niche sound but it clearly had enough big fans to carry it through. It didn't exactly light up the final, with a 34th place position, but I was shocked that it was there in the first place.

+Quote this post
152chris
post Apr 8 2021, 12:22 PM
Post #6
Group icon
down with jakewild
User: 10,105
gawd i RLY thought i had smashes on my hands with both scandinavia and str8 outta mumbai! scandinavia esp i listened to again for the first time in AGES this week (when i was compiling my bjsc history lol) and i still don't understand what happened.

my biggest surprise hit was prob tear the house up, is it still statistically the least popular winner ever?

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 8 2021, 12:28 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
There's a handful of my DNQs I got quite hyped up about, only to have them bomb. I think this was the biggest though cos it had an epic sound, I was receiving a lot more hype than usual for it with many declaring it the best in the whole contest, it also performed the best of all my entries in Rejects.

My most surprising Q is probably this as it was a very niche sound that wasn't getting a lot of hype at all and received pretty much unanimous DNQ predictions, usually when this happens I can see it coming, but not with this one and it actually went on to do better than I thought in the final too (shoutout also to ADULT. - Why Always Why from last year which I had similarly already resigned myself to flopping!)

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Apr 8 2021, 12:29 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804
Some of my most surprising flops would have to be Elliot Lee and KEYS&CAGES as I expected more people to be fans to see them safely through. As for the surprise qualifiers I'd have to say VNV Nation from January literally because I already sent them a few years prior and they missed out.. tbh I'm still taken aback as to how it came so close to winning laugh.gif biggest surprise hit for sure. On a smaller note I didn't expect Alice Gray to even come anywhere near to qualifying. Was thinking low 20's DNQ for that one!

This post has been edited by Rob S: Apr 8 2021, 12:31 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Apr 8 2021, 01:00 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Hello?
I guess a lot of these DNQs fell in ‘the wrong semi’ because there are some seriously big sounding songs being posted here. Especially the two from Chris.

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Apr 8 2021, 01:07 PM
Post #10
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

This definitely. I was CONVINCED I was on for a Top 10 finish LOL. I also would make a case for Howling - Howling (Ame Remix) but that kind of sound would do a lot better today than it did then, and I knew it was a big risk.

In terms of ones I did NOT expect to qualify:

And got 32nd, 20th, 4th and 1st respectively.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Apr 8 2021, 01:14 PM
Post #11
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
At the time I was very surprised and gutted that this DNQd as I thought it sounded like a qualifier at least...

This one definitely caught me off guard though, and I blame some of you guys for telling me it'd do better than Isac Elliot - Weekend kink.gif

As for surprising Qs, I remember not expecting much of this one when I entered but it was a delightful surprise to see it get through!

+Quote this post
RobBot
post Apr 8 2021, 01:23 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117
I've been burnt both times I tried sending K-Pop and I genuinely think 'Heroine' is the best SUNMI that's been sent, while all of her other entries qualified, so I was quite shocked and disappointed by that failing to qualify!

My most surprising qualifier, was me having nothing and pretty much admitting defeat by sending Julia Volkova because me & Yu found it funny, and then it actually didn't do badly?

Still an iconic song though, I stand by that xo

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Apr 8 2021, 01:26 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
QUOTE(✖ leww ✖ @ Apr 8 2021, 02:07 PM) *

And got 32nd, 20th, 4th and 1st respectively.

Moan was such a landmark winner in BJSC - completely changed perceptions of what could do well wub.gif

I was so happy when it won but secretly gutted that I'd never been brave enough to send Trentemøller before laugh.gif

+Quote this post
seven.
post Apr 8 2021, 01:48 PM
Post #14
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428
Hard to think of many DNQs I was surprised by, I expect almost all my entries to not qualify laugh.gif The closest would be Happier i guess since people were tipping it as a contender at the time

and for surprise qualifers, well...

+Quote this post
k👠th
post Apr 8 2021, 02:11 PM
Post #15
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

Both really undeserved DNQs but not surprising I guess since Kathaldazia are slept on in general smile.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Apr 8 2021, 02:15 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Hello?
And Jamali Kath! Crazy, crazy DNQ, gorgeous song.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post Apr 8 2021, 02:25 PM
Post #17
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Apr 8 2021, 04:15 PM) *
And Jamali Kath! Crazy, crazy DNQ, gorgeous song.

Oh god and that was truly tragic! cry.gif BJSC letting an actual girl band DNQ #kathaldaziacurse

'Spin My World' was massively robbed too! One of my all-time faves and a huge hit here in SA!

Poor Lewwisha being surprised by Moaning!

+Quote this post
coi
post Apr 8 2021, 02:32 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240
ohmy.gif From before I was even aware this forum existed but I really enjoyed Goodbye by Feder at the time! Also before my time but Howling (Âme Remix) deserved better too.

As for my own entries, I don't think any of the DNQs were a huge surprise to me, I just wanted to send them because I loved them really. Indeed, none of them came particularly close to making it through either but this was one of the more popular DNQs, I think 2502 was rather underrated!

My most surprising Q would definitely be Meditations On Loss (sadly the music video has gone now though), I really enjoyed it but it didn't seem to me like it would do as well as it did!

+Quote this post
Silas
post Apr 8 2021, 02:52 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
In terms of things I didn't expect to Quali, then this is absolutely something I had nailed on as a DNQ

I still absolutely love it, and I am so so pleased that it did make it through to the final.

Otherwise I am not to surprised when an entry qualifies because I don't send something I am not wholly in love with at that point in time so I tend to back my own entires extremely highly.

When it comes to unjust DNQs imma focus only on ones pre-BJSC C because Im still too irritated about some of the more recent ones to be objective.

First off I am still pure raging this didn't Qualify

12 years old and STILL sounds absolutely banging.

Still think this was at least worthy of a 17-27 placing in the final

Also still don't get how this failed. Its so bouncy and uplifting.

Trashyelectrofempop perfection.

Still absolutely furious about this one too. I can only assume people saw the artist and then just didn't listen to the song. Because there is no other rational explanation for how this didn't qualify.

Edit - This one I understand (#BJSCSoEnglish) but i am still sad about

+Quote this post
Silas
post Apr 8 2021, 02:53 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
QUOTE(b @ Apr 8 2021, 01:46 PM) *
omfg thank you for reminding me of Headhunted. Still a BOP *.*

This DNQing might be BJSCs highest crime.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:03 AM