BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 2017 GE: Volatile Voting, Random Results
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
vidcapper
post Sep 5 2017, 06:23 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
Thought this might be of interest...

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/latest-...lection-report/
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Sep 6 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Sep 5 2017, 07:23 AM) *

For me, the article makes a good case for changing the voting system.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Sep 7 2017, 07:42 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Sep 6 2017, 03:31 PM) *
For me, the article makes a good case for changing the voting system.

Tbf, I wouldn't expect anything less from the Electoral Reform Society laugh.gif

I hope to find time to read it soon.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Sep 8 2017, 05:21 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Sep 7 2017, 08:42 PM) *
Tbf, I wouldn't expect anything less from the Electoral Reform Society laugh.gif

I was very disappointed with the choice we were offered in the 2011 Voting Reform referendum - the Alternative Vote is *not* a proportional system, and was probably chosen to be the least appealing to those who did want change.

+Quote this post
Baytree
post Sep 8 2017, 12:25 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 334
The Single Transferable Vote system which we use in Scotland for local elections, is a nightmare to count. However it is much more proportional.

This government has no respect for democracy no matter what system is used. They want to rule by statute and cut out as much debate as they can in Westminster.

A Tory in a key seat didn't get elected at the GE. He was immediately made a Lord and attached to the Scottish Office.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post Sep 8 2017, 12:40 PM
Post #6
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480
AMS! AMS!

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Sep 8 2017, 01:31 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
STV! STV!

For local government at least.

I'm still quite fond of AV, and baffled by the idea that it's somehow worse than FPTP.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Sep 8 2017, 01:41 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
QUOTE(Soy Adrián @ Sep 8 2017, 02:31 PM) *
I'm still quite fond of AV, and baffled by the idea that it's somehow worse than FPTP.

Agreed. I heard so much stuff about tactical voting between Lib and Lab supporters during the last election (it's Cornwall, there at least WAS an argument) - and none of that would have been an issue with AV, let alone some of the even better systems we could have been looking into by now.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Sep 8 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
QUOTE(Baytree @ Sep 8 2017, 12:25 PM) *
The Single Transferable Vote system which we use in Scotland for local elections, is a nightmare to count. However it is much more proportional.

This government has no respect for democracy no matter what system is used. They want to rule by statute and cut out as much debate as they can in Westminster.

A Tory in a key seat didn't get elected at the GE. He was immediately made a Lord and attached to the Scottish Office.

PREACH BAYLEAF!!!

Its is the same problem as with Empire - the Tories want to rule as kings and not represent the average person, just like with the colonies.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Sep 8 2017, 02:19 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(MoistSummerFruit @ Sep 8 2017, 03:12 PM) *
PREACH BAYLEAF!!!

Its is the same problem as with Empire - the Tories eant to rule as kings

Did you meant 'learnt, or 'want'? unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Sep 8 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Baytree @ Sep 8 2017, 01:25 PM) *

STV has always been my preferred system. It is highly proportional and puts the power in the hands of the voters.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post Sep 8 2017, 10:33 PM
Post #12
Group icon
DROTTNING!
STV is so DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND though. So many ordinarily intelligent people (SOMEHOW) end up confused by AV and come out with all sorts of nonsense about not using your second preferences to ensure their first preference gets elected - I SHUDDER TO THINK what the average voter would make of Droop quotas and Saint-Lagüe systems and the like.

But you CAN'T go WRONG with a CONSTITUENCY AND A LIST

This post has been edited by Qassändra: Sep 8 2017, 11:38 PM

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Sep 8 2017, 11:20 PM
Post #13
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
QUOTE(Qassändra @ Sep 8 2017, 11:33 PM) *
It's so DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND though. So many ordinarily intelligent people (SOMEHOW) end up confused by AV and come out with all sorts of nonsense about not using your second preferences to ensure their first preference gets elected - I SHUDDER TO THINK what the average voter would make of Droop quotas and Saint-Lagüe systems and the like.

AMS works really well for Holyrood! All the parties are roughly correctly represented and it means no party can ram through legislation (if we used the same system as Westminster that labour/the tories both still support then the SNP would have literally nearly all the seats, even as a SNP supporter I can say that would be really unfair), my only issue is that candidates who have been massively rejected in constituency seats (Tory MSP Annie Wells got 8.6% of the vote in her constituency but still got in via the list) can get in despite being personally rejected, and the parties can basically choose who's in parliament without them having to win many constituency seats which results in some voters not having the opportunity to throw out their MSP like you can in Westminster. I would change it either so you can't stand on the list if you are in a constituency or only a certain number of 'constituency rejects' can be elected for a party (say 1 per region then it goes to people who weren't constituency candidates) OR randomize the party list candidates. Hope that made sense laugh.gif

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Sep 9 2017, 05:27 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Paul Hyett
STV is so DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND though.

What's so difficult about ranking candidates in order of preference?

You don't need to know the technicalities, any more than you need to know how a bus works in order to ride in it... wink.gif

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post Sep 9 2017, 02:23 PM
Post #15
Group icon
DROTTNING!
Well, notionally nothing, but it's what happens when you get into the realms of people tactically voting. You'd think ordering 1 to 5 wouldn't be that hard to understand, but you still have people regularly coming out with UTTER NONSENSE like "I gave you all five of my votes" or "only vote for this candidate first preference and don't use any of your other preferences to make sure they win!". With the discovery that yes, some people really ARE that stupid, sticking to just one X each for a constituency and a list seems much more appealing.

+Quote this post
Baytree
post Sep 9 2017, 03:03 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 334
STV is so DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND though. So many ordinarily intelligent people (SOMEHOW) end up confused by AV and come out with all sorts of nonsense about not using your second preferences to ensure their first preference gets elected - I SHUDDER TO THINK what the average voter would make of Droop quotas and Saint-Lagüe systems and the like.

Yes, you can. It's good that smaller parties get better representation but you end up with major parties' numpties who have trailled in 3rd or 4th in a constituency seat getting list seats.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post Sep 9 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #17
Group icon
DROTTNING!
I was more referring to people not being confused by the voting system.

On the point though, how often is the constituency result really down to THEM? And I can't speak for the Tories, but I know that Labour and the Lib Dems at least have internal democracy on how high up the list a candidate ends up, so they have to prove themselves as much through selection as any constituency candidate does.

This post has been edited by Qassändra: Sep 9 2017, 06:36 PM

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Sep 9 2017, 06:48 PM
Post #18
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
QUOTE(Qassändra @ Sep 9 2017, 07:35 PM) *
I was more referring to people not being confused by the voting system.

On the point though, how often is the constituency result really down to THEM? And I can't speak for the Tories, but I know that Labour and the Lib Dems at least have internal democracy on how high up the list a candidate ends up, so they have to prove themselves as much through selection as any constituency candidate does.

Well yes, but when it comes to people who are already constituency MPs it means that voters can't just boot them out like they should be able to.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Sep 9 2017, 06:53 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Sep 9 2017, 06:27 AM) *
What's so difficult about ranking candidates in order of preference?

You don't need to know the technicalities, any more than you need to know how a bus works in order to ride in it... wink.gif

Precisely. The count is indeed complicated, but that isn't the individual voter's problem. Besides, other countries use it. Are people saying that British voters are less intelligent than those of other countries?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Sep 9 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

With STV you have constituencies and you have a list of candidates.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:29 PM