BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
21 Pages V  « < 19 20 21  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> POPHub: THE FINALE, live_from_Stefani.results
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
dandy*
post 7th December 2023, 10:40 PM
Post #401
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Yeah realistically it’s unlikely that Ben has missed out on a big hit if it finished 20th in the semi final. Getting an AQ next time for this song feels like a double punishment in a way as it’s likely to finish pretty low in the final given its form here.

If it were me then I think I’d rather just send something different.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Colm
post 7th December 2023, 10:48 PM
Post #402
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

QUOTE(dandy* @ Dec 7 2023, 10:40 PM) *
Yeah realistically it’s unlikely that Ben has missed out on a big hit if it finished 20th in the semi final.

You say that, but I went from 16th in the semi to 12th in the final.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 7th December 2023, 10:51 PM
Post #403
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Yeah it’s not impossible… but it does remain unlikely. You have to have quite a big ‘wrong semi’ effect to swing from 20th to a big hit

Up to the mods to do what they see as being the right thing, I’m sure they’ll make a sensible decision

+Quote this post
Brer
post 7th December 2023, 11:29 PM
Post #404
Group icon
stick my flag in the dirt, watch it blow
User: 8,300

I've raised the issue in the mod forum and didn't want to comment until the other mods have replied but I will say that I definitely wouldn't want to have the same song appearing in 2 different contests for any reason (and I'm not sure Ben would want that either for the reason dandy* said!) - I'm open to the idea of granting an auto-qualifier in the next contest but please don't take this post as a guarantee that will happen as I'm not a dictator here x

This isn't the first time something like this has happened and indeed there's no previous precedent for the response to be anything more than an apology (not that that means we can't change that now ofc). There have been a few more cases where errors in the semi spreadsheets have been spotted a lot quicker so the incorrect DNQs were just allowed into the final without throwing out the 'wrong' qualifier, but in this case unfortunately Callum didn't notice it until very close to the deadline by which point it was much too late to do that without serious disruption to the contest as I believe at least 20 or so people had already voted.

There's only so much that can be done to ensure that the semi results are 100% accurate short of the rather extreme measure of making all of the votes viewable for the mods as well - ironically enough imaduck is in some sense the most reliable host we've ever had because I did have access to his semi spreadsheets so was able to see and verify all the votes ahead of semi results, but this is not something that I'd want to be the case every month (it does spoil a bit of the fun and mystery when you know the semi results already x), we can't expect every host to get the spreadsheet stuff totally right every time. Obviously it sucks for anyone who finds out they're denied a rightful qualifier but unfortunately it is kind of just part of the game that it happens every now and then (I think something like this even happened in the real Eurovision a couple of years ago laugh.gif) - realistically there are probably lots more incorrect DNQs from over the years that we don't even know about due to uncorrected and undetectable errors!

For what it's worth at least in this case Cadelicia did of course actually get more points than Ben's Sanctuary, so although Ben's Sanctuary should indeed rightfully have qualified, it would only have been by something of a fluke anyway.

Aside, I should also point out for transparency that there was another issue with the semi 2 spreadsheet as Republic of Adonia's votes accidentally got left off entirely at first - that didn't affect any of the qualifiers (Cadelicia and Ben's Sanctuary both got points and both stayed in the same position) but it has moved Tartford up to 22nd from the previously announced 27th.

(also the final spreadsheet is just missing Dobago's 18 to Abeltesfayeton and has a stray extra 2 points to Taahino in Séyetana's column)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 7th December 2023, 11:39 PM
Post #405
Group icon

~drama~ aside, Hendinia having another song turning out to be surprisingly close to DNQing despite its strong final position, really just shows that qualification streaks can be very fragile even for the big dogs...!

And seems 'Planet Of The Bass' was fairly lucky to qualify as it got 17 of its points from Mulgracia, New Lexico and Quintessa who then didn't vote in the final kink.gif (likewise Numayania getting 14 from Mulgracia and New Lexico actually).

+Quote this post
calxyum
post 8th December 2023, 12:10 AM
Post #406
Group icon
my caviar brings all the lords to the court~
Pronouns: he/him
User: 20,799

Reading the discourse I do feel awful. I was so happy that Ben accepted my prompt to take part, and then even still resubmitted following a veto. It was honestly as huge miscalculation on my part and I felt pretty terrible about it, but went to Bray as soon as I noticed it.

I may not have been the perfect host, but despite the stress I did enjoy it, and I hope this doesn’t leave a bad taste in anyone’s mouth.

Again I’m so sorry Ben, and to those where my horrible maths caused false expectations/results.

+Quote this post
Rap Codester
post 8th December 2023, 03:42 AM
Post #407
Group icon
Gia, do you know the order of the solos?
User: 21,308

QUOTE(dandy* @ Dec 7 2023, 02:51 PM) *
Yeah it’s not impossible… but it does remain unlikely. You have to have quite a big ‘wrong semi’ effect to swing from 20th to a big hit

Up to the mods to do what they see as being the right thing, I’m sure they’ll make a sensible decision
never will forget when Agolo went from barely qualifying to top 15 laugh.gif

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post 8th December 2023, 04:17 AM
Post #408
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
User: 275

Thank you very much for the mods team to checking at it. May I suggest something?

I would leave it at it. The error was not intentionally and Callum apologised for it and that‘s enough for me. wink.gif
I don‘t really want to have a free ticket to the next final, I would like to take part in the semis and earn the ticket to the final. (Also just for the excitement too if it gets through or not). Also I have a new song to enter and I’d rather want to send that to the next competition.

And at the end Callum did a good job as a host heart.gif

+Quote this post
calxyum
post 8th December 2023, 07:15 AM
Post #409
Group icon
my caviar brings all the lords to the court~
User: 20,799

QUOTE(*Ben* @ Dec 8 2023, 04:17 AM) *
Thank you very much for the mods team to checking at it. May I suggest something?

I would leave it at it. The error was not intentionally and Callum apologised for it and that‘s enough for me. wink.gif
I don‘t really want to have a free ticket to the next final, I would like to take part in the semis and earn the ticket to the final. (Also just for the excitement too if it gets through or not). Also I have a new song to enter and I’d rather want to send that to the next competition.

Thank you so much Ben for your grace! I feel like the only reparation that should come out of this is that I automatically owe you my 12/18 in the next contest (which I would be more than happy to honour)!!

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 8th December 2023, 09:03 AM
Post #410
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

I did wonder how I was able to qualify with a deduction and perform so poorly in the final! laugh.gif

Do I get to keep my qualifying streak? teresa.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 8th December 2023, 10:04 AM
Post #411
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(calxyum @ Dec 8 2023, 12:10 AM) *
Reading the discourse I do feel awful. I was so happy that Ben accepted my prompt to take part, and then even still resubmitted following a veto. It was honestly as huge miscalculation on my part and I felt pretty terrible about it, but went to Bray as soon as I noticed it.

I may not have been the perfect host, but despite the stress I did enjoy it, and I hope this doesn’t leave a bad taste in anyone’s mouth.

Again I’m so sorry Ben, and to those where my horrible maths caused false expectations/results.

Don't feel bad about it, spreadsheets were made for mistakes! moving house is stressful enough, and hosting is mighty stressful, it was still fab and Ben's been fab too, what a great gracious response! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Colm
post 8th December 2023, 11:00 AM
Post #412
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

Glad we're all so mature and sensible about this

Just thinking that this incident could have torn a new hole in the contest if this had happened with a few notable historical members and all the drama that would have ensued from that.

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 8th December 2023, 11:07 AM
Post #413
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

i think everybody it’s happened to in the past has been quite gracious on the whole but there’s one member in mind who wouldn’t be 😭

+Quote this post
Brer
post 8th December 2023, 03:33 PM
Post #414
Group icon

Fair then! Apologies again for the mixup, hopefully better luck next time.

QUOTE(Oliver @ Dec 8 2023, 09:03 AM) *
I did wonder how I was able to qualify with a deduction and perform so poorly in the final! laugh.gif

Do I get to keep my qualifying streak? teresa.gif

You do, the Q streak update is blind to controversies cool.gif (although might stick an asterisk on it x)

Still outrageous that Rosa didn't do better in the first place tbh sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 8th December 2023, 04:36 PM
Post #415
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Yes, agreed with all of this!! Also, Ben has agreed to give me hid auto veto for next contest!!! cheer.gif cheer.gif

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post 8th December 2023, 04:51 PM
Post #416
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
User: 275

QUOTE(calxyum @ Dec 8 2023, 08:15 AM) *
Thank you so much Ben for your grace! I feel like the only reparation that should come out of this is that I automatically owe you my 12/18 in the next contest (which I would be more than happy to honour)!!

Only if you like my entry a little bit teresa.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 8th December 2023, 04:54 PM
Post #417
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
User: 21,587

Ben can be the co-host of the next BJSC! I would have very much supported their entry if it was in the final, but hopefully more of the same to come next time please! smile.gif

+Quote this post

21 Pages V  « < 19 20 21
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 1st June 2024, 08:08 PM