BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Fury
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post Oct 22 2014, 06:07 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

I'm not normally one for war as a genre but this had really good performances from Brad Pitt and Logan Lerman. Has the emotional punch that you'd probably expect. It was nice to see Logan's character grow and I particularly liked the scene in the house with the two German women. Some shocking, brutal violence but.. that is war for you.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Dec 3 2014, 01:51 AM
Post #2
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Finally got around to seeing this. Thought it was brilliant! It had all the emotions you need for a character driven war film! I loved how brutal it was and even though it's a war film, I wasn't expecting as much as we got from it! Some outstanding performances from everyone involved, in particular Brad and Logan, as you said. Such a realistic depiction of how you'd imagine war to be!

If you guys still have chance to see this, you really must!

+Quote this post
Severin
post Dec 10 2014, 07:24 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
QUOTE(Jonjo @ Dec 3 2014, 01:51 AM) *
Finally got around to seeing this. Thought it was brilliant! It had all the emotions you need for a character driven war film! I loved how brutal it was and even though it's a war film, I wasn't expecting as much as we got from it! Some outstanding performances from everyone involved, in particular Brad and Logan, as you said. Such a realistic depiction of how you'd imagine war to be!

If you guys still have chance to see this, you really must!

Not entirely sure about calling it realistic. The tank tactics from the Sherman's are accurate - flanking and attack the Tiger from the rear - BUT in WW2 German tanks were noted for their accuracy and that Tiger should have taken out all three Sherman's from up to 2km away. The SPG's were ridiculously inaccurate too in the opening battle. Plus the Tiger hit Fury itself at point blank range and even with the angling of the shot it should not have rebounded like that. Tiger shells have been known to penetrate up the 3 Shermans at distance.
Plus the final battle is just silly. A 200 man strong SS company forgets to attack a single diasbled tank from the rear and attacks in waves from the front?? Seriously?? AND they forget to use their smoke grenades and Panzerfausts until half of them are dead?? No. Never would have happened.

Basically the Germans were made to look stupid by Hollywood again.

Having said all that I did enjoy it as a piece of dumb fun but I'm still waiting on a proper WW2 movie that realistically depicts battles. Band Of Brothers still remains the closest to realistic tactics. Stand out scene for the film though was eggs for dinner.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Dec 10 2014, 09:57 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
QUOTE(Severin @ Dec 10 2014, 07:24 PM) *
Not entirely sure about calling it realistic. The tank tactics from the Sherman's are accurate - flanking and attack the Tiger from the rear - BUT in WW2 German tanks were noted for their accuracy and that Tiger should have taken out all three Sherman's from up to 2km away. The SPG's were ridiculously inaccurate too in the opening battle. Plus the Tiger hit Fury itself at point blank range and even with the angling of the shot it should not have rebounded like that. Tiger shells have been known to penetrate up the 3 Shermans at distance.
Plus the final battle is just silly. A 200 man strong SS company forgets to attack a single diasbled tank from the rear and attacks in waves from the front?? Seriously?? AND they forget to use their smoke grenades and Panzerfausts until half of them are dead?? No. Never would have happened.

Basically the Germans were made to look stupid by Hollywood again.

Having said all that I did enjoy it as a piece of dumb fun but I'm still waiting on a proper WW2 movie that realistically depicts battles. Band Of Brothers still remains the closest to realistic tactics. Stand out scene for the film though was eggs for dinner.
I wondered how long it'd take for someone to give me some facts and things! Haha. I did not know any of this prior to this film, so I had no knowledge on what actually went on during the war, bar the basics really laugh.gif But that is actually really interesting, so thank you for that! ohmy.gif Puts things into perspective for me a lot more. I knew it was loosely based on facts (as I imagine every war film to be), but again I'm not sure on what are the facts or not, so I think that may have played a part in what I took from the film and what I didn't. laugh.gif (If that makes sense!)

+Quote this post
Severin
post Dec 11 2014, 05:56 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
QUOTE(Jonjo @ Dec 10 2014, 09:57 PM) *
I wondered how long it'd take for someone to give me some facts and things! Haha. I did not know any of this prior to this film, so I had no knowledge on what actually went on during the war, bar the basics really laugh.gif But that is actually really interesting, so thank you for that! ohmy.gif Puts things into perspective for me a lot more. I knew it was loosely based on facts (as I imagine every war film to be), but again I'm not sure on what are the facts or not, so I think that may have played a part in what I took from the film and what I didn't. laugh.gif (If that makes sense!)

Yeah its only because I find WW2 rather fascinating and I'm something of a geek for tanks that I would pick up on most of it. But the main thing to ask is does it work as entertainment? Yes it does so I still enjoyed it.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Dec 17 2014, 11:38 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"Fury" is a war movie that was released four weeks ago in my country. It was discussed by the media because of its difficult content and the involvement of Brad Pitt who is one of the most favourite people in showbiz. Do not forget that for a very long time, he occupied the media about his relationship with Jennifer Aniston, later about his separation with her and after his relationship with Angelina Jolie. He belongs definitely in the Top 10 Actors list, where their names are mentioned more in the media than in film circles. However, he is a good actor and I've noticed that he has participated in very remarkable productions in recent years.
Although I hate wars, the warmongers and the army lovers (not the group), I can not say the same about war films. I find them quite interesting and quite distinguished from other movie categories. Especially, when it is purely martial, without sentimentality and too many dramas. That's how it was in "Fury". After seeing all the harsh images, full of tension, and the very convincing war background, full of corpses and mud, it is a film to watch. The story takes place during the World War II, where the allies have arrived in German territories and the SS resist. There, a young typist serviceman, who didn't train for the difficult conditions of war, is forced to replace a dead soldier who was the assistant driver/gunner armor of "Fury". Despite his lack of training and experience, he constantly has objections in the beginning, he is forced to become a part of the war in the end. He comes up against his beliefs and his thoughts about the importance of life. The story is quite good and actually experiencing the horrors of war through the innocent and frightened eyes of the young soldier. The performances were good enough and I could not imagine this movie without Brad Pitt. It's definitely one of the best roles of his career. Logan Lerman was also very good and "Fury" is definitely the second best film of his career, after "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". The director / screenwriter David Ayer made a very structured work, carrying the story on the big screen which had something important to tell us. The freaky face of war because some crazy people want to destroy countries and people. It had good photo, elaborate montage, atmospheric scenery and impressive music. It lasts 134 minutes but the time passes without realizing it. The only negative point I found was the neatly cut hair of Brad Pitt and Shia LaBeuf's white teeth and Colgate smile. I can not believe that in this tragic period, people had first priority cleaning their teeth. We all know that they ate whatever they found, which was the worst thing for their oral health. The film production needed a bit more detail on this part.
"Fury" hit the lead in the Box Office when it premiered in mid-October in America. It has decent earnings to date and it is the most commercial film of its kind this year. Also, the competition was not very strong. It has been getting positive reviews worldwide, and many believe it will be one of the nominated films in the upcoming Oscars. I'm sure that it will be chosen in some technical categories and the category "Best Original Score" since Steven Price did an amazing job! However, I would not be surprised if the Academy proposed Brad Pitt for "Best Actor" since I did not see many shocking male performances this year.

+Quote this post
Frank!
post Dec 28 2014, 12:37 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 761
Really enjoyed this, but it goes without saying that it is flawed. The five main characters were so cliché it hurt, even though the performances were all decent. I thought the way both the Germans and the Americans were depicted was good, as both the humane and inhumane side of war were shown. The only pointless part of the film to me, was the whole love affair between Logan Lerman's character and the German girl, which seemed quite pointless and over the top.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:23 PM