BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Olly Murs - Singles Rate - The Results, Full Results on Page 5.....
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 31st December 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Hello and welcome to the Olly Murs Singles Rate - The Results with 24 songs in the running and a whopping 28 voters taking part over the past few weeks, and everything will be revealed in this thread in due course, any thoughts, predictions feel free to share....

This post has been edited by SamJudd: 25th January 2019, 12:23 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 31st December 2018, 10:39 PM
Post #2
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

You Don't Know Love for the win please *.*

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 1st January 2019, 03:39 AM
Post #3
Group icon

Closer to the mirror than you are to me

24. Stevie Knows | Avg.3.557

Highest Scores: 8: [The Poguesmith], Lowest Scores: -1: [Scene, SweetButJonjo, Jay]

The first Olly Murs song to get the boot is the much maligned 'Stevie Knows' which was released in December 2015 as the 6th overall single from his 4th album 'Never Been Better' and although it was one of the new tracks from the special edition re-release it didn't do anything chart wise, despite getting a music video (an okay one at that) and honestly was this actually released as single, because I don't recall any promo or hype for it at all. Why was this considered over 'Did You Miss Me' I never know, most of the scores for this weren't very good, including multiple -1's and some 0's. I can see why Buzzjack doesn't like this, its simply not very good and there's not a lot to say about it only that he's done far better.

23. Grow Up | Avg.5.096

Highest Scores: 9.5: [PAJ88], Lowest Scores: -1: [coi]

At #23 and gaining a much higher average is 'Grow Up', taken as the 2nd single from his 5th album '24 Hrs' and peaked at #25 on the UK charts, becoming his 17th top 40 hit. Not one of his better songs and struggled to remember it before this rate. Its a rather boring track and just screams safe, especially following the lead single which showed progression and maturity. But this seems like a step back with its shoddy production, Although the guitar tone felt flavoursome and rich, however the vocals were over produced which really lets the whole thing down. So yeah not one of his finer moments and can see why its ended up so low on here.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: 1st January 2019, 04:07 AM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 1st January 2019, 03:42 AM
Post #4
Group icon

The next 2 to drop will be a single from 'Right Place Right Time' & another single from 'Never Been Better', any guesses as to what they will be.

+Quote this post
coi
post 1st January 2019, 09:41 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Glad those two have gone out so early, they really are terrible songs by his standards.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 2nd January 2019, 12:07 AM
Post #6
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

No surprises there! I have a feeling 'Seasons' is out next but hoping it's not sad.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 2nd January 2019, 12:20 PM
Post #7
Group icon

And I try and try again to bring some light to the dark

22. Hand On Heart | Avg.5.37

Highest Scores: 7.5/7: [Rossco, Catherine91, Feel The Fever, Riser, WhovilleOdyssey], Lowest Scores: 1: [Scene]

At #22 we have 'Hand On Heart', which was released on November 2013 as the 5th and final single from his 3rd studio album 'Right Place Right Time', and was reworked for the re-release special edition of that album and peaked at #25 on the UK singles chart, which isn't bad considering the album has been out for over a year at this point and makes this a moderate hit. The music video was heavily inspired by Robbie Williams hit 'Angels' which is quite funny considering they both have the same director and Robbie himself even features as a cameo. Of course this doesn't quite hit the soaring heights of that song or any of Olly's other hits, and yes it is far better and stronger than the original album version and gives the song a more cleaner and cohesive whole. It also makes better, more varied use of its back-up singers, and on the whole this is just O.K., nothing special.

21. Beautiful To Me | Avg.5.94

Highest Scores: 9.5/9: [Rossco, gavindeejay], Lowest Scores: 3: [The Grinch]

At #21 we lose another Olly ballad 'Beautiful To Me', which was released as a digital download in May 2015 as the 4th single from his 4th album 'Never Been Better' and limped into the UK charts at #93 becoming his lowest charting single to date. Sadly I can kinda see why this fell through the cracks, I mean apart from the interesting music video, this song is just kinda bland and very beige and lacks anything interesting or special. Another of these inert pop tunes designed in best case scenario to be a top 20 hit, or in this case leave barely leave any trace of its existence.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 2nd January 2019, 02:40 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Aww. Beautiful To Me is the only major casualty for me (at least compared to stuff what's still to come *cough*Seasons*cough*). It's lovely and one of his strongest ballads imo.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 2nd January 2019, 02:45 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

No losses at all so far, Stevie Knows is hideous and I don't know what they were thinking releasing it as a single laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 2nd January 2019, 02:52 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'Stevie Knows' is just laughable.

We should have lost 'Oh My Goodness' already.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 2nd January 2019, 03:02 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

No surprises so far.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 4th January 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #12
Group icon

Ain't got no rhyme or reason

20. Seasons | Avg.6.125

Highest Scores: 11: [Electroboy], Lowest Scores: 2: [Rossco, Tawdry Hepburn]

Kicking off the top 20 we lose yet another 'NBB' single, 'Seasons', which was released as the album's 3rd single in March 2015 and was co-written and co-produced by Ryan Tedder of 'OneRepublic' and peaked at #34 on the UK charts, not quite as successful as the first 2 singles which both went top 5, but still managing to become his 14th top 40 hit and therefore making this a moderate hit. The song is a nice addition to his overall back catalogue, although I wouldn't rank it as one of my personal faves, its a slightly darker, more mature sound for him and while he does make this sound work for him, I do feel that its missing the heart of some of his other tracks and therefore not having that deeper connection that I've come to have from him in the past. Not saying that the song is bad or anything, in-fact its a pretty cool piece of music for him and there's some interesting sounds with some scratchy acoustic guitars and the usual great vocals. However compared to the album's first 2 singles, this isn't quite as strong and with its stark contrast in sound it makes you wonder if I know who he really is as an artist. Overall a decent effort.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 4th January 2019, 08:30 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

None of his better songs have come yet which is good.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 4th January 2019, 08:54 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I'm still utterly baffled by the choice to release 'Seasons' over 'Did You Miss Me?'. That's one of the most nonsensical single choices I think I've ever seen.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 4th January 2019, 11:21 PM
Post #15
Group icon

DYMM really was the missed oppourtunity of that album. WTF thought Seasos would be the best choice possible? Ughhhh

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 5th January 2019, 12:29 AM
Post #16
Group icon

Consistent tones and constant drones

19. Heart On My Sleeve | Avg.6.203

Highest Scores: 11: [Mondo], Lowest Scores: 3.5/3: [SweetButJonjo, Jay]

At #19 we lose one of Olly's earliest numbers 'Heart On My Sleeve', which was released in March 2011 as the 3rd single from his self titled debut album and peaked at #20 on the UK charts, making this at the time his first to miss the top 10, and funny fact his first top 20 hit to drop here so far. It became his first release to not have a physical CD release and very limited promo as he had just returned from completing a charity trek for Comic Relief in the Kaisut desert in Kenya around the time of its release, and therefore only had a few live TV performances, and maybe it was these factors that prevented it from climbing higher. After 2 upbeat reggae-pop smashes, he takes the usual ballad route for his third release with predictable piano and strings along with some soaring vocals, all of which results in a rather pleasing but uninspiring number that isn't very memorable, but not terrible song by any means, just harmless pop fluff.

Of note this song is written by singer James Morrison and John Shanks, and was originally sung by American Idol contestant Michael Johns and was released on iTunes in April 2009. Funny I never knew this before and never even heard the original version, nor not interested enough to seek it out.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 5th January 2019, 01:08 AM
Post #17
Group icon

Oh yes. Forgot about this screechfest. Another awful single choice. Imagine if it was 'Busy' in it's place instead? drama.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 5th January 2019, 03:05 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Busy would have been a much better choice.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 5th January 2019, 04:02 AM
Post #19
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

I strongly prefer Michael Johns' version of HOMS but Olly did it justice I thought, was glad it scraped in the chart for a week or two and hoped it'd be higher here.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 5th January 2019, 07:14 PM
Post #20
Group icon

Check out my kung-fu kicks, like I'm under attack

18. Moves [Ft Snoop Dogg] | Avg.6.267

Highest Scores: 9.5/9: [WhovilleOdyssey, The Poguesmith), Lowest Scores: 3: [Electroboy, Jay, coi]

At #18 we have Olly's most recent single 'Moves' which was released in September 2018 as the lead single from his 6th studio/greatest hits album 'You Know I Know', and features American rapper Snoop Dogg, which also makes this his first of many features to drop here. After taking a 2 year break and teaming up with Ed Sheeran (who co-wrote this) and a well known American rapper (a formula he's repeated several times previously) in the hopes of creating a successful comeback. His last album failed to score any top 10 hits and didn't sell as well as his previous releases, but sadly a winning formula that's worked for him in the past, doesn't quite cut the mustard this time as this only managed to reach a #46 peak on the UK charts. On a better note the album has done well by peaking at #2 and selling to date over a 100,000 copies and earned a Gold disc. I can see why this didn't quite take off in the way that it should have, firstly you can tell Ed Sheeran's had his hand in this as it reeks of him all over the production and even Olly's delivery on the verses sound very much like him, and quite frankly the song doesn't quite have that special something to make it outstanding, it sounds more like a quick cash-in than a track that shows his growth as an artist. This also puts Olly in quite a troubling place in this current climate of music where streams and downloads have taken over, and since then his songs have struggled to get very far in the charts, maybe he can turn it around with his next single, but as it stands...it's not looking good for him at this moment.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:06 PM