BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spice Girls 20th Anniversary Celebrations, 20 years since Wannabe!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Maz!
post Jul 5 2016, 06:40 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,217

Spice Girls Wannabe

This week we celebrate the release of the 1st Spice Girls single Wannabe 20 years ago on the 8th of July 1996. It debuted at no.3 on the official UK Chart but got to no.1 the next week where it stayed for 7 weeks.
Penned by the girls in conjunction with Biff Stannard and Matt Rowe, Wannabe was a wonderful introduction to the spirited fivesome who would enjoy unprecedented, relentless chart success all over the world in less than two years.
The story with Wannabe goes that Victoria had to miss the writing session due to illness and so gave her feedback over the phone. The track was done and dusted in about half an hour, but the record company thought it could do with some more work and sent it off to the US to be mixed as an R&B track by Dave Way (it's awful), In what would become a common theme throughout their career, the girls rebelled, and mixing duties went to Spike Stent, who’d worked with Madonna. Virgin and Simon Fuller both wanted Love Thing (track 4 on the Spice album) as the 1st single but the girls again didn,t want Love Thing as 1st single and pushed Wannabe to be their debut single.
The video of the single was shot at the St.Pancras Hotel in London on the 20th of April 1996 in one shot.

Some interesting facts:
7 weeks at #1.
2xPlatinum certification.
1.36m sales as of August 2015.
2nd best selling single of 1996 (behind The Fugees Killing Me Softly).
13th best selling single of the 1990s decade (sales from Jan '90 to Dec '99).
Within the Top 100 best selling singles of all time.
Biggest selling single by a girl group of all time.
it'ssold 6 million copies worldwide.
It reached #1 in 31 countries.
They won a Brit Award for 'Best British Single' for Wannabe and an Ivor Novello award.

1st performance on GMTV 28th of June 1996

1st live performance on Live! With Regis & Kathie Lee 16th of May 1997

Live in Istanbul

Live at Wembley Stadium

Live at ROTSG Tour 2007/2008

''Last Ever'' (?!) performance at the Olympic Closing Ceremony in London 2012

(Credit to Jay for all the chart facts)

This post has been edited by Maurice: Jul 5 2016, 06:47 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Jul 5 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Gold Member

Wannabe was the 1st single that i bought, i remember it being on the radio all the time in the Summer of 1996 and i loved it. Asked my mum if i could buy it and i could. Still have the single in my closet in between the rest of my Spice Girls cd collection which contains all the albums, singles and most of the solo spice singles/albums. Thanks to girls i met one my best friends Jay in 2003 and we still are friends 13 years later.

This post has been edited by Maurice: Jul 5 2016, 07:00 PM

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jul 5 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #3
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Goodness me, I really feel old.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jul 5 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #4
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

I hate this topic. Really don't want to be reminded that this was 20 years ago! Goodness me.

They were the first group/artist I ever become a "stan" of! I still remember the hysteria surrounding them like it happened just a couple of years ago. We won't ever come close to a girl group quite like them ever again, imo. As much as the likes of Sugababes, Girls Aloud, The Saturdays, Little Mix, Pussycat Dolls et al have been big successes, none of them have quite touched the Spice Girls impact or hysteria.

I remember wanting EVERYTHING to do with them. I think my dad has even kept the Spice Girls chocolates (well, the wrappers & packaging at least)!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 5 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #5
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

I wasn't quite born yet when this was out ph34r.gif i discovered the Spice Girls' music when i was about 10 though and instantly fell in love. <3 Started collecting merchandise off eBay around this time and was obsessed for a few years. Jonjo you've reminded me that i even bought Spice Girls lollies that are still in their packaging laugh.gif

Can imagine how huge this was at the time and wish i could've witnessed the few years of them being at the top.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jul 5 2016, 08:17 PM
Post #6
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

it was #1 when I was born laugh.gif slay

+Quote Post
post Jul 5 2016, 08:54 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

I remember the domination so much. I prefer so many other girlgroup's discographies to the Spice Girls, but I still think it's crazy how big they were for those 3 years.

It was world domination artists like 1D and Justin Bieber could only dream of. They were the face of Cadburys, Pepsi, Walker's Chrisps, channel 5, ASDA, Impulse - you name it! And whether of not they liked their music, the public and media were obsessed with them to no ends, they'd make the BBC 1 news, front page of every newspaper. And I feel like those who weren't around can't fathom how big they were because no artist has really come close. In my lifetime, I'd say Britney was the only one who came anywhere near as close. When Stop missed the #1 spot there was such uproar!

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jul 5 2016, 09:00 PM
Post #8
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

This was all in the pre-social media age too and before many people really used the internet. They were just huge, I remember the cultural impact so well, pretty much everyone who knew anything about popular culture could name and knew something about each of the five members, how many pop bands could you say that about these days? I remember each of their singles premiering was a huge must listen moment as well.

The only cultural impact I can think of that has come close since is Lady Gaga in 2009 or Rihanna in late 2010, but these girls sustained that feeling that they were a completely unstoppable force over three years.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jul 5 2016, 09:01 PM
Post #9
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

The best thing I can say about it is that it was far from their worst song biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jul 5 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #10
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

As far as pop groups go, they weren't that bad in retrospect. I really wasn't a fan at the time but I can now see that they had fun and catchy songs and pretty much every single from their first two albums was quite distinctive and memorable.

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Jul 5 2016, 09:14 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Joe. @ Jul 5 2016, 10:54 PM) *
I remember the domination so much. I prefer so many other girlgroup's discographies to the Spice Girls, but I still think it's crazy how big they were for those 3 years.

It was world domination artists like 1D and Justin Bieber could only dream of. They were the face of Cadburys, Pepsi, Walker's Chrisps Impulse - you name it! And whether of not they liked their music, the public and media were obsessed with them to no ends, they'd make the BBC 1 news, front page of every newspaper. And I feel like those who weren't around can't fathom how big they were because no artist has really come close. In my lifetime, I'd say Britney was the only one who came anywhere near as close. When Stop missed the #1 spot there was such uproar!

This is spot on! They were everywhere! When Geri left it was breaking news worldwide and even more huge than when Zayn left 1D last year. I haven't seen a pop phenomenon as huge as the girls. They had 11 top 20 hits 10 of them were top 10 hits 9 of them were no.1 hits (Mama/WDYTYA and Holler/LLLTW are double a-sides and counted as 1 single). But outside the charts they were also everywhere crisps,candy,drinks,dolls,perfumes,a photo camera,books,pillows,curtains and even a cinema movie.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jul 5 2016, 09:23 PM
Post #12
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I was only 3 at the time, but even then, I remember the domination of them/this song, I definitely remember people quoting this song and seeing Spice Girls related merchandise (I think seeing them on crisp packets was my earliest memory of them laugh.gif) everywhere. Must've been such a phenomenon being slightly older then, especially with how much they contributed to the third wave feminism of the 1990s (their cultural impact was quite a big part of my university studies so I learned further then as well!). It's pretty hard to find a female music act, bar Madonna, that even came close.

This was great (and pretty much their definitive song), though it's ofc. all about Viva Forever <3

+Quote Post
vibe
post Jul 5 2016, 10:48 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

I read in someone's autobiography that Victoria didn't sing on the song because she went to a wedding when it was requested. Bit mean of them to not let her record some vocals on a later date.

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Jul 6 2016, 01:18 AM
Post #14
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I think if I were to pick a song that defined the girl group era of the 90's, it would be this song.

Just its prevalence decades on speaks for itself. I remember this being on a rip-off of Rock Band and it was the one song that was the most far away from alternative or even guitar-based pop considering it also had Taylor Swift in it.

Also this:

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jul 6 2016, 02:21 AM
Post #15
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Great topic Maurice! biggrin.gif

I can't quite believe it's been 20 years since the song that started it all... cry.gif 'Wannabe' is the first song I ever loved, and they were the first music act I became a fan of. wub.gif I'll always love the Spice Girls! #loon kink.gif Their music always lifts my mood if I'm feeling down; they've been important to me over the years in that respect.

Joe summarised their impact really well... they were all-encompassing, truly phenomenal. Maybe I see that period of time through the eyes of the 8 year old I was back then, but to me they were pretty magical.

I was in Year 3 when 'Wannabe' came out, and the Spice Girls became an almost immediate craze at my school. It seemed like all of a sudden everyone was talking about them, everyone had a favourite Spice Girl. (Mine was & has always been Emma!).

Anyway, 20 years on and it's still a wonderfully unique song, fully deserving of still being the definitive girl group song ever. <3

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jul 6 2016, 11:07 PM
Post #16
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Vote for your favourite Spice Girls song! - http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/get-...urite-song-poll

We're celebrating 20 years of the UK's - and many would say the planet's - biggest girlband ever! Yes, it's really been two decades since Baby (Emma Bunton), Scary (Melanie Brown), Posh (Victoria Beckham nee Adams), Ginger (Geri Horner nee Halliwell) and Sporty (Melanie Chisholm) first burst onto the pop scene.

To mark 20 years of girl power we're finding out what the nation's favourite Spice Girls song is out of their top ten singles. Take our poll below and we'll reveal the result on Friday's show!

I voted for Spice Up Your Life. cool2.gif

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jul 6 2016, 11:26 PM
Post #17
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Voted for 'Stop'. wub.gif

All 10 of them though... <3 <3 <3 <3

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 7 2016, 01:07 AM
Post #18
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Voted for 'Viva Forever' wub.gif

+Quote Post
kye
post Jul 7 2016, 01:17 AM
Post #19
• aesthetic party •
Member No.: 2,169

I have a different favourite SG song depending on the time of year. Right now it's 'Spice Up Your Life' or 'Viva Forever'.
But at Christmas time, it's always '2 Become 1'.. wub.gif

This post has been edited by Kye: Jul 7 2016, 01:17 AM

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Jul 7 2016, 06:14 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 66

Unlucky fans of Holla, Let Love Lead The Way jameela.jpg and actual Headlines rotf.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:00 AM