BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mid 2000s retro period in dance
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
TheSnake
post May 28 2016, 05:27 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
What did you think of the mid 2000s period in dance when there was lots of retro sounding dance music in the charts like these. A lot is written about early 2000s trance and eurodance and late 2000s electro but not much about the weird funky period between. Here are the songs I am referring to:

Lola's Theme - Shapeshifters
Just Can't Wait (Saturday) - 100% ft Jennifer John
Lover - Rachel McFarlane
Strings Of Life (Stronger On My Own) - Soul Central and Kathy Brown
Back To Basics - Shapeshifters
Shined On Me - Praise Cats
You and Me - Uniting Nations
Freak On - Stonebridge and Ultra Nate
Nasty Girl - Inaya Day
Feel The Vibe - Axwell
Lil'Love - Little Love
Love On My Mind - Freemasons and Amanda Wilson
Lets Get Down - Supafly and Fishbowl
Perfection - Dannii Minogue and The Soulseekerz
Herd and Fitz - Just cant get enough
Watchin - Freemasons and Amanda Wilson
Most Precious Love - Blaze and Barbara Tucker
Make A Move On Me - Joey Negro
Speechless - Mish Mash
Incredible - Shapeshifters
My My My - Armand van Helden and Tara McDonald
Boogie 2Nite - Booty Luv

This post has been edited by TheSnake: May 28 2016, 11:36 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post May 28 2016, 05:32 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
I largely hated this period as funky house is not my cup of tea generally (and it also spawned way too many cheap/crap looped house 80s covers)... That said, Lola's Theme was my favourite song of 2004 and I like a couple of others from the above list like Joey Negro and Dannii Minogue.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: May 28 2016, 05:33 PM

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post May 28 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #3
Group icon
QUOTE(gooddelta @ May 28 2016, 06:32 PM) *
I largely hated this period as funky house is not my cup of tea generally (and it also spawned way too many cheap/crap looped house 80s covers)... That said, Lola's Theme was my favourite song of 2004 and I like a couple of others from the above list like Joey Negro and Dannii Minogue.

Ah but was it funky house or disco house or nu-disco? There is also the terms diva house and handbag house, so many phrases to describe it. Anyway it does have a lot of crossover appeal because of its old-school sound, probably more than any other type of dance music. That's probably why I like it.

There was a news article recently about Louis van Gaal liking funky house smile.gif

Of course there were earlier examples of this style of dance music - M&S and The Girl Next Door - Salsoul Nugget, Chocolate Puma - I Wanna Be U and Moloko - Time Is Now and my personal favourite pre- 2004 - Chamonix and Kurtis Mantronix - How Did You Know (those sweeping strings are epic). And I suppose Sophie Ellis Bextors tracks Groovejet (with Spiller) and Murder On The dancefloor were examples of funky house too, although I never really liked them.

And later ones - Calvin Harris - Ready for the Weekend and this decade, his collaboration with Haim - Pray To God and Outside with Ellie Goulding, Freemasons - Every Time You Touch Me from 2008, Cahill's Trippin' On You from that year too. Also the Kove and Melissa Steel track from this decade, which sounded very Stonebridge/Therese. And that Ray Foxx/ Rachel K Collier track. I would say that Secondcity - I Wanna Feel was funky house too. But aside from these there has been very little of this style of dance music this decade.

And about the looped house covers, deep house has spawned them too we had some last year from Philip George, Joe Stone and Sigala and tropical house has also spawned 80s covers - Wicked Games, Ain't Nobody and Fast Car.

This post has been edited by TheSnake: May 28 2016, 06:14 PM

+Quote this post
Roba.
post May 28 2016, 06:20 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804
'Trippin On You' now that was a tune music.gif
Seriously though is there even such a thing as handbag house? mellow.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post May 28 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #5
Group icon
QUOTE(RobS @ May 28 2016, 07:20 PM) *
'Trippin On You' now that was a tune music.gif
Seriously though is there even such a thing as handbag house? mellow.gif laugh.gif

The new Michael Calfan song is very similar to Trippin On You with its sad violins (I am guessing) in the background.

Yes it refers to a group of female club goers dancing around a pile of handbags https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diva_house

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post May 28 2016, 10:26 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
I like some of the tracks listed there a lot, Soul Central, Lola's Theme, My My My are all brilliant. Just like most dance periods really, about half of nearly every big dance movement I find very brilliant and the other half uninspired trash or just not particularly exciting.

Though this period I think actually had the better lot of the inevitable retro covers, I enjoy things like Uniting Nations' Out Of Touch far more than the dull tropical house covers about now.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post May 28 2016, 10:30 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614
This was when I first got into dance music - I was sixteen in 2004 - but with a few exceptions I disliked almost every dance chart hit for most of the rest of that decade! It was the trance of just a year or two earlier (and later the early 90s rave) that mostly dominated my mid-late teens.

At the time I thought dance had absolutely lost its chart power for good and retreated back underground in favour of reality TV pop and landfill indie, the only stuff cracking top 40 (let alone top 10) being irritating novelty looped-house tracks with videos consisting of nothing but barely-clothed female models, as if that was enough to keep you watching the video in the hope you'd go out and buy the song - which in those (just!) pre-youtube days would be a CD single with the words "INCLUDES THE VIDEO" plastered in massive letters on the cover, normally along with a photo consisting of one or more of the women from the video. Or there'd be the DVD single for a couple quid more, Eric Prydz's 'Call On Me' predictably selling tons on that format. Even at age sixteen and presumably exactly the target audience said videos were aiming at, it all felt a bit insulting to me at the time - I wanted melody-rich euphoric tracks like those in the early part of the decade, not some three-second 80s sample repeated and re-repeated over someone in their underwear cavorting around a photocopier. But I still listened to them in the complete absense of anything else - I remember when 'Shot You Down' by the Audio Bullies charted really high (#3?) and that felt like a huge achievement at the time given how dance-less the top 40 was back in 2005. I think only the Crazy Frog and Madonna were "dance" #1s that year and both are somewhat debatable!

A few of those mentioned in the first post I did enjoy though, and this is one I really liked at the time:

#11 in December 2005 which I remember being thrilled by - finally an actual tune rather than a looped sample and some great vocal and instrumental hooks. Still takes me back nicely to the 2005/06 winter.

For me I didn't really start enjoying chart dance again until 2010 when the Swedish House Mafia etc started to appear - the second half of the noughties was tough going at times, but still with its fair share of classics!

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post May 28 2016, 11:31 PM
Post #8
Group icon
QUOTE(BillyH @ May 28 2016, 11:30 PM) *
This was when I first got into dance music - I was sixteen in 2004 - but with a few exceptions I disliked almost every dance chart hit for most of the rest of that decade! It was the trance of just a year or two earlier (and later the early 90s rave) that mostly dominated my mid-late teens.

At the time I thought dance had absolutely lost its chart power for good and retreated back underground in favour of reality TV pop and landfill indie, the only stuff cracking top 40 (let alone top 10) being irritating novelty looped-house tracks with videos consisting of nothing but barely-clothed female models, as if that was enough to keep you watching the video in the hope you'd go out and buy the song - which in those (just!) pre-youtube days would be a CD single with the words "INCLUDES THE VIDEO" plastered in massive letters on the cover, normally along with a photo consisting of one or more of the women from the video. Or there'd be the DVD single for a couple quid more, Eric Prydz's 'Call On Me' predictably selling tons on that format. Even at age sixteen and presumably exactly the target audience said videos were aiming at, it all felt a bit insulting to me at the time - I wanted melody-rich euphoric tracks like those in the early part of the decade, not some three-second 80s sample repeated and re-repeated over someone in their underwear cavorting around a photocopier. But I still listened to them in the complete absense of anything else - I remember when 'Shot You Down' by the Audio Bullies charted really high (#3?) and that felt like a huge achievement at the time given how dance-less the top 40 was back in 2005. I think only the Crazy Frog and Madonna were "dance" #1s that year and both are somewhat debatable!

A few of those mentioned in the first post I did enjoy though, and this is one I really liked at the time:

#11 in December 2005 which I remember being thrilled by - finally an actual tune rather than a looped sample and some great vocal and instrumental hooks. Still takes me back nicely to the 2005/06 winter.

For me I didn't really start enjoying chart dance again until 2010 when the Swedish House Mafia etc started to appear - the second half of the noughties was tough going at times, but still with its fair share of classics!

Wow that is a long post. smile.gif There were loads of dance songs in the top 40 in 2004 to 2006 all those ones I mentioned at the start were. It was just a different kind of dance, more similar to disco. I am not talking about the 80s remixes by the likes of Eric Prydz, Hi-Tack or Sunblock but about those tracks I listed at the start such as the ones from The Freemasons and Shapeshifters, Soul Central and Kathy Brown, Inaya Day and 100% and Jennifer John which were all characterised by female disco vocals, piano house and often the use of strings samples, and the other ones on the list which all had strong disco influences like the Joey Negro, Blaze, Armand van Helden tracks.

I thought it was a great period of dance music with these disco style tracks. The disco influenced style of the likes of The Shapeshifters and Freemasons (female disco vocals, piano, string samples) and the others I mentioned on my first post, put the warmth in dance music that is lacking from most of it, especially this decade.

By the way that Herd and Fitz tune was great, although I dont remember it fron the tine. I will put that in the opening post.

This post has been edited by TheSnake: May 28 2016, 11:35 PM

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post May 28 2016, 11:46 PM
Post #9
Group icon
QUOTE(Iz~ @ May 28 2016, 11:26 PM) *
Though this period I think actually had the better lot of the inevitable retro covers, I enjoy things like Uniting Nations' Out Of Touch far more than the dull tropical house covers about now.

The 99 souls track recently did sound a bit like Out of Touch. Yes those 80s looped house remixes were better than the likes of Philip George - Wish You Were Mine with its highpitched vocals or Joe Stone or Sigala - Easy Love. I would say Sweet Lovin by Sigala is the best looped house one recently.

Thank goodness that 2015 organ house trend has gone too I didnt like that the organ sounds so cold and distant. We need warmth in dance music. The only organ house song I ever liked was Love Me Right (Oh Shiela) by Angel City.

Back to the mid 2000s...I forgot to mention I See Girls by Studio B it was kind of the So Freakin' Tight of 2005.

This post has been edited by TheSnake: May 28 2016, 11:58 PM

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Dec 6 2016, 12:25 AM
Post #10
Group icon
[quote name='BillyH' date='May 28 2016, 10:30 PM' post='5406599']
. But I still listened to them in the complete absense of anything else - I remember when 'Shot You Down' by the Audio Bullies charted really high (#3?) and that felt like a huge achievement at the time given how dance-less the top 40 was back in 2005. [quote/]

Refreshed this topic as we are nearing this time in the 00s dance thread.
I wouldn't call 2005 as having few dance tracks in the top 40, I think there were as many as 2003 or 2004 looking at the chart archive.

There was also considerable variety in dance that year, from grime like Pow to drum and bass like Slam, funky house like Love On My Mind, the looped house you mentioned, tech house like Ny Excuse and Shot You Down and even early tropical house in the form of Love Generation and Give It by X press 2 and Wagner all making top 40. True a lot of these tracks were quite low in the top 40 and should have done better though.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Dec 7 2016, 01:45 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614
Admittedly those that you've mentioned are quite good! 'Slam' is one of my absolute tracks of the decade, I remember being blown away by it and the first time I really started paying attention to drum & bass. Still remember my disappointment the week it only charted at #34...and my bigger disappointment five years later when the way way inferior Watercolour went top 5, a classic example of a brilliant band where their biggest hit is by no means their best.

Pow completely passed me by, I really wasn't listening to much grime back then except for the odd Dizzee track. But a few of my other friends adored it at the time, was a big uni favourite for those a couple years older than me.

Love On My Mind should have been a massive #1. That was another moment when I stared at the charts in horror as it completely missed the top ten and wondered what the hell was going on with the British public. See also Axwell's 'Feel The Vibe', confidently thinking it would be huge and it only reaching #16.

But probably the biggest "WHAT?!" moment in terms of 2005 chart injustice came with this track, one I thought and hoped was heading straight for top ten...

Chart position - #45. Jeez.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Dec 7 2016, 03:17 PM
Post #12
Group icon
QUOTE(BillyH @ Dec 7 2016, 01:45 AM) *
Admittedly those that you've mentioned are quite good! 'Slam' is one of my absolute tracks of the decade, I remember being blown away by it and the first time I really started paying attention to drum & bass. Still remember my disappointment the week it only charted at #34...and my bigger disappointment five years later when the way way inferior Watercolour went top 5, a classic example of a brilliant band where their biggest hit is by no means their best.

Pow completely passed me by, I really wasn't listening to much grime back then except for the odd Dizzee track. But a few of my other friends adored it at the time, was a big uni favourite for those a couple years older than me.

Love On My Mind should have been a massive #1. That was another moment when I stared at the charts in horror as it completely missed the top ten and wondered what the hell was going on with the British public. See also Axwell's 'Feel The Vibe', confidently thinking it would be huge and it only reaching #16.

But probably the biggest "WHAT?!" moment in terms of 2005 chart injustice came with this track, one I thought and hoped was heading straight for top ten...

Chart position - #45. Jeez.

For drum and bass, a Pendulum remix of The Prodigy's Voodoo People just made top 20. I think I remember it from the time unlike Slam, so it must have got quite a bit of Box airplay.

I agree that a lot of songs underperformed in 2005 but there were still as many dance songs making top 40 as 2004 or even 2003, just on average lower down in the chart.

You could compare the underperformance of Love On My Mind and Feel The Vibe to a few simialrly 'big hit' feeling songs this year - The Right Song, Piece Of Me, Freak Like Me, Trouble, Crank It (Woah).

There were quite a few top 10 dance songs at the start of the year, but there were few later on in the year (a bit like in 2003)

This one was played loads on the Box I remember (I didn't follow the charts at the time and so it seemed like it was a big hit), but it only made number 34.

I don't think 2005 was the worst year for amount of dance songs making the top 40...that would probably go to 2008, as even though there were three dance number 1s that year, there were considerably less songs in general making top 40 that year than 2005.

This post has been edited by Snaking Stevens: Dec 7 2016, 03:37 PM

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Dec 30 2017, 11:03 PM
Post #13
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
I came across this #71 hit from January 2007 recently and I wondered whether TheSnake was a fan? It sounds quite funky house to me!

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post Dec 31 2017, 02:24 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421
My uni clubbing days between 2004-2007, really a terrible time for dance tbh

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post Dec 31 2017, 05:56 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822
Michael Gray's Weekend, "Put em' High" and "Star 2 Fall" are just some of my favourites !

This post has been edited by Red Blooded Man: Dec 31 2017, 05:57 AM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:27 AM