BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Indie Lounge, For all your off topic needs x
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Linds.
post Nov 1 2017, 10:18 PM
Post #1
laugh 'til we cry
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,176

A quick shout out to Mattias for inspiring this thread!

We wanted to provide you guys with a little off topic area where you can discuss things that might not fit into any of the general artist/album/song contest threads, so voila magic.gif

We generally do have quite a minimal, streamlined look in this part of the site but feel free to run with whatever you want in here (within reason kink.gif). You can also direct any questions to us mods here too if you don't fancy dropping us a pm, we'll keep it pinned so it's always a direct access point and won't get lost amongst other topics etc

So let's kick this off with a bit of end of year discussion eh? What are you guys wanting to see, I'll drop a couple of spoilers here that we are planning some end of year awards for some of the best indie, rock and alternative stuff 2017 has brought us ohmy.gif we're also probably going to run a big Unknown Pleasures vs Nuggets song contest before the year is out, is that something you'd be interest in? angel.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
m
post Nov 1 2017, 10:33 PM
Post #2
I asked for my account to be banned
Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ʟɪɴᴅs. @ Nov 1 2017, 10:18 PM) *
we're also probably going to run a big Unknown Pleasures vs Nuggets song contest before the year is out, is that something you'd be interest in? angel.gif

This sounds good! Are you in a position to say any more? ;o I'm intrigued!

And yeah, I think this thread is better than the one I made on impulse, this way it can be anything at all rly (within reason) and not just about song contests like I had in mind.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Nov 1 2017, 10:56 PM
Post #3
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Listening to the new Wild Beasts song. It sounds great! Shame they're splitting up soon.

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Nov 1 2017, 11:37 PM
Post #4
Hisses to my exes who don't give a hiss about me
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Good idea. Is this inspired by my 'Darius Lounge' thread btw on the Retro Lounge?

+Quote Post
seven.
post Nov 1 2017, 11:55 PM
Post #5
i can only do one normal thing a day
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 14,428
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Nov 1 2017, 10:56 PM) *
Listening to the new Wild Beasts song. It sounds great! Shame they're splitting up soon.

I hadn't really delved into their albums before (probably should give Two Dancers a listen at least) but they had some quality singles- All the King's Men, We Still Got the Taste and 2014's Wanderlust of course!

+Quote Post
Jacob-
post Nov 2 2017, 01:11 AM
Post #6
Jacob Alan~
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(diplomapedVop @ Nov 1 2017, 11:37 PM) *
Good idea. Is this inspired by my 'Darius Lounge' thread btw on the Retro Lounge?
No. x

But a similar idea I guess in that they're both general discussions about specific topics. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Linds.
post Nov 2 2017, 02:18 AM
Post #7
laugh 'til we cry

Nope, like I said in the first post, this stemmed from Mattias' song contest one!

Hmmm I don't see why I can't share what we've got in mind for UP vs Nuggets so far. We don't have any dates as of yet but we're keen to get it going asap so it will defo happen over the next month or two I think, we just need to work out when suits in terms of is it gonna clash with BJSC or Lounge things etc as the site tends to have a lot going on at towards the end of the year.

It's going to be mod hosted and set up pretty much like BJSC, one of us will take the UP semi, another the Nuggets one and then the other the final. Obviously there's a lot more UP entries compared to Nuggets so what we're thinking is having all 25 up winners in one semi and then the top 3 from the 9 nuggets contests. That makes it slightly uneven actually so maybe we'll have a poll or something, or compare points from previous contests to see which two runners up from UP we can add in, idk there's still some details to work out kink.gif then we'll have a final of maybe 30 songs, 15 from each (again a detail we need to work out) but it should be good and hopefully spark some interest in here again.

+Quote Post
m
post Nov 2 2017, 07:48 AM
Post #8
I asked for my account to be banned
Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

ooooh that sounds cool! It was honestly kind of a little dream of mine to have a contest similar to that (hence me mentioning it in that previous thread etc), to kinda celebrate old winners / other entries of all the past contests! I've always wanted to go back and hear the stuff I've not heard from these contests, one day I decided to listen to all the Nuggets winners that I didn't know at least. So thank you for running it! x

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Nov 2 2017, 04:30 PM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SevenSeize @ Nov 1 2017, 11:55 PM) *
I hadn't really delved into their albums before (probably should give Two Dancers a listen at least) but they had some quality singles- All the King's Men, We Still Got the Taste and 2014's Wanderlust of course!

The only Beasts album I remember listening to the whole of is their recent one Boy King. The album was pretty good
I do have Two Dancers and Smother on CD, both of which I have yet to listen to. I also have Assembly on 7"
Favourite Beasts songs: Hooting And Howling, Wanderlust, Reach A Bit Further, A Simple Beautiful Truth, Get My Bang, Alpha Female, We Still Got The Taste Dancing On Our Tongues, Empty Nest

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Nov 2 2017, 04:32 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

anyone into julien baker? might had listen to her new album like 50 times this week=

+Quote Post
Brer
post Nov 3 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #11
C O N D I T I O N E R
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

I like the idea of this UP vs. Nuggets thing *.* (and yay for more than just the winners from Nuggets being included as I'd otherwise have no representation in it lol)

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 3 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #12
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

I am also on board with this as I don't know much about the history of these contests *.* hooray for my Nuggets win happening just in time laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 3 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #13
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bjork @ Nov 2 2017, 04:32 PM) *
anyone into julien baker? might had listen to her new album like 50 times this week=

Yes - I really love Turn Out The Lights!

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Nov 5 2017, 11:01 PM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

What did y'all think of the new Stereophonics album?

+Quote Post
Jade
post Dec 17 2017, 11:46 PM
Post #15

Could I potentially host a rate for The Beatles' '1' album sometime in 2018? They're my favourite band (and pretty damn successful!) and I was trying to think of the most accessible way for a rate to occur. This album is within the top 10 best-selling albums of the 21st century in the UK and contains 27 songs that went to #1 in the either the UK chart, the U.S. Billboard chart or both. So there are a lot of classics here that I'm sure people are familiar with! I would be dedicated to this with completed results and passionate commentaries.

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Dec 17 2017, 11:53 PM
Post #16
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

I would like to see this!! Love the Beatles!!

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Dec 18 2017, 12:04 AM
Post #17
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'd love this idea (and I could finally get round to listening to some of the Beatles songs I haven't heard), I'm just thinking it might be more suited to the Retro Lounge ? Ofc. I'll leave it up to you and the mods as it doesn't matter that much, I'm just thinking about the potential traffic for that forum.

+Quote Post
Linds.
post Dec 18 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #18
laugh 'til we cry

Yea go for it, whenever suits you Jade is good with me - thanks for volunteering! happy.gif I'm good with it happening in either forum too kink.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Dec 18 2017, 12:08 AM
Post #19

Oh yes that's a very good point Chez! I instinctively posted in a genre forum as I don't think I've seen a (non-Now!) rate in there before. Happy to host it there instead if you guys think it's better suited there and popchartfreak approves. I'm cool either way and no problem x

+Quote Post
seven.
post Dec 18 2017, 12:09 AM
Post #20
i can only do one normal thing a day
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 14,428
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Slade @ Dec 17 2017, 11:46 PM) *
Could I potentially host a rate for The Beatles' '1' album sometime in 2018? They're my favourite band (and pretty damn successful!) and I was trying to think of the most accessible way for a rate to occur. This album is within the top 10 best-selling albums of the 21st century in the UK and contains 27 songs that went to #1 in the either the UK chart, the U.S. Billboard chart or both. So there are a lot of classics here that I'm sure people are familiar with! I would be dedicated to this with completed results and passionate commentaries.

yes to this!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:46 AM