BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Digital Spy's Biggest Pop Banger of the 21st Century, They get something right for once.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 6th April 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Digital Spy asked YOU to vote for what you think is the biggest pop banger of the 21st century so far, and it was a close race between two chart titans for pole position.

​Over 32,000 votes were cast in our online poll across nine days, with readers able to up-vote 36 of the biggest anthems released over the past 16 years.​

The Killers were the only male act to make the Top 10, while Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars narrowly missed it at 11 with 'Uptown Funk'.

So who took the crown in our all-female Top 9? Let's find out.

9. SHAKIRA: 'Hips Don't Lie'

Despite it being the biggest-selling single in the '00s, Shakira's 'Hips Don't Lie' is at No.9 in our poll with 1,200 votes.

8. RIHANNA: 'We Found Love'

It's one of the Bajan star's biggest hits and here it bagged her a No.8 placing on our bangers poll with 1,200 votes.

7. CHRISTINA AGUILERA: 'Dirrty'

Gonna get a little unruly! Christina's 2002 hit is seventh on our poll with 1,400 votes. Surprising fact: It only managed to peak at No.48 in the US when it was released.

6. BEYONCÉ: 'Crazy In Love'

​Uh oh, uh oh, uh oh, oh no no​. Queen Bey is at No.6 with her solo breakthrough hit 'Crazy In Love' scoring 1,600 votes.

5. KATY PERRY: 'Firework'

How can you not like a song that has the lyric "do you ever feel like a plastic bag"? Katy Perry's 2010 banger makes the Top 5 with 1,600 votes.

4. KYLIE MINOGUE: 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head'

It appears that 15 years later and we still can't get this massive banger out of our heads either. Kylie's 2001 chart-topper is fourth with 3,400 votes.

3. LADY GAGA: 'Bad Romance'

Put your paws up! Mother Monster's finest anthem 'Bad Romance' rounds off our Top 3 with 3,800 votes.

2. BRITNEY SPEARS: 'Toxic'

The US superstar narrowly misses out on clinching the title, with 'Toxic' landing second with 5,200 votes.

1. MADONNA: 'Hung Up'

Madonna proves she's still the ultimate Queen of Pop, with her 2005 hit 'Hung Up' taking first place with 5,400 votes.

"When you hear Madonna, she makes you want to get up and dance," said Julian Linley, Editor-in-Chief of Digital Spy. "What's so impressive is that after 30 years, people still love her music."

Elsewhere, Nicki Minaj's 'Starships' came in at 15 and was closely followed by Little Mix's 'Black Magic' at 16.

Can't argue with that Top 4 really! 'Hung Up' really could be my favourite ever pop song.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
post 6th April 2016, 01:34 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Thought I like most of these of these are a bit obvious, as they're just each artist's biggest/most known hit of the 21st century. Every artist here I have much preferred hits for.

Teenage Dream / ET > Firework
Sweet Dreams / Drunk In Love > Crazy in Love

Can't argue with Bad Romance though. And Hips Don't Lie is the most inspired choice here.

But overall, I'm glad Madonna has had the recognition to get #1, even though I'd probably choose other songs for her from this era, 'Hung Up's popularity and power is undeniable.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 6th April 2016, 06:49 PM
Post #3
Group icon
User: 13,007

Lol at the all female top 9.

I also can't argue, especially at the top 4! A fantastic winner of course and easily one of the defining club staples for pretty much anyone. Still sounds absolutely amazing whenever I hear it (in or out) and never fails to get me MOVING. A true banger, forever music.gif wub.gif

+Quote this post
Qween
post 6th April 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Well, that's most pleasing! Most of the list is pretty undeniable, though Toxic isn't anywhere near being my Britney fave of this century and We Found Love remains an utter travesty.

+Quote this post
jark
post 6th April 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #5
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

The only inclusions I'd disagree with are Firework (good song, but nowhere near the standard of the actual classics there) and Hips Don't Lie (Whenever, Wherever is waaaay more iconic, and Hips sounds like it was recorded over the phone from Wyclef's bathroom). A pretty f***ing stellar list otherwise.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 6th April 2016, 10:30 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Much as it's a largely excellent list, it is a bit too predictable/obvious for me.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 6th April 2016, 10:53 PM
Post #7
Group icon

QUOTE(jark @ Apr 6 2016, 11:18 PM) *
The only inclusions I'd disagree with are Firework (good song, but nowhere near the standard of the actual classics there) and Hips Don't Lie (Whenever, Wherever is waaaay more iconic, and Hips sounds like it was recorded over the phone from Wyclef's bathroom). A pretty f***ing stellar list otherwise.

Yeah i'd definitely agree about 'Whenever, Wherever'! Much prefer it to anything she's done.

'Firework' is a bit out of place in terms of BANGERS, it's ~mid-table for me in her own discography personally.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 6th April 2016, 11:04 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Firework is challenged only by the sheer BASIC PLEASURE of Roar (and maybe Unconditionally, but that ain't no banger).

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 7th April 2016, 04:10 PM
Post #9
Group icon

As good as it may be, it's not really a BANGER in terms of the other songs. It's not a "stop what you're doing, down your drink and hit the club floor" is it?

+Quote this post
Regina
post 7th April 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Eyes Like Yours >>> those two Shakira songs.

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 7th April 2016, 04:22 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548

Can we not mention that Katy thing is this sacred place please?

+Quote this post
Qween
post 7th April 2016, 08:09 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Apr 7 2016, 05:10 PM) *
As good as it may be, it's not really a BANGER in terms of the other songs. It's not a "stop what you're doing, down your drink and hit the club floor" is it?

Well I cannot comment on the veracity of this statement as the threat of a NUCLEAR BLAST couldn't get me to do THAT.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 10th April 2016, 01:37 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

The list may have obvious choices but there's no denying for me that they're all really fantastic pop songs and a lot of them are near the top of my preferences for each artist, if not the very top. I do agree that 'Firework' is the main song I'd have swapped for something else in Katy's back catalogue, namely 'ET' or 'Hot N Cold' in terms of her upbeat ones.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 23rd April 2016, 01:13 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

DS are doing an album's equivalent to this but there appears to be no sign of Madonna anywhere (HOW can Confessions not be considered one of the 00s greats? drama.gif)

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 11:22 PM