BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Why don't singers release a big Christmas single?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Zeebre12
post Nov 2 2019, 03:44 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,549
Why doesn't any big artist release a big Christmas single? We have had very average mediocre releases from Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, Sia, Ariana Grande in the last few years. Hardly big hit Christmas songs. It doesn't seem like they put much effort into the songs really. Surely another Christmas classic like AIWFCIY can be written. It would be a money maker each year.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Nov 2 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
Xmas songs become "big" over time, that's why. Look for Sia and Kylie for instance charting again this year.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Nov 2 2019, 04:50 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Why does everyone always ignore Coldplay when questioning why there aren't any big new Christmas songs despite theirs being one of the most successful? Could it be that people just want a new AIWFCIY and not just a big new Christmas song? x

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Nov 2 2019, 05:00 PM
Post #4
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
I think it's a bit of a redundant question because ones you've mentioned such as Kelly, Ariana and also others such as Leona and Coldplay have become big Christmas hits. You seem to have confused success with your taste? I'm not really sure what you're wanting when you can't really get a more 'Christmassy' song than 'Underneath the Tree' whether you personally like the song or not.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Nov 2 2019, 05:03 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
the Kelly Clarkson song is amazing and far from mediocre... sure they put all the effort on it,wehy they wouldn't...

I'd say it's totally the opposite of what you are saying, people are realising lately that there is a market and a lot of people are now releasing Xmas songs... even our Ed wrote that Xmas song for Matt Terry and Perfect is a sorta Xmas song in disguise...

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Nov 2 2019, 05:13 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Kelly Clarkson, Leona and Coldplay all havr big Christmas hits? One More Sleep is basicallyy AIWFCISY part 2.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post Nov 2 2019, 05:51 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366
'Underneath The Tree' and 'One More Sleep' are both modern day Christmas classics. The efforts by Coldplay, The Killers, Ariana Grande, Sia and Katy Perry are all a bit dull.

It's good that we do get Christmas songs coming out these days. For a long while acts had given up on releasing Christmas tracks or like the Spice Girls put a woeful cover of a classic Christmas song ('Crhristmas Wrapping which they butchered) on the B side of their big Christmas release ('Goodbye').

Going off on a tangent here I've just found out that the lyrics to the Christmas classic 'I Believe In Father Christmas' by Greg Lake (number 2 at Christmas 1975 behind 'Bohemian Rhapsody') weren't written by Greg Lake. They were in fact written by Pete Sinfield, the former King Crimson member who wrote a few songs for Bucks Fizz as well as many other acts including the brilliant 'The Land Of Make Believe' which was a number 1 in January 1982. Greg Lake wrote the music although some of the melody is based on a classical musical piece (Lieutenant Kijé by Sergei Prokofiev),

+Quote this post
Zeebre12
post Nov 2 2019, 06:00 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,549
QUOTE(Robbie @ Nov 2 2019, 06:51 PM) *
'Underneath The Tree' and 'One More Sleep' are both modern day Christmas classics. The efforts by Coldplay, The Killers, Ariana Grande, Sia and Katy Perry are all a bit dull.

It's good that we do get Christmas songs coming out these days. For a long while acts had given up on releasing Christmas tracks or like the Spice Girls put a woeful cover of a classic Christmas song ('Crhristmas Wrapping which they butchered) on the B side of their big Christmas release ('Goodbye').

Going off on a tangent here I've just found out that the lyrics to the Christmas classic 'I Believe In Father Christmas' by Greg Lake (number 2 at Christmas 1975 behind 'Bohemian Rhapsody') weren't written by Greg Lake. They were in fact written by Pete Sinfield, the former King Crimson member who wrote a few songs for Bucks Fizz as well as many other acts including the brilliant 'The Land Of Make Believe' which was a number 1 in January 1982. Greg Lake wrote the music although some of the melody is based on a classical musical piece (Lieutenant Kijé by Sergei Prokofiev),

That's what I mean. Underneath the Tree and One More Sleep are fairly good but others like Ariana Grande/Katy Perry could release a big proper Christmas single but release fairly dull mediocre songs that don't feel like big Christmas songs. Surely Ariana Grande/Katy Perry could release a big proper catchy Christmas song like Mariah Carey did.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Nov 2 2019, 06:05 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Not all Christmas classics are big catchy pop songs tho. Arguably the biggest of them all, 'White Christmas', is pretty much the antithesis of that.

Also 'Santa Tell Me' is definitely in the same category as AIWFCIY anyway surely?? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Nov 2 2019, 06:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
I just wish artists released any songs for Christmas like they used to. The charts leading up to Christmas used to be so much fun. Streaming dictating hits has kind of killed that off but X Factor had already started it years earlier.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Nov 2 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #11
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
You can't write a modern-day Christmas classic overnight, you have to give it time to become popular. The Pogues and Mariah Carey's songs took many years after their release before they became Christmas staples. I actually think there's a lot more now than there has been before that seem to be standing the test of time and have the potential to become staples, One More Sleep is definitely one.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 2 2019, 09:37 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
One more sleep is the best Christmas song in the last few years and is standing the test of time. I wonder are the killers going to give us a surprise Christmas single this year.

This post has been edited by Feel_The_Fever: Nov 2 2019, 09:38 PM

+Quote this post
Brer
post Nov 2 2019, 09:54 PM
Post #13
Group icon
It wouldn't really be a 'surprise' considering they drop a Christmas single literally every year laugh.gif

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post Nov 2 2019, 09:56 PM
Post #14
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
To be fair, there hasn't been one since 2016. But they've said they're not releasing any more.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Nov 2 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Oh oops. I assumed the last few just made no impact. x

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Nov 2 2019, 10:16 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
Justice for Joel, The Lump Of Coal biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Nov 3 2019, 12:04 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Yeh the Killers stopped their annual Xmas track a few years back when they released them all on Cd which I ordered off their website lol.

I think the question should be more like T Boy said - it would be great if the years biggest artists all released songs aimed at Xmas no1 again like back in the day. I can see Dance Monkey being no1 for another 4 weeks and then Mariah being no1 in December!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Nov 3 2019, 12:07 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Nov 2 2019, 06:17 PM) *
You can't write a modern-day Christmas classic overnight, you have to give it time to become popular. The Pogues and Mariah Carey's songs took many years after their release before they became Christmas staples. I actually think there's a lot more now than there has been before that seem to be standing the test of time and have the potential to become staples, One More Sleep is definitely one.

The Pogues and Mariah both sold a lot on the year they were released too but I see your point.

+Quote this post
gavindeejay
post Nov 3 2019, 12:37 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
User: 7,645
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Nov 3 2019, 12:04 AM) *
Yeh the Killers stopped their annual Xmas track a few years back when they released them all on Cd which I ordered off their website lol.

I think the question should be more like T Boy said - it would be great if the years biggest artists all released songs aimed at Xmas no1 again like back in the day. I can see Dance Monkey being no1 for another 4 weeks and then Mariah being no1 in December!

If Adele is releasing I imagine she’ll be Christmas Number 1 this year

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 3 2019, 01:43 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I’d love it to happen but I think people will always play the ones they know over hearing a new one tbh.

I’d love to see an OG Christmas track reach #1 though.

I miss the days of Christmas number one being a big event.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:23 PM