BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jordan Lees “official” Britney albums rankings., Rankings of albums 1-9!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jordanlee
post 15th April 2020, 12:43 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
SO! I’m listening to Glory in full this afternoon and after that I’ll have completed my full Britney album listens and I’ll start with my rankings.

Genuinely loved delving back into her catalogue and finding so many gigantic pop smashes in the album tracks and falling back in love with all her singles too. She is THE pop princess wub.gif

I will be revealing albums in 9th and 8th place this evening!

Predictions on what will come out on top! And what album will be first out!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 15th April 2020, 12:58 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Excited for this!!

I'm gonna guess an In The Zone win with Britney Jean a close 9th.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 15th April 2020, 05:05 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Jord
9TH PLACE BRITNEY JEAN. (Score 3/10).

Unsurprisingly, in last place is the second most recent album to be released by Britney. Before I compiled my own rate of her albums this seemed to be the album I seen at the bottom of most lists from fans and critics alike and I can see why after hearing it in it’s entirety. It’s an easy last place for me.

It’s her second self tiled record and described by her at the time of release as being her most personal album. For me it kind of just feels empty. There’s honestly next to no standouts on the album at all which is rare for a Britney album. For a self titled album it doesn’t have much personality or spark behind it. It’s like a selection of tracks what would’ve been left off other studio albums made to be one album. It’s pretty faceless and like a half assed attempt at an album tbh. I guess it’s just that album pretty much every major artist has one era what just passes me by and I don’t get and for Britney this is that album. Anyone could’ve put the vocals on these songs though and they still would’ve sounded the same tbh. It’s just devoid of anything.

At a push I’d say Alien and Perfume are passable but the rest of it I can leave.

Work Bitch is also probably one of my least favourite lead she’s done too. There’s also some questionable moments on there vocally like Passenger for instance what isn’t even her voice!

Commercially, the album is her lowest peaking studio album to date in the UK where it debuted at #34 and spent just two weeks in the entire top 100 (also a record for Britney for fewest weeks on the top 100 albums). In the US the album debuted at #4 on the Hot 100 which was also at the time of release her lowest peaking album on that chart to date. I can’t say I’m surprised at its commercial performance either it’s definitely not an album what would win non fans over.

Singles wise the album contained the UK top ten single Work Bitch which debuted at #7 (but would fall to 37 the next week then never trouble the top 40 again) pretty much the definition of a fanbase hit in the pre streaming era.

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post 15th April 2020, 05:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392
Poor brave Britney Jean sad.gif

I'm not enjoying that much the slow songs from the album. BUt dance songs are killers tbh.

Especially Work Bitch and Til It's Gone. The latter should have been single

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th April 2020, 05:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
User: 13,007
Omg so excited for this thread!

The correct choice for last place sad.gif It has some nice gems (Alien and Perfume - as you mentioned!) but on the whole it is a mess. Also since learning that half the vocals aren't even her... mellow.gif I think it's lost even more affection from me.

Glory out next please ~

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 15th April 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Jord
8TH PLACE - FEMME FATALE (Score 4.5/10)

Britney’s seventh studio album and her first to be released in the 10s decade. The album topped the Billboard 200 charts in the US and also become her first album in the US to contain 3 top ten singles! It contained some great moments which were largely the singles released.

It’s UK performance was more modest however. The album debuted at #8 and would spend just 9 weeks inside the entire top 100 which at the time of release become her shortest album chart run on the chart.

Singles wise Hold It Against Me topped the US singles charts debuting at #1 and making Britney the second female artist after Mariah to get two #1 debuts on the singles charts. Till The World Ends and I Wanna Go would also manage great chart success in the US getting #3 and #7 peaks respectively.

Hold It Against Me would give her another top ten single however peaking at #6 and Till The World Ends gave her a #21 hit here although it spent longer on the chart than Hold It Against Me. In 2015 I believe we had sales info stating it was the highest selling UK hit of the era. Confirmation on if this is still the case is welcome!

I Wanna Go never troubled the top 100 here however.

The reason why the albums ranked so low is aside from the singles there’s not much else on offer. The album tracks are quite meh and the production isn’t very strong either compared to some of the albums it followed. It’s a tad too long as an album and it didn’t need as many tracks as it got in my opinion. The non single highlights are probably Trip To Your Heart and He About To Lose Me. The rest of the album though I likely won’t revisit much until I do another entire albums relisten. In places it’s also got the “faceless” kind of feel to it where some tracks don’t feel very classic Britney or as if she was heavily involved in the era either.

Also I think the production on this is more trend following than trend setting which again is why I’ve placed it towards the bottom of my list.

Fun fact this is weirdly her only chart topping studio album in Australia! Literally today years old when I found this out.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th April 2020, 10:36 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I agree with your write up of Femme Fatale too. The singles are amazing, but it has a lot of filler in it.

'He About To Lose Me' is one of her best ever songs though. It's a stunner and stands out even more being on such a beat-thumping album heart.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 15th April 2020, 10:47 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Jord
QUOTE(Hauspital* @ Apr 15 2020, 11:36 PM) *
I agree with your write up of Femme Fatale too. The singles are amazing, but it has a lot of filler in it.

'He About To Lose Me' is one of her best ever songs though. It's a stunner and stands out even more being on such a beat-thumping album heart.gif

It does! Would’ve really stood out as a single choice too I think.

Always a bit confusing that this album has such high peaking US singles yet here a Britney single missed the top 100 that went top ten in the US! Up until this era it always seemed her singles at least peaked much higher here although I’m guessing her high peakers may have all come during the single pre order days?

Albums in 7th and 6th place to be revealed tomorrow. Without giving too much away the easiest part of this list was definitely deciding the bottom 2 albums.

Everything else for me is great and it was more difficult to order the albums coming next...

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 15th April 2020, 11:54 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I have a soft spot for 'Britney Jean', ngl. BUTTTTT as a Britney album? I don't like to think of it as one.

'Now That I Found You', 'Brightest Morning Star', 'Work Bitch', 'Alien', 'Perfume' & something else were all songs she wanted to keep on the record and actually bothered recording I believe. They're in the highlights of the album for sure. But I do love 'Passenger' a lot. 'Brightest Morning Star' is so cute.

Also, how can we forget the ICONIC typo on the tracklisting on the back of the cover "Hold On TITE"!

---

'Femme Fatale' is such a good album. I personally think there are plenty of tracks to go to (but I understand the "could be done by anyone" critique). The first 3 singles, 'How I Roll' & 'Trip To Your Heart' (those 2 are up there as some of my favourite Britney songs.) 'He About To Lose Me' is stunning. 'Big Fat Bass' is ridiculously infectious. I like this album a lot tbh, but it's always bottom half of the album rank for me, too! laugh.gif

---

Predictions? I'm going to guess 'Circus', 'Glory' & 'Blackout' are up next (but 3 albums you'll appreciate I think)! I dunno, I get the feeling that you'll really like 'Baby...', 'Oops!...', 'In The Zone' & 'Britney' more than those.

+Quote this post
kye
post 16th April 2020, 12:43 AM
Post #10
Group icon
• aesthetic party •
User: 2,169
i don’t think either of these albums are her finest work (some of it isn’t even her work oops) but femme fatale gave us up n down!!! which is a classic cult britney fave + selfish, too wub.gif

fun fact: he about to lose me is kylie minogue’s favourite track from femme fatale x

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 16th April 2020, 04:17 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Jord
7TH PLACE - GLORY. (Score 6.5/10)

Glory, which is the most recent studio album released by Britney comes in 7th place on my list.

An improvement on the material on both Femme Fatale and Britney Jean for me. This to me feels like Britney was actually involved in the album in some ways and definitely has more personality and spark to it. There’s some great highs on this the opener Invatation is a great sultry opener, Just Luv Me is a single that never was! Man On The Moon is an Imogen heap sounding at times bop And there’s also some great fun moments on there too like the Oops I Did It Again referencing Clumsy, Do You Wanna Come over and Slumber Party.

As an album though I think it’s a tad too long. The 17 track edition means there’s a few skips on it which is why it’s ranked here on my list. But for a Britney album released in 2016 it’s a lot better than you’d think it would be. I didn’t have the highest of expectations listening to this but she really found her spark and come back stronger and more like the 00s decade Britney with this album.

Make Me.. was a terrible lead single choice for this album too. One of the most dull tracks on a pure pop album leading the campaign was a choice.

Commercially the album would give Britney her fourth #2 peak in the UK with a studio album. It would then fall out the top 40 the following week and spend just 3 weeks inside the UK Top 100. The albums lead single also didn’t make the Top 40. It’s Britneys only studio album to not only not contain a UK Top ten but a UK Top 40 single. In the US the album peaked at #3 which was an improvement on Britney Jeans peak there!

Interesting fact: This is her only studio album (so far) to get a higher UK peak position to US peak position.

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post 16th April 2020, 04:23 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392
Well at least Glory is not second worst. To me this album is absolutely return to the form. From production to vocals, she really slayed this album.
I don't skip any track (actually sometimes Clumsy and Private Show) kink.gif laugh.gif

The ultimate highlights for me are: What You Need, Change Your Mind, Better and Love Me Down. All 4 are already among my fave Britneys tracks. So damn fineee wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 16th April 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Jord
Glory and the album what’s in 6th place are very close tbh!

I agree it’s a definite return to form for her though and it’s clear she had more involvement in this era too compared to the other two albums it followed. Strong album for sure just a few tracks too long. happy.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 16th April 2020, 04:56 PM
Post #14
Group icon
I think Glory is a place too high personally. It's got some nice moments (the two singles are amongst my faves from Britney) but a lot of the album is skip-able for me. I think it's fairly overrated by fans oop - many seeing at "her return to amazing form" when it's really not.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 16th April 2020, 05:08 PM
Post #15
Group icon
^ Neyde.png

---

'Glory' is the 3rd in the holy trinity for me. The production is current and amazing throughout the whole album. I can do without 'Private Show' and 'What I Need' (although the latter is fun!) But everything else? Amazing.

The bonus tracks again, proving that her team pick killer bonus tracks 'Liar' and 'If I'm Dancing' in particular. Top 3 on the album - with 'Liar' being my fave. 'Love Me Down', 'Do You Wanna Come Over?' and in particular 'Just Luv Me' (ger vulnerability is stunning) were single worthy. With 'Man On the Moon', 'Change Your Mind (No Seas Cortes)' and 'Better' being amongst her best album tracks!

I love this album so much! laugh.gif

Loving this rundown, Jordan!

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 16th April 2020, 05:58 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Jord
SHOCK RESULT!!!!!! ..........

06. BLACKOUT (Score 7/10)

A controversial opinion for sure I’m guessing. But I’ll explain my reasoning behind this. This album
was one I listened to more than once! I gave it a re listen to make sure I really was putting it where I was.

Her most critically acclaimed album and within the fandom it’s also probably her most popular album? Yet for me I could only rank it 6th.

I think for me the fact the album is quite urban sounding and hip hop like (the most of any of her albums I’d say) may be why I rank it here. It’s bold, and it’s daring and different to anything she’s done before. But I found I didn’t really enjoy the album tracks much. Like tracks such as Get Naked and Freakshow I really wasn’t keen on at all. Heaven on Earth Hot As Ice are my non single highlights. The other album tracks I haven’t mentioned were also just things I wasn’t like blown away by or felt the need to replay the way I did with some of her other albums. Weirdly I actually think Glory has higher highs than this does in the album tracks but this is far more consistent probably as it’s a shorter album there’s less skips. I wouldn’t rate any song on this above a 9/10 aside from Piece Of Me though.

Commercially the album gave Britney a #2 peak in the UK. It also would be her first album at the time not to get a #1 peak in the US (chart rules or so said to be the reason). In the UK it ended up going close to platnium status so it didn’t flop but it was her lowest seller at the time of release. (Did it go platinum in the end here?).

Singles wise we managed to get two top 3 hits in the UK with Gimme More (3) and Piece Of Me (2).
In the US Gimme More would also be top 3 hit for her also peaking at #3 and featuring the iconic opening line “Its Britney Bitch”. Piece Of Me is my personal favourite from this era a very personal song what’s telling of her life. Piece Of Me was also the last song to be recorded for the Blackout album. Thank god it made it on there! Break The Ice which seems to be a fan favourite single from her isn’t one of my favourites. We also have Radar which despite it being a circus era single I still associate heavily with this album. Radar is a highlight for this album for me would’ve probably been a safer bet for single 3!

Props to Britney for releasing this album at all tbh given what went on in her personal life during the year of its release. But after really listening too the album I think it’s overrated. Or maybe it’s just a case of certain albums I’m ranking ahead of it being underrated?

I’m guessing this will perhaps be the *shock* exit (The Laura White of this rate!).

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 16th April 2020, 06:27 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
We're not friends anymore.

Bye.

*slams the door*

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 16th April 2020, 06:34 PM
Post #18
Group icon
'Blackout' is a masterpiece. One of the most influential albums this side of the millennium. It's by far the most artistically striking and it really helps knowing that she executive produced the whole thing and I kinda hear & see that it was clearly a coping mechanism for her, working on this album (similarly to how Ari treated the 'thank u, next' album for example - just working to get her mind off of things).

It's a body of work and I love that the most about it. It's not necessarily about "the hits", it just works as a cohesive, full album listen. It was released at such a pivotal time for her and I'm so grateful for this album. I doubt we'll get anything as personal or creatively and artistically risking again. Such a great album.

I'm not surprised to see it here. I kinda expected it to be as I get the feeling you're more of a pure pop/urban pop fan. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 17th April 2020, 12:51 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Jord
Blackout is cohesive! I’ll say that’s one of its strongest points.

I did struggle to distinguish between the album tracks though as they are very similar.

When I gave the album another spin it was definitely better but just lacked something for me.

I think if I ever do another rate this is one album what could really climb / grow a lot in a ANTI by Rihanna kind of way.

I almost had Blackout as 7th tbh but Glory has its low points and isn’t as cohesive as what this is despite it having higher highs it has lower lows than what this does and I had to give Blackout some praise for being so bold and daring too.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 17th April 2020, 02:34 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Jord
SO WE ENTER THE TOP 5....... (and in 5th place we have

05. OOPS... I DID IT AGAIN! (Score 7.5/10)

Britney’s second studio album which turns 20 this year is the next album to be eliminated.

The album is pure joyous pop album from start to finish stacked with hits like the title track, her most personal track to date at time of release stronger and the cute but slightly forgettable single Lucky.

Other high points of the album for me were What You See is What You Get (a real single that never was), One Kiss From You and Where Are You Now.
I was also always a fan of the Shania penned Don’t Let Me Be The Last To Know. A great album for sure it’s consistent throughout but the only 10/10 moments for me are the title track and Stronger.

Tbh the only real low point on the album is I Can’t Get No Satisfaction that just adds nothing to the album tbh. I think it’s a great follow up to her debut but the reason that’s still to come is because it has an element of charm to it and I prefer the singles from that era too.

Commercially the album had a gigantic sales record in the US for highest sales in debut week for a female artist (Adele would overtake but it took 15 years for this to happen). In the UK the album is on sales of over 900,000 copies and it would become Britneys second studio album to just miss out on a UK #1 peak.

Interesting fact: The album at #1 when this debuted at #2 was Whitney Houston with “The Greatest Hits”.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

2 user(s) reading this thread
+ 2 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 07:58 AM