BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Manifesto Records - General Election 2019
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
crazy chris
post Nov 24 2019, 10:45 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
QUOTE(T Boy @ Nov 24 2019, 09:18 PM) *
I have no words.

Please expand and tell me if my thinking is wrong. Why should a single person stay in a 3-bed house getting all her rent paid when she doesn't need all three bedrooms? Even moving her to a 2 bedroom and giving hers to a family. Am not suggesting putting her out on the streets but we do have a housing problem.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Nov 24 2019, 10:54 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
I work in the housing sector and you need to treat people like human beings and not have this sort of thing hanging over them, especially for older residents/families.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Nov 24 2019, 10:57 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
QUOTE(common sense @ Nov 24 2019, 10:45 PM) *
Please expand and tell me if my thinking is wrong. Why should a single person stay in a 3-bed house getting all her rent paid when she doesn't need all three bedrooms? Even moving her to a 2 bedroom and giving hers to a family. Am not suggesting putting her out on the streets but we do have a housing problem.

If you were in her situation, you’d expect empathy. I don’t know why I’m surprised you have none yourself.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Nov 24 2019, 11:23 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
QUOTE(T Boy @ Nov 24 2019, 10:57 PM) *
If you were in her situation, you’d expect empathy. I don’t know why I’m surprised you have none yourself.

If I were in her shoes I'd move as they've asked her to do but apparently can't force her. Then if she won't make her pay the bedroom tax, pensioner or not.

This post has been edited by common sense: Nov 24 2019, 11:26 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 25 2019, 12:55 AM
Post #25
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
So there are parts of the Conservative manifesto that seem aspirational. Which almost makes you want to vote for them until you remember that all the things they are promising are things they cut over the last 9 years. I think it's written a lot better than the tone-deaf one of 2017 though.

However of course there are things that really creep me out, the line on benefit fraud, the whole section on being tough on crime. See, the Conservatives talk about more prison places in an attempt to make the reader feel safe, the Labour manifesto cites data from the Ministry of Justice that proves that community sentences are better at preventing crime than incarceration. The entire hostile environment idea just sends shivers up my spine and its existence means I could never countenance voting Tory. And also there's lines in there about them being One Nation which is laughable. And the country and environment just cannot afford right-wing governments continuing to make up for their own failings while they spend most of their time ensuring that they will be the only possible party of government.

Labour's manifesto reads like there's actual human empathy behind it, I believe what they are telling us they will do to the environment, I believe they will improve our public services, I love their commitment to mental health and improving the workforce, and I for a part trust their costings - Javid's look very optimistic but I'm not an economist so I can't make definite statements on either.

My favourite bits from this read, as an international relations grad, are Labour's promises to really tackle problems on the world stage - suspension of arms sales to Saudi Arabia, rightfully give up the Chagos Islands, secure justice and accountability for other human rights abuses, get climate diplomacy (urgent stuff - in a better world, this should have been the election on climate change) back at the top of the agenda. Our image on the international stage has been really damaged in recent years and not just because of that word, we could do with a government willing to do the right thing.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:39 PM