BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Favourite Mainline Pokemon Game, Gen 1 - Gen 10
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Favourite Mainline Pokemon Game
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 16
Guests cannot vote 
Aaron.
post 5th March 2024, 06:15 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245

I'm not sure if we've done a poll for everyone's favourite Pokemon Generation, at least nothing I've seen since Scarlet/Violet!
Vote for your favourite Generation!

I know it may be confusing with some generations getting remade on future consoles. Some generations had a 3rd game, while some had nothing. Later generations obviously brought in the DLC - so look at the complete picture and vote for your favourite Pokemon Game!

Edit: Maybe don't vote just yet laugh.gif I can't seem to edit the poll and misread adding Generation 1 as an option. Can a mod please kindly add in heart.gif Feel free to vote however if Gen 1 is NOT your favourite mainline game!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 5th March 2024, 06:53 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Gen 5 supremacy, it really felt so fresh and exciting when Black and White first came out with it being a soft reboot and only having the Unova Pokémon, and then the sequels really perfected it all, expanding on the region and bringing back old favourites to make the game even better. The experience system is the only thing I really didn’t like as it made grinding impossibly tedious, but to be honest that’s a problem with all pre gen 6 games when you go back nowadays. I play rom hacks with quality of life improvements mostly for pre gen 6 games to be fair. Platinum and Emeralc were the games I spent the most time with and both are amazing, but I do think looking back that the Black and White era are the best.

Worse is gen 2 by FAR idc

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 5th March 2024, 11:31 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I too also voted for Black/White.
I have to say Gen 1/2/3 back to back when I was a kid was EUPHORIC. I started right when Gen 1 came out with Red. Gen 4 was a huge letdown, but Black/White saved Pokemon for me.

Gen 2 I remember playing Japanese Roms that had been translated. Back then, the games would be released in Japan months before coming out in North America (in the case of Gen 2, a full year later).
I agree with you, Liam. Rom Hacks with the QOL improvements are a MUST.

+Quote this post
All★bySmashMouth
post 6th March 2024, 12:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
former insolent era FM11
Pronouns: he
User: 7,795

Hard to answer. X & Y or maybe Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon for overall experience. Could've been Scarlet & Violet if it weren't for the countless (minor) graphical and technical problems or weirdness. laugh.gif

Soundtrack/BGM tends to be consistently enjoyable each generation but I think nothing beats the Gen 1 and Gen 3's for the sheer simple, meant-to-be-catchy composition (rather than being a bit more atmospheric or orchestral or something).

This post has been edited by All★bySmashMouth: 6th March 2024, 12:08 PM

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 6th March 2024, 02:30 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I'm surprised that X/Y is in the lead, at least for now. Solid game, I actually really liked the gameplay between the first two gyms, it just felt so vast and they weren't rushing anything. But, they immediately rushed the rest of the game.

Although I may consider Scarlet/Violet to be the best game to date, it's not my favourite game and I think I would have a hard time voting for anything after Black/White 2.

It's tough to say if we've already seen the best Pokemon Game or if something will blow us out of the water for future mainline generations. I was so excited when it was expanded beyond handheld electronics to being able to play on my big-screen TV, but I've been disappointed with every generation on the Switch in some capacity.

Ultimately I think churning out a new mainline game every 3-4 years worked on previous consoles, but probably not the Switch. I think they could deliver some of their best work in future generations, but it requires a larger investment, clearly with time and talent.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 6th March 2024, 02:35 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Gen 1/2/3 are my faves but I never played any of them afterwards.

I would rank them as Gen 2 > Gen 1 > Gen 3

+Quote this post
Simon.
post 21st March 2024, 01:58 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126

Gen 1 with ease, followed by 2, then they mostly just get dafter and dafter.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 22nd March 2024, 01:51 PM
Post #8
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

I’m all in on Gen 3 supremacy. I grow up on Ruby (plus the non-mainline games released during that time, peak GameCube stuff) and Omega Ruby was just as fantastic. True to the originals yet adding in sooo many improvements from over the years plus, obviously, Mega Evolution. Besides listing all the great battle & gameplay improvements introduced in Hoenn, the Pokémon were simply awesome. Breloom, Flygon, Metagross, Milotic, Gardevoir, Salamance, all three starters, all the legends died, etc. etc. In my opinion there hasn’t been a more consistent region when it comes to Pokémon quality. Even the “duds” or overlooked Pokémon generally have their niche and are useful at some point.

I’d say Gen 6 isn’t too far behind as X&Y were superb too, introducing Heliolisk who is an all time Top 5 for me

I’ll admit to never playing Gen 5 so I’m excluding that from my ranking. I love a lot of the Pokémon from Unova but that’s about as far as my knowledge goes. I think an extra bonus to playing in Kalos was seeing a lot more new Pokémon than most others purely because I’d skipped a generation. Ranking for

1 Gen 3 (R, OR)
2 Gen 6 (Y)
3 Gen 4 (P, Pl)
4 Gen 1 (FR, LG, Let’s Go)
5 Gen 9 (SC)
6 Gen 2 (HG)
7 Gen 8 (SW)
8 Gen 7 (US)

Sword was good but lacked a lot. Dexit never particularly bothered me in terms of gameplay as I generally use exclusively new mons in a playthrough anyway. But graphics, fps, the vast disparity between some super open-world areas and some rabbit holes, plus more: there were just too many downsides to Galar for me. Rillaboom is cool and leagues ahead of the other two starters for me but even then I’d rank it towards the bottom of my starter tier list.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 22nd March 2024, 09:36 PM
Post #9
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I see you had a poll error, so fixed it x

(and naturally voted for Gen 1, I have some fleeting interest in most eras, but that will always be the epitome of my childhood and the only one I played multiple times)

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 11:19 PM