BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Calum's EOY ▬ 2018, counting down the top 30 songs of the year now!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 19th December 2018, 09:19 PM
Post #21
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Benjy, Camila and Carrie wub.gif I quite liked Charlie's album but it definitely wasn't as good as Nine Track Mind for me sad.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Calum
post 19th December 2018, 09:42 PM
Post #22
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

5 Seconds of Summer
Youngblood

After 5SOS dropped Want You Back, I was SO ready for this album - a change in style that seemed to suit them perfectly and they were headed in the right direction after having major success with each album before. Yet while Want You Back was fantastic and Youngblood is probably one of their best singles to date, the album tracks are where things start to disappoint. While appreciating that every artist experiments with their style, the likes of Valentine and More just don't do it for me at all. The highlights of this album though, singles aside, are very clearly Lie to Me (which is such a lovely track), Ghost of You and Monster Among Men.

Highlights
Lie to Me
Youngblood
Ghost of You

--------------------

Motion Picture Cast Recording
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

Another soundtrack album now as we get closer to the top 10 albums of the year, and this time it's the follow-up to the hugely successful Mamma Mia, this time prominently featuring Lily James - a very welcome change from the overbearing Amanda Seyfried in the first film's soundtrack. Although for me the sequel's soundtrack isn't quite as fantastic as the first there are so many new versions of songs to enjoy here - as well as some new ABBA covers, i.e. Andante, Andante and Fernando; among the album highlights. Cher's Fernando scene remains one of the best (and funniest) moments of the film. Lily James is the true star of both the film and the soundtrack though. Her vocals are consistently good and she brings so much personality to the likes of When I Kissed the Teacher, Waterloo and Knowing Me, Knowing You.

Highlights
When I Kissed the Teacher
Andante, Andante
Fernando

--------------------

Amy MacDonald
Woman of the World (The Best of 2007 - 2018)

Greatest hits time and Amy MacDonald has finally come up for air and released one having spent the first ten years of her career releasing four brilliant albums. Including singles and favourite album tracks from This Is the Life, A Curious Thing, Life in a Beautiful Light and Under Stars - Woman of the World is a real celebration of the amazing songs she's written over the years. The new single of the same name to accompany the album, Woman of the World, is a nice up-beat track too and seems like a more abstract and delicate version of Thursday by Jess Glynne or Perfect by Anne-Marie, celebrating her achievements while at the same time still empowering. The only downfall of this album is that there aren't more new songs, but the two we did get are Amy at her best.

Highlights
Woman of the World
Left That Body Long Ago
Run

--------------------

The Vamps
Night & Day (Day Edition)

This is probably the one album by The Vamps that I've listened to least, yet it has some fantastic songs on it! It's not my favourite by them, but there's a couple of songs that I'll probably consider personal favourites a couple of years down the line. The likes of Personal and Hair Too Long carry the album well. Album tracks What Your Father Says and Pictures of Us are fantastic and among the best that the album has to offer. Although not altering their style of music too much, the album does seem a lot different to its counterpart Night Edition, and if you put them together they'd make for a wonderful album overall (perhaps with a few filler tracks trimmed off though).

Highlights
Hair Too Long
What Your Father Says
Pictures of Us

--------------------

Ariana Grande
Sweetener

Just missing out on a spot in my top 10 albums of 2018 is Ariana Grande's latest album Sweetener. I was torn about this album when I first listened. The first half of the album is a lot weaker than the second half I think. I don't get the fuss for tracks like REM, the light is coming, etc - whereas as the album progresses and we get to breathin, God is a woman and no tears to cry it really kicks up a gear and it's a magnificent treat for the ears. Other highlights include goodnight n go and borderline. It's not my favourite Ariana album by any means, but I do go back to it a lot and it includes one or two real career-defining moments.

Highlights
breathin
God is a woman
goodnight n go

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 20th December 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #23
Group icon

Vamps, Ari and 5SOS wub.gif none of them produced their best albums this year but nevertheless all are good albums!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 20th December 2018, 11:19 PM
Post #24
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 20 2018, 04:15 PM) *
Vamps, Ari and 5SOS wub.gif none of them produced their best albums this year but nevertheless all are good albums!

Agreed! Thanks Joseph! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 21st December 2018, 10:50 AM
Post #25
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I've heard a few of the Mamma Mia songs via chart recap videos and they all seemed nice enough, they did well managing to get 5 of the songs into 10 weeks of the charts!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 21st December 2018, 11:33 PM
Post #26
Group icon
nabad

Why Don't We
8 Letters

Yet another album I was inspired to listen to after seeing them dominating Joseph's chart throughout the year - and what an album this is. I've listened to it a fair amount, and all of the songs grow on me more each time. Talk and Hooked are among the best on the album as well as 8 Letters which is an adorable track. All of the songs on the album are all pretty great, to be honest. This has also encouraged me to discover more of their music, and recently with the build up to Christmas I've been playing their Christmas EP, and also impulsively bought their new book in Asda for myself. laugh.gif Definitely looking forward to hearing more from them in the future!

Highlights
Talk
Hooked
8 Letters

--------------------

Jess Glynne
Always In Between

Where to start with Glynne? She's been quite hit and miss for me this year. I'll Be There is probably one of my favourite songs by her. All I Am, I'm not a massive fan of. Thursday I hated to begin with, but it's grown on me a bit and I enjoy it when I hear it on the radio now, but it's not one I go back to a lot when listening to this album. For its few faults, the album itself is actually, surprisingly, really impressive. Songs like No One, 123 and Rollin are so feel-good, and all have the generic Jess Glynne vibe we've come to know as she churns out Hold My Hand after Hold My Hand. I probably enjoy this a LOT more than her début album I Cry When I Laugh which, singles aside, wasn't particularly outstanding.

Highlights
I'll Be There
No One
Rollin

--------------------

Anne-Marie
Speak Your Mind

It's taken a long time for me to love Speak Your Mind as much as I do now. It was probably 2002 that cemented it as one of the best albums of the year for me. That's probably my favourite single by Anne-Marie, but it's far from the only highlight on an album that is pretty much jam-packed with TUNES. The likes of Ciao Adios, Heavy, Alarm and FRIENDS make this an incredibly strong album. It does have a few duds, and at least one or two songs that I'd rather not pay much attention to or go back to (i.e. Perfect), but take the good with the bad, and she had to end her streak of amazing singles sooner or later. I'm excited to see what she does with her next album now, and hopefully it includes as many fantastic tracks as this one has!

Highlights
Ciao Adios
Heavy

--------------------

Little Mix
LM5

When I first listened to LM5 it was... interesting, to say the least. I think it was probably the first album of Little Mix's that I wasn't 100% sold on on first listen (even Salute had a few bops in it to outweigh the lows). The likes of Joan of Arc, Wasabi and Strip just seemed a little too weird to me. Admittedly, Strip and Wasabi have massively grown on me after many listens now. The clear highlights of the album for me though are some of the ballads, as well as the more 'typical' Little Mix songs. The Cure, Think About Us, Forget You Not, American Boy and Monster In Me are all absolutely incredible, and will probably be remembered, by me, as some of the best songs of their career. While it probably won't go down as my favourite Little Mix album by any means, it's definitely a really strong one with a mix of real experimentation and classic Little Mix.

Highlights
The Cure
Think About Us
Forget You Not

--------------------

Jonas Blue
Blue

Blue was another real surprise for me this year. I didn't expect to love it as much as I do and didn't even know it was being released until I saw it under new releases on Spotify. With so many incredible feature artists, it was inevitable that this was going to be an album full of fantastic songs. Rise and Drink to You are the highlights of the album - both Zak Abel and Jack & Jack's collaborations are spot on, while Liam Payne and Lennon Stella's Polaroid also puts up a good fight. Nina Nesbitt's appearance is also very welcome and that collab really stands out as a favourite too. There are some tracks that I'm not so keen on, but overall this album delivers the goods in a lot of ways.

Highlights
Drink to You
Polaroid
Rise

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th December 2018, 06:44 PM
Post #27
Group icon

WDW *.* not here for Jess Glynne being above them tho xx

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 26th December 2018, 11:37 AM
Post #28
Group icon

I'll need to give Jess' album a listen because her singles this era have disappointed me a little after how amazing her last era was sad.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 26th December 2018, 08:39 PM
Post #29
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 25 2018, 06:44 PM) *
WDW *.* not here for Jess Glynne being above them tho xx

Thanks for commenting Joseph wub.gif Glynne's album is decent, listen x

QUOTE(Petivity @ Dec 26 2018, 11:37 AM) *
I'll need to give Jess' album a listen because her singles this era have disappointed me a little after how amazing her last era was sad.gif

Some of the album tracks are definitely a lot better than the singles, but I think if Jess' singles in general annoy you then some of the album might too. laugh.gif

Thanks for commenting Pete! heart.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 26th December 2018, 08:44 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

LM5 is fab, agreed that it isn't their strongest but it shows who they are as artists, a bit like say GA they can experiment a bit and it makes them stand out and grow.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 26th December 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #31
Group icon
nabad

Motion Picture Cast Recording
The Greatest Showman

Heading into the top 5 now and the highest soundtrack album is The Greatest Showman! Not only is this probably among my favourite films of the last few years or so, the soundtrack is incredible! With some songs that focus on the theme of being 'good enough', and other songs that just make you feel so good inside and want to get up and dance, it's the perfect blend of melodies to make you go back and watch the film time and time again. The clear highlight from the album for me is Rewrite the Stars. Zac Efron and Zendaya's performance of the song in the film is unmatched by any other moment. It's beautiful, and it made me really click with the characters. Zendaya's vocals shine so much, particularly in the latter half. Other highlights from the soundtrack include Never Enough, a stunning performance from Loren Allred, as well as A Million Dreams, This Is Me and The Greatest Show which was the perfect way to open the film and introduce us to their world.

Highlights
Rewrite the Stars
Never Enough
A Million Dreams

--------------------

Rita Ora
Phoenix

The newest album to feature here in the top 5 albums of 2018 is Rita Ora's sophomore album, Phoenix. This has been one of my most anticipated albums (for the last 84 years x), and it's great to say that she certainly didn't disappoint. It wasn't going to be difficult to match or excel the strengths of ORA as I feel the highs of that album were mostly the singles. Nothing else seemed to stand out in a major way, but there are a lot of players on Phoenix! The likes of Only Want You, First Time High, Soul Survivor and Cashmere prove that it's not just a bunch of hit singles and some filler material. Obviously, some of the singles are absolutely fantastic - including Let You Love Me (my personal favourite), Anywhere, Girls and Your Song. After hearing her perform some of the tracks on her tour earlier in the year, I was so ready for this (particularly Soul Survivor which was incredibly emotional; particularly hearing her talk about its meaning). Rita delivered the goods after a long time away focusing on other projects!

Highlights
Let You Love Me
Only Want You
Anywhere

--------------------

Troye Sivan
Bloom

Possibly one of the biggest surprises of the year for me is Bloom - Troye Sivan's second album, follow-up to Blue Neighbourhood. I had never really paid much attention to Blue Neighbourhood besides the singles. I'd followed him during the release of his TRXYE EP, as well as the first few singles, and then re-joined him at a later point when he released Heaven with Betty Who (which is undoubtedly one of the best songs he's released, if not the best). Bloom, however, upon first listen struck a chord immediately and every song has formed a special place in my heart. There are a couple of songs that I don't tend to go back to, i.e. Dance to This, What a Heavenly Way to Die; but they're both still essential in forming such a beautiful album. Tracks like Seventeen, Postcard, Bloom and Plum all serve as excellent portrayals of falling in love, the journey while in love, falling out of love, exploring your sexuality, etc - something extremely pivotal in this album, and something so relatable also! Tracks like Lucky Strike, My My My! and The Good Side are also incredible. While the album's short and sweet, it's jam-packed full of songs that you can't wait to play again - and I can't wait to hear them on his 2019 tour!

Highlights
Seventeen
Postcard
Plum

--------------------

Kylie Minogue
Golden

Golden was a strange one for me. Obviously I listened as soon as it was released, but at the time never went back to it again. It was only a month or so before I was due to see her live in Glasgow that I started listening to the album again and everything suddenly fell into place. Dancing was a great choice for lead single from the album, and it's undoubtedly such classic Kylie blended with the 'country' vibe that this album follows a lot throughout, but there's so much more on the album that cements this as, for sure, one of her strongest and most cohesive of late. Lost Without You is one of the strongest on the album. It's certainly proven to be a fan favourite among many, and the performance from the Golden tour was beautiful. Kylie's vocals were on point, and a breathtaking light show did the song justice and then some. Other highlights from the album include A Lifetime to Repair - a song that has continued to grow on me SO much after repeated listens. It's such a fun, feel-good track, while at the same time carrying a more emotional meaning through its lyrics. Stop Me From Falling is such a feel-good, dance-along track that always makes me happy, and it's definitely up there with Lost Without You as my favourite from the album. When Kylie slows things down, tracks like Sincerely Yours, Shelby '68 and Radio On are really beautiful, and probably some of her better ballads and mid-tempo tracks. Overall, this is a standout Kylie album following on from the likes of X and Aphrodite, and one that I'm sure will continue to provide a lot of joy!

Highlights
Lost Without You
Stop Me From Falling
A Lifetime to Repair

--------------------

Shawn Mendes
Shawn Mendes

I don't know if there are enough words to describe how much I love Shawn Mendes' third, self-titled album, but I'll give it a go anyway because it's come to mean so much to me over the course of the year, and I'm sure it will continue to as we head into 2019 and beyond. After hearing In My Blood, which is undoubtedly one of his rawest, most emotional and vulnerable songs to date (more on that at a later time), I was SO ready for what was to come with this album. What I love about this album is that Shawn wasn't scared to tackle serious issues and extend a vital message with his lyrics, i.e. mental health in In My Blood, terrorism in Youth, and of course crushes, love and heartbreak for most of the album. Nothing could have prepared me for the album that we ended up with though. I've only listed five highlights below, but almost the entire album has a special place in my heart, and each and every one of them are relatable in some way, shape and form. Fallin' All In You, Because I Had You, Lost in Japan and Queen are all so classically Shawn, but at the same time head in a new direction, following the trend of the album and exploring some more avenues of sound and style that Shawn hasn't yet done. Songs like Why and Perfectly Wrong, completely stripping things back, prove that his voice alone can serve the tea fans are searching for. Both are incredibly emotional, and prove that, like In My Blood, Shawn's very open and very honest lyrics can be very relatable. Some songs that I didn't quite take to at first have climbed their way up massively in my affections - mainly Where Were You in the Morning?, When You're Ready and Particular Taste. All three are very different, but all outstanding in their own way. With all that said about Shawn's third album, I still don't think he's peaked yet as an artist, and think there are many more avenues he can continue to explore, and many more hits he can surprise us with, so I'm incredibly excited to see what his fourth album brings to the table. In the meantime, I'll look forward to reliving this album many times on Spotify, and hearing them all on his tour in 2019! heart.gif

Highlights
In My Blood
Fallin' All In You
Because I Had You
Queen
Youth

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 26th December 2018, 10:04 PM
Post #32
Group icon

Shawn's best body of work to date. He's really flourishing as an artist. Cannot wait for the tour wub.gif

Lost Without You being your Golden highlight *.*

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 27th December 2018, 02:21 PM
Post #33
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Golden was a good mix of country and dance pop. Favourite tracks: Music's Too Sad Without You, Raining Glitter.
From what I've heard, Shawn Mendes' new material sounds very good, Lost In Japan and Youth being my favourites from him this year.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 27th December 2018, 05:55 PM
Post #34
Group icon

Not surprised to see Shawn take the title! Youth is my favourite out of the tracks I've heard but there aren't any tracks I've particularly disliked either.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 29th December 2018, 11:19 PM
Post #35
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 26 2018, 10:04 PM) *
Shawn's best body of work to date. He's really flourishing as an artist. Cannot wait for the tour wub.gif

Lost Without You being your Golden highlight *.*

Feel like the tour's going to be incredible wub.gif

Thanks Joseph heart.gif

QUOTE(SantaDalek32 @ Dec 27 2018, 02:21 PM) *
Golden was a good mix of country and dance pop. Favourite tracks: Music's Too Sad Without You, Raining Glitter.
From what I've heard, Shawn Mendes' new material sounds very good, Lost In Japan and Youth being my favourites from him this year.

Raining Glitter is a great track too actually! I'm actually finding myself preferring the Lost in Japan remix to the original right now, but I still appreciate the original loads. kink.gif

Thanks for commenting Dalek! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Petivity @ Dec 27 2018, 05:55 PM) *
Not surprised to see Shawn take the title! Youth is my favourite out of the tracks I've heard but there aren't any tracks I've particularly disliked either.

Yasss Youth is great, I feel like he and Khalid's voices go together perfectly too.

Thanks Pete! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 29th December 2018, 11:31 PM
Post #36
Group icon
nabad

Top 30 Albums re-cap:

01 Shawn Mendes - Shawn Mendes
02 Kylie Minogue - Golden
03 Troye Sivan - Bloom
04 Rita Ora - Phoenix
05 Motion Picture Cast Recording - The Greatest Showman
06 Jonas Blue - Blue
07 Little Mix - LM5
08 Anne-Marie - Speak Your Mind
09 Jess Glynne - Always In Between
10 Why Don't We - 8 Letters

11 Ariana Grande - Sweetener
12 The Vamps - Night & Day (Day Edition)
13 Amy MacDonald - Woman of the World (The Best of 2007 - 2018)
14 Motion Picture Cast Recording - Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
15 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood
16 James Bay - Electric Light
17 Camila Cabello - Camila
18 Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty
19 Alvaro Soler - Mar De Colores
20 Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - A Star Is Born

21 Benjamin Ingrosso - Identification
22 Sigala - Brighter Days
23 Charlie Puth - Voicenotes
24 Various Artists - The Greatest Showman: Reimagined
25 Tori Kelly - Hiding Place
26 Years & Years - Palo Santo
27 Panic! At the Disco - Pray For the Wicked
28 KT Tunstall - WAX
29 Alec Benjamin - Narrated For You
30 Jagwar Twin - Subject to Flooding

Will be kicking off the countdown of my top songs of the year very soon so stay tuned! cool.gif

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 30th December 2018, 09:31 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hello Calum!
Really like most of the albums on your countdown, a lot of them to count down!
Here are the albums that I like:
01 Shawn Mendes - Shawn Mendes
04 Rita Ora - Phoenix
05 Motion Picture Cast Recording - The Greatest Showman
06 Jonas Blue - Blue
07 Little Mix - LM5
08 Anne-Marie - Speak Your Mind
09 Jess Glynne - Always In Between
11 Ariana Grande - Sweetener
12 The Vamps - Night & Day (Day Edition)
13 Amy MacDonald - Woman of the World (The Best of 2007 - 2018)
15 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood
16 James Bay - Electric Light
17 Camila Cabello - Camila
19 Alvaro Soler - Mar De Colores
20 Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - A Star Is Born
22 Sigala - Brighter Days
23 Charlie Puth - Voicenotes
24 Various Artists - The Greatest Showman: Reimagined
26 Years & Years - Palo Santo
27 Panic! At the Disco - Pray For the Wicked
Also I'm glad that you like the Alvaro Soler album, you're welcome for it!
Great chart so far!

This post has been edited by sergejdordij98: 30th December 2018, 09:33 AM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 31st December 2018, 01:46 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Shawn wub.gif Talent wins *.*

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th February 2019, 12:02 AM
Post #39
Group icon
nabad

hi.gif

Apologies for being such a flop with beginning the songs countdown. I've decided to condense the countdown into a top 30 of my favourites from throughout 2018. Although it's probably not a completely reflective list of my favourite songs from the year, the top 3 have been set in stone for a while so there's no changes there!

21 Kylie Minogue - Dancing
22 Rita Ora - Girls (feat. Charli XCX, Cardi B & Bebe Rexha)
23 Troye Sivan - Postcard (feat. Gordi)
24 Kylie Minogue - A Lifetime to Repair
25 Shawn Mendes - Nervous
26 Camila Cabello - Consequences
27 The Vamps - Personal (feat. Maggie Lindemann)
28 Kylie Minogue - Lost Without You
29 The Vamps - Hair Too Long
30 Why Don’t We - 8 Letters

Beginning the countdown at #30 we have 8 Letters by Why Don't We - a track from their début of the same name. This was one of the tracks that stood out instantly to me when listening through. Although there's so much to enjoy on their mini-album, this is a stand-out, and a change in pace from some of the others on offer.

Next up it's The Vamps with Hair Too Long, taken from the Day Edition of Night & Day. Not only that, but just a few places up we've got another single, Personal, featuring Maggie Lindemann of Pretty Girl fame. Both songs are so typically "The Vamps", and the added bonus of having Maggie feature is the icing on the cake (this was especially brilliant to hear live when she joined them on stage to perform both Personal and Pretty Girl). Hair Too Long is a bit more funky than some Vamps singles, but fantastic nonetheless, and Brad in the video is worth mentioning x

Kylie Minogue makes not one, not two but THREE appearances in this 21-30 section. Lowest of those is Lost Without You, my favourite album track from her fourteenth studio album Golden. Also featuring are singles Dancing and A Lifetime to Repair. All three of these were highlights from the Golden Tour, but as well as that three of the best that the album has to offer. A Lifetime to Repair took a little longer than the other two to click, but now I can't imagine ever disliking it / sleeping on it. Dancing proved the perfect way to kick off a new era for Kylie, and showed she can still give us the future classics we're waiting for!

Finally, we have entries here from Rita Ora, Troye Sivan, Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello. Girls - a collaboration that became just a tad controversial, albeit unjustifiably so in my eyes - is a damn good single from the campaign for Phoenix contrary to popular opinion. It's perfectly catchy pop and has great features from Bebe, Cardi and Charli. Postcard is one of my favourite album tracks from Troye's second album Bloom. It's rather emotional, but I can't put my finger on why really. The second "single", Nervous, taken from Shawn's self-titled third album also appears here. It's a brilliant song, but overshadowed somewhat by the single that came before it. And finishing the section off, ballad Consequences secures its place as probably my favourite of Camila's material - incredibly emotive, moving and powerful.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th February 2019, 12:03 AM
Post #40
Group icon

EVERY SONG IS GOOD *.*

+Quote this post