BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Riser Recaps 2018, DONE!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Riser
post Dec 18 2018, 11:17 PM
Post #1
The horrors persist, but so do I
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

Finally starting this week! Due to time constraints I'm heavily reducing the number of "recaps" this year, but the countdown, hopefully a top 60, will remain intact with full commentary, and I'll lead up to it with a handful of honorable/dishonorable mentions, i.e. recapping songs that won't make it in the official EOY. It'll just be more like 10-15 rather than the usual 40-50. I'm excited, and the #1 is yet to be decided! Predictions are welcome, and the recaps will go alphabetically by artist as usual. Starting with a "dishonorable mention", who could it possibly be? ohmy.gif

Side note: Artists starting with a 6 or an X will not be mentioned or acknowledged in this thread.

EDIT: Or skip the thread and see the top 60 below (in spoiler tags):
1. Taylor Swift “Delicate”
2. Shawn Mendes “In My Blood”
3. Imagine Dragons “Whatever It Takes”
4. Halsey “Without Me”
5. Juice Wrld “Lucid Dreams”
6. Kendrick Lamar & SZA “All The Stars”
7. Post Malone feat. Ty Dolla $ign “Psycho”
8. Alessia Cara “Growing Pains”
9. Ariana Grande “God Is A Woman”
10. Walk The Moon “One Foot”
11. Bebe Rexha feat. Florida Georgia Line “Meant To Be”
12. Mabel & Not3s “Fine Line”
13. Rita Ora “Anywhere”
14. The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar “Pray For Me”
15. Meghan Trainor “No Excuses”
16. Charlie Puth “The Way I Am”
17. A$AP Rocky feat. Skepta “Praise The Lord (Da Shine)”
18. Ella Mai “Boo’d Up”
19. Panic! At The Disco “High Hopes”
20. David Guetta & Sia “Flames”
21. Dennis Lloyd “Nevermind”
22. Liam Payne & Rita Ora “For You”
23. Post Malone “Better Now”
24. Tiesto & Dzeko feat. Preme & Post Malone “Jackie Chan”
25. Maroon 5 “Wait”
26. Carrie Underwood “Love Wins”
27. Tyga feat. Offset “Taste”
28. Zayn “Let Me”
29. Logic & Marshmello “Everyday”
30. Silk City & Dua Lipa “Electricity”
31. Alessia Cara “Trust My Lonely”
32. G-Eazy feat. A$AP Rocky & Cardi B “No Limit”
33. Ariana Grande “Breathin”
34. Loud Luxury feat. Brando “Body”
35. Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin “I Like It”
36. M-22 feat. Medina “First Time”
37. Troye Sivan “My My My!”
38. Kendrick Lamar feat. Zacari “Love.”
39. King Princess “1950”
40. Lil Dicky feat. Chris Brown “Freaky Friday”
41. P!nk “Beautiful Trauma”
42. Ary “Already There”
43. Keala Settle “This Is Me”
44. Bruno Mars & Cardi B “Finesse”
45. Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa “One Kiss”
46. Alice Merton “No Roots”
47. Little Mix feat. Nicki Minaj “Woman Like Me”
48. Years & Years “Sanctify”
49. Taylor Swift “…Ready For It?”
50. Ria Mae “Bend”
51. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper “Shallow”
52. Bryce Vine “Drew Barrymore”
53. Charli XCX feat. Troye Sivan “1999”
54. Rita Ora “Let You Love Me”
55. Kacey Musgraves “Space Cowboy”
56. Dierks Bentley feat. Brothers Osborne “Burning Man”
57. Dierks Bentley “Woman, Amen”
58. Kacey Musgraves “High Horse”
59. Shawn Mendes & Zedd “Lost In Japan”
60. NF “Let You Down”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Dec 18 2018, 11:22 PM
Post #2
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

No X Ambassadors then? kink.gif

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 19 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #3
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Looking forward to this! Enjoy most of the music you listen to so hope to make a few discoveries here!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Dec 20 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #4
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Hyped *.*

+Quote Post
Riser
post Dec 20 2018, 10:14 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 20 2018, 11:26 AM) *
Hyped *.*
cheer.gif
QUOTE(Petivity @ Dec 19 2018, 03:17 PM) *
Looking forward to this! Enjoy most of the music you listen to so hope to make a few discoveries here!
Ooh, I'm not sure there will be many songs people don't already know...but hopefully a few!
QUOTE(CodySleighBell-y @ Dec 18 2018, 06:22 PM) *
No X Ambassadors then? kink.gif
Banned until further notice sad.gif

+Quote Post
Riser
post Dec 20 2018, 10:25 PM
Post #6

Bazzi "Mine"
Bazzi featuring Camila Cabello "Beautiful"

Usually I like short songs. It's impressive to me when anyone can fit an entire song into less than 2:30, and if it's not a good song at least it's over with quickly. Unfortunately I can't even get through the first verse of "Mine" without switching to something else. To Bazzi's credit, it is a unique-sounding hit, and became a hit in the most unconventional way, from some sort of Snapchat meme (apparently??? I've never used Snapchat so idk). I certainly don't see the appeal of it without the meme.
Bazzi himself has barely made an impression on me either. The interviews I've heard were so deadpan and boring, and his singing voice sounds pretty unremarkable too. Follow-up single "Beautiful" was more of the same, but the addition of Camila Cabello does add some much-needed personality to the song. He's done well to break through in the streaming era, even if it was mostly by luck (aren't they all?), but Bazzi is the first of my dishonorable mentions for 2018.

Bebe Rexha "I'm A Mess"

Five years after Bebe first took off with her feature on "Take Me Home", she continues to be as hit-and-miss as ever, if not more so. It's safe to say she didn't have anything to keep her momentum going after "Meant To Be", and so she gave us "I'm A Mess" which is very much just okay. It was nice that she finally got her album out, but this song was no incentive to actually listen to it. I have heard "2 Souls On Fire" which is a lot better IMO, and "Ferrari" which I'm not sure would've done better tbh, but good on her for finally getting a top 40 hit all on her own, on Billboard at least!
The highlight of its run as a single was her performance on Big Brother which sent it to the top 3 on US iTunes! It did sound a bit better as an acoustic version too. It's just not a well-written song, the melodies are clunky and it's a poor display of her vocals. The message is good though, yay for embracing your flaws and whatnot. That said, I reckon Bebe's done promoting her album now and will move on to something else next year.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Dec 20 2018, 11:07 PM
Post #7
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

These three songs are okay

+Quote Post
Calum
post Dec 20 2018, 11:18 PM
Post #8
nabad
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 18,316

Excited for this countdown Jordan *.*

I loved Beautiful for a couple of weeks then it very quickly lost its appeal. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
danG
post Dec 21 2018, 10:36 AM
Post #9
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Bazzi is such an inessential pop singer. I liked Mine for a few weeks but it isn't really that good, and Beautiful was fairly bad. No doubt he'll be forgotten about soon as Spotify stop putting him on Today's Top Hits.

Didn't like I'm A Mess either, it just shows the worst of her voice.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 21 2018, 10:47 AM
Post #10
   No Gallery Pics

Mine was a proper earworm for me, I remember going round university open days having it stuck in my head. Agree that Beautiful was completely dull and pointless though.

+Quote Post
Sergej
post Dec 21 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

The first 2 songs are good, except for "I'm A Mess", which I can't stand.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 3 2019, 06:10 AM
Post #12

Thanks for the comments, this will be resuming very soon I promise laugh.gif I had absolutely no time for it over Christmas but am just about able to start catching up on mine and everyone else's EOYs

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 5 2019, 02:41 PM
Post #13

Cardi B featuring Kehlani "Ring"
Charlie Puth featuring Kehlani "Done For Me"

Is it just me or is Kehlani cursed to never have a hit, and passing that on to any song she features in? I really like her but her chart history is pretty depressing, and yet I thought someone like Charlie Puth could easily break the curse for her. Tbh I'd never liked a Charlie Puth single up to this point, but objectively "Done For Me" sounded smooth and solid enough, especially considering his consistent chart fortunes. Seriously, what else could've gone wrong with it other than Kehlani?
Kehlani did finally crack the Billboard top 40 last year with her seventh top 100 entry, when her feature on Cardi B's "Ring" debuted at #28 as an album track on release week. This got a fair amount of airplay in the US after "I Like It", and Kehlani's chorus was genuinely stuck in my head for most of October and November. Cardi (or her label) barely gave it a push since she was probably already planning to release "Money", which is a shame because "Ring" is, well, better in all aspects IMO. kink.gif Kehlani's luck reminds me of Bebe Rexha pre-2018, so maybe this year she can have her "Meant To Be" moment?

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jan 5 2019, 02:55 PM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

Ring is decent and Done For Me is one of my favourites from Puth, shame this didn't crack the Top 40
The only time Kehlani cracked the UK Top 40 so far was in 2017 when she was featured on the Stormzy song "Cigarettes & Cush", and that only charted due to an album bomb.

This post has been edited by DalekTurret32: Jan 5 2019, 02:57 PM

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 6 2019, 08:56 PM
Post #15

Demi Lovato "Tell Me You Love Me"

Prior to Demi's unfortunate health issues last year, it was nice to see her finally hitting her stride and going from strength to strength, all leading to her Clean Bandit feature giving her a very first #1. But that didn't stop "Tell Me You Love Me", the second and final single from the album of the same name, from being relatively overlooked despite the roaring success of "Sorry Not Sorry". So here's a little recognition for it now!
Actually it's not even one of my favorites of hers, but I was willing it to do well for her anyway and disappointed that it fell short. sad.gif The melody is just not very gripping but Demi's vocals can make anything sound better. I think this could be pretty well remembered anyway even without being a hit. Crazy how after 10 years her star is still growing each era, can that continue once she's through with recovery?? Here's hoping!!

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jan 6 2019, 09:10 PM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

Tell Me You Love Me is a great song and one of my favourites from Demi, along with the tear-jerking Sober

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 7 2019, 10:00 PM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

Tell Me You Love Me is actually one of my favourite Demi songs, I really thought it could be a hit as well as it deserved it sad.gif

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 7 2019, 10:07 PM
Post #18

5 Seconds Of Summer "Want You Back"
5 Seconds Of Summer "Youngblood"

Forgot to include 5SOS in the beginning so casually slotting them in here magic.gif It's no secret that this group benefited far more from the previous chart climate than the current one, but they somehow beat the odds to earn their most enduring hit to date. But first we'll start with "Want You Back", which had the same short shelf life as their other recent singles and gave the campaign a far from promising start. That said I really like the song, my favorite from 5SOS since their debut!
"Youngblood", on the other hand, clearly had something that their other songs didn't and quickly became a Spotify #1 in their homeland, followed by the rest of the world catching on. I really didn't get it at first and still am not sure that I do, but the surprise success was enough to warm me to the song. So far it hasn't carried over to their follow-up singles but I haven't listened to any of those yet either. Still, hopefully a sign of more unlikely hits in 2019.

Foster The People "Sit Next To Me"

If you like "Pumped Up Kicks" but haven't kept up with Foster The People you're really missing out. They never deserved to be one-hit wonders in the first place, but after seven years someone finally decided that "Sit Next To Me" was worthy of the extra promo to be their next crossover hit. It fell just short of the Hot 100's top 40, peaking at #42 - not bad though for their first entry since 2012! I had the pleasure of seeing them live this summer as well.
Honestly, if you didn't know any better, I'd forgive you for thinking Foster The People had three hits in the past year. Not only do Portugal. The Man's "Feel It Still" and lovelytheband's "Broken" sound like Mark Foster on vocals (this is based on my parents hearing both songs, months apart from each other, and both times asking if it was Foster The People tongue.gif I agree they're similar though!), but all three bands have three-word names with "the" in the middle. Suddenly I have a theory as to how these random alternative crossovers are being selected thinking.gif

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 9 2019, 09:54 PM
Post #19

Halsey featuring Big Sean & Stefflon Don "Alone"
Halsey featuring Lauren Jauregui "Strangers"

Wtf was this single choice. After "Bad At Love" became a massive solo hit for Halsey, her momentum was nearly sabotaged by releasing this damp squib of a song next. Of course we know she's actually fine as she currently sits at #1 on Billboard, but that still doesn't justify what happened with "Alone". The production is boring and doesn't suit her voice, and the addition of Big Sean and Stefflon Don did nothing to rescue it from terribleness. As soon as I heard the intro on the radio I would switch stations every time.
"Strangers" wasn't a 2018 single and technically shouldn't be included here, but needless to say, how was that not chosen instead!? Sure it's a collab with a lesser-known Fifth Harmony member, but it has sooo much more emotion and chemistry, compared to "Alone" which felt very very forced. I guess same-sex love songs are still too risky in 2018 which is a shame. It's a bit pointless now anyway since Halsey's 2019 is looking very very promising--quality wise and chart wise!

Kelly Clarkson "I Don't Think About You"

On the other hand, sometimes bad single choices can still be good. I mean, while Kelly's album was a big return to form and all but a couple of the songs are great, I'm not sure who thought "I Don't Think About You" was the second-most single-worthy track on it. laugh.gif We were originally told it would be either "Heat" or "Medicine", both of which were definite highlights and would have made a decent impression. I'm still quite disappointed she didn't go with either of those (for single 2, obviously "Heat" became the third one).
"I Don't Think About You" is still a very nice ballad, of course, and I enjoyed hearing it on the radio but it does not stand out in Kelly's singles discography like the aforementioned songs would have. My best guess is they didn't want two uptempos in a row, or were trying to make this the era's "Piece By Piece" moment (both being piano ballads and all), even though that couldn't be re-created without the promo or timing that the former had (i.e. her Idol performance). It hardly matters anymore now that Kelly's no longer a chart force so I'm just moaning from a fan's perspective. Fingers crossed I'll be seeing her live this year!!

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 11 2019, 03:00 AM
Post #20

Migos "Stir Fry"

After several years I finally found a Migos song that's not only good, but pretty spectacular! It took some magic from Pharrell, or should I say a lot of magic because there's a LOT going on here. And the production is by far the highlight here, an incredible array of instruments and rhythms that somehow blend together perfectly. I feel like Pharrell has had a pretty bad rap around here lately (some of it deserved tbf) so this was a nice reminder that he's still a musical genius.
I'll even give Migos some credit too, it's nice to hear the three of them cohesively doing their own thing rather than just repeating what each other says. Stuck between two singles that both got more attention simply for who was featured on them (Nicki & Cardi B on "Motorsport", and Drake on "Walk It Talk It"), it felt like "Stir Fry" barely had its moment to shine. But if we have to deal with Migos being popular for a few more years, at least we can hope for more songs like this one.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:45 AM