BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter's Top 40 so far this month (NEW FORMAT), now with song links and write-up
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 11th August 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Because of the nature of my weekly playlist updating (and clearing out nearly all of the old) every week, I've decided to scrap doing a week-on-week chart for me in the personal playlist section and instead do a run-down of my top 40 tracks in the month. Every week, this will update, so its much of a muchness. I'm unsure, but other people might already be doing theirs this way.

I'll also be featuring links to some of the more unorthodox tracks to make the top 40; Spotify recommends me all sorts of new and old things to fit with my taste, and I might as well share on tracks that have caught my fancy, whether older, or potential future hits. See below the first post for links to tracks marked with a star (*).

So without further ado:
For period 12/07/16 to 11/08/16:

01 AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean
02 Chainsmokers ft. Daya - Don't Let Me Down
03 Britney Spears - Make Me
04 Madasun - Don't You Worry
05 M83 - Walkway Blues
06 Harry Shadow ft. Chi - Flicker
07 Rihanna - Sledgehammer
08 Zayn - She
09 George Maple - Sticks and Horses
10 Major Lazer ft. Justin Bieber & M0 - Cold Water
11 Katelyn Tarver - Weekend Millionaires * [FUTURE HIT?]
12 Honne - Take You High
13 Pink - Long Way To Happy
14 Glass Animals - Youth
15 Tove Lo - Cool Girl
16 Secret Rendezvous - Better than She Can
17 Ariana Grande - Into You
18 Grimes - Realiti
19 ABC - Viva Love
20 Fifth Harmony - Flex (All in my Head)
21 Tegan and Sara - Dying to Know *
22 Marian Hill - Mistaken *
23 Bright Light Bright Light - How Does It Feel
24 Sleigh Bells - Hyper Dark
25 Chainsmokers ft. Halsey - Closer
26 Kygo ft. Julia Michaels - Carry Me * [FUTURE HIT?]
27 Kaskade ft. Ofelia K - Fakin It
28 Work Drugs - Free To Roam
29 Pink - I'm Not Dead
30 Foals - Lonely Hunter
31 Tegan and Sara - Stop Desire
32 SNBRN ft. Holly Winter - Sometimes
33 Jonas Blue - Perfect Strangers
34 BB Diamond - Praying *
35 M.O - Who Do You Think Of?
36 Fergie - MILF$
37 Bat For Lashes - Joe's Dream
38 Honne - Good Together
39 Rae Sremmurd - Look Alive
40 Nothing But Thieves - Graveyard Whistling

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 11th August 2016, 11:43 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 11th August 2016, 09:08 PM
Post #2
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

This has been an interesting month with a lot of new releases and some oldies spicing up my monthly chart. The new track by AlunaGeorge comes straight in at the top, their third consecutive single that's been a big earworm for me, following I'm In Control and I Remember, the former of which is already in hot contention to be my #1 song of the year.

This month sees, following the release of Alice Through The Looking Glass theme Just Like Fire, a reignited interest for me in Pink. Two of her older songs chart this month, fourth album I'm Not Dead (2006) album tracks Long Way to Happy and the title track. At the bottom end of the chart, M.O, Fergie, and Jonas Blue's Perfect Strangers are on their way out, after charting highly and sticking around for substantial periods after their initial releases.

At the top end, George Maple's Sticks and Horses reaches a new high after being a slow burner for the past month or so. Tove Lo's Cool Girl comes storming in as the most recent highest new entry at 15. Expect that one to climb in upcoming weeks. Previous top 5s Zayn's She, Chainsmokers' Don't Let Me Down and Rihanna's Sledgehammer are still making strong showings, while #4 is perhaps the most unexpected - Madasun, a 90s alternative styled girl/woman-band, with a song that I picked up from ThePensmith's girl group top 40 singles thread.

As for the song links this week;

Katelyn Tarver I came across as the featured singer on the latest track by Lost Kings. She's a former child star in the vein of Ariana Grande and Zara Larsson, and this track fits nicely into the current pop landscape. As of last week its even got a music video:

Tegan and Sara are old hands in the music business by now, and saw some success in the UK with their second-last album Heartthrob, a change of direction from their previous indie rock/alternative pop output. They've continued their forays into pop with current album Love You to Death, and on certain tracks seem to be chasing the 80s-inspired sound that propelled Carly Rae Jepsen to unexpected critical acclaim last year:

Marian Hill are actually a band, not a single woman; at this point in their career, perhaps best known in Europe for providing the hook on Romanian singer Inna's Diggy Down. Having just released their first album Act One, they might be on the way up. I've been a fan since their first EP, and always curious what my favourite artists are up to next. This might not catch you on first listen, but its definitely a grower:

Coming across Kygo's album on Spotify, this was the track that stuck out for me and the one that made it onto my playlists as a possible future single. Easy listening and inoffensive, a pop song with Kygo's trademark sound styled twist, and an easy add to a playlist:

Finally, a track that I came across on Spotify that caught my attention. Feelgood, reminiscent of the kind of tracks Jess Glynne was releasing last year and with shades of what Kiesza was releasing the year before that, a 90s-sounding high energy dance-pop track with gospel elements. What more could you want? Side note though, the video's a little dark for my tastes and I don't think does the song justice. Try listening rather than watching:

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 11th August 2016, 09:09 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 10:31 PM