BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ♡ Jade's favourite top 40 hits of each year (1997 onwards) ♡, 1997 completed! 1998 commencing soon...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Riser
post Yesterday, 05:28 AM
Post #81
Little bit holy water, still a little bit burning man
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

Hi Jade! hi.gif Decided to just do a full comment at the end, I won't know too many of these until it gets to the late 2000s. But 1997 was loaded with classics so what a year to start with *.*

01. Dario G - Sunchyme
02. Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life This is probably my favorite Spice Girls song because it's so fast-paced and infectious, it's soooo hard to choose though!
04. Olive - You're Not Alone Did you know this song entered the chart in a record-breaking chart week as there were 20 new entries in the top 40? ohmy.gif I learned that several years ago so not sure if the record still stands, but it probably does!
05. Adam F - Circles
06. White Town - Your Woman Ooh I just heard this a few days ago!! It's aged very well, doesn't sound like a #1 to me which makes it more awesome that it actually was one. Gorillaz is a great comparison! Plus, imagine if this song never existed and Naughty Boy couldn't sample it - would his breakthrough have ever happened? ohmy.gif
08. Will Smith - Men In Black
10. Robbie Williams - Angels
11. The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony
14. Blur - Song 2
16. The Notorious B.I.G. - Hypnotize
19. Puff Daddy & Faith Evans - I'll Be Missing You (feat. 112)
20. Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back) I've been wondering why this song was associated with Halloween ohmy.gif Maybe I've somehow never seen the video, I'm glad you pointed it out!
39. Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
40. Janet Jackson - Got 'Til It's Gone (feat. Q-Tip & Joni Mitchell)

Awesome thread so far biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Post #82
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(Riser @ Feb 16 2019, 05:28 AM) *
Hi Jade! hi.gif Decided to just do a full comment at the end, I won't know too many of these until it gets to the late 2000s. But 1997 was loaded with classics so what a year to start with *.*

01. Dario G - Sunchyme
02. Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life This is probably my favorite Spice Girls song because it's so fast-paced and infectious, it's soooo hard to choose though!
04. Olive - You're Not Alone Did you know this song entered the chart in a record-breaking chart week as there were 20 new entries in the top 40? ohmy.gif I learned that several years ago so not sure if the record still stands, but it probably does!
05. Adam F - Circles
06. White Town - Your Woman Ooh I just heard this a few days ago!! It's aged very well, doesn't sound like a #1 to me which makes it more awesome that it actually was one. Gorillaz is a great comparison! Plus, imagine if this song never existed and Naughty Boy couldn't sample it - would his breakthrough have ever happened? ohmy.gif
08. Will Smith - Men In Black
10. Robbie Williams - Angels
11. The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony
14. Blur - Song 2
16. The Notorious B.I.G. - Hypnotize
19. Puff Daddy & Faith Evans - I'll Be Missing You (feat. 112)
20. Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back) I've been wondering why this song was associated with Halloween ohmy.gif Maybe I've somehow never seen the video, I'm glad you pointed it out!
39. Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
40. Janet Jackson - Got 'Til It's Gone (feat. Q-Tip & Joni Mitchell)

Awesome thread so far biggrin.gif

Hey there Jordan! hi.gif heart.gif

I was hoping you'd stumble across this thread and enjoy it, as you always seem to appreciate the retro chart feature of my regular personal chart *.* fair enough at you not expecting to know many until the 2000s, I cannot wait to get into that decade as it's my ultimate favourite decade of music <3 it definitely benefits from me growing up during that time but so many amazing genres were thriving during this time, already excited to dive into 2000 for garage alone, for instance! Hooray for 1997 providing highlights anyway, I'm currently creating my 1998 list and this one was even harder to cut down so hopefully you can maybe find a few highlights there.

Fantastic choice of favourite Spice Girls song if I say so myself wub.gif it is my second favourite of theirs but definitely the best Spice uptempo <3 I agree that it is so infectious, it was recorded in quite a manic way (they were in the middle of filming Spice World the movie at the same time and were constantly interrupted, I don't know how they did it!) so it feels so authentically fast-paced and fun. Also, I had no idea about that Olive fact ohmy.gif I'm ashamed of myself for not noticing how many new entries were in the chart that week as I've been combing through the OCC archive section for this laugh.gif wow though, that's incredible, how phresh! Would love to know if that was beaten but I'd assume not.

The impact of you hearing 'Your Woman' so recently *.* some of the songs in this countdown have been following me around on the radio atm, namely 'I'll Be Missing You', 'Never Gonna Let You Go', 'Spice Up Your Life' and 'Everybody (Backstreet's Back)'! It hassss aged very well indeed and definitely feels like an unorthodox chart-topper <3 I wish this kind of alternative dance/trip-hop sound was still a chart force. Glad you see it, the vocals remind me so much of Damon's Gorillaz style and they often have quite alternative production. Oh my!! ohmy.gif now there's a thought laugh.gif

Yeah I was confused about the Halloween connection in the past too but it all made sense when I saw the video. Still tenuous though kink.gif yay for that being an educational tidbit anyway x

Thank you, glad you're enjoying it so far biggrin.gif *.*

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Post #83
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

Hi Jade,here is my own top 20 from 1997. It was a very good year for music. Some of these are on your chart as well. As you've only included top 40 singles in your list,I've done the same so any non hits or album tracks from my top 1000 are not included here.

1. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
2. Depeche Mode - Home
3. Massive Attack - Risingson
4. The Orb - Toxygene
5. Olive - You're Not Alone
6. Eels - Susan's House
7. Radiohead - Karma Police
8. Prefab Sprout - A Prisoner Of The Past
9. The Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank
10. Pet Shop Boys - Somewhere
11. White Town - Your Woman
12. Republica - Ready To Go
13. The Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats
14. Daft Punk - Da Funk
15. Echo and the Bunnymen - Nothing Lasts Forever
16. Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out!
17. The Source featuring Candi Staton - You Got The Love (remix)
18. Monaco - What Do You Want From Me?
19. The Future Sound Of London - We Have Explosive
20. DJ Quicksilver - Bellissima

The first 13 of those were all in my top 1000.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Post #84
Mansonette
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Feb 14 2019, 08:12 PM) *
Oh and dandy - wot no Sunny Came Home and Robyn!! ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Sunny Came Home was 1998 for me... but Robyn, well let's just say I didn't get at all on board until about 2005 onwards, her pop tracks from 97 were just not my thing at all.

Just catching up with your top 10 Jade - nice enough #1, I do still like that now. The real highs for me are White Town ( wub.gif ), Chemical Brothers, Olive, Adam F and Oasis - the latter I went off for quite some time but I think it's aged rather well in the end.

+Quote Post
Jade
post 22 hours ago
Post #85
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Feb 16 2019, 02:09 PM) *
Hi Jade,here is my own top 20 from 1997. It was a very good year for music. Some of these are on your chart as well. As you've only included top 40 singles in your list,I've done the same so any non hits or album tracks from my top 1000 are not included here.

1. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
2. Depeche Mode - Home
3. Massive Attack - Risingson
4. The Orb - Toxygene
5. Olive - You're Not Alone
6. Eels - Susan's House
7. Radiohead - Karma Police
8. Prefab Sprout - A Prisoner Of The Past
9. The Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank
10. Pet Shop Boys - Somewhere
11. White Town - Your Woman
12. Republica - Ready To Go
13. The Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats
14. Daft Punk - Da Funk
15. Echo and the Bunnymen - Nothing Lasts Forever
16. Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out!
17. The Source featuring Candi Staton - You Got The Love (remix)
18. Monaco - What Do You Want From Me?
19. The Future Sound Of London - We Have Explosive
20. DJ Quicksilver - Bellissima

The first 13 of those were all in my top 1000.

Hi Rollo hi.gif thank you for sharing your top 20 chart hits *.* pleased to see that we have a handful in common, almost a snap position for Olive! I'll make sure to check out the songs I don't know as there are quite a few of those.

QUOTE(dandy* @ Feb 16 2019, 02:22 PM) *
Just catching up with your top 10 Jade - nice enough #1, I do still like that now. The real highs for me are White Town ( wub.gif ), Chemical Brothers, Olive, Adam F and Oasis - the latter I went off for quite some time but I think it's aged rather well in the end.

Hooray for a good half of those being highs for you! I think I remember seeing 'D'You Know What I Mean?' as one of your 1997 #1s earlier in the thread, so wow at you going off it ohmy.gif happy to hear that it's back in your good books nowadays though haha.

(also I can't believe how different Robyn's music used to be!!)

+Quote Post
danG
post 19 hours ago
Post #86
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I like the whole top 10 here actually, good picks. particularly Sunchyme - great to see that at #1, one of the best dance songs of the 90s.
You're Not Alone another choon. I also knew it from the Tinchy Stryder version first but that has dated badly whilst the original still sounds great.
Spice Up Your Life is one of the girls best, the Oasis song isn't but it's grown on me from having lots of Radio X airplay (my parents like to have it on).
Circles was a great find too, amazed it went that high in the chart although it was a lot easier in that climate.
Angels has suffered a bit from overplay over the years but it's a classic and would probably feature in my top 40 too.
Samba De Janeiro is a bit of a tune as well, the obvious comparison is Carnaval De Paris but I prefer Samba.
Men In Black was #1 on my birthday, not a bad song to be born to really but not one of my absolute faves of the era.

+Quote Post
Jade
post 19 hours ago
Post #87
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

QUOTE(danG @ Feb 16 2019, 10:49 PM) *
I like the whole top 10 here actually, good picks. particularly Sunchyme - great to see that at #1, one of the best dance songs of the 90s.
You're Not Alone another choon. I also knew it from the Tinchy Stryder version first but that has dated badly whilst the original still sounds great.
Spice Up Your Life is one of the girls best, the Oasis song isn't but it's grown on me from having lots of Radio X airplay (my parents like to have it on).
Circles was a great find too, amazed it went that high in the chart although it was a lot easier in that climate.
Angels has suffered a bit from overplay over the years but it's a classic and would probably feature in my top 40 too.
Samba De Janeiro is a bit of a tune as well, the obvious comparison is Carnaval De Paris but I prefer Samba.
Men In Black was #1 on my birthday, not a bad song to be born to really but not one of my absolute faves of the era.

Ooh a 100% top 10 seal of approval, I like this *.* 'Sunchyme' really is an absolute gem, a huge compliment for both of us to call it one of the best dance songs of the 90s when 90s dance was of such a high standard wub.gif Also, I agree that the Tinchy Stryder version of 'You're Not Alone' has not aged well, just sounds like a 2009 Starz TV fave really laugh.gif on the flip side, I still really enjoy the Naughty Boy version of 'Your Woman'. Your Spice opinions are slaying me in this thread so far *.* and yay for Radio X being good for that, my dad stans it also so I totally feel you laugh.gif

I'm so so happy that I stumbled across 'Circles', it says a lot when it's clambered its way into an all-time top 5 after just one year *.* yeah it's crazy that a D&B (almost) instrumental did that well but if 'Come To Daddy' was top 40 hit then anything was possible tbh laugh.gif 'Angels' definitely feels like Robbie's most overplayed song but it hasn't actually hindered my enjoyment of it at all, which is surprising as I feel like I complain about overplay a lot haha. A total classic indeed <3 Robbie may or may not have more to come for 1998 also ohmy.gif and yeah, as much as I love 'Sunchyme' I'm definitely team Samba De Janeiro as well when it comes to that vs. Carnaval De Paris, soz Dario G tongue.gif and oh my, what an iconic birthday #1 *.*

+Quote Post
Bré
post 28 minutes ago
Post #88
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

Dario G is a fantastic choice for #1 heart.gif one of the ultimate examples of songs I knew for ages before knowing what they actually were and being unable to figure out what they are because of not having any searchable lyrics haha. (And a 2 for 1 because I knew the original song it sampled as well, also without knowing what it was).

A little surprised at this Oasis song being so high actually, I didn't know you held that song in such high regard! Tis a good song but not exactly one of my biggest favourites from them. Olive and Adam F both great (Jadekissedonia impakt getting the latter as high as top 5, oh my) and yasss for The Chemical Brothers, Will Smith and King Robbie (community award when) in the top 10 as well!

White Town is probably my least fave song in this entire top 40 oops (sacrilege opinion probably I know but I just find it so boring in comparison to the Naughty Boy/Wiley version which I heard first). (edit: actually it's probably better than 'Too Much' I guess but still not something I'd ever listen to xx)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th February 2019 - 06:39 PM