BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS // BUZZJACK #1 OF THE YEAR 2017
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post 9th January 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

21st Artists for Grenfell - Bridge Over Troubled Water
-10 points

20th Ed Sheeran - How Would You Feel (Paean)
10 points

19th Ed Sheeran - Perfect
70 points

So we kick off with the three songs that were unable to make it to triple figures (including one that couldn't even finish in positive figures..).

The charity release for the Grenfell fire disaster ends up in last place as these charity singles very typically do. One person did actually place it tenth, but two awarded it the -10.

Next up is a double dosage of Ed Sheeran. "How Would You Feel" was released as a promo single and charted at #2 officially but made it to #1 on sales. I listened to this last week so that I could cast my vote fairly having heard all the songs and I don't remember if I'd heard it previously or not, it seems so forgettable and is deservedly the lowest ranked of the five Ed tracks imo, picking up a single score of 10 and nothing else.

Picking up enough love to overcome the NINE -10s awarded (the most of this year, narrowly ahead of Sam Smith) is the Christmas and also the current #1, "Perfect". I can see why it gets the hate it does, it's very typical Ed/him on autopilot and not overly exciting, plus I don't think the multiple versions released in his desperation to get the Christmas #1 helps matters. Personally I don't mind it, I think the chorus is rather sweet and if we draw comparisons to "Thinking Out Loud", I much prefer this. It does help that I don't listen to the radio so it hasn't become overplayed for me.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th January 2018, 04:25 PM
Post #2
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Actually quite surprised that Perfect finished in positive figures! laugh.gif Shame that Artists for Grenfell couldn't finish on positive points, it's a touching cover I think, but it's no shock.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 9th January 2018, 04:27 PM
Post #3
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Wait hang on Buzzjack’s favorite punching bag SAM SMITH in the positive territory?!?!

This ain’t the Twilight Zone, is it

+Quote this post
Brer
post 9th January 2018, 06:05 PM
Post #4
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Neither of those songs (especially 'How Would You Feel (Paean)') are Ed's finest work but the implication that Sam Smith's dirge is better than them is still insulting x

Honestly the cover of 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' wasn't even that bad, it wouldn't have been far off my top 10 in this laugh.gif of course it's not really something I flock to revisit particularly often either though.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 10th January 2018, 12:52 PM
Post #5
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

18th Eminem - The River
170 points

17th Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl
250 points

16th Sam Smith - Too Good At Goodbyes
260 points

Once again we have a double serving of Ed Sheeran, this time starting off with his recent collab with Eminem, the song which took the longest amount of time before featuring in any votes. I rather like this as a throwback to the start of the decade when we had "Love The Way You Lie" and "Airplanes" being massive hits and had it been around for a bit longer, I may have ranked it higher than 8th.

The third single from ÷, Ed's Irish folk inspired number, is the next to fall. It has fans, ironically or otherwise, but also a few haters, picking up five lots of -10. It's kind of a bop but I can also see why it would get annoying when played too much.

Shockingly managing to avoid the bottom five is Sam Smith, much to the despair of the eight people who gave him -10 tongue.gif I STILL QUITE LIKE THIS. It's Sam on autopilot and nothing new or exciting but I've never been a hater of his. If you're looking for someone to blame and burn at the stake for this result, it had scores of 100(!), 70 and 60, none of which were from me!!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th January 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #6
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

'Galway Girl' is actually great and I won't hear otherwise tbh.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 10th January 2018, 06:05 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

wow looks like ed is more hated than sam

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 12th January 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #8
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

15th Ed Sheeran - Shape of You
430 points

14th Wham! - Last Christmas
430 points

13th DJ Khaled - I'm The One
530 points

We have a tie-break as we enter the top 15. Ed could do no better than 15th with his highest entry, the biggest hit of last year, "Shape of You". I did really like it to begin with but it's tired on me heavily and at the minute I prefer "Galway Girl" and "Perfect" so I think you've made the wrong choice Buzzjack x

"Shape of You" received positive scores from 12 individuals and is thus beaten by our anomaly, "Last Christmas", which received 15. I say anomaly but it isn't actually true that this is the only non-2017 release in the countdown of course, but as a decades old Christmas classic, it sticks out more than "One Last Time". I've always found it dreary and not to my taste but "Last Christmas" found itself as a streaming number one at the end of the year following the sad and untimely death of George Michael in 2016.

The first of two entries from DJ Khaled is in 13th and once again I have to express discontent with the order in which they have ended up. "I'm The One" was an instant smash with a little help from Justin Bieber and whilst I don't find it overly special (I didn't vote for it!), it's still far preferable to "Wild Thoughts" for me.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 08:59 AM