BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Fame features on lists of biggest ever female albums, US: #7 | UK: #9
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Adelita
post Oct 17 2021, 07:39 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 82,234
QUOTE(k👠th @ Oct 17 2021, 04:15 PM) *
What are you on about? Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

ABBA are not an all-female act, that's a fact. There is nothing sexist or invalidating about it.

And why can't ABBA be called a girl group since only women sing in its main songs? Because of the men in the group? This is, in fact, a sexist position, check out your concepts.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Adelita
post Oct 17 2021, 07:45 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(-Jay- @ Oct 17 2021, 04:04 PM) *
Which has nothing to do with the fact that Official Charts published an article of best selling albums by female artists. Spice Girls are an all-female act, so they're applicable to be considered to have released a "female album". ABBA is not a female artist. They're a male and female artist, which makes them a mixed gender artist.

Spice is by far the best selling album by a female group, that's why they're the only one amongst a list of solo female artists. The second best selling is 1.6m (Spice Girls again, with Spiceworld) which is too low for this list.

Which is not backing up for them to have included a girl group in the middle of a list of all-female solo acts. Plus, ABBA can indeed be considered a girl group since the group's songs are sung by women.

+Quote this post
Adelita
post Oct 17 2021, 07:48 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
It's like saying that a Beyoncé album is the same thing as a Destiny's Child album. It's not and will never be the same thing, a group is a group, a solo career is a solo career.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 17 2021, 07:54 PM
Post #24
Group icon
User: 13,007
Adelita, with all due respect, you mentioned this achievement by A Star Is Born on the US Billboard charts top albums by females:

QUOTE(Adelita @ Oct 10 2021, 08:04 PM) *
And ASIB is at #47, above other legendary albums like Madonna's True Blue and Like a Virgin, Katy Perry's Teenage Dream, Tina Turner's Private Dancer, Beyoncé's I'm Sasha Fierce, Britney's Oops, and Rihanna’s Good Girl Gone Bad.

Should we omit this from the Billboard list if we are omitting Spice Girls from the UK one because the ASIB soundtrack is by Gaga and Bradley and therefore not a solo female album? unsure.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Oct 17 2021, 09:12 PM
Post #25
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
Adelita, if the list went down far enough then it would include more girl groups. Groups that are made up of only females = female artists. Individual women = female artists. So both are included in a list about female albums! The list is not a solo females list exclusively, nowhere does the article say that, it just so happens that all but one in the Top 30 are solo females.

The two female members of ABBA are 50% of a group which also has two men, by definition that cannot be a girl group or an exclusively female act.

+Quote this post
Adelita
post Oct 17 2021, 11:17 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(HausofWillow @ Oct 17 2021, 04:54 PM) *
Adelita, with all due respect, you mentioned this achievement by A Star Is Born on the US Billboard charts top albums by females:
Should we omit this from the Billboard list if we are omitting Spice Girls from the UK one because the ASIB soundtrack is by Gaga and Bradley and therefore not a solo female album? unsure.gif

Gaga sings in 80% of the length of the soundtrack, which is why the official French chart (SNEP), for example, considers ASIB as her solo album. Shallow was literally Bradley's first entry into the charts, so I see no reason why Billboard shouldn't consider ASIB a Gaga album or a female album, as it is, and that's something totally different than a girl group album.

+Quote this post
Adelita
post Oct 17 2021, 11:34 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
We are not here discussing how a chart credits an artist. OCC did not credit ASIB as a Gaga album, unlike the rest of the charts around the world, while it credited Evita as a Madonna album, even though Gaga composed, produced and orchestrated basically the entire soundtrack, while Madonna had no involvement in Evita besides putting her voice in songs she neither wrote nor produced. I'm not saying something hard to understand: a girl group is not the same as a solo female act, it doesn't matter if OCC or you guys want to put it in the same boat.

+Quote this post
Adelita
post Oct 17 2021, 11:43 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(-Jay- @ Oct 17 2021, 06:12 PM) *
Adelita, if the list went down far enough then it would include more girl groups. Groups that are made up of only females = female artists. Individual women = female artists. So both are included in a list about female albums! The list is not a solo females list exclusively, nowhere does the article say that, it just so happens that all but one in the Top 30 are solo females.

The two female members of ABBA are 50% of a group which also has two men, by definition that cannot be a girl group or an exclusively female act.

But ABBA is only known because of the women in the group, as they are the ones who sing the songs, so yes, ABBA is a girl group, and that has nothing to do with the Spice Girls case, you're mixing things up.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 18 2021, 05:25 AM
Post #29
Group icon
User: 13,007
QUOTE(Adelita @ Oct 18 2021, 12:34 AM) *
We are not here discussing how a chart credits an artist. OCC did not credit ASIB as a Gaga album, unlike the rest of the charts around the world, while it credited Evita as a Madonna album, even though Gaga composed, produced and orchestrated basically the entire soundtrack, while Madonna had no involvement in Evita besides putting her voice in songs she neither wrote nor produced. I'm not saying something hard to understand: a girl group is not the same as a solo female act, it doesn't matter if OCC or you guys want to put it in the same boat.

Not one person has argued that they are the same thing!? People are merely saying that this list is not a list of the biggest selling SOLO female albums. If you were to compile a list of SOLO FEMALE albums and included Spice Girls then you'd have a point - you are changing the parameters of what this chart is celebrating.

To say ABBA are a female group because only the females sing on it is utterly RIDICULOUS. Music is not merely singing; it is a combination of instrumentation with vocals so the instrumentalists should not be discredited.

Also, out of interest, who would you credit an instrumental album to if no-one sings on it?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Oct 18 2021, 01:13 PM
Post #30
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
"ABBA is a girl group" has to be one of the silliest things I've read on BuzzJack Gaga.png

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Oct 18 2021, 01:29 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
I was today years old when I found out that ABBA is a girlband.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Oct 18 2021, 01:30 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
Iconic!!

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Oct 18 2021, 01:59 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
The desperation of a Gaga fan for The Fane to be 1 place higher on some meaningless list is surreal. They are willing to throw all logic out the window, someone needs to go outside to get some fresh air.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 18 2021, 02:23 PM
Post #34
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
mathswoman.png

+Quote this post
k👠th
post Oct 18 2021, 02:36 PM
Post #35
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764
QUOTE(Adelita @ Oct 17 2021, 09:39 PM) *
And why can't ABBA be called a girl group since only women sing in its main songs? Because of the men in the group? This is, in fact, a sexist position, check out your concepts.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Oct 18 2021, 02:42 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073
QUOTE(HausofWillow @ Oct 18 2021, 05:25 AM) *
To say ABBA are a female group because only the females sing on it is utterly RIDICULOUS. Music is not merely singing; it is a combination of instrumentation with vocals so the instrumentalists should not be discredited.

Does this mean that a group where one person has the lead vocals is technically a solo artist? pirate.gif

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post Oct 18 2021, 03:24 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030
oh... did chromatica not make the list? wink.gif

+Quote this post
Adelita
post Oct 18 2021, 03:29 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(HausofWillow @ Oct 18 2021, 02:25 AM) *
Not one person has argued that they are the same thing!? People are merely saying that this list is not a list of the biggest selling SOLO female albums. If you were to compile a list of SOLO FEMALE albums and included Spice Girls then you'd have a point - you are changing the parameters of what this chart is celebrating.

Also, out of interest, who would you credit an instrumental album to if no-one sings on it?

I'm just saying the Spice Girls seem like an anomaly in the middle of a list made up of mostly female solo acts, that’s it.

And there is nothing RIDICULOUS, learn to respect my opinion because that's what I think. You will never find anyone who doesn't know ABBA because of Frida and Agnetha, they are the voice, the image and the heart of the band, I'm not discrediting anyone, just pointing out the protagonists of the band. If you think I'm wrong, introduce me to just one person who has ever bought an ABBA album because of Bjorn and Benny, since they don't even sing on the band's songs, they just produced it. That would be saying that people bought Purple Rain because of The Revolution and not because of Prince.

I would credit this album to its producers, obviously, and that's totally opposite to ABBA's situation.

+Quote this post
Adelita
post Oct 18 2021, 04:16 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(k👠th @ Oct 18 2021, 11:36 AM) *

Yesterday I'd say that you’re an ignorant person, but today I'll say that you may not be prepared to debate this issue and you expressed yourself poorly.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Oct 18 2021, 04:21 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
QUOTE(Adelita @ Oct 18 2021, 03:29 PM) *
I'm just saying the Spice Girls seem like an anomaly in the middle of a list made up of mostly female solo acts, that’s it.

And there is nothing RIDICULOUS, learn to respect my opinion because that's what I think. You will never find anyone who doesn't know ABBA because of Frida and Agnetha, they are the voice, the image and the heart of the band, I'm not discrediting anyone, just pointing out the protagonists of the band. If you think I'm wrong, introduce me to just one person who has ever bought an ABBA album because of Bjorn and Benny, since they don't even sing on the band's songs, they just produced it. That would be saying that people bought Purple Rain because of The Revolution and not because of Prince.

I would credit this album to its producers, obviously, and that's totally opposite to ABBA's situation.

Surely them being an anomaly as the only girlband on the list further proves their success?

Björn and Benny have literally created, written and produced everything — there is no ABBA without them. Such an utterly bizarre argument.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:29 AM