BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

19 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Spice Girls • General Discussion, For Spice chat that isn't regarding the reunion
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
inactiveaccount
post Mar 24 2014, 09:18 AM
Post #81
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030
I wouldn't say that.

I mean the musical was a flop for a number of reasons:

1) Lack of music, its simple. The spice girls have 10 hits. And a musical requires AT LEAST 20. People werent here for random album tracks they hadn't heard in 10+ years.

2) The writing was dreadful and the concept. The musical was a girls night out on a Saturday night (like when me and Eddie went). We got drunk and were plonked in a box. It was fun.

Ideally, had they ventured more into the movie and made it more in that vain, I think it would've lasted longer. The Spice Girls gave us these great characters and they didn't bother using them in a musical about them.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jul 5 2014, 04:27 PM
Post #82
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
Over on DenDen forums, a user called Mrspice has been sharing some snippets of previously unheard Spice Girls demos! They're from the 1999 third album recording sessions, but they were scrapped in favour of the girls going in an R&B direction, i.e. the 2000 released 'Forever'.

Tracks included in the above video are called 'A Day In Your Life', 'If It's Lovin' On Your Mind', 'Right Back At Ya' (original Pop version) and 'Proof'. I think I'm correct in thinking that all 4 of these tracks were recorded with Eliot Kennedy, the man behind their hit single 'Say You'll Be There'.

It's so interesting to hear these songs, 15 years on from when they were recorded! Fans didn't even know that these particular songs (bar Right Back At Ya) even existed, they were never registered titles. I think it's quite a shame that they didn't stick with the pop sound they were initially going for. 'Right Back At Ya' sounds so much better than the version that is on 'Forever'!

Mrspice has hinted that previously unreleased/demo tracks could be used "in conjunction with their next endeavour". I'll keep my fingers crossed for some anniversary editions of their studio albums!

~~~

Remember the thread "Spice Girls 2014" that was posted on Popjustice a few months ago, which lead to rumours of a reunion being on the cards? Obviously nothing came of that (and the poster of that topic requested that his topic was locked until there was further news on the matter). Anyway, a few days ago he wrote "It's not my fault the Spice 'thing' got pushed back", which still implies that something was going to happen. Curious!

+Quote this post
GRIFF
post Jul 5 2014, 04:29 PM
Post #83

QUOTE(CruelIntentions @ Mar 21 2014, 06:19 PM) *
ohmy.gif Not sure what made me think that. He does seem to be respected by some on there. Time will tell.

By those who are impressed with his Twitter profile picture (a meet and greet with Rihanna) PROBABLY.

OH MY GOD he's with Nicole Scherzinger in his avatar as well. Im-f***ing-pressive.

This post has been edited by GRIFF: Jul 5 2014, 04:33 PM

+Quote this post
GRIFF
post Jul 5 2014, 04:31 PM
Post #84

Victoria has pretty much left. Those rumours are all bullshit.

+Quote this post
Umi
post Jul 5 2014, 04:38 PM
Post #85
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659
QUOTE(GRIFF @ Jul 5 2014, 05:29 PM) *
By those who are impressed with his Twitter profile picture (a meet and greet with Rihanna) PROBABLY.

OH MY GOD he's with Nicole Scherzinger in his avatar as well. Im-f***ing-pressive.

Don't comment on matters you know nothing about.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post Jul 6 2014, 09:12 AM
Post #86
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030
Does anyone find it really weird how "W.O.M.A.N" never materialised.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jul 6 2014, 10:46 AM
Post #87
Group icon
It's a shame that it was scrapped, considering they performed it on tour! It's the track the fans have longed for for years. However, Mrspice on DenDen said that it never made it past the demo stage, so supposedly there is no finished version of it anyway.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jul 6 2014, 02:42 PM
Post #88
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Right Back At Ya sounds so much better!

Proof, Lovin and Right Back At Ya here are the best, One Day is dross.

I don't know what went so wrong with that album, honestly. WHy couldn't they get some good producers/ writers, as the then biggest band in the world, to help with it?

This post has been edited by Michael!: Jul 6 2014, 02:45 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jul 7 2014, 01:13 PM
Post #89
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
They never really cashed in (the record company) on rarities, unused songs etc.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Feb 11 2015, 07:18 PM
Post #90
Group icon
Some of their unreleased tracks from 1999 finally leaked yesterday! Clips of the songs had surfaced back in July 2014, but here they are in full:

All four songs were recorded in August 1999. 'Right Back At Ya' was remixed in 2000 to become an r'n'b style track for the 'Forever' album, but this is the original pop version.

There's still a few tracks from 1999 sessions which have yet to leak, Stannard/Rowe produced ones. If anyone is interested in the time line of the 'Forever' album recording, then look here: http://forums.denden.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=4023700#p4023700

Interesting to hear what direction they were going for before they decided to focus on the american produced r'n'b tracks!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Feb 13 2015, 12:13 PM
Post #91
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
These sound great really loving Pain Proof and If It's Lovin' On Your Mind, they were better than the new tracks on the Greatest Hits album, maybe if they kept PP and released it as the lead single from Greatest Hits, then it would have done a hell of a lot better, I know it was recorded during the Forever sessions, but it was just a thought.

They had 14 songs recorded already by the end of the 1999 and I reckon they should have released Forever after the Brit Awards performance, instead of going back to Rodney and Fred Jerkins and recording "Tell Me Why", "Get Down With Me", "Time Goes By" and "Wasting My Time" coz they sound like filler tracks anyway and they even re-recorded Right Back At Ya into an R&B song (much better in it's pop form).

They could have at least finished Woman and here's what they had before going to Jerkins =

Stannard/Rowe 2nd August 1999
Woman
Treasure
Go, Go, Go
Overnight
Too Hot

Kennedy/Lever August 16th 1999
Right Back At Ya (Pop version)
A Day In Your Life
If It's Lovin' On Your Mind
Proof

Rodney/Fred Jerkins August 25th 1999 (1st session)
Holler
Let Love Lead The Way
Weekend Love

Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis September 21st 1999
Oxygen
If You Wanna Have Some Fun
If Ya Do

It would be interesting too see what the original tracks are like, I know some of them leaked but they should at least release these in some form.

+Quote this post
AaronTM
post Feb 13 2015, 10:39 PM
Post #92
Group icon
salty foods parch the human
User: 4,631
Does anyone have a copy of these they could send me?! SPICE GIRLS. I hope they do something for their 20th anniversary next year!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Feb 13 2015, 11:21 PM
Post #93
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
QUOTE(AaronTM @ Feb 13 2015, 10:39 PM) *
Does anyone have a copy of these they could send me?! SPICE GIRLS. I hope they do something for their 20th anniversary next year!

This statement has made me feel so old. sad.gif

+Quote this post
AaronTM
post Feb 13 2015, 11:40 PM
Post #94
Group icon
salty foods parch the human
User: 4,631
QUOTE(mr_aly @ Feb 13 2015, 11:21 PM) *
This statement has made me feel so old. sad.gif

I didn't even process that when I typed it. Their first few singles are what got me into music initially, albeit at quiet a young age. Still, it doesn't seem possible that I should be able to remember something that happened almost 20 years ago. I'm too young for this!!! sad.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Aug 6 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #95
Group icon
Spice Girls to reunite in 2016 - without Victoria Beckham?

The Sun: https://twitter.com/danwootton/status/629396563991793664 | http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showb...-FOUR-Ever.html

Viva FOUR Ever Spice Girls reuniting for tour to mark 20th anniversary... but without Posh

THE Spice Girls are marking 20 years since first releasing Wannabe by reuniting — without Victoria Beckham.

Mel B, Mel C, Geri Halliwell and Emma Bunton will reform for a massive international tour next year.

The four members of the world’s best-selling girl group — with the nicknames Scary, Sporty, Ginger and Baby — made the decision at a secret meeting in London last month.

They will soon begin negotiations with tour promoters and choose their new management team.

Posh Spice Victoria — who joined the girls on top of black cabs for their last appearance at the London Olympics closing ceremony three years ago — insists she it too busy.

The group sold more than 85million records thanks to hits including 2 Become 1, Spice Up Your Life and Viva Forever.

Last night my Spice source revealed: “This will be one of the biggest pop reunions of all time.

“There is a huge demand for the Spice Girls to get back together, especially with the nostalgia around the two-decade anniversary of their first release next summer.

“Mel B flew into London last month to secretly agree the plan with the other three girls. They should each make more than ten million pounds from this.”

The door will be left open for Victoria to rejoin too, but I am told she is resolute. The insider explained: “Victoria wishes the girls the best of luck. She knows the reunion is on but has declined to be involved.

“She is far too busy running her fashion brand and looking after her family to get back on a stage.

“She also feels that they left the stage on an amazing high with their Olympics performance and worries a reunion could tarnish their legacy.”

Mel B has been the driving force behind the reunion but Victoria is believed to have cut all contact with her recently, causing a division in the band.

My source said: “There’s no love lost between Mel B and Victoria, who is still very close to the other girls.

“But Mel has been desperate to make this happen for a long time and she wasn’t going to let Victoria get in the way.

“For a long time they put off the idea of working any projects without her because they wanted to stay as a five-piece, but with the 20th anniversary coming up they realised it was a case of now or never.”

There is now a behind-the-scenes battle between top concert promoters to sign the band.

Their last tour in 2007, which did include Victoria, saw them make £107million in ticket sales and merchandise.

Top concert promoter John Giddings, who organises the Isle of Wight Festival, is desperate to secure the tour.

He said recently: “I love them. Everyone loves them.”

Leading showbiz agent Jonathan Shalit has also been tipped to be involved after signing Mel B and Emma as clients.

Mel B is now 40, Mel C 41, Emma, 39, and Geri, 43 — and the Spice source said: “It will be the four girls who are making the calls about this. There is a lot to work out in terms of their schedules and priorities, but they want to be in control.

“Talks between them are continuing and there are likely to be some official decisions made when they back from their summer holidays in September or October.”

At their peak the Spice Girls were a pop culture phenomenon, spreading their Girl Power catchphrase around the world and earning £50million a year.

Their iconic moments included Geri’s performance in her famous Union Jack dress at the 1997 Brit Awards, pinching Prince Charles on the bum and hanging out with the late Nelson Mandela who described them as “heroes”.

But in 2016 Five Become Four as Spice World returns.

+Quote this post
Maz!
post Aug 6 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #96
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,217
Oh Vicky please do a one off at Wembley Stadium and film it for dvd release. A four piece Spice Girls isn't going to work look what happened in the Forever era.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Aug 6 2015, 09:47 PM
Post #97
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
I'm not shocked at all that Victoria's sitting out but a Spice reunion is good nonetheless!!

+Quote this post
Martyn
post Aug 6 2015, 09:50 PM
Post #98
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66
No one really cares for them as a 4-piece. I mean people may give V.B A LOT of flack but they need to be a five for this to work. The Spice Girls are a great part of the past, but that's just it I don't see how they fit in in 2015 (or 2016) I guess nostalgia will sell out a tour but a new single and album needs to be out of the question after the bomb of Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) unless they re-release that in 2016 with the further tag of (of f*** it we hate each other this is about the moneyeh).

Even if all 5 were involved how would this tour be different from their 2007 tour? They have nothing new to add to it, the only difference is this time I could afford to go. However will people be as willing to pay for 80% of The Spice Girls?

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Aug 6 2015, 09:58 PM
Post #99
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
Yeah I'd imagine this is simply for a reunion tour to celebrate 20 years rather than with any new material! Headlines showed that the public aren't really here for new songs from them I think, which is fair enough, it's all about nostalgia.

+Quote this post
Maz!
post Aug 6 2015, 10:00 PM
Post #100
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,217
QUOTE(Martyn @ Aug 6 2015, 11:50 PM) *
No one really cares for them as a 4-piece. I mean people may give V.B A LOT of flack but they need to be a five for this to work. The Spice Girls are a great part of the past, but that's just it I don't see how they fit in in 2015 (or 2016) I guess nostalgia will sell out a tour but a new single and album needs to be out of the question after the bomb of Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) unless they re-release that in 2016 with the further tag of (of f*** it we hate each other this is about the moneyeh).

Even if all 5 were involved how would this tour be different from their 2007 tour? They have nothing new to add to it, the only difference is this time I could afford to go. However will people be as willing to pay for 80% of The Spice Girls?

I agree with you on the 5 or nothing thing but didn't people go and see 80% of Take That of their first reunion tour back in 2006 without new material.

+Quote this post

19 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

2 users are reading this thread (2 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:36 PM